YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with picking a school
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

pharoh_590
Posted 2008-04-18 10:15 AM (#106412 - in reply to #105976)
Subject: RE: Help with picking a school

I like the fact of taking a course that takes longer to absorbe (six month class) but the one month "concentrated" course has 50 more hours of instructor time.

My next step is to check out the courses and the teachers - each course has about the same curriculum, but I will invest some time into spending with the teachers and see which one "feels" right.

In the meantime I am still working on my own practice daily and regardless if I teach or not when my certification is done...I will still love yoga!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
asananow
Posted 2008-04-18 5:55 PM (#106429 - in reply to #106412)

pharoh_590 - 2008-04-18 10:15 AM I like the fact of taking a course that takes longer to absorbe (six month class) but the one month "concentrated" course has 50 more hours of instructor time. My next step is to check out the courses and the teachers - each course has about the same curriculum, but I will invest some time into spending with the teachers and see which one "feels" right. In the meantime I am still working on my own practice daily and regardless if I teach or not when my certification is done...I will still love yoga!

FYI - The YTT program I took has turned out to be more than 200 hours, though that is how it is registered through Yoga Alliance. 

Posted 2008-04-18 9:19 PM (#106434 - in reply to #106429)

As far as I am concerned, even though teacher trainings are often useful, you learn to teach yoga by teaching yoga. First, you need a strong personal practice with awareness to exactly what you are doing. Second, you need to just do it, see what works for you and find the "yoga teacher" within. There are two basic types of teachers: people who learn yoga and teach what they have learned in their own unique style (having found the unique "yoga teacher" within) and people who try to copy a famous teacher by studying with them or their students and copying that methodology and style. Although most yoga teachers are a bit of both, a beginning teacher needs to decide on a direction that fits their personality and strengths and study accordingly. The path is somewhat different if you want to be a non-dogmatic yoga teacher, an Iyengar yoga teacher, an Astanga yoga teacher, a Bikram yoga teacher, etc. Are you seeking to teach others to find their own path? Teach others to follow your path? Teach others to follow someone else's path? These are not necessarily seperate and/or opposed to each other but it helps for the prospective teacher to clarify their direction in their own mind as they will probably make somewhat different educational choices depending on their answers.
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-04-20 7:49 AM (#106471 - in reply to #106429)

asananow - 2008-04-18 5:55 PM

FYI - The YTT program I took has turned out to be more than 200 hours, though that is how it is registered through Yoga Alliance. 

Same here. The program I attended is described as having a minimum of 370 hours, but my status is RYT-200. The training spanned nine months, and even spread out like that, it was quite overwhelming at times.

Edited by OrangeMat 2008-04-20 7:51 AM
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-04-20 10:37 AM (#106475 - in reply to #105976)

with homework, my "RYT-200" class is a lot closer to 300 hrs, as well. maybe more. (and I'm one of those nerds who's fast with homework. /geek)

Posted 2008-04-20 1:50 PM (#106480 - in reply to #105976)

most of my teachers choose not to register with YA either way. i don't find registering my program worthwhile, and i always tell my students that i'm happy to help them register themselves at a certain point if they wish.

my reasoning for not registering it is probably rather silly. first, the program does exceed guidelines, so that's not at issue. but, i find that the cost and the time to register a program is a bit annoying and rather unnecessary.

and honestly, i'm not sure i want to be associated with msot of those progarms out there anymore. i mean, a lot of them are factory and quick-cert processes that just don't produce good teachers (not that good teachers don't come out of the program, but sometimes i think that's in spite of, not because of, the program! ).

so, i just decided not to register the TT and people can ask about it or not. but, i also don't train a lot of people. i think i'm going to keep the advanced training down to 5-6 students, and the therapeutics to about that as well. i currently have 2 people in the apprenticeship (basic training). i just like to keep things simple.
samoajoe
Posted 2011-01-27 6:08 AM (#202415 - in reply to #105976)
Subject: Re: Help with picking a school

New User

I suggest going to a Christian boarding school. A Christian boarding school is no different in many ways from most other boarding schools. There is a strong academic program, excellent sporting and artistic choices and a healthy environment and location. The advantage though being that the institution is faith based thus giving both staff and students the opportunity to worship together.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)