YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what do you do on a bad day?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

nucleareggset
Posted 2008-04-03 7:48 PM (#105816)
Subject: what do you do on a bad day?

What do you do to get you out of a funk before teaching if you've had a bad day?

I am having a bit of a fibromyalgia flare, don't have any meetings or time in the lab, so I thought I'd avoid the cube farm distractions and work from home on stuff that's all on the computer and make some good progress. But my boss cried foul and said "nope, you have to take a sick day." Only, for fibro, it's under my FMLA, so it's unpaid time off. And that means that I'll just be one day farther behind tomorrow. So yay, more stress. And here I was thinking I was helping myself *and* my group. Ugh.

But I have class to teach tonight. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm in a funk. So what do you do when you've had a "I can't win, no matter how I try" day? I'll do a bit of practice before hand and hope that helps, but maybe your inspiring words will help too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-04-03 8:01 PM (#105817 - in reply to #105816)
Subject: RE: what do you do on a bad da

i find that pranayama and meditation help. that's pretty much it.

i was in a funny mood this morning, and i had a student who was playing stupid in the beginning of class (basically wanted me to demostrate everything, even though she knows all of the movements--the previous teacher for thsi class demo-ed everything and i don't), and i wanted to crush her head.

so, i went to the back of the classroom and did a quick meditation with a 'sat nam' mantra, and then was clear enough to continue the class (the class was holding a gentle forward bend at the time, and so it wasn't too taxing and they could hold it for a minute while i got over myself!)

anyway, i don't know how helpful that is, but you know, you have those days.
hnia
Posted 2008-04-04 2:45 PM (#105836 - in reply to #105816)
Subject: RE: what do you do on a bad day?

I usually feel better after teaching. I hope you do too.

Posted 2008-04-04 3:06 PM (#105837 - in reply to #105816)

I think for teachers, and this is a teachers segment of the board, it is important to leave one's "stuff" outside the studio. Others I am fairly certain, will disagree, at one level or another. I'm not suggesting that we go into the classroom "phoney" or pretending. I'm speaking specifically of handling our business and not allow it to hang on the students as they surely have their own work to do.

Supine pranayama, Viparita Karani, Supta Baddha Konasana, and a modified Savasana with the soles of the feet at the base of the wall really centers me - when I'm not able to meditate, which is the ultimate in connecting with source and leaving that other minutia behind.

Posted 2008-04-04 5:00 PM (#105841 - in reply to #105816)

I prepare for teaching the same as for a performance. I always arrive early, do some breathing and centering, and then really focus on presenting the material and on what the students are doing. I always start my classes with breathing and focusing, so I get into the "right place" at the same time as the students except that I get a head start. No matter what you are doing, if you relax and focus 100%, you will be in the present moment and not bring what happened earlier or what you project will happen later in the day into the picture. Also, if you really pay attention to what each and every student is doing, you don't have time to let other things cloud the picture.
tourist
Posted 2008-04-04 7:27 PM (#105848 - in reply to #105816)

Expert Yogi

I find the main thing is to just go. Once I get there, it all starts to flow. Sometimes it is a rough beginning and I lose words and ask them to get the wrong props and stuff, but generally after the 2nd pose or so, I am rolling. Sometimes I do pranayama or restorative, but other times I know it is better to get the energy moving, so I do backbends and twists. I have a physically demanding job and some days it is hard to think of going out again in the evening to teach, but I am usually glad I do it.
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-04-05 1:05 AM (#105857 - in reply to #105837)

My thanks for all of your suggestions and feedback. Knowing that I wasn't alone on it helped, of course. I had a bit of a practice right before class, and that helped, and it definitely turned out true that once I got into things, it wasn't as bad. It's can be hard to just say "turn it off when you get to your mat, you're there for your students" when you're worried about your only source of income disappearing when your spouse is in the same position thanks to the whims of circumstance.

I took a little while to respond, because I'm not sure if I breach to etiquette protocol...
purnayoga noted: "I think for teachers, and this is a teachers segment of the board,". I may be misreading it, but I wasn't certain if I should not be posting here until I'm "officially" teaching, rather than just teaching free classes for my friends prior to finishing my training and getting my certification? (It's been a long week, so I offer my apologies if I have misinterpreted the statement.)
asananow
Posted 2008-04-05 3:19 PM (#105869 - in reply to #105816)

Glad to hear that class went well and that you are feeling better.  No worries about your post from my point of view.  I am in YTT and only student teach right now, and this is a great place to ask questions of teachers at every point in the spectrum.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Yoga Nidra if I need to get my head or body back from a stressful or sleepless or depressed state.

Posted 2008-04-05 6:23 PM (#105873 - in reply to #105857)

I think that "teachers" mean anyone who is teaching, whether as a student teacher or as an experienced teacher. Since teaching yoga is different than practicing yoga, it is great that there is a place for these more specific teaching related discussions.

Posted 2008-04-05 8:57 PM (#105882 - in reply to #105816)

After my total meltdown in class last year, like Purnayoga mentioned, I knew it was terribly unfair to take my problems into the class. That's what get's me pumped--to know I'm doing the best I can for the students and hopefully that makes their lives a bit more bearable--the smiles and thanks on their way out means I did the right thing.

Posted 2008-04-05 9:33 PM (#105884 - in reply to #105857)

I took a little while to respond, because I'm not sure if I breach to etiquette protocol...
purnayoga noted: "I think for teachers, and this is a teachers segment of the board,". I may be misreading it, but I wasn't certain if I should not be posting here until I'm "officially" teaching...

My reference was not to posters and their qualifications, or lack thereof. My reference was to the nature and direction of my reply, which covered teaching concepts.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-04-05 9:39 PM
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-04-05 9:38 PM (#105885 - in reply to #105884)

purnayoga - 2008-04-05 9:33 PM

nuclear_eggset - 2008-04-04 10:05 PM
....It's can be hard to just say "turn it off when you get to your mat, you're there for your students" when you're worried about your only source of income disappearing when your spouse is in the same position thanks to the whims of circumstance.

If that mindset cannot be dealt with then it should be enjoyed. Otherwise it may leak on the students. So if the teacher cannot find one of those two paradigms perhaps a break from teaching might be appropriate.

It is not "turning it off" as that would be avoiding or suppressing. I'm suggesting dealing, facing, coping, and processing. It is part of going into class energetically clean (not perfect).

I have to admit, I don't know how to turn it off and fully cope in only three hours. (That's how much time there is between when I left work and my class started. And definitely not yet sure how I enjoy cutting our joint income in half without our mortgage being cut in half as well. ;) Maybe that's stage 37 of enlightenment. (I'm being silly, intentionally.)

My practice before hand and the focus needed for the class was enough to keep my work concerns from coming 'to the mat' as it were, and I continue to appreciate the advice.

Posted 2008-04-05 9:42 PM (#105886 - in reply to #105816)

Yes, of course. That is a tough spot to be in and sometimes things happen right before class to stir the pot.

Sometime it's 30 minutes instead of three hours.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-04-05 9:42 PM
tourist
Posted 2008-04-06 11:21 AM (#105903 - in reply to #105886)

Expert Yogi

Or less than 10 minutes! I've had some incidents driving to teach that have shaken me enough that it took some time to settle in and no time to do much more than take a few breaths and go. We chant the invocation to Patanjali before beginning a class so I am able to extend the time we sit and center before starting in to asana. I often tell students that sitting in sukhasana and closing your eyes is like walking into a different room. Once I am there and with eyes closed, I have walked out of my daily life room and into a space that is dedicated to yoga. The first OM often eliminates a great deal of the stuff that is floating around in my head and takes my focus to yoga.

Posted 2008-04-06 2:06 PM (#105909 - in reply to #105816)

Play to your strengths while developing your weaknesses.
If one is not skilled at processing the potential schmootz that comes up before teaching then get good at it. Make 15 minutes available to yourself before every class and use that time to meditate, connect with the central channel, and ground, before interacting with the energies of the students.

I understand the concept of getting centered with the class when we all sit down together. It is, of course, important to unify and harmonize the entire group, including the teacher. So that is critical. But there is something else we bring to our students when we walk in the space already centered. And that should not be confused or blurred with what we do in the opening meditation.

Frankly, there are some days where it is very obvious I cannot hold the energy of the room during the opening meditation because I've neglected to come to class "prepared" (centered). On those days, waiting to center myself during the opening meditation (breathing, sitting, Oms et al) is simply too late. At that point it violates Asteya as I am stealing from the students, just as I would be if I did not get enough rest the night before a morning class.

So as your abilities as a teacher grow, as you become more adapt at coping with life's fluctuations (hopefully one's training, practice, teaching get one there) you will be able to handle what comes up 10 minutes before class. Until then meditate for 15 minutes before class.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-04-06 2:13 PM

Posted 2008-04-06 3:55 PM (#105913 - in reply to #105816)

i think that most teachers strive to leave their "stuff" outside of the classroom, so that their work can be for the students.

but, teachers are also human, and sometimes stuff gets kicked up. i mean, student's actions will often "kick up" stuff in me (such as the student i mentioned above), and so after class, i really look at what got kicked up.

in the moment, of course, i have to take the opportunity to clear the mind, so that i don't continue in that head space, as it would affect the teaching.

but afterwards, i really do look into it. i've been dealing with a lot of woman-related issues (or rather, relating to women issues), and i think her behavior demonstrated something to me related to that. i haven't put my finger on it exactly, but it's definitely something that i'm paying attention too.

i often find that, in teaching, if i'm open to what happens to me as much as i'm open to what happens to them, then i get MAJOR lessons in class. that is, i learn quite a bit from them!

sometimes, it's simple to accept stuff, like an awesome new modification process or what have you, and sometimes, they might push a button (one that i'm probably already working on in some shape or form), and i'll center again, but make that mental note.

and wow, does it change things big time.
AKBrooker1
Posted 2008-04-06 3:59 PM (#105914 - in reply to #105816)

This thread comes at an interesting/trying time for me. It took time for me to clear away some fog and have a better feel for what my heart--and not just my brain--feels as an appropriate response. My father passed away a week ago--not totally unexpected but can you ever really be ready for such loss. I was working at a part-time job when I received the news and maybe it was part numbness, or just no thought of what else I could do, but I just continued to work. I do not live near any of my family and travelling to be with them then seemed too little and too late.

I thought of one of Bikram's sayings that we do yoga to strengthen/quiet our bodies in turn to strengthen/quiet our minds, and that a strong mind can hear anything without losing its temper or self-esteem. Maybe a strong mind also can retain its sense of peace and stillness. I thought of the balance yoga provides in our lives, letting go of the over-attachment to positive experience and the aversion to negative experience. I remembered Bikram cancelling a just-started class when he got the news that his friend and long-time student Juliet Prowse had passed. I thought of how I had wished he had responded at the time and how I have worked to lose my judgement of others over the years--something I obviously still struggle with. I knew I had class to teach the following morning with noone to substitute and that I would refuse to cancel. I wondered how I would respond if I had the opportunity to practice as well and camel or another asana released a flood of feelings. I do not easily share emotion or personal feelings with students--I don't feel it's right to influence their class experiences with events occurring in my life.

I am probably lucky that my Monday morning class is Bikram and whether or not my dialogue resembles the script anymore, I at least need put no thought into the class sequence. I realize now that with enough practice there is the similarity that whether teaching or practicing, your body and mind enter your yoga zone for class. I taught all my classes last week and only told one student--who wished to record class--of my week's events. I know that over the years I have taught many classes when I physically was not at my best and I have taught from that zone. I'm sure there have been many lesser events, some emotional, some mentally trying, that have occurred and no student--or friend--has questioned me to if something was wrong. This is probably difficult for people who are more emotional but for me it is part of the practice--and that it is a practice is important. We don't do--or teach--yoga, we try. I feel it partly as a gift, when I step into the studio I know these people have paid to have me make that effort. How can that not provide the energy to try.

Posted 2008-04-06 5:09 PM (#105916 - in reply to #105816)

i'm sorry for your loss.

Posted 2008-04-07 2:05 AM (#105923 - in reply to #105816)

Rick,

the man who was my dad passed a couple of years ago. Illness seemingly came from nowhere and in a matter of weeks he was gone at age 62. While everyone else was effusing a lilt I was angry. And Henry and I spoke about it very frankly. It felt more real to share what I was really feeling which was basically "hey I though we had time and why the heck are you bailing on me".

For me it was not a strength of mind but rather a softening and vulnerability that allowed me to feel and grow through the process. I suppose that can be called a strong mind but I do not think of it so. And now it seems Henry is more present in his passing than he was in his physical body. I feel his guidance frequently and it is a very sweet feeling. But it has taken a long time to sense that presence and there are days where I will still feel he's right down the street, only a phone call away.

Every grieving process is different and we can honor our own place without superimposing where we think we should be or how we think we should feel. I am certain the community here supports you in that endeavor.
tourist
Posted 2008-04-07 10:19 AM (#105941 - in reply to #105914)

Expert Yogi

Rick - thanks for that post and you have my deep condolences. I think we teach our students a lot when we choose to teach through difficult personal times and likewise when we choose not to teach, whether or not we reveal our losses/problems to them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)