YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginners and power, part 2
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

joyfulflow
Posted 2008-04-02 12:49 PM (#105759)
Subject: Beginners and power, part 2

Hi everyone,
I have a two-fold question, but first, some background. We recently touched on a similar topic regarding beginners and power yoga, but I wanted to expand on something we mentioned in that posting.

I recently switched from teaching intermediate-level vinyasa at a studio to teaching "power yoga" at a local gym. It's a great gym -- very "total health" focused and yoga-friendly. I'm really enjoying it and have adjusted pretty well to a shorter class time and a more physically intense but less advanced (in terms of asana) format.

The problem I have is that after about a month and a half there, I can see that 95% of my regular students are not ready for power yoga. The form problems I see are at times frightening, and even students who say they've been practicing with other teachers for quite some time don't seem to know even the basics of safety or how to structure the essential postures. (Who on earth are these teachers and what the hell are they teaching?!)

As I said before, I am not allowed to tell people they should not be in my class -- the policy is that all are welcome. I believe my class description (which I did not write) says something like, "Some prior knowledge of hatha yoga postures is helpful, but not necessary."

I have approached the management about teaching a five-week intro series seasonally on a different night. I have also started taking the first 5 minutes of class to have them gather around and watch me demonstrate various form problems and solutions. I of course started with chaturanga-upward dog-downward dog. Despite that, I still see almost every one of them refusing to modify even when I say to go to the knees, sinking through the shoulderblades and hips, flaring the elbows, and crashing down to the floor... it's like I never said anything.

Beyond what I've done and am doing, I'm not sure if there's much more I can do and at what point it becomes their responsibility to keep their own bodies safe and pay attention to the instruction. While I love vinyasa yoga, it frustrates me that I'm not able to provide what I see these people needing. I pretty much just provide verbal reminders and due to the pace, limit corrections to what is urgent, as was mentioned in the earlier posting. I do know sloppiness is a given early on -- I recall I was sloppy and the problems just worked themselves out with time and increased strength.

So with a long prelude, here are my questions:

1. It's clear by the continued attendance that these beginners are enjoying what I'm teaching and that power yoga is what they want -- how do I reconcile the fact that I just don't feel they are physically ready? I see shoulder injuries in the making, but if they flat-out ignore my instructions to modify, what else can I do or say to them? It seems at some point, their responsibility for their well-being needs to rest on their shoulders, but I'm having a hard time with that idea.

2. My beginners at the gym are far more "beginner" than the ones I had at the studio, and as I have never been at that level myself asana-wise, I feel I am at a disadvantage sometimes in relating to what they're feeling and anticipating how their bodies work. There are certain ranges of motion I took for granted in most people and am surprised when many of these students can't get what I had previously considered the most basic of movements, or understand the most basic anatomical terms. That said, do you all have any suggestions for "theme classes" or apex postures that could be helpful for beginners and still interesting for more experienced students? I'm curious whether any of you have ideas for these that would help beginners feel they've had success -- perhaps finding themselves able to do a pinnacle posture they wouldn't have thought they could do. Right now, for most of them, even working the shoulder behind the knee is a long ways off, and I have not taught any inversions yet beyond lying on the back and elevating the hips with a block.

I'm in new territory and because I can see that the potential for really helping people in their daily lives is so great (far more than at the studio), I'm even more excited for them and want to encourage them. I have an ex-football player who used to scoff at yoga who has been at every class and in whom I already see progress. I really admire their tenacity in basically signing up for regular discomfort in breaking old habits and patterns and want to cultivate the joy in it as much as possible.

Thanks, guys.
Sara
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-04-02 1:01 PM (#105760 - in reply to #105759)
Subject: RE: Beginners and power, part 2

If you demonstrate the modification instead of the "full" pose, more people will do it. No one wants to do the "sissy" way, so show them the modification only. Later you can show those who are ready the "full" pose, but keep demonstrating the modification.
hnia
Posted 2008-04-02 1:02 PM (#105761 - in reply to #105759)

Hi Sara,

It's okay to vent here. I've been in this place before. This is the way I handle it.

I do demos and give modifications., i.e. bent knees, cat/cow, or lying flat and doing cobra instead.

When they refuse to listen. (which it sounds like they are doing) . Warn them and move on. You could also do this: instead of 20 chaturangas, do 5 and use plank and cobra variations for the other 15. Make them hold plank for 2 minutes! That will make them stronger!

Give them forearm plank and dolphin variations too.

Posted 2008-04-02 1:10 PM (#105762 - in reply to #105759)
Subject: RE: Beginners and power, part

first, i'll do as jimg asserts. in most classes that are "all levels" i teach mostly from modifications. all lstudents--including my very experienced ones--are expected to do the modification UNLESS i tell that specific student otherwise.

also, i discuss how every student is modified in their own way.

second, i lead a series of "focus" classes. i don't talk about it at all. i just teach class as i normally might, and then teach the "focus pose" taht i feel needs to be taught. for example, if i have to focus my folks on chaturanga, then i first start by doing a different vinyasa (without chaturanga) for the warm up, and then i do the class as a predominately abs class (to get the feeling of the bandhas in the postures). in the next class, i might do one that focuses on plank pose and side plank.

then, i'll do one that focuses on modified chaturanga. and then i'll do one teaching chaturanga (if necessary at this time).

then, i might teach the vinyasa aspect--the transitions--and then reintroduce full sun salutations to the class.

then, i might notice that triangle is a mess. so i'll do work on that one for a number of classes.

joyfulflow
Posted 2008-04-02 1:19 PM (#105766 - in reply to #105759)

Ah yes, I'm a woman of many words, as you may have noticed. Thank you; holding plank is a great idea, as are using the basics as pinnacle postures.

I need to get beyond something else here, which is ... I'm bored to death in most power or vinyasa classes that are supposed to be all-levels. I find they seldom are, and that they all use the same postures and sequences with very little creativity, and cater exclusively to the newbies. I guess that's why I'm really going to push the "intro" idea.

Posted 2008-04-02 1:39 PM (#105769 - in reply to #105759)

well, i have found that my classes really can be 'all levels' but it's about creating a culture. so if i get a bunch of newbies, then i have to create that expectation in their culture--so that no one gets "off" of the alignment.

if i don't do that, then everyone goes off alignment trying to compete. so it's really important for me to draw back and do these "intensives." it should also be noted that these intensives do help the more experienced students, and when i get a class where it's only experienced students, i'll step people into new poses--using the cultural process of modifications that i've already introduced--and then they'll start learning the more fun/dynamic stuff.

another thing that i do is that i have a "special class" each quarter that is by "audition only." i always fill this class, and i find that people who want to take this class will come to my regular classes in order to get the "in" into that class. so, it builds my client list without me having to do anything different.
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-04-02 1:56 PM (#105770 - in reply to #105759)

I'm just beginning in my teaching, still 'practice teaching' while I am in training, so take what I say with that in mind, but here's what I've learned from practice teaching with friends, including going through surya C many times, and surya A last night*.

jimg's suggestion of demonstrating the modification has worked very well for me. in a case where it seems like the majority of the class (or even a few strong willed students) aren't ready for the full pose, just don't give them the option. do the modification, and strongly encourage the modification, noting that you're working on the subtle actions and focusing on particular areas that need more mental attention than the full pose may allow for (which may be true at this stage for these students). I've stopped and waited (for everyone to catch up, of course ;) ), when I give an instruction (like "come to your knees" for chaturanga modifications), and told people specifically to make the modification, if they're not doing it. (gently, of course.)

also, especially if you're doing more than one round of something, consider stepping out of doing the poses with them, and going around and making small adjustments, even if it's nothing more than tactile sense on body parts they need to move, so they know *where* you want them to adjust their bodies.

the other thing I did last night, when I was teaching surya B as the theme of the class, was to specifically teach the most important poses as part of the warmup. so, I specifically taught plank, chaturanga on knees, bhujangasana, and utkatasana, on their own and separately before we did the surya's. in this case, I took my time doing it, but I might often use the dynamic warmup sequence for a little while to remind them of the actions of the vinyasa from plank to chaturanga on knees to bhujangasana (back to child's pose), before going right to a surya B.

the response I got from the students was that they liked it. given exactly what you described, that students like to push and push, regardless of form, I also used it as my first attempt to bring in a little yoga philosophy, specifically vairagya, encouraging them not to be attached to pushing through each and every part of each and every sequence, but just observing what their body was doing and wanted to do. I think it helped a bit, but my students may also have been a bit more forgiving of themselves, as I'm not in a gym setting.

*Note: This is the fourth week of practice teaching (though it's not strictly a "series"), and I've been working them up to surya A. Some people have done yoga before, but varying kinds. Others haven't. Some are strong, some aren't. Some are flexible, some aren't. So I'm treating it as a level 1/2, with a good deal of variation. None of the students are advanced in the asanas, but most are ... headstrong, and all but one or two of the 11 who regularly come are engineers true-to-form (mentally). hehehe... (just thought some background would be helpful for context)

Posted 2008-04-02 3:28 PM (#105775 - in reply to #105759)

I'm going to take a more philosophical approach to my answer rather than a pragmatic one.
The pragmatic answers seem very sound and I'd have nothing to contribute on that front.

But what does come to mind is that you've selected a style of teaching that does not appear to be in alignment with your priorities relative to safety. And I want to be clear that I believe the safety concern you present is both appropriate and refreshing to hear.

But the situation must be watched for it can create a disharmony in the teacher - if it has not already. And that disharmony, that outward doing that is not unified with the inner believing creates a gap in integrity. At that point it is very difficult to teach Yoga no matter what style one is teaching.

When the teacher makes safety the number one priority they must do everything in their power to convey it without being consumed by it AND let it go once they have. If safety is not the number one priority than one can go on their merry way without a care in the world.

Posted 2008-04-02 9:18 PM (#105786 - in reply to #105759)

joyfulflow - 2008-04-02 9:49 AM

I'm curious whether any of you have ideas for these that would help beginners feel they've had success -- perhaps finding themselves able to do a pinnacle posture they wouldn't have thought they could do.

I have an ex-football player who used to scoff at yoga who has been at every class and in whom I already see progress.

I'm curious also - how do you define progress? Sucesss?

If your students keep coming back - why do you think they feel unsuccessful? And or need to feel "success."

Why does it have to be "power yoga" Why not teach at the level of the students?

Vic
joyfulflow
Posted 2008-04-03 12:39 AM (#105792 - in reply to #105759)

Vic,
By progress, I mean that in this particular student, I see an increased awareness of his own body, better alignment, more purposeful breath, and increased concentration. By success, I mean that that they shouldn't leave feeling discouraged, as if they've been unable to do anything correctly. That was the advice my teacher gave me as well about teaching beginners -- don't overcorrect, give them a lot of postures they can do and praise them. I didn't say my students feel unsuccessful; I said I'm concerned about injuries in the long term.

Since I'm teaching at a gym, I'm teaching a class the gym wants on its schedule. And I do want to teach vinyasa yoga. There are already so many level 1 and "gentle" classes out there, I'm assuming people are seeking out my class because they want more of a challenge. I also have to teach what I know and love, and that is vinyasa. As I said, though, I would like to teach an intro series and still keep my power class. Even with my power class, I am still going to set aside the first part of class to talk about and demonstrate alignment.

Gordon,
You've expressed this value before, and quite eloquently, and I definitely agree with you. I will keep that in mind as I continue. It's not the style of yoga that gives me the safety concerns but more the level and lack of awareness of the students. I practice vinyasa mindfully, and they can learn to do the same. I feel if I scale back somewhat and devote that first bit to discussion, I can bring the students to that level while still providing what the more experienced students are looking for. All the suggestions here have been really helpful.

And on a semi-related note, while I agree that we should be teaching what's in our hearts, more and more I see that teachers are teaching what clubs and clientele want, for the most part, at least in a fairly rural area like mine. The reality is that where I live, there are few teaching opportunities and I currently teach at a fitness club where the majority of interested participants are mostly beginners -- office workers with a very casual interest in yoga (who possibly were referred by a doctor) and also tend to be born-again Christians. That makes for a very different class type and environment. But, it is what is needed. For some, the door just needs to be opened.

Will I resent that over time? I guess that remains to be seen. In my ideal world, I would be teaching a three-hour class every week at a studio to very serious and regular students, and we'd be practicing pranayama, philosophy, restorative postures, and meditation as well. Followed by a dip in the hot tub, of course! But that's not realistic here. So I do my best with what I have.

I do play Indian music and use Sanskrit terms and work in philosophy but in layman's terms, trying to relate concepts to everyday life. I don't want to turn off the religious students when I can phrase things in a way that's more inclusive, while still remaining true to the values I want to convey. So far, so good. For example, last week I basically explained the chakra system, but I did it by discussing various emotions that manifest physically in the body, with tangible examples ... gut feelings, butterflies in the stomach, heartbreak, a lump in the throat when we're unable to communicate.

Posted 2008-04-03 2:34 AM (#105796 - in reply to #105759)

Interesting stuff and since it's a Yoga Teacher's section not a General section...

I am certain there are other methodologies to teaching and I'm sure there are some hybrids which mix and match, though I cannot speak to the efficacy of such a construct. I teach, generally speaking, in the whole-part-whole methodology. It has carried over from my basketball coaching career and been reinforced in my teacher training.

So when I see students in the classical surya namaskar who do not have the slightest integrity in ashtanga namaskarasana I am compelled to shift my teaching priority from the benefits of moving to the integrity of learning. We stop and cover what needs to be covered. Then we return to surya namaskar and see what we've gained, what we've learned, what growth we've manifested.

One of the things my teacher has emphasized is the importance of (our) teachers looking to see that students are doing the instruction given and not moving on until it is. If they are not, then it needs to be repeated in as many different ways until it is being done. That is instruction. In the absence of the doing it is merely monologue.

I agree that students should have their needs met but again not at the expense of the teacher sacrificing her/his truth. It is equally possible to get carried away with too much "exercise" and not enough yoga as it is to get carried away with too much "yoga" and not enough "exercise". Though ultimately we're YOGA teachers and the expectation we'd teach something else is slightly ludicrous.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-04-03 2:38 AM
joyfulflow
Posted 2008-04-03 2:50 AM (#105798 - in reply to #105759)

All good points, and I have much to ponder before next week. On a practical level, I think we'll return to the classical sun salutations, but add in a few held high planks to build strength.

I'm with you on not overwhelming beginners with "lofty" information as well, and I'm also a pretty no-nonsense person. I've often found myself rolling my eyes internally over fruity language. But a lot of what seems so esoteric to the average person who's getting into yoga is actually very real-world, which is why I think talking about chakras in terms of storing stress or experiencing emotions on a physical level is pretty accessible to just about anyone. By the same token, many would be freaked out if you started talking about uniting the atman with universal consciousness, but it is quite neutral and nonoffensive to talk about connectedness with everything around you. Even with pranayama, I never talk about the nadis or kundalini -- but I do talk about balancing both sides of the body, getting rid of stale air, increasing lung capacity, and bringing focus/calm/increased energy. Everybody can relate to that.

Outside of the experience of asana, I guess I feel the need to show these new people why yoga is more beneficial to them then hamstering it on the treadmill and stretching, to give them an idea of what they're doing and why in a way they can apply to daily life. The method of delivery is the trick, I guess.

Thanks for your thoughts, all of you, and Nuclear for the series description.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)