YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Antique Appliance Repair/Parts
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2008-03-24 1:21 PM (#105420)
Subject: Antique Appliance Repair/Parts

Expert Yogi

Okay Ya'll, I need some help.

This past weekend I inherited a 1938 Hamilton Beach Stand Mixer. The reason I have it is because when the man selling it a local yard sale plugged it up, after telling me it ran great, and it started smoking. He told me I could have it.

It's a cool mixer. My Mother had one just like it when we were kids...maybe, not quite as old, but close.

Anyway, this motor was manufactured by Scovil out if Rancin, Wisconsin. I've searched everywhere trying to find someone that would be interested or knows how to work on these old types of motors. It's the kind that has gears, grease and all. Any ideas??

I've contacted Hamilton Beach, that was a joke since everything is now throw away (madeinchina) and they had not a clue. I called a machine shop in Rancin, who told me 30 years ago there used to be a place that repaired Hamilton Beach appliances, and now they are out of business.

Thanks a lot. I know this isn't yoga related, but I figured somebody here might have a clue, suggestion or idea...or maybe knows how to tinker with these kinds of things.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-03-24 1:24 PM (#105422 - in reply to #105420)
Subject: RE: Antique Appliance Repair/P

i honestly, and sadly, have no clue.

it's days like that when you need a hippie, and i'm serious. thre are hippies around here, and they can do all sorts of things. id on't know how they do it, but i think they're magical or something.

sorry that i'm not more helpful.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-03-24 1:56 PM (#105426 - in reply to #105422)

Expert Yogi

Yea it's really hard because most of the people that knew how to tinker with things like this are long passed away. We opened up the motor today and OMG, they don't make motors like these for appliances anymore. It was way too cool. I'm in the process of finding an old vacuum cleaner repair guy or someone who tinkers with small engines and/or motors. There's a guy in our nearby town that has an old shop that I'm going to tomorrow. Oh well.
tourist
Posted 2008-03-24 7:07 PM (#105440 - in reply to #105426)

Expert Yogi

This is an area where the internet excels! If you don't find someone by posting here, you will certainly find one somewhere in the cyber world. Ebay, Craig's list, freecycle - all great options. You may find a totally new motor somewhere. Good luck!

And congratulations - this may be the farthest OT thread ever!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-03-25 7:20 AM (#105458 - in reply to #105420)
Subject: RE: Antique Appliance Repair/Parts

I know why you would want it fixed for sure. I have an old Sunbeam mixmaster stand mixer my grandmother gave me. It's stainless steel, and beautiful. Good luck.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-03-25 9:42 AM (#105462 - in reply to #105420)
Subject: RE: Antique Appliance Repair/Parts

Expert Yogi

Of course Karman, that was the first thing I did,

Well, I lucked up and found this old motor/machine shop, Father-Son operation, that said they'd be happy to fix it for me and that they did these things all the time. They're just around the corner from my house. I love these little places that tinker with motors and small appliances. It's such a lost art. The son is continuing on his Father's business, which I thought was so neat.

Anyway, these old machines are incredible. I wish they still manufactured stuff like this, we'd all be better off and it sure would help our planet. Thanks...I'll keep ya posted on how it turns out and how my first recipe turns out too!

Posted 2008-03-25 10:27 AM (#105463 - in reply to #105420)

send me something that comes out of it. pregnant women are hungry! LOL!

Cyndi
Posted 2008-03-28 10:19 AM (#105560 - in reply to #105463)

Expert Yogi

Well, it's fixed. BUT, the man told me that the gears were worn down and to bee careful. He basically told me to use it as a display. I'm like What?? A display for what??? So, needless to say, it's going to be a conversation piece for my kitchen...HOWEVER, I can use it for small things...but not for bread...which is okay, I like making my bread from my hands anyway. I've been seriously considering a new KitchenAid anyhow...I'm just mad that they are made in China. I'm been looking at this other commercial one that i think is made in Switzerland. I can't remember all the details. I just know I have boycotted China and refuse to buy if I can help it. So, what would you like ZB?? What are you craving these days??

Posted 2008-03-28 11:04 AM (#105562 - in reply to #105420)

hard to say, honestly. maybe muffins? i don't want to break it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)