YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bhagavad gita
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

bdegregory
Posted 2008-03-21 10:29 PM (#105349)
Subject: bhagavad gita

Hello Everyone -

I'm somewhat new to Yoga and was looking for advice in learning about the Bhagavad Gita or something to deepened my understanding of the foundations of yoga.

I live in San Francisco and was hoping that there might be a class someone can refer me too?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-03-21 10:58 PM (#105351 - in reply to #105349)
Subject: RE: bhagavad gita

shrimad Bhagavadgita is NOT a Yoga Exercise book and has NOTHING to do with Yoga Exercises that you learn from the Yoga Studios, per say.

If you are new to Yoga meaning Yoga Exercises, and you want to learn yoga exercise, I am sure you shall find good studios in SF.

As for Shrimad Bhagavadgita, you need to find a person that knows Sanskrit. I suggest you go to Local Maharastra Mandal (google in that area) or Sanskirt related organizations, and then you shall find a good resource.

Best Luck

bdegregory - 2008-03-21 10:29 PM

Hello Everyone -

I'm somewhat new to Yoga and was looking for advice in learning about the Bhagavad Gita or something to deepened my understanding of the foundations of yoga.

I live in San Francisco and was hoping that there might be a class someone can refer me too?

Thanks

Posted 2008-03-21 11:50 PM (#105353 - in reply to #105349)

If your interested in the yoga sutras - the folks at Healing Yoga teach a fantastic class that includes chanting.

http://www.healingyoga.org/schedule.html

Vic

Posted 2008-03-22 1:28 AM (#105358 - in reply to #105349)

I would not presume about your question as Neel has here.

What advice would you like about the Gita other than to read it and savor it?
To deepen your understanding it may be helpful to study with someone as experiencing yoga tends to be more fruitful than pontificating about it. Though we do quite a bit of the latter here, do we not?

In your area there are many fine senior teachers to study with. I recommend Judith Lasater.
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-02-22 9:01 PM (#113846 - in reply to #105349)
Subject: Re: bhagavad gita

i would think in SF there would be many resources: hindu temples, yoga studios, spiritual study groups, are all places that could help you become familiar with the Gita
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-02-22 11:49 PM (#113848 - in reply to #105349)

Dear BDG:

My lectures in informal setting on ShrimadBhagavadGeetaa shall be released within two weeks from now. There are 18 lectures of 1 hour each, I believe. I might produce them in mp3 format so that the number of Audio CDs will be fewer. You can email me or see my site after a few weeks.

About Yoga Sutras, my lectures are available from me on the site.

Best Luck

bdegregory - 2008-03-21 10:29 PM

Hello Everyone -

Thanks
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-02-25 6:48 AM (#113911 - in reply to #105349)

BDG,

nice that you are listening to your inner call to study Bhagavad Gita.

Yoga is one. Whether doing asana, pranayama chanting or studying scripture, all of these inform and complement the others.
floatingyoga
Posted 2009-03-05 4:41 PM (#114211 - in reply to #105349)

I just did a three day workshop with Edwin Bryant a Rutgers Univ professor. It was truly amazing. Check out his website to see when he will do it again. www.edwinbryant.org

give it a go, you will not be sorry!!!

kulkarnn
Posted 2009-03-06 8:37 AM (#114236 - in reply to #114211)

Dear Purna: I like your new avatar. It is your real picture, I believe. It is really good and far better than all your previous avatars.

But, I could not understand what assumption on my part you have mentioned. Please clarify. I answered the original question directly from my point of view.
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-03-06 3:34 PM (#114258 - in reply to #114236)

edwin bryant is quite good

Posted 2009-03-07 12:00 PM (#114305 - in reply to #114236)

kulkarnn - 2009-03-06 5:37 AM

Dear Purna: I like your new avatar. It is your real picture, I believe. It is really good and far better than all your previous avatars.

But, I could not understand what assumption on my part you have mentioned. Please clarify. I answered the original question directly from my point of view.

Real picture, yes indeed. Thank you.

I'd be delighted to clarify. The assumption I reference is that the OP was inquiring about asana or "yoga exercises". There's is nothing in the question that would lead to such a leap - though there may be something in your consciousness that would:-)

Edited by purnayoga 2009-03-07 12:04 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-03-08 12:18 AM (#114324 - in reply to #114305)

Yes. I agree. Due to something in my consciousness, I thought the OP had Yoga Exercise in mind. Thanks for clarification.

What happens is that OP says he is new to YOGA and he is from SF or somewhere, and these two make me feel that the OP thinks BG will be starting point for his study. That is why I made that statement.

Hurray.

purnayoga - 2009-03-07 12:00 PM

kulkarnn - 2009-03-06 5:37 AM

Real picture, yes indeed. Thank you.

I'd be delighted to clarify. The assumption I reference is that the OP was inquiring about asana or "yoga exercises". There's is nothing in the question that would lead to such a leap - though there may be something in your consciousness that would:-)
rae rae
Posted 2009-04-10 12:27 PM (#115296 - in reply to #105349)

I am currently reading the The Bhagavad Gita and I understand why you would want to also.

I purchased my english translation version at Barnes & Noble, but I believe you can get it at any bookstore or on Amazon.com. The one I have is translated by Eknath Easwaran and it comes with a brief preface to the scripture.

Namaste!
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-04-10 2:07 PM (#115302 - in reply to #105349)

there are MANY translations available. i very much like (as rae rae does) eknath easwaran's translation. i also am very fond of stephen mitchell.
karmatika
Posted 2009-05-09 4:21 PM (#115844 - in reply to #105349)

well, dont know who is still interested, but I just wanted to inform that there is a Bhagavd Gita course taking place >NOW, in the Sivananda Yoga Retreat in the Bahamas (Paradise Island). It's a 10 days course given by Swami Swaroopananda. The course farme includes studies as well as practicing asanas in the morning, meditation and yogi food (vegeterian of course, and tasty). More details about the course can be found on their web site: www.sivanandabahamas.org
It is a great opotunity to deepen knowledge and injoy the ocean !!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)