YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pectus excavatum + flared ribs
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

wannabepanda
Posted 2008-03-17 12:11 PM (#105089)
Subject: pectus excavatum + flared ribs

im 21 now and have pectus excavatum. its something i found out about 4 years ago, not too sure exactly when. i've read that it is closely associated with flared ribs, but when i look it up on google, i cant find out exactly what it is online. i was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me here...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2008-03-18 4:09 AM (#105125 - in reply to #105089)
Subject: RE: pectus excavatum + flared ribs

"Pectus excavatum is a congenital (present at birth) abnormality that can be mild or severe. The child typically has a depression in the center of the chest over the sternum, and this may appear quite deep. It is caused by excessive growth of the the connective tissue joining the ribs to the breastbone, which causes an inward malformation of the sternum.

If pectus excavatum is severe, it may affect the heart and lungs, making exercise difficult. Also, the appearance of the chest may cause psychological difficulty for the child.

Pectus excavatum may occur as the only abnormality, or in association with other syndromes.

Common Causes:

Isolated defect (i.e., not associated with other problems)
Familial pectus excavatum
Marfan's syndrome
Rickets"

Hi there,
Because pectuse excavatum can be present with serious conditions such as Marfan's, I'm presuming you have had a medical investigation. Or are sure there are no underlying causes which need medical treatment?
That said, I remember reading some time ago about a kind of vacuum bell that was being developed for people with pectus excavatum, which was placed over the chest and used to create a pulling action on the ribs, to get them back in the normal position.

Nick
Nick
Posted 2008-03-18 4:13 AM (#105126 - in reply to #105089)
Subject: RE: pectus excavatum + flared ribs

Here you go-doesn't look like there is any reports of success in adults-maybe look for the relevant company in Germany and see what they have to say

"Vacuum Bell Therapy
This is an experimental approach which offers a non-surgical solution to pectus excavatum. It works by pulling the depressed chest forwards and, by holding this position and with treatment over a few years, to re-shape the chest. A suction cap is placed over the depressed area and a vacuum is created between it and the underlying chest wall. A patient-activated hand pump is used to reduce the pressure up to 15% below atmospheric pressure. It is suggested that the device be used for a minimum of 30 minutes, at least twice a day. It may be used for a maximum of several hours each day. Excessive negative pressure or more prolonged application can cause bruising and swelling with damage to the chest wall.

Presently, the daily treatments are recommended for 12 – 15 months. Some successes have been reported in young children. However, at present its place in the management of older people and the durability of any improvement reported is not known. This therapy is not offered in the UK, however, there is a company in Germany which sells the device. You must discuss this option with your GP prior to purchasing the device (Haeker, FM & Mayr, J. 2006)."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)