YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Out of the loop..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2008-03-15 7:49 PM (#104998)
Subject: Out of the loop..

Hey folks! Sorry I've been out of the loop lately. I see some cool threads I'm going to have to check out and read. I thought I'd say hi in the meantime.
I started back working (bookkeeping from home for the restaurant) so I've been a little overwhelmed. In the last month I've been turned from chef to bookkeeper! Yikes!! BUT, I can do this job from home. So that's good.
Little Miss Ruby just had her 2 month b-day! I can't believe it's already been two months! I've been in a time warp, for sure!
Anyhoo, I just wanted to say hi and that I miss you all! I'll catch up on the posts here as I can!

zb- glad to hear things are turning around! AND that you are feelin' that little baby squirm around! I first felt Ruby at 15 weeks too! To me, it felt like someone was tapping on me from the inside. No one believed me either. I think the more in-tune you are with your body, the earlier you feel the movement! And I think you definitely qualify there!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-03-15 8:55 PM (#105031 - in reply to #104998)
Subject: RE: Out of the loop..

sweet!

hey, wanted to let you know about a cool resource. try to find a local homeschooling group. i know of one here, and they're perfect for finding baby sitters! a lot of the gals who want to babysit also want to be "mommy helpers." that is, while you're home and working, you can have her come over to help out with baby care for a few hours a week for a small fee.

because these girls are homeschooled, their schedules are really flexible. it's great. one of my client's has one working for her, and she says it's perfect!
Cyndi
Posted 2008-03-15 9:08 PM (#105032 - in reply to #105031)

Expert Yogi

I wish we were close by...Kris would love to babysit for you guys!

Posted 2008-03-15 9:47 PM (#105033 - in reply to #104998)

yeah, i think it's very cool.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-03-16 8:44 AM (#105037 - in reply to #104998)

Hi there Marylisa. Good to hear from you. Hard to believe Ruby's two months old already! Hard to believe my first baby is graduating from highschool this year! I'm a little freaking out about it. She was gone all week with two of her friends to tour universities, and we had a little taste of how quiet it's going to be. Of course my younger daughter being a leo sucked up all our extra attention. I have to blame her horoscope because it's the same as my mom's, and so somehow it's like blaming my mom for something she had nothing to do with. That's what I call a win/win situation. Well, enjoy your sweet baby until she goes off to university, until then do what I do, sit her on your lap and sing to her about how she'll always be your baby. Then coo to her all her baby names that only her mama knows. So what if she's 18, and three inches taller than me. Shelly
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-03-16 8:44 AM (#105038 - in reply to #104998)

Hey ML: When can I come and see your baby?
tourist
Posted 2008-03-16 10:49 AM (#105039 - in reply to #105037)

Expert Yogi

Nice to see you Marylisa! Time does fly with little folk around.

Shelly - my DD was the same sign as my mom, as well. Scorpio. And my son is a Virgo like me. I learned so much about my mother and my relationship with her by observing my kids. The situation actually made me believe more in astrology than I ever did before.
joscmt
Posted 2008-03-20 8:28 PM (#105308 - in reply to #104998)

zb- thanks for the info- I'll look into it.

Neel- whenever you want to! let's figure out a time- I'd love to see you!

well, we had Ruby's 2 month check-up today along with her shots (we decided to go this route)- she's now 12lbs 7 oz.. and 2 inches longer than at birth.. so growing well. She's a little sore from the shots and not in the greatest of moods- we are just laying together in bed tonight- that way she can nap and eat flat on her back without having to roll onto her leg (she had two shots in each leg )
She just fell asleep a few minutes ago.. so at least she's getting a little rest. I just think it's important for me to stay close tonight and love on her a bit (not like I don't usually! )
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-03-21 8:22 AM (#105324 - in reply to #104998)

Love on, Marylisa, Love on!

Hi Tourist, I just read your post, and it sounds like my experience. Except here to add to the craziness, I'm a scorpio, and I married a scorpio. I know you love scorpios and all our crazy traits. Those Leos take the cake though. When she was born, I was walking up and down the hallway at the hospital, holding her so her head was resting on my shoulder. She lifted her head, and smiled at her father and I. I'm not kidding, it was the most amazing thing. And no, she didn't have gas!
tourist
Posted 2008-03-21 11:32 AM (#105329 - in reply to #105324)

Expert Yogi

BQ - that is amazing! I have a Leo brother. You know, they like the good things in life. He just retired, very comfortably, at age 50.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-03-22 8:15 AM (#105361 - in reply to #104998)

Yes, she wants the good things, but she also works really hard, I was noticing last week that she's usually the last one to bed and the first one up in the morning. Of course if she didn't have to get everything perfect before she left the house she could sleep a bit longer. Just like my mother!

Why, oh why am I always hijacking the threads?

Let's get back to Ruby, We can see she's beautiful, we know she's growing well, and well taken care of, but what's her person like? Is she staying awake longer now? It's so funny when they're newborn, and sleep like logs when they want, and wake up at crazy times. And how about you, Mama Marylisa, how are you feeling? How's the bookkeeping going? Wow, has your life changed, do you miss chef life? Hope you are well, take care, Shelly
tourist
Posted 2008-03-22 11:16 AM (#105365 - in reply to #105361)

Expert Yogi

Shelly - yep, my brother was the same. He deserves his retirement.

I am picturing Ruby in her cute Valentine dress, which she has probably already almost grown out of by now! And since I have been having conversations about nursing babies recently, wondering how that is going. There was a big discussion on the sewing board about some big nursing cover-up (looks like a huge apron) and I wondered if Marylisa has got the technique going so she can nurse with people around yet. I also feel very sorry for you, ML, for doing the office work for the restaurant. I have a deep and abiding dislike of accounting etc. I am hoping you are not finding it as difficult as I think I would!
joscmt
Posted 2008-03-23 11:45 AM (#105388 - in reply to #104998)

shelly- Ruby's got a great personality! She's really easy-going like her Dad- she smiles all the time and she likes to play little games. Right now, her favorite is the tongue game. We stick our tongue out..and then she smiles and sticks out her tongue. Cute now, maybe not when she's 4!

As for me, I'm doing really well.. having some body image issues.. but I then tell myself that she's only 2 months old. I'm eating right and trying to exercise (although, I could be better about this). I try to sneak in some yoga where I can. My hips have gone to pot again. I was stoked during pregnancy with all the relaxin coursing through my veins. My hips didn't hurt at all.. now they are 10x worse than ever. I'm trying to slowly stretch them again, but even sitting on the floor cross-legged is a challenge right now.
Bookkeeping is going alright. I'm still playing catch-up, so I haven't really gotten into the daily grind of it yet. My Mom's been helping me a lot. She's been my Dad's bookkeeper for 40yrs.

Glenda- breastfeeding is going well now. We've gotten over all the speed bumps. I still don't have a huge supply. I can't really satisfy her at night all the time. So I do still supplement if it seems to be the case. But I still nurse her before and after the bottle for her comfort and to stimulate milk production. BUT, I'm happy to report that it doesn't hurt anymore and I'm not barreling through tubes of lanolin!!

Right now, I'm obsessed with babylegs- they are little legwarmers for babies. Everyone kept asking me when I was going to put Ruby in dresses.. well, it's been winter around here... I didn't want to freeze her little legs off! In comes the babylegs.....
Here are a couple of pics I took one morning.. she didn't get into pjs because she fell asleep on me and I took advantage! Here's the happy little face I get to wake up to!

(maniac2- net.JPG)

(maniac4-2mos- net.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments maniac2- net.JPG (13KB - 42 downloads)
Attachments maniac4-2mos- net.JPG (13KB - 43 downloads)
tourist
Posted 2008-03-23 5:43 PM (#105389 - in reply to #105388)

Expert Yogi

OMG - how cute! I want one, too!

For the hips, try putting your yoga belt on (you have one, right?) right around the hips so that it pulls the tops of your upper leg bones into the hip joint - really snugly. I have seen several post partum moms as well as menopausal women using that. They just keep it on all through a class. You might want to do lots of ardha chandrasana to strengthen the action of the femur moving and "seating" into the hip socket. Or just standing at a wall or chair for balance and moving your leg out to the side 3 or 4 times each. That's one you can do almost on the run and not have to get out the mat for. I think I need to take my own good advice on this one!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-03-24 8:22 AM (#105399 - in reply to #104998)

Aw, she looks so adorable and fun. What a happy face your baby has, she sure is enjoying herself. I bet she has that great baby smell too. I can practically smell while I sit here in baby dreamland.

So if your like me, by the time I had my body all straightened out, it was time for another one.
And I'm glad to hear your mom is helping with the bookkeeping. She must be thrilled with her granddaughter.

After living through the 80's I never thought I'd be so happy to see leg warmers again! Too cute!
Shelly

Posted 2008-03-24 12:12 PM (#105416 - in reply to #104998)

she's so cute! i love baby legs too. i think they're adorable!

for the hips thing, i think there can be a language change. a lot of peopel talk about getting their body back and what not, and i was thinking about this.

i do know that one can get "back to normal" shape, etc, but there are real changes that are kinda permanent--and one is the change in Q-angle at the hip.

now, here's the thing i was thinking about it. one of my students said something similar, about her hips have "never been the same" and the negative undertone of this statement.

but then i was thinking about it a bit, and i realized that--women, before being pregnant, have gone through this before and it was NOT negative for them. that was puberty. when our hips changed then, we were psyched about it and we learned and adjusted.

but then, when we go through another perfectly normal and healthy change--something that is just about as inherent as puberty, though even more awesome because it's largely chosen--why do we respond with negativity?

there's no need. this is just change. and, IMO, it's positive change. you work with it, you adjust, you grow.

my hips are already changing, i can feel it and it's amazing. i'm enjoying the process immensely. i am finding that there are a number of changes happening--i like them a lot--and i find them exciting.

and, i look forward to meeting the baby. i mean, we're hanging out now, but, wow, when s/he is out, that will be cool.
tourist
Posted 2008-03-24 7:16 PM (#105444 - in reply to #105416)

Expert Yogi

Yeah - there really is no such thing as back to normal, and that's ok. And the changes required to begin to feel like you are actually back in your own skin do seem to take quite a bit of time - up to a year really. The sloppy, floppy stuff will start feeling better pretty soon. And if your hips are physically uncomfortable, you'll feel much better once you get the chance to work on them a bit.
tourist
Posted 2008-03-24 7:17 PM (#105445 - in reply to #104998)

Expert Yogi

Oh, this silly thread is misbehaving!

Posted 2008-03-25 10:36 AM (#105464 - in reply to #104998)

i don' tknow what you mean about using the strap. do you have a picture?

after birth, i plan on doing some belly/hip binding. there are muliple ways of doing it, from using fabric in certain ways to using things like "spanx" (support undergarments). corsetry is another method, of course.

i haven't decided which method i want to use, but many midwives who do the binding use a good fabric (t-shirt fabric) and safety pins. they start low, at the top of the femur/base of the hip (from the outside, you know the spot?), and wrap up to the breasts as tightly as possible, and then pin the fabric in place. some use a lycra (bathingsuit fabric). many put a rolled up wash cloth just above the pubic bone (with the fabric wrapped over it to hold it in place) to help hold the uterus in place.

i was thinking about this method, but using something like the "slim n fit" which is a compression garment that goes from mid-thigh to just under the bust line. i could put the wash cloth in under the garment.

the purpose of this is to bring the belly and hips back into alignment--though some midwives/binders only focus on the belly, and not the hips.

interesting stuff, though.
tourist
Posted 2008-03-25 7:07 PM (#105472 - in reply to #105464)

Expert Yogi

Just putting the belt on right around the femur heads - same theory as the binding, I'm sure but more "quick and dirty" perhaps I had forgotten that there were some who went in for the belly binding. I think a basic compression garment would feel really good as it would help get rid of that floppy sloppy feeling which is a little disconcerting. I'm sure it went out of style when women did it for too long and didn't let their own muscles take over when they needed to - not that you will do that. I can't imagine you enjoying feeling bound up for very long!

Posted 2008-03-25 10:13 PM (#105475 - in reply to #104998)

the main thing is to provide support to the skin while the muscle is retaking shape, and also to help move out any fluids and such (swelling).
joscmt
Posted 2008-03-27 11:38 PM (#105549 - in reply to #104998)

It's not so much that I mind the way my body is more womanly now.. it's just that I've had bad hips for as long as I can remember. Yoga helped them tremendously..and now, I just feel like I lost all of that and I'm back to square one again.
My right hip is particularly bad... although, I went to my chiropractor the other day and he adjusted my hips and my SI joint and it felt AWESOME!! I was able to walk without pain for the first time in months. I just found my yoga strap so I was going to try that as well.
I was going to try the compression thing- but they recommend it right away after birth.. I was so pumped up with fluids and SOOO swollen, I couldn't even imagine. It took a good week or two for the swelling to go down. I looked like a water balloon!
My left shoulder has started slipping again too (I injured it years ago- and it took over a year to heal it.).. but at least I can troubleshoot that one again.
What I need to do is to get back into my yoga practice. I can't afford my studio anymore (both in money and time- driving into DC)... and because I've been out of it for awhile, I have to scale back quite a bit. My ego has been getting in the way lately- I want to stretch further, do more, etc and I just can't right now. I need to take it back to basics, but my ego wants to be all grumpy about it... I'll get there though. I just need to keep talking to you all about it!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-03-28 9:00 AM (#105554 - in reply to #104998)

You need some tender new Mama yoga. That's the ticket. I'm glad your chiropractor was able to help you out. Does he know about your shoulder, or is it something he could help you with?
joscmt
Posted 2008-03-28 1:11 PM (#105567 - in reply to #104998)

Oh.. he adjust my shoulder too! He's awesome!
Yeah, I know I need some gentle yoga right now.. I just need to get off my rear and unroll my mat. I've been doing cardio for the last few days- which is good for the bod... but yoga is also good for my soul.

Posted 2008-03-28 6:24 PM (#105579 - in reply to #104998)

i'm glad the adjusting went well.

i'm still trying to wrangle up some massage here. my hips are changing, and i can see how women end up with some crazy lordosis from this change. and here only 18.5 weeks. the yoga really works, but i do have some "bunching" of the connective tissue at the top of the sacrum.

i would do some hip supporting work--such as using the strap as tourist mentioned--as you do your practice, and then be patient. your body has been through many unique changes, and your lifestyle has changed dramatically. do not judge yourself (your body) too harshly.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)