YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Out of the loop..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2008-03-29 9:31 AM (#105595 - in reply to #104998)
Subject: RE: Out of the loop..

ZB- when do we get to see some belly pics??
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-03-29 2:46 PM (#105603 - in reply to #104998)

seriously, at 18.5 weeks, my belly just started showing (such that people think i'm pregnant rather than i've "gained a few lbs."

ironic story: i work in many gyms, and the new trainers are intimidated by me (what's new. they take my classes and see how much i know about alignment, anatomy, etc, and they freak! because a lot of their clients go "oh, no need fo rweight training? great!" and most of m students assert that, so they FREAK! LOL you know, cuz that's their bread-and-butter!).

so, i come in at about, i dunno, week 12 or so when you can see a bit of pooch. and this one trainer says, loudly "see, yoga doesn't really work for abs--she's the yoga teacher and look at her!" and i said 'oh, i'm 12 weeks pregnant!" and she goes (sheepish), "oh, well, congrats. shouldn't you be showing more at 12 weeks?" and i said "well, with really strong abs and this being my first pregnancy, the average that folks such as myself begin to show is around 16-18 weeks.

now my clients, who are used to me and know my before-and-after, they could see the 'pop' at about 14 weeks (of course, i noticed at 12, though i saw and felt changes before), and now everyone is going "oh, you're pregnant" and strangers keep trying to touch me, and i just say "oh, thanks for noticing, but i do not want to be touched!" (they're polite after that, most of them don't realize that they're stsrangers, walking up to me, with their hands forward to touch! LOL). most people, though, have asked to touch and i'm iffy as to who gets permission.

anyway, so, now i'm showing more, and the trainers keep going "how do you keep doing these yoga poses that use so much abs? and why? shouldn't you be doing X?" and i explain about the diferences between untrained abs and the specific training for prenatal that is commonly utilized, and how yoga works that already, how i'm strong there, and how it's healthy for me and baby.

seriously, they've stopped brinnging their clients to class! lol, but one post-partum woman with DR is now devoted to her yoga practice.

anyway, i'll probably start taking pictures soon. my jeans now fit (they were baggy in the belly/waist before). that is, i can button them and they just fit around the belly, so i just ordered a b-belt (babooshbaby.com), which will extend my jeans until the end without having to buy more stuff, and i bought some longer shirts (teen section at target) because the maternity clothes were WAY too big, but these have stretch and fit nicely, and so here i am.

i'm excited about the changes. it's interesting, this whole process. my hips feel completely different. the pelvic floor is way bizarre, and my cervix/vagina/uterus have weird 'stretchy/strength' (i call them yoga poses) feelings throughout the day.

oh, and the baby is moving and ryan can feel it now too. it was fluttering/tickling at first, and now it's obvious pushes, and last night, it was like MAJOR pushes and he could feel them and got so excited about it.

and, i'm also ordering my compression garment today too. i might as well get it now. and i'm probably going to get a cloth for belly support and jus tmake one to suit me (all of the commerical stuff is just 'not right')

anyway, i'm rambling. but it's exciting. and we'll probably take pictures soon enough.
joscmt
Posted 2008-03-30 12:24 AM (#105616 - in reply to #104998)

Ahhh... zb!! So exciting! I'm so happy for you and Ryan! Now the fun really starts! At least it did for me. I loved feeling the baby everyday. And people actually knowing I was pregnant vs just gaining weight. I was lucky in that I didn't have many people ask to touch my belly. Maybe it's my menacing face!
I didn't actually fit into maternity shirts until I was about 30/32 weeks along- they were way too big/long before that.
Anyhoo... I could really ramble... but I'm just so excited for you. My best friend is also pregnant.. so I'm doubly excited!

Do you have any gut feelings about gender? I felt like I had no intuition at all about it.. I guessed boy.. and I was wrong (of course)...

Posted 2008-03-30 8:58 AM (#105618 - in reply to #104998)

well, i keep leaning towards calling the baby "she" in conversation--which i do unconsciously. so i don't know if that's an indication or not. i try to alternate between both, when i'm not just babbling. so, we're not attached either way. and most of my rather intuitive friends use "she" as well.

i do know that "she" likes to be and move toward the right of my belly, with a bit at the left. most pushes are on the right.

bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-03-30 9:53 AM (#105623 - in reply to #104998)

Yay, yes lets see a picture of your baby belly, we can call it ZOEBIRD's babybelly exposed!
tourist
Posted 2008-03-30 11:18 AM (#105629 - in reply to #105603)

Expert Yogi

I don't know when it became socially acceptable to touch a pregnant woman's belly. It was not happening in Canada in the early 80's - thank goodness! I wonder if it because people are having fewer babies and most folks don't have a close relative or neighbour who is pregnant and they don't get the opportunity to do it regularly. I can see that it is a natural urge, but I wouldn't like it.

The little jeans thing made me laugh. I'm sure it will work for some, but it wouldn't have worked for me, that's for sure! It helps that jeans ride lower now, so they are not going right over the belly. With DS (#1 baby) I actually had to buy/make two sets of maternity clothes. Everyone thought I was having twins! For DD, I used a system that involved opening up the side seams, adding a flap of fabric and some ties to each side of the seam. The flap covered the ever-widening bare spot and I could tie it at whatever distance was necessary. It could be used even on better clothes as the seams could be sewed up again later, though frankly, my thighs got so big they didn't fit in any of my regular clothes anyway. I seem to recall spending a great deal of time wearing Mr. Tourist's old style ugly, baggy grey sweat pants.
joscmt
Posted 2008-03-30 12:21 PM (#105631 - in reply to #104998)

I wanted to share this cool video with you all too. Someone posted it on another board I belong to.. it's pretty amazing.

http://www.texas-midwife.com/Educational/Breastfeeding-Crawl.html

Posted 2008-03-30 7:36 PM (#105649 - in reply to #104998)

lol!

yeah, you might look at the picture and go "what baby belly" though, because when we went to look at car seats today, the person helping us insisted that i was not in the second trimester.

my mom (who was shopping with me) said that she didn't really "show" until 7 months even! wow, that's a long wait. all of my friends have lovely, obvious bellies. and i'm so proud of my little melon.

but wah! no one else notices.

it's probably because i'm wearing my size 4 'skinny-cut' jeans and they fit, reather than being baggy.

so, it may not be so "exposed" as one would think. i suppose you could say i'm making an excited mountain out of a molehill. LOL
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-03-31 8:26 AM (#105669 - in reply to #104998)

I know there's something here I can't see, I'm hoping to bump it up. (Bumping up the baby bump)

Yes, it was worth bumping up. I'd say my maternity wardrobe was more along the lines of Tourists. I wore the tent dresses, and I tried my best to fill them. Zoebird, your size 4 skinny cut jeans for maternity wear are cracking me up! That's more my sister's maternity wear. She hardly gained any weight.

Edited by bstqltmkr 2008-03-31 8:32 AM
tourist
Posted 2008-03-31 10:36 AM (#105676 - in reply to #105631)

Expert Yogi

Marylisa - thanks for the link to the video. Beautiful! A great way to start my Monday morning:-)

Posted 2008-03-31 11:11 AM (#105678 - in reply to #104998)

i wish i could watch the video. darn dial-up! those things take for ever! ah well. . .

tourist
Posted 2008-03-31 10:00 PM (#105710 - in reply to #105678)

Expert Yogi

Check it out at a friend's, zb. Totally worth it!

Posted 2008-04-01 2:40 PM (#105730 - in reply to #104998)

that so assumes that i have friends.

most are male; one is out of town; the other wouldn't let me watch a baby anything on his computer no matter what. ever.
tourist
Posted 2008-04-01 7:01 PM (#105734 - in reply to #105730)

Expert Yogi

Posted 2008-04-02 1:18 PM (#105764 - in reply to #104998)

yeah, boys are weird.

i think people want to touch the belly because most people are not living near friends/relatives who are pregnant, and that overall, pregnancy is a rather special "event" and so they want to be a part.

i think people have a natural desire/tendency to spoil and protect pregnant women as well. i think that's another angle on it--in a way, she's symbolic of the survival of the whole community, the extension of the whole community--and so everyone wants to do their part, even if she is a stranger.

i haven't had too much. usually when i'm in yoga clothes--though some people keep insisting that i just need more/different ab work.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)