YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

time issues
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

JackieCat
Posted 2008-03-16 11:02 PM (#105062 - in reply to #105054)
Subject: RE: time issues

Extreme Veteran

OrangeMat - 2008-03-16 9:22 PM

I played the role of gym rat for well over 20 years. Yoga wasn't "another sort" of workout for me either, because I had all that already, and quite frankly, found it more of a deterrent to finding balance in my life. So of course why would I want to teach that sort of fitness-y yoga myself

What do you consider "fitness-y yoga" and how does that differ from how you teach (I'm not familiar w/anusara yoga- I've heard of it but never tried a class)?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-03-16 11:32 PM (#105064 - in reply to #105058)

ZB-
i just want all of m students to become "yoga addicts."

jimg-
My experience is that there are two kinds of "yoga addicts." The ones that are "hooked" after the first class and the ones that need to come for a month or two before it happens. It's amazing to see how it just "clicks" with some people at the first class. It is also amazing to see how much faster the "addicts" progress than the average. It would be a very interesting study to find out why some students get hooked and others don't. I've had men and women addicts of all ages, creeds, levels of fitness, socio-economic backgrounds and educational levels so I have no idea about what they have in common.

Yoga really does work the same as an addictive drug (anatomically and biochemically), except without side effects. We are all hard wired to seek the the repetition of joy.

Edited by jimg 2008-03-16 11:52 PM

Posted 2008-03-16 11:49 PM (#105065 - in reply to #105055)

zoebird - 2008-03-16
i find that the majority of my students are there for yoga practice in it's many facets and layers, and most of them do not utilize the gym at all, once they become 'addicted' to the yoga.

I think that I probably did not make myself very clear. My point was that my experience has been that many "gym" people INITIALLY come for "another" workout (or that they heard that this famous actress or that famous athlete does yoga). I totally agree that they KEEP COMING because yoga is so multi-faceted and multi-layered. Yoga asana produces a joy that no other form of exercise that I have experienced does. (Some students call this joy: improved balance, improved flexibility, lower stress levels, improved strength, a remedy for back pain or asthma, or even a higher level of connection within themself and the cosmos.) Once experienced, one wants more.

Edited by jimg 2008-03-17 12:07 AM

Posted 2008-03-17 12:52 AM (#105066 - in reply to #104957)

There may also be some regional differences we're not accounting for.
Had I polled my class in Florida back in 2001 it is more than possible they would fit the "wandered into yoga' paradigm. Here in Seattle it seems the demographic is slightly different.

Posted 2008-03-17 1:27 AM (#105067 - in reply to #105066)

purnayoga,
There may also be differences between cities, towns and rural areas. I am going from what my students have told me. Not all of them have said anything, so that isn't even a representative sampling of "my" group, which, of course, isn't a static group but more like a living organism. The only "real" conclusion that I can draw is that people who start coming to yoga (for whatever reason) and continue, experience growth in a variety of areas, far beyond what one would expect from an "exercise" class..
Namaste,
jimg

Posted 2008-03-17 1:27 AM (#105068 - in reply to #105066)

purnayoga,
There may also be differences between cities, towns and rural areas. I am going from what my students have told me. Not all of them have said anything, so that isn't even a representative sampling of "my" group, which, of course, isn't a static group but more like a living organism. The only "real" conclusion that I can draw is that people who start coming to yoga (for whatever reason) and continue, experience growth in a variety of areas, far beyond what one would expect from an "exercise" class..
Namaste,
jimg
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-03-17 8:10 AM (#105074 - in reply to #105062)

JackieCat - 2008-03-16 11:02 PM What do you consider "fitness-y yoga" and how does that differ from how you teach (I'm not familiar w/anusara yoga- I've heard of it but never tried a class)?

The short answer would be to say that Anusara follows a tantric philosophy, and hopefully would be a sufficient answer. But I tend to think it isn't....

How about this: the three A's that make the foundation of Anusara yoga are Attitude, Alignment and Action. They are explained as follows in the Anusara Yoga Teacher Training manual:

"The three A's distinguish yoga from mere exercise or stretching. The main intention of stretching is to increase flexibility and mobility. Stretching often aims at creating maximum sensation, usually in a localized area of the body, whereas yoga, performed with the three A's, has a profound spiritual intention, a high degree of mindfulness, precise alignment, and balanced energetic action. Also, yoga focuses on extending the light of awareness evenly throughout the body."

The three A's themselves are defined as following:

"Attitude - The power of the heart as the force behind every action or expression in an asana; the aspiration to reawaken to our divine nature, and the celebration of life."

"Alignment - The mindful awareness of how various parts of ourselves are integrated and interconnected."

"Action - The natural flow of energy in the body, which provides both stability and joyful freedom."

The manual then goes further to explain quite concisely how all three of these elements work together: "The yogi uses Action to express his Attitude through the Alignment of the body. This is analogous to playing music [jimg, you'll like this] -- a musician (yogi) makes music (performs an asana) by expressing his heart (Attitude) through the playing (Action) of a properly tuned instrument (Alignment of the body)."

So have I answered your question? I'm not sure.... do other styles of yoga talk about literally making the body feel happy? I find I run out of words to help describe it, which is why the style has a reputation for all that flowery language. It's really physical (the alignments quite precise) and equally quite spiritual, and that's the tantric slant to it as I understand it. My experience with YogaFit and other gym yoga classes I've attended were all missing that "innate happiness of the body" element. Hopefully that helps.

Posted 2008-03-17 8:59 AM (#105076 - in reply to #104957)

in my experience, other styles of yoga speak to this but use different language.

using the definition of those three A's, i suppose i could say that "i teach anusara yoga."

the process of my teaching--regardless of setting--is about integrating the whole person into the practice at every level of being: body, energy body (energy, intellect, emotional body, etc), and spirit.

in each class, i take the group through a "narrative arc" at all three levels--unfolding the body, observing the movement of energy, and engaging the spirit.

i can do this in 15 minutes, 35 minutes, 45 minutes, 1 hr, 1.25 hrs, 1.5 hrs. 2.5 hours, 3.25 hrs. you'll notice that the increments are rather specific. i find that a 42 minute class is difficult to figure, or that a 2 hr class is difficult to figure. but, if i have 3 hrs to fill, then i'll "teach" for 2.5 hrs (philosophy, asana, pranayama, meditation, etc), and then extend things for the last half hour (longer savasana, more pranayama, more meditation, more discussion of philosophy--with the asana part being probably about 2-2.25 hours of that process).

it might also be noted that most yoga asana practices (hatha yoga) are taught from a tantric perspective. they sort of fall out of that familial process. i would say that there are hatha yoga practices that are not trantric (integrative) and instead focus on the raja process (asana is there to help prep for meditation, eventually one should/wants to overcome the body).

i'm cool with both, but i definitely teach from a tantra perspective--whether i'm at a gym, a park, a person's home, in the kitchen, whatever.

Posted 2008-03-17 9:28 AM (#105078 - in reply to #104957)

I also wonder if polling a class gives true answers compared to something private. Some people may tend to answer as they think is expected, or as other people have answered, or not answer if their answer doesn't go with the flow, or simply be someone who thinks it's not everyones business.

Posted 2008-03-17 12:07 PM (#105088 - in reply to #104957)

That may be, but I prefer to give adults the benefit of the doubt until otherwise indicated.
And frankly it was their feedback that structured the class.
Had they said "I'm here to open my hamstrings" then I would have taught in such a way as to meet their stated needs.

If they do not state their needs or state the needs of the group or their neighbor or their perception of same then that is on them and there's some work in the realm of satya for us to address.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-03-17 12:08 PM

Posted 2008-03-17 2:32 PM (#105095 - in reply to #104957)

i also give people the benefit of the doubt--that the say what the mean and mean what they say.
JackieCat
Posted 2008-03-17 3:37 PM (#105103 - in reply to #105074)

Extreme Veteran

OrangeMat - 2008-03-17 8:10 AM

. . . classes I've attended were all missing that "innate happiness of the body" element. Hopefully that helps.

I don't know that other styles of yoga literally talk about the body feeling happy, but if the yoga that you are doing makes your body feel happy, why is it necessary to talk about it, especially in flowery language? That's kind of the issue that I have with yoga classes that are deemed more "spiritual" . . . I get impatient with a lot of philosophy and I really don't like the flowery language (my own issue, I know) . . . I used to attend a class with an awesome instructor, who once he got going taught a great vinyasa class, but he would spend about 20 minutes at the beginning talking about philosophy and I was just too impatient- I just wanted to move.

So how does the yoga itself (not the words used to describe it) in the Anusara style make the body more innately happy than other yoga? There is an Anusara studio about 10 minutes from my house- I should just go take a class there.

OrangeMat
Posted 2008-03-17 4:29 PM (#105109 - in reply to #105103)

JackieCat - 2008-03-17 3:37 PM So how does the yoga itself (not the words used to describe it) in the Anusara style make the body more innately happy than other yoga?

Oh, now I don't think I meant to say that Anusara style would make the body MORE innately happy, just that that particular aspect of the practice is emphasized as such. Are there other styles that address this aspect? I don't know; I just know that it "does it" for me, more so than anything else that I've experienced. If Yoga is to be defined as "the science of happiness", then why not just approach it clearly with that end in mind?

One of the statements that resonates so well with me from the Anusara style talks about its strict attention to alignment: within the alignment, we find freedom in the pose. Is this too flowery? I don't think so, but others might. For me, this talks about that happiness thing in the body. For me, this puts emphasis on not only having the proper actions and alignments in any pose, but also the proper attitude. From my first exposure to this style, I was told to go for that feeling as the intention of my poses. Now, I can't imagine practicing (or teaching others to practice) in any other way.

Posted 2008-03-17 5:04 PM (#105112 - in reply to #105103)

JackieCat - 2008-03-17 12:37 PM

OrangeMat - 2008-03-17 8:10 AM

. . . classes I've attended were all missing that "innate happiness of the body" element. Hopefully that helps.

I don't know that other styles of yoga literally talk about the body feeling happy, but if the yoga that you are doing makes your body feel happy, why is it necessary to talk about it, especially in flowery language? That's kind of the issue that I have with yoga classes that are deemed more "spiritual" . . . I get impatient with a lot of philosophy and I really don't like the flowery language (my own issue, I know) . . . I used to attend a class with an awesome instructor, who once he got going taught a great vinyasa class, but he would spend about 20 minutes at the beginning talking about philosophy and I was just too impatient- I just wanted to move.

If you are getting "happiness of the body", there is no need to talk about it. If you are not getting it, all the words in the world, no matter how flowery or poetic, will matter. You find "happiness of the body" by listening to your body, not by listening to someone else's words. (Words are symbols for reality, not reality). You cannot describe the color blue to a blind person in any meaningful way. As far as I'm concerned, there cannot be physical as opposed to spiritual yoga or anything else. Every act has a physical quality, a spiritual (or energetic) quality and a mental quality that percieves that an act has taken place. Going to the bathroom is just as "spiritual" as practicing yoga.

Posted 2008-03-17 5:24 PM (#105113 - in reply to #105109)

OrangeMat - 2008-03-17 1:29 PM

JackieCat - 2008-03-17 3:37 PM So how does the yoga itself (not the words used to describe it) in the Anusara style make the body more innately happy than other yoga?

Oh, now I don't think I meant to say that Anusara style would make the body MORE innately happy, just that that particular aspect of the practice is emphasized as such. Are there other styles that address this aspect? I don't know; I just know that it "does it" for me, more so than anything else that I've experienced. If Yoga is to be defined as "the science of happiness", then why not just approach it clearly with that end in mind?

One of the statements that resonates so well with me from the Anusara style talks about its strict attention to alignment: within the alignment, we find freedom in the pose. Is this too flowery? I don't think so, but others might. For me, this talks about that happiness thing in the body. For me, this puts emphasis on not only having the proper actions and alignments in any pose, but also the proper attitude. From my first exposure to this style, I was told to go for that feeling as the intention of my poses. Now, I can't imagine practicing (or teaching others to practice) in any other way.

This all sounds a lot like trying to be a certain way (proper actions, alignment and attitude) that is externally dictated (like putting on a costume and playing a role), rather than trying to get in touch with what actually is, working from the inside out. I really DON'T like people telling me what or how I should be feeling or thinking. What I am actually feeling or thinking is reality. What I "should be" feeling and thinking is purely fantasy. Am I getting it all wrong?

Posted 2008-03-18 10:15 AM (#105138 - in reply to #104957)

within the alignment, we find freedom in the pose

typically, i describe this situation as "when you're in the right alignment, you feel the balance between lightness and right effort."

i do also talk about how alignment leads to the opening and healing of the body, so that if we are in the right alignment (modification, etc), then the body will naturally open over time, whereas if we perpetuate in the wrong alignments, we are going to create or perpetuate certain injuries and imbalances.

i don't really define yoga as the "science of happiness" but rather as the integration or union of self (body/energy body/spirit) with the divine totality. the yoga practices or disciplines help us achieve this aspect.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)