YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alignment at what price?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

karmann
Posted 2008-03-09 10:00 PM (#104647)
Subject: Alignment at what price?

Can we talk about this?

In Iyengar, I understand that correct alignment is very important. Sometimes we use props to help get the feel of the correct pose. I love using props; in some poses for me they are necessary (for example, in revolved trikonasana) and in others helpful.

And, this isn't just about props and alignment- it's also about making adjustments in order to get good alignment. But again, how much to adjust?

A few examples, and tell me what you think, please:

In doing tree pose, I can adjust to just put my foot, say, on my shin rather than all the way up near the groin. My hips are in good alignment here- nothing is piking out to the side but I'm not getting that balanced feeling of pressing my left leg into my right foot and vice-versa. I suppose I could try and press my shin into my foot, but something feels lost here.

In warrior one, to begin the pose, I only step my feet, say, two and a half feet apart. Now as I turn, it is much easier to keep my back heel down. Once again, I can do it this way with my hips nice and square and granted with such a short stance when I bend the front leg I will not get my thigh parallel to the floor- but my body's alignment is all good.

In doing trikonasana I could get a really high block, say, 16 inches off the ground, for my lower hand. Now when I come down, because I haven't gone real far, my alignment is good. I'm able to easily turn my torso into the correct position.

These examples may all be a bit of an exaggeration, but I wanted to make my point- that yes, with adjustments and props, I can align myself better, but at some point I'm giving stuff up, too- the challenge, the feeling of being able to make those microadjustments while in a pose, the feel of having "someplace to go."

During my practice at home, I prefer to keep the props and adjustments to a minimum; I mean, if I can do trikonasana in a manner not horribly offensive to the alignment gods while putting my hand on the floor (or a low block) I tend to prefer to do that rather than use a high one and feel no stretch, no place to go.

How do you all feel about it?

Edited by karmann 2008-03-09 10:02 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hungry Yogi
Posted 2008-03-09 10:35 PM (#104648 - in reply to #104647)
Subject: RE: Alignment at what price?

My Iyengar teacher says that sometimes you need the props but sometimes you need to let go of them so you have, as you said, "somewhere to go." I think the props give your body that memory of the right alignment, but then you have to keep playing along the edge to find where you can grow into the pose. Your alignment shouldn't be wrong, but the pose shouldn't be EASY, either. Props are important when they keep you from injuring yourself, but a crutch when they keep you from progressing. So it's all a matter of increasing your awareness and sensitivity to when you need them and when you are ready to move beyond them.

fechter03
Posted 2008-03-09 11:20 PM (#104649 - in reply to #104647)

Extreme Veteran

there's a compromise in all the poses. you'll never be perfect with or without the props. sometimes you have to make choices. i sometimes do this when i want to shift the focus in a particular pose when i'm trying to get a particular effect.

for example in virabydrasana I, the keys are: square hips, front thigh parallel to ground, back leg straight, back foot flat on the ground, pelvis tucked under. unless you're super open you won't really be able to achieve all of this in any one warrior I so you have to compromise. for me, it depends on what my focus is on a particular day. on one day, i might desire to feel my hips square in the pose so i choose to lift the back heel off the ground. another day i might decide to focus on the grounding of the feet so to make this happen, obviously the hips won't be as square, if square at all. at some point in time the intention is to loose the props anyway. everyone's anatomy is different.

Posted 2008-03-10 1:00 AM (#104651 - in reply to #104647)

why limit yourself to one option?
thats why you have a home practice. so you can do trikonasana as meticulously as possible, and then go do it again with some sacrifices to alignment. you know, since it's your practice.
sometimes you have to do an imperfect pose to find the perfect one.

how do you perform asanas in class?
tourist
Posted 2008-03-10 10:17 AM (#104661 - in reply to #104651)

Expert Yogi

Yep - as the others have eloquently said, you need to do both ways and a few other ways as well. Yes, use the props. Yes, practice without props. Yes, sometimes start your trikonasana with a tall block (Mr. Tourist uses a chair and that is a bit low for him on his tighter side) and then take your hand off the block and see what happens. This is one of the many beautiful aspects of the Iyengar system. This is how BKS himself learned and encourages us to learn.

BUT - there are a few caveats. Don't mess with knees and necks. So no matter what you are playing with in warrior poses, keep the knee alignment highest in your mind. Don't decide to experiment with doing halasana with your head turned to the side. It is like wearing safety goggles and gloves for science class experiments.

Posted 2008-03-10 1:11 PM (#104674 - in reply to #104648)

uhm, i might wager that this is not an iyengar perspective per se, but rather my perspective.

all of the descriptions that you gave, they give me a sense of getting the overall structure and feel of a pose, while finding correct alignment/microalignment of each part, and gives a great sense of progress to the posture (that is, places to go as the body strengthens and stretches it's way into deeper expressions of the posture).

so that is exactly how i teach. i'll put people in tree pose focusing first on hip alignment, then back/belly, and then moving the foot up the leg as the person gains the balance/strength and flexibility to do so. it's a process.

and, i teach "process oriented" so that people don't get attached to a pose looking a 'certain way' but rather being aligned a certain way and slowly unfolding.

i dunno. i'm all positive about this. maybe not what you're looking for?

Posted 2008-03-10 4:00 PM (#104687 - in reply to #104647)

Is feeling in the muscles, bones and flesh the same as "feeling" Prana?
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-03-10 5:00 PM (#104691 - in reply to #104647)

Price for Alignment is LESS than Price for MisAlignment.

OM ShantiH

Posted 2008-03-10 6:41 PM (#104699 - in reply to #104647)

for me, i only "feel" the prana of the pose when i'm aligned properly. that's why i modify and prop and all that.

it feels right muscularly (etc), and it feels energetically right--then i know i'm in the right place (modification or otherwise).

and the prana feeling feels like singing.

---

neel--so true!

Posted 2008-03-10 8:46 PM (#104709 - in reply to #104661)

karmann - 2008-03-10 6:44 PM

tourist - 2008-03-10 10:17 AM
Don't decide to experiment with doing halasana with your head turned to the side.

Oh, killjoy!

i have a friend who was showing me halasana with his head to the side.
scary scary scary...

Posted 2008-03-10 9:22 PM (#104712 - in reply to #104647)

pretty much, i "always" do. i always seek to get the right alignment, that "perfect" alignment that may require big modifications such as shorter stances or what not.

i do it all the time, tons and tons. that's my way.

Posted 2008-03-11 9:00 PM (#104780 - in reply to #104647)

Karmann,

Is this an issue of putting form before function?

I too use very few props - but also do not practice iyengar yoga.

I practice in a breath centered tradition. So I guess in away we do practice with a focus on alignment - alignment of the breath with the body and breath with the movement.

I think to much focus on form is one of the things that keeps people thinking yoga=asana.

But maybe this is not what you meant?

Vic

Nick
Posted 2008-03-14 5:16 AM (#104896 - in reply to #104647)

Hi Karmann,
You've raised some good points. Bearing in mind that I teach neither Iyengar yoga or Astanga yoga, but I would say a hybrid of the two, with another contribution, that of human anatomy, I'll give my input.

With tree pose, in Iyengar yoga, I was taught to bring the foot as high up the other leg as possible. In order to do this, most people will take hold of their ankle, by hip abduction, external rotation, and flexion, with flexion of the knee, as well. The ankle is also 'dorsiflexed' (i.e. the back of the foot is drawn towards the front of the shin). The trouble is, the objective then is to bring the ankle as close to the waiting hand as possible, so that the pose then becomes an action of the arm, rather than an action of the leg, which then becomes passive. The hip is then passive, and then you get the hiking of the hip in this pose. Perhaps if we only let the foot be placed on the side of the leg as high as the hip muscles can put it, then those hip muscles will also perhaps support good hip pelvic alignment?

I think one of the keys to warrior one, as with most backbends, is to extend the hips-square is not enough. In fact, just holding the pelvis square may actually increase low back problems-because the hip muscles are not pushing us into the pose, then the spinal muscles may compensate, resulting in hyper-extrnsion of the lumbar spine.
In warrior pose, you will often see that both hips are often falling forwards, especially on the leading leg, so that the lower spine becomes the hinge around which the body turns. It's important to keep the hinge in the next body segment down, at the hip joints.
But your solution sounds good-over time, you can obviously work on getting the feet wider, but stopping when the hips are no longer able to extend.

With trikonasana, you have to rememember that I am not bound by the rules of Iyengar alignment, and so I expect to raise eyebrows-scary thought, considering the size of Iyengar's eyebrows .
I think that the instruction to keep the pelvis facing forwards is too one-dimensional for most students-the reason a prop has to be used is because the pelvis cannot be tipped completely over to one side if it stays in alignment with the legs-in most cases, anyway. In twenty years I've never met anyone that can do it. You would need very long arms and very short legs, and most probably something called hip anteversion would also help.
As far as spinal health is concerned, performing trikonasana with the hips facing forwards and the hand on the floor is for most students, a no-no. Your use of the prop is then perfectly sensible. I prefer to use the 'hip drive,' in this posture and all others, to guide the rest of me through to a posture that is beneficial for health. As you can see, I've used hip drive in the other two postures as well. In my students, if their hamstrings are too tight to grab hold of the big toe, then I'll get them to bend their knee, and then over time, lenghthen the hamstrings.
I think grabbing hold of the big toe is a huge part of this pose. Putting the hand on the floor often results in misalignment as we tend to support ourselves on that arm, and putting the back of the hand against the side of the shin, encourages us to push the hand back against the leg.
Both these hand positions, then, serve to create crumpe zones in regions such as the shoulders, spine, and hips.
But if you pull on the toe, with skilful posture, your body then get pulled towards better posture, and these crumple zones then get stretched out, so that the energy created by the posture runs through these crumple zones, rather than getting trapped within them.

Hope that helps this debate.

Nick

Edited by Nick 2008-03-14 5:17 AM
tourist
Posted 2008-03-14 10:30 AM (#104909 - in reply to #104896)

Expert Yogi

Almost nobody I know can put their hand on the floor in trikonasana and keep good alignment, including many long time, athletic practitioners. Hand to block or ankle is about it for most.
Nick
Posted 2008-03-14 1:33 PM (#104913 - in reply to #104909)

Hi Glenda,
I would also say that is true, but surely it is only because of the present thinking on pelvic alignment within the pose? I mean, it's reasonably easy for a student of sufficient stretchiness, to use a medical term , to put one hand flat on the floor. There are several ways of doing this, the most important, to me, would be to form the posture in such a way as to encourage a neutral lumbar spine with a pelvic position which encourages a neutral spine. I reckon that with trikonasana being taught with the pelvis in the same plane as the legs, then for most, putting the hand on the floor is unfeasible and undesirable. But for those who choose to modify the pose by coupling the tilt of their pelvis with the neutral spine, and perhaps taking their feet further apart and making sure the heel is in line with the arch of the opposite foot, perhaps bending the knee if the hamstrings are too tight to allow the pelvis to continue moving us into the pose, which then creates a posture which is driven by the strongest muscles in the human body, the hip muscles.
But I still think it's better to hold the big toe, and pull your body towards the fixed point-being careful to keep the ball of the foot squeezed to the floor.

Take care
Nick

Posted 2008-03-14 11:19 PM (#104949 - in reply to #104913)

If you have your feet lined up (front foot straight forward, back foot directly behind at a 45 degree angle), a long straight line (including shoulders) from hand to hand, and a long, straight, extended spine (including neck and without the lower torso side being shorter), your hand can ONLY go where it "should be." (To have a "long, straight, extended spine" you must tilt your pelvis).

For me, before I am thoroughly warmed up and stretched out, hand to ankle or foot is enough, holding the big toe works well once warmed up and hand to floor is only possible with a wider stance, although I find hand to floor requires too much focus on the hand to the floor rather than the overall quality of the pose and I therefore don't do it (it also somehow feels out of balance). I think that focus on the overall quality of the pose is the important thing, not the placement of the hand. If the body is open and balanced and you feel the flow of energy, the alignment is probably right. I think that poor alignment often happens when you are trying to focus on a particular part of the pose to the expense of the entire pose.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)