YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weird feeling between eyebrows
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Lost_Traveller
Posted 2008-03-04 3:54 AM (#104387)
Subject: Weird feeling between eyebrows

New to these forums ! I have a question regarding my meditation. I am a self learner. I do not have a teacher or any formal training.

First I will tell you how I meditate.

1) I begin by taking a few deep breaths and then start watching my breath
2) With time, my thoughts seems to abate a bit.
3) I transfer my focus from the breath to the upper tip of my nose to the point between my eyebrows
4) Now , I start "listening" to a mantra in my mind. Initially, I hear a chorus of male/female voices. With time and more concentration, I can bring it down to a deep and quiet voice of a male.

As soon as I transfer my attention to the point between my eyebrows, I start feeling a certain heaviness in and around that area. The heaviness extends upwards towards the forehead. The feeling is just that; heaviness. Nothing peaceful or discomforting about it. The feeling stays for some time and then I tend to lose my concentration, so the feeling goes away.

What is this feeling ? Does it indicate anything what so ever ? Is this feeling purely physical or does it have any spiritual undertone ? I will appreciate if anybody can shed some light on this.

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-03-04 6:10 AM (#104388 - in reply to #104387)
Subject: RE: Weird feeling between eyebrows

This question should be addressed to the source where you got this technique, whether teacher, book, video or yourself.

If you yourself developed the technique, practice for long time and you shall know the answer.

Best Luck
Lost_Traveller
Posted 2008-03-04 7:20 AM (#104389 - in reply to #104387)
Subject: RE: Weird feeling between eyeb

Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression that this sensation is natural and is a fairly common experience for someone who starts out meditating at the point between the eyebrows. I actually do not have a set technique. I keep trying different things and decide for myself what seems to work best for me.

But which ever way I go, when I focus my attention at the spot in between the eyebrows, I get a heavy tingling sensation. I get the same feeling if I close my eyes and bring a finger very close up to the point, but do not touch it. I don't know what it is, whether it should arise or whether it is in any way connected to the important chakra which is said to reside at that point.

I believe in the process of experimentation. What I am loosely trying to do, is meditate on the third eye. I stare from inside at my forehead or I fix my attention at the point between the eyebrows and concentrate on the point. I sometimes try to bring the picture of a deity at these points or say a mantra directed towards these points...I keep doing different things ! I have a feeling that I should pick one method and stick to it. But I want to see which method is more comfortable.

Anyways, thanks for your reply. Your help is appreciated much !
alexl
Posted 2008-03-13 1:09 AM (#104838 - in reply to #104387)

Hi,
Since You mention that You're focusing on the 3rd eye, I believe that the weird feeling is the sensation from activated 3rd eye chakra. This is very common in meditation.
I'm practicing Divine Love & Lights Meditation Technique, where we are given an attunement to activate all 7 major Chakras plus few Divine Chakras. It's very simple and effective. No ritual, no mantras etc.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-03-13 9:39 AM (#104851 - in reply to #104389)
Subject: RE: Weird feeling between eyeb

No problems. If what you wrote below is true, continue with this method. I would suggest around 2 years minimum daily practice to make any conclusions, if they are the conclusions based on your experimentation. If I am later going to learn that technique from you based on your experimental knowledge, I shall join your class (and definitely pracice as you say), only if you state that you have practiced the technique at least 5 years.

Lost_Traveller - 2008-03-04 7:20 AM

Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression that this sensation is natural and is a fairly common experience for someone who starts out meditating at the point between the eyebrows. I actually do not have a set technique. I keep trying different things and decide for myself what seems to work best for me.

But which ever way I go, when I focus my attention at the spot in between the eyebrows, I get a heavy tingling sensation. I get the same feeling if I close my eyes and bring a finger very close up to the point, but do not touch it. I don't know what it is, whether it should arise or whether it is in any way connected to the important chakra which is said to reside at that point.

I believe in the process of experimentation. What I am loosely trying to do, is meditate on the third eye. I stare from inside at my forehead or I fix my attention at the point between the eyebrows and concentrate on the point. I sometimes try to bring the picture of a deity at these points or say a mantra directed towards these points...I keep doing different things ! I have a feeling that I should pick one method and stick to it. But I want to see which method is more comfortable.

Anyways, thanks for your reply. Your help is appreciated much !
Shakuhachi
Posted 2008-04-12 10:06 PM (#106182 - in reply to #104387)

That is the muscle strain from focusing your eyes while concentrating. Try to concentrate with more relaxation of the eyes. Relax entire body including eyes. That field of your forehead will seem to open to three dimensionality. No big deal. Just keep one pointed through it all.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)