YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pregnancy and Power Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

rara134
Posted 2008-02-27 8:09 PM (#104078)
Subject: Pregnancy and Power Yoga

Power yoga and pregnancy. It is my opinion that power yoga is not the optimal
practice for pregnancy, especially for beginners. However, I don't like to turn
students away, so I modify the poses for them so that they can still take my
class. However, I still feel that power yoga in general is too intense for
pregnancy, and personally I would not practice if I were pregnant. I always let
my students know this, but find ones that still want to take my class, although
there are many great prenatal classes or more gentle classes in the city.

Just last week, I had a begining class with 30 people in it. And 5
minutes late a had a 6 month pregnant woman enter class. I didn't see her until
her mat was already laid out in the front of the room, at which point I had to
discreetly approach her and tell her that there would be some things that she
would not be able to do that day and I would let her know when the poses came.
She had never practiced yoga before and had heard it was good for pregnancy,
however didn't understand the differences in styles. After class I spent a long
time talking with her about the different options she had and poses that she
should avoid during pregnancy. Another woman who was in the class heard us
talking and said "I'm pregnant too". This woman had come to class a few times
prior. I was surprised she didn't tell me before class and felt bad that I
directed her to do poses that I beleive are dangerous for pregnancy, but she
wasn't showing at all and I had no idea. I am considering making it a policy
for pregnant women to meet with me 15 minutes before their first class so that
I can inform them well, and also having them bring a note from their doctor. (however making policies like this isn't easy as a work at a large university where I am not really in charge of my program.) Even if I create that policy, I also have the issue of it being ignored and having new students who are pregnant come in late or not inform me. After their first class I have each new student fill out a form detailing injuries and medical conditions, but I am still iniformed until after they finish their first class. I would obviously prefer if NO students walked in late or right before class, especially the new ones... but i feel like my program would loose a lot of potential growth and I would reach less people with yoga, if I shut the door 5 minutes before class.

Do you think I should have pregnant women take another class all together. I feel like this makes the most sense, as generally 50 percent or more of what I do in my class, they need to avoid. Well, I feel bad turning anyone away...I want what is best for their health and their baby's health which would be a more gentle paced class.
What do you think?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
diyyogini
Posted 2008-02-27 9:20 PM (#104082 - in reply to #104078)
Subject: RE: Pregnancy and Power Yoga

It sounds like you are handling it as best you can. It's tough when you are not running your own program. I would have a talk with your supervisor to make sure you are on the same page about you having final authority. Some facilities won't even let you ask about people's conditions because it could be construed as medical advice, which is absurd I think, but they're just trying to avoid lawsuits.

You're right, some people will not let you know, and at the end of the day it's their responsibility.

In fact, I taught a core strengthening class at a government facility and one of the women told me in private she was pregnant, but she could not let her colleagues know, so I gave her lots of modifications and we came up with a cover about an injury (I will spare you my rant about the absurd pressures and discrimination in the corporate world).

I don't think a power class is a good one for a pregnant woman. I taught a power class for the first couple of months but I dialed it back and did a lot more verbal instruction rather than physical demonstration. However, I would not recommend this for someone without years of yoga practice.

At 6 months along, yes she should be in a prenatal class instead. Many people say to avoid yoga completely in months 1 -3 because that's the greatest risk of miscarriage. I don't agree with that, but I think that time is the right time to begin modifications, even though the belly is not yet big. (Frankly the early miscarriage issues have more to do with birth defects than anything the mother really does, other than extreme behavior of course).

I have some reasons for why women should take a prenatal class and why it is different on my site if this helps: http://8thelementyoga.com/prenatal/

Posted 2008-02-28 12:11 AM (#104085 - in reply to #104078)

This is a tough topic. Some people will swear up and down that it is perfectly fine to have a frisky practice when pregnant. And I've read a story here and there from someone who says "I did and everything went fine".

I think that perspective, while it may be the end result 95% of time, it misses the point. No one should be hurt in yoga practice. And that 5% risk to one fetus is enough to me. But that is just me. I advise students who are pregnant in a way that fits with my training, background, and understanding. I do not allow them to do things in my class that I believe are deleterious to a developing fetus and growing mommy. They may do as they please in another class with another teacher or at home on their own. But I do not teach in a way that would facilitate injury.

It sounds to me like you've already got a position on this and you merely need some support. And I'll gladly give it. Tell them those things that you can live with as a teacher. What you share should create a feeling of harmony in your body. If it does not, then it creates disharmony and rarely do good things come directly from disharmony.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-02-28 12:12 AM

Posted 2008-02-28 8:41 AM (#104092 - in reply to #104078)

if you think it's best that they not practice in your class, then it is appropriate to make a policy that states this. put it in your marketing, announce it at the beginning of class, and provide a list of other prenatal yoga providers in the area that they can check out if these people show up for class.

hnia
Posted 2008-02-29 3:27 PM (#104154 - in reply to #104078)

I have pregnant students show up for my class but they don't usually come back.

diyyogini
Posted 2008-02-29 3:57 PM (#104161 - in reply to #104078)

Anecdotally, a teacher friend told me about another teacher friend who did full inversions throughout her pregnancy. Her baby was 2 months premature. Now, there are no studies showing cause and effect, but purnayoga is right. It's not worth the risk. There will be plenty of time after the baby is born for headstands and during pregnancy it's important to remind women that asana is only 1/8th of the raja yoga equation.

Posted 2008-03-01 1:19 PM (#104190 - in reply to #104078)

i have anecdotal evidence to the contrary, and a local teacher here who teaches prenatal (and is from india and iyengar trained), teaches head stand throughout pregnancy to help alleviate many pregnancy problems and help women balance and strengthen for birth.

it can be a very effective tool.

Posted 2008-03-01 8:16 PM (#104211 - in reply to #104078)

I'd just like to point out that I did not take a position on inversions and pregnancy in my earlier post.

Posted 2008-03-02 6:52 AM (#104224 - in reply to #104078)

i don't think that anyone said that you did.

but, i do have to ask--can you give an example of a yoga posture or practice that would harm a developing fetus and explain how that posture or practice would cause harm and what kind(s) of harm those practices would cause a fetus?

----

beyond that, i think that one of the things that i find frustrating about the prenatal classes that i've attended thus far is that everyone complains about their pregnancy (pains and fears mostly), and yet the teachers offer little by way of solutions to either situations (utilizing yoga to overcome common pregnancy discomforts and symptoms--none of which i have btw anyway--or utilizing yoga to overcome fears and other concerns) other than "now we can support each other in our fear and misery."

except that, i am not experiencing any fears or physical discomforts, nor do i have any expectation to, and when i do experience something, i utilize yoga postures and practices to overcome these discomforts and fears, even though the teacher or what have you may assert that the posture is contraindicated even though there is no explanation as to why that might be contraindicated.

the other aspect of the prenatal yoga classes that i've attended so far that i dislike is a great disrespect for differences.

I do not go to a doctor or midwife for my pregnancy or birth care. i am taking full responsibility for this process, which i consider to be healthy and natural and not a medical situation which requires monitoring. if i experience something that i feel requires medical attention, then i would seek medical attention. but i do not consider pregnancy itself a medical emergency or situation that requires constant monitoring.

in the prenatal classes that i've attended thus far, i have been asked to share my birth hopes and fears. i do not have birth fears--and i am chastized for being "in denial" and whatever else. when sharing my hopes, i tend to be vague, not going into the details of my birth plans.

some people have pushed, after i assert that i'm planning a homebirth. at times, this is chastized by the other women and the teacher, and other times, the teacher presses and asks who my midwife is, or why i'm not using a birth center instead, and of course i get the accusation of "you're putting the importance of your experience over the health of the baby!"

these coersive, fear-mongering tactics are not what i want from a yoga class, which i believe is intended to develop a community of mothers (new and experienced) so that we can rely on each other and perhaps create a play group for our children.

what i have found instead is that most people--teachers included--are not accepting of my birth choices, and in particular when i'm "outed" as having an unmedicalized, unassisted pregnancy and childbirth, and that instead i have wasted my time and money being given a class that is not functional for supporting the body during it's pregnancy adaptations or preparing the body for birth nor is it functional for supporting any emotional or social needs that i may have.

i would prefer to go to my friend--the woman i mentioned above--but her class is offered when i am already teaching. instead, she is supportive via email, etc, and she has offered great insight into all of my practices when i do have questions, as well as support for my choice to birth without hinderences.
diyyogini
Posted 2008-03-02 2:09 PM (#104247 - in reply to #104078)

Wow Zoe, I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience in your prenatal class.

One message hammered home in the prenatal teacher training I took was to offer support, not judgment, and that every woman has a right to experience birth in her own way and to not criticize a woman for either birthing at home or having a planned C-section, despite your own feelings on the subject.

Heck, I think the only opinions I've offered is on how wonderful Gatorade was for me in the first trimester and how much swimming has helped my pregnancy.

I do a check-in at the start of each class to see if there are any new developments people want to share, in part to allow women to share good news and in part to learn of any new developments that require modifications. But my goodness, I would never tell a woman she was in "denial", especially since I'm not a trained psychotherapist.

Maybe there's another teacher in your area who offers a more non-judgmental approach?

Posted 2008-03-02 2:32 PM (#104248 - in reply to #104224)

Zoe: but, i do have to ask--can you give an example of a yoga posture or practice that would harm a developing fetus and explain how that posture or practice would cause harm and what kind(s) of harm those practices would cause a fetus?

I suppose I could do so Zoe but I think the topic is too charged and I don't see a productive direction based on that energy. So I'll politely decline on the issue of deleterious postures for pregnancy - for now.

Relative to pregnant students in class, be they Zoe or others, their life choices are just fine with me. I consider my separation between myself and my students, my life and the lives of my students, my yoga and the yoga of my students, to be healthy separation. It is neither attachment or detachment.

I offer what I know to those who come to learn. What they do from there is absolutely perfectly fine with me. Whether I consider pregnancy "medical" and they do or do not simply never crosses my mind. I don't care one iota if a student chooses a midwife or not. I don't care if they birth in the pool at the Y or the tub at home, or the emergency room at County General. It's simply not my business as it is not my life.

I do however care about the health and well being of my students. But that merely directs my teaching and approach. It is not a method for control. In that light I offer direction and it may be accepted in whole or in part (or not at all).

Posted 2008-03-02 4:38 PM (#104257 - in reply to #104078)

i don't really think of this topic as particularly "highly charged" and that the purpose of learning is to discuss those things that even may be difficult.

one of the reasons to discuss or give a single example of a posture and how it may harm and why is to discuss what the real issue is in regards to that posture, and the developing pregnant body and the developing fetal body.

----

it should be noted that there are dozens of prenatal yoga classes in my area (afterall, within 45 mintues of my home, there are over 200 yoga facilities or yoga-combo facilities, or yoga offered as wellness or gym services at some place or another). i know many of the teachers, and while all very nice people, i have had no real positive support for my birth plans.

personally, i am accepting of anyone's birth choices. my students have chosen everything from midwife-assisted homebirths to elective, scheduled c-sections. i teach these students as they present what they need, and support all of their choices and options. that's my path--with pregnant people or otherwise.

i have attended numerous classes with various teachers in the area. one teacher does do a lot to prepare for birth and such, and she's a great gal, but she is "adamantly against" me speaking about my birth/pregnancy process even philosophically, and feels that even my presence is "dangerous to the health and wellbeing" of the other students, because i dare to suggest that, IMO and for me, pregnancy is not a medical event. she does support midwife-assisted homebirth entirely.

so, even when the yoga aspect is good, the social aspect generally isn't--from top down. beyond teachers, the other students can be incredibly catty about the whole thing, and i had one class's teacher call me and say that the students had decided that i was "too judgemental" and therefore not welcome in class.

this was based on the after-class conversation where one woman asked me where i was giving birth, and when i asserted i was homebirthing, she shut down and said "oh, well, not all of us are so lucky!" in a nasty tone. I didn't judge her--i had no clue of her plans at all. i was just answering the question.

so, in some cases, i'm simply "not welcome" and in other cases, i simply do not want to go through the continued questioning of my motives and morality. in the last class i took, the teacher pushed until i finally asserted i was going unassisted, to which she said "it is highly immoral, IMO, to value the birth itself over the health and wellbeing of your baby." and i said "i agree, but i am not doing that. i feel that this method of birth is the safest and healthiest for my baby, and if i felt otherwise, i would choose otherwise."

she was not happy and said that i didn't have a very "yogic" attitude.

so, no point in paying for grief.

Edited by zoebird 2008-03-02 4:47 PM
diyyogini
Posted 2008-03-02 4:56 PM (#104258 - in reply to #104078)

purnayoga had some really good things to say. The one thing that I would add is that I ask that prenatal students are being honest with their bodies, their instructors and their caregivers.

There's such a pressure for pregnant women to be "superwomen" in the workplace and pretend like nothing has changed that this pressure can carry over into yoga classes.

In terms of specific for contraindications, here's what I have learned in my prenatal teacher training, my own experience, and from what I have read in the various pregnancy books.

Full inversions: risk of placental abruption in that the placenta can pull away from the uterus

Lying on your back: At six months (sometimes earlier) the baby can put pressure on the vena cava and inhibit blood flow back to the heart. This has been studied with fetal heart rate monitors and momma in a full supine position.

Lying on your belly: obvious pressure, discomfort, risk of compressing the umbilical cord and putting pressure on the placenta

Deep twists (beyond a 45 degree angle): risk of compressing the umbilical cord and restricting blood supply to the baby

Deep back bends: risk of tearing the rectus abdominus which is already super stretched out

Double leg lifts, as in boat: pressure on the uterus and too much pressure on the round ligaments which hold up the uterus (I've experienced this personally)

Unsupported squats after 36 weeks: the pelvic floor might not be strong enough to sustain this position and could risk preterm labor, which is why deep squats without support are contraindicated after 36 weeks, or if there is already some weakness in the pelvic floor

Deep lunges without support of a knee on the floor: too much pressure on the pelvic floor, may induce a strain

Unsupported forward folds: risk of falling (using a chair to come in and out of standing forward folds is best)

Going in and out of forward folds too quickly (as in a regular vinyasa class): Risk of dizziness and nausea

One of the best bits of advice came from one of my pregnant student's moms. I was showing her full camel as an example of a pose to be modified or avoided in pregnancy and her mom (who practiced yoga regularly) said the best thing, "Well I don't know how you could get out of that easily when you're eight month pregnant." That's been one of my guiding principles as well.

Posted 2008-03-02 5:15 PM (#104260 - in reply to #104078)

i agree that the bottom line should be about caring about the health and wellbeing of the client, but i question whether our own cultural fears and perspectives about pregnancy can inhibit our ability to truly live up to this core value.

in a class that i took, the teacher kept avoiding certain things that could have helped a particular client--things that are contraindicated according to the general list (thanks for providing diy)--but the teacher kept avoiding it both because it was contraindicated and she felt that the student might increase the harm.

and yet, in seeking to avoid harming, she instead allowed the student to perpetuate in harm, when the student was actively seeking a method of overcoming the situation. basically, by treating the client out of fear (and thus avoiding what would help), the teacher was allowing the student's suffering to continue, needlessly, and therefore was not working toward the health and wellbeing of the student.

now, whether the student wants, takes, utilizes the information or what have you *is* up to the student. but what is offered is up to the teacher.

and if the teacher truly wants to serve to the client's health and wellbeing, then the teacher must be willing to offer what can help--even if it's contraindicated in a book, or what have you.

a lot of the contraindications are important, but they're really only very small risk factors. the issue of placental tearing/etc from inversion, for example, seems to be a very small risk considering the gravitational situation of most placentas (being high in the uterus and having gravity pulling down when the person is standing up), but could be a risk for women who have certain pre-existing conditions or certain diagnosis that would indicate that this could be a risk.

it's definitely worth knowing, but it's also worth asking--is this a common case or a special case? is this a big risk to most women or a small risk to most women or a big risk to some wmoen and which women?

and if someone says "better safe than sorry" are they not thinking about their own fears before client health/wellbeing?

and isn't that going against the very notion of what this is for?
tourist
Posted 2008-03-02 6:56 PM (#104266 - in reply to #104260)

Expert Yogi

It seems to me that a lot of the contraindications for a lot of things in pregnancy are statistically ridiculously small and our current attitudes of zero% risk creates fear and misunderstanding. Under the correct circumstances, full inversions are absolutely indicated and desirable for certain mothers. MOST mothers, even those who are long term practitioners at what we will call for the moment an "advanced" level, will opt out of full inversions at some point if they are knowledgeable and honest with themselves. As with anyone, the "danger" points tend to be going in and out of the pose, not performing the pose itself. Good lord - I cannot begin to imagine getting into headstand with either of my pregnancies after about 5 months. I was seriously huge....

Posted 2008-03-02 7:07 PM (#104269 - in reply to #104078)

i wouldn't necessarily say so.

i mean, most of my students are well aware that asana is only 1/8 of yoga, and they're quite adept at choosing their own process (because, afterall, for many of them there are times when not pregnant and nothing "unusual" is going on that they opt out of inversions--myself included, btw), and they may still choose to utilize an inversion, or a forward bend or whatever.

i think that the question still stands though--are the risks real, for whom are they real, when, and when are we letting our fear override our interest in helping increase the health and wellbeing of the client?

it might be noted that during the first trimester, i was very tired. it was really they only symptom of pregnancy that i had--it was as if someone was drugging me throughout the day. LOL! so, i didn't do nearly the activity that i was used to doing. i would get up, teach, go home and rest, then teach, and then go home and sleep. of course, i would eat in there too.

part of my rest was 30 mintues of very gentle, fully supported asana practice (that is, with props, all on the floor, etc) followed by 30-45 minutes of meditation, then contemplation/visualization.

now that my energy is back, i'm slowly adding back in my long walks (right now, i do about 2 miles instead of my pre-pregnancy 7, but i'm getting back up there. it's also really cold outside. LOL!), and i'm gently moving back into a more vigorous practice. i'm still not doing sun salutations, etc, but i have added in standing postures, as well as more challenging floor work, and more vigorous pranayama, and so on.

i do also practice inversions--including headstand and various arm balances--and it really feels good on my belly/back in particular.

of course, i'm only 14 weeks and 4 days, and i'm not really showing yet. most people who are abotu the same as me, as far as how far along, look much bigger than i do. i look like them at about 6-8 weeks (depending upon the person). so, i'm not very large.

i feel strong and healthy, like everything is normal, and it feels good.
diyyogini
Posted 2008-03-03 2:33 PM (#104350 - in reply to #104078)

This is similar to the big debate of pregnancy and scuba diving and the truth is we have no scientific research on safety limits because to test on real pregnant women would be unethical.

A teacher has to teach what they feel confident in teaching given their knowledge as well. Yes, it's true teachers in a lawsuit have the threat of litigation hanging over us, but I think most teachers are more concerned about hurting the student. Since I'm not a trained midwife or obgyn, it's impossible for me to know who would be at risk for placental abruption or a knot in the umbilical cord. For me I take the attitude of helping as much as I can without knowingly causing any harm.

I personally can't see full inversions helping back pain or turning a breech baby much more than a partial inversion like Down Dog, but that's been my experience. To take pressure off the back and belly recommend my students getting into the water, either swimming or just splashing around because that's been a godsend for me.

Yes, it's true there are things that are only a concern in later trimesters, such as lying on your back, but I like to start developing the habits in the earlier months so they become easy habits later on. I also deviate from some conventions in that I accept women in my first trimester - some teachers won't because the risk of miscarriage is greatest in the first trimester. But that again is a comfort issue teachers have to draw for themselves. I also incorporate some gentle belly dance movement into my class, but that's something I feel very comfortable in doing after researching heavily and working with my own dance practice. Other prenatal teachers might think that's dangerous, but again a teacher has to draw on their own research and personal and professional experience.

I also try to tell my students why we are modifying certain things, along with the benefits of each pose and where I've received that information so that they can make informed decisions for their home practice. I tell them that what they do at home is completely their business, but in class we take the more conservative route because everyone is different and at different stages. That's not to say we don't do work, such as doing standing poses and modified chatturanga, it's just that we modify using props, body positioning, etc. to make it as safe as possible.

Funny story: I was at a big doctor's complex dropping off my prenatal yoga brochures and on the way in I saw a pregnant woman and her husband walking out of the office after just seeing the doctor. These were her words, "I might do that thing on all fours but there's no way I'm doing that dog thing and putting my butt up in the air. I don't give a **** if it's breech and they have to cut me open there's no way my butt's going in the air." I was tempted to hand her a yoga brochure but felt it would be a waste of paper.

Posted 2008-03-03 3:24 PM (#104360 - in reply to #104078)

i do understand taking the conservative approach because of the vast differences between individuals in a given classroom. Generalities do make sense, and particularly when you're talking about groups of people wherein each person has different requirements and needs.

in group settings, i take that class to that "common denominator" that they all share, which may mean cutting out any number of postures that might be individually beneficial for this or that student, but is not functional for the group as a whole, to reach the general needs of everyone in that setting.

this is part of the unique variation of a group setting for teaching as opposed to the one-on-one situation. in truth, everyone gets some need met, but no one gets all of their needs met.

beyond this, there is still a philosophical/perspective difference at play. When seeking out scientific research or when relying on the opinions and ideas of the midwife/doctor as the resource for discerning what is appropriate for a client, i feel that one is disempowering themselves and the client.

it asserts that instead of the individual having the experience and being able to express that experience, the only way the experience has any value, or may be made safe or appropriate, is if that has some external stamp of approval--the scientific study or the doctor/midwife.

this is not to say that scientific studies and doctors/midwives are not useful resources for helping us to understand the situation that the individual is experiencing in a fuller manner, but simply that it isn't the only manner in which an individual can fully experience their process, and that it may not be necessary to rely on these for some form of approval.

instead, i fully believe that the person who understands what is going on the best is the person who is experiencing it--even if she can't describe it in western, scientific, diagnostic terms but rather uses terms of feeling and sensing. and while that person may seek out diagnostic terms (the aid of a doctor/midwife/scientific study), this isn't always necessary, and to assert that it should be or must be, disempowers the individual's experience, stating that it's only valid if an outsider says it's valid.

with this, i take yoga at it's word that it's a healing discipline, with a long-standing tradition of what is safe and not safe, why and when (because, largely, contraindications are specific not generalizations), and i trust in my teachers, my education, my experience, my study, my intuition, and most importantly, in the information given to me by the student, in the student's own words and experiences (which may include medical diagnosis).

and from there, i offer options to that student and the student decides what works, what is effective and what is supportive to their health and wellbeing.

and of course, this refers to anything--not just pregnancy but all aspects of life and yoga. most of my students are "generally healthy people" and yet i know that yoga is still functioning in their lives as a healing discipline. what they share with me changes me teaching to adapt to their specific needs, as they describe their experience.

in the general classes, i cannot meet all of the needs all of the time, but i can meet a lot of the common needs a lot of the time, and that's helpful.

but i do encourage specialized classes too--workshops, private lessons, etc.
santosha07
Posted 2008-03-06 3:32 PM (#104503 - in reply to #104266)

During my second pregnancy 5 years ago , I practiced a gentle style of Hatha yoga with very few modifications offered to me. I now have Diastisis Recti. I did not know what this was until I was in yoga teacher training. You could stick your entire fist into my abdomen. My teacher is creator of Mamaste Yoga, she discovered the split. I was able to get it back to about an inch apart, but still I have difficulty with inversions and even Navasana is difficult for me. I personally believe this was caused by extreem twisting and forward bends. I must also mention that a woman in the same class ended up on bed rest with Placental Abruption. She almost lost her baby.

I am probably more extreem in my "safety" concerns due to this situation and in fact do request my students be past their 1st trimester. I am not comfortable teaching a Vinyasa style class to a pregnant woman and have upset a few people because of my philosophy. Teachers also need to realize that the hormone relaxin allows mothers to go deeper into asana than they should, potentially causing harm.

Today I see pregnant women practicing Power Yoga and HEATED at that and I actually get very upset by this, however, I know this is their path, not mine.

As for prenatal yoga classes. I feel these classes should be supportive, so it concerns me to know there are classes that do not promote a welcoming environment for new mothers. The style I teach prepares mothers for a natural birth, but honors and respects those who choose alternative methods.
tourist
Posted 2008-03-06 6:40 PM (#104507 - in reply to #104503)

Expert Yogi

I think it is fair to say that mothers can have either of those conditions without ever being in a yoga class or in fact, ever doing something "wrong." Nevertheless, in our blame oriented society, people will always suspect the "newer" or different activity for causing the problem. I am not advocating for vigorous practice during pregnancy, Iyengar yoga takes a rather conservative approach as well and I am happy to follow the guidelines I have been given.
santosha07
Posted 2008-03-06 7:04 PM (#104508 - in reply to #104507)

tourist - 2008-03-06 5:40 PM

I think it is fair to say that mothers can have either of those conditions without ever being in a yoga class or in fact, ever doing something "wrong." Nevertheless, in our blame oriented society, people will always suspect the "newer" or different activity for causing the problem. I am not advocating for vigorous practice during pregnancy, Iyengar yoga takes a rather conservative approach as well and I am happy to follow the guidelines I have been given.

I agree completely, however, I was split from sternum to pubis (fist width). It was pretty severe. This experience simply led me to practice much more caution with my students. Better safe than sorry.

Posted 2008-03-07 10:01 AM (#104521 - in reply to #104078)

but again, "better safe than sorry" is a mentality of fear, not a mentality of teaching from a place of honesty, which is something that i call into question at it's very basis.

i have no problem if a person feels that a pregnant woman shouldn't practice certain things, and as a teacher, they do not offer these things to their students for a variety of reasons. but when that reason is fear, then i question the validity of the reason--simply because i don't believe in acting from a place of fear.

i wouldn't necessarily say that your hatha yoga class caused the two conditions that you experienced (yours and another's), but that it could have been a factor or not. it really depends upon the situation.

i know many women who have DR, most of whom have never done yoga or have another form of fitness regime or no fitness regime. the cause of DR is not yoga, or deep backbends, but rather a lack of using the pelvic floor and transverse abdominal muscles during the pregnancy development. this can be for any number of reasons, but having weak muscles there, plus the addition of relaxin, is the common cause of DR.

therefore, the common "treatment" of DR is to teach a woman to utilize these muscles properly during pregnancy. if she is utilizing these muslces, then she can do deep back bends or even boat pose and what not--safely--if she wishes to utilize these postures.

Also, there's an article on my website about dealing with DR via yoga, as well as preventing it, written by a friend of mine who teaches prenatal yoga. It's worth a read, if you want to check it out.
santosha07
Posted 2008-03-07 11:15 AM (#104526 - in reply to #104078)

Hmmm...I have never thought about "better safe than sorry" coming from a place of fear. I can see how that could be seen as such and will most likely come back to this point in other areas of my teaching for sure. I feel differently about prenatal yoga though and I do not think I have been clear about my reasoning or given enough background, as I really did not expect to be responded to. This just happens to be a topic I am passionate about since my yoga practice has been altered due to DR.

I did not realize this at the time, but the teacher I was taking from did not have training in prenatal, nor did she have a personal practice or take continuing education. I trusted her to give me the proper modifications, which were along the lines of "open your legs wide in forward bends" and "off the back after 5-6 months", that's about it.

I had been practicing yoga about 8 years at the time and felt confident my body was strong and knew when to back off. I had practiced prenatal yoga during my first pregnancy and all went well, no problems. I felt confident walking into a Hatha class for my second pregnancy since there were no options close to me for prenatal yoga. I entered a teacher training program 4 months after my daughter was born and at 7 months post-partum my teacher found the DR. She specifically asked if I had been offered modifications during my practice during the pregnancy. She said this was the worst case she had ever seen and that the backbends, twisting, & deep forward bends were probably the cause. She showed me how to bring it back together the best I could and now it is much better, but I still need to use a bind when inverting.

My teacher is Karen Prior of Mamaste' Yoga and one of the leading experts in the field of Prenatal Yoga. She developed this system with an OBGYN and has worked closely with mid-wives. She does believe in a more conservative approach, preparing a woman's body for the marathon of birth and bonding with her baby, so naturally my teaching follows her philosophy. This method teaches coming from love and support, not fear.

I don't look at this as coming from fear, rather coming from the place of my training and my personal experience. While it is true both conditions I mentioned earlier could happen to anyone, I strongly believe this happened in this particular yoga class. I am drawing this conclusion from my training and personal experience.

I do not blame this teacher, as she did not know better. I have no room in my heart for blame. I just take what I know and apply it and try my best to be non-judgmental when I see other teachers take less care, since it is simply a question of philosophy/training. It is hard for me though, since I will be living with this the rest of my life and would not want this to happen to anyone else. I am sure this is magnified for me though since it is my career.

So, no blame, no fear, I just prefer to follow contraindications I have been given, especially since this is a personal experience for me.

I will check out your website though and will consider the different between coming from fear and being cautious. I think I have learned something in that regard and will apply it to other areas.

Also, I am thankful for this forum and have read silently for a long while.

Namaste'

Posted 2008-03-07 12:21 PM (#104530 - in reply to #104526)

i think that a big problem that we have in the yoga industry in general is untrained, unprepared teachers.

in regards to teaching, aside from blatantly problematic teaching forms or alignment problems or dangerous behaviors, it might also be noted that just because you see something as dangerous or problematic based on your training doesn't mean that the teacher-in-question is "taking less care."

in fact, i take great care towards all of my students, and i rely on my training and my process of study as well as my relationship with that student to create the sort of practice that *that* student needs.

it is, simply, that my training and perspective is different when it comes to any special-case student.

because our culture is western and western medicine/science/thought is prized, we tend to look there first for answers and cautions.

but, i do not take this perspective. i believe that yoga is more comprehensive, more deeply aware of, and more integrated understanding of the human being, at every level of being. i do utilize medical information to gain a broader understanding (beyond what my yoga understanding may be, or to understand specifically what things should be considered and how/why), but my first process is to think about the problem from a yoga asana perspective, rather than a western-medical perspective.

the practice of yoga asana is the process of creating and building dynamic health and wellbeing (in addition to it's many other spiritual benefits). the practice of medicine in the west--particularly in regards to pregnancy--is looking for problems early in pregnancy, and once the child is viable, seeking for way to avoid problems. it takes the perspective that pregnancy is a situation of problems, that we need to be cautious and careful, that we need to worry and we need to be "better safe than sorry." to me, all of this is a position of fear and the desire to control.

yoga, on the other hand, is really a process of observing, learning, and practicing with openness and diligence. this doesn't mean that there isn't care and caution in the action of the practice, but that there aren't firm/fixed rules for any given thing because each person is different, and each need is different, and each process is going to be different.

thus, the problem i have with much of prenatal training is 1. it's reliance on a fear-based medical model rather than the knowledge-based yoga model, and 2. that if there is a slight risk of X, then it's contraindicated for everyone, regardless of circumstance due to the fear of slight risk of X.

a yoga perspective, imo, relies on deep knowledge of the postures, the body (and energy body), and how the body is affected by postures, and in the case of prenatal yoga, how the body and energy body are positively and negatively affected by postures depending upon the individual circumstances of that mother and child. therefore, if the mother truly is at risk for X, then the teacher would avoid things that would cause that, whereas if the mother is truly not at risk for X, and the posture could be helpful to her in another way, the teacher offers the student that posture and they explore it together with care.

so, you might look at my student, due in april, who has been practicing a vigorous form of vinyasa yoga since after her first trimester (she had a lot of exhaustion in first tri--as i did--and so we practiced more gentle forms of yoga), and say that her teacher is not taking care, or that she is not taking care.

but the truth is, i have told her about the primary contraindications of every pose that we commonly do, what it's affect may be on the body, how to modify each posture in a variety of ways, and i watch her to make sure that she is properly aligned in those postures to maintain integrity and safety.

now, she also practiced yoga with me, in this style, for over a year before becoming pregnant, we utilized yoga to help increase her fertility, and i feel confident in both my education/training, her experience, and our relationship.

when i have a new student in class who is pregnant, the class changes a great deal--we take out vinyasa, we take out deep back bends, we take out spinal twists and so on. i see what she can do, how aware she is, and we start a relationship about what she wants out of yoga in regards to her pregnancy and how to achieve that.

so, it's always great care, even if you or mamaste training or whatever would disagree with what i'm doing.
diyyogini
Posted 2008-03-07 12:21 PM (#104531 - in reply to #104078)

I don't see that mentality coming from fear either, and I don't see anything dishonest about it.

Deep backbends, from everything I've read and what I've experienced myself physically are not the most therapeutic poses to be doing while pregnant. If you watch the way a pregnant woman's posture changes during pregnancy she often develops lordosis or sway back, which deep backbends can exaggerate. Instead of continuing to arch the lower back a pregnant woman needs to lengthen her lower back and even round it in poses like Cat. She does, however, need to work on arching in the upper back through chest openers to help negate the kyphosis or upper back rounding which often accompanies the lordosis.

So no, I don't not teach deep backbends in my class just because I'm afraid I'll hurt someone, I don't teach them because I see them aggravating rather than soothing a spinal imbalance that occurs during pregnancy.

Now, I'm not passing judgment on people's personal practice. Many would question my decision to take up cross country skiing while pregnant. We all have to make our own choices.

However, Every teacher has to teach from a place of honesty and if a prenatal teacher honestly believes that inversions, deep twists or deep backbends are not the best pose for prenatal women, based on her training and her self-study, then how is that being fearful. Wouldn't it be more dishonest to teach poses that your training, your own personal physical experience, and your gut instinct tells you are not the best ideas?

There are plenty of things teachers don't teach. I don't teach Kundalini or Bikram because when I'm honest with myself I don't find them the best path for me to teach. It's not because I'm fearful of them, they're just not the practices I truly believe in for myself as a teacher.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)