YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I want to meditate
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Damaged
Posted 2008-02-14 9:22 PM (#103510)
Subject: I want to meditate

Hi everyone! I have been lurking here for a few days. I just took my first yoga class...it was kind of advanced for a beginner so it really wore me out but I felt incredible for the rest of the day. So I am going to take a class for beginners every Sunday, and I ordered a mat and a DVD to practice at home. I also started thinking about meditation. I really think I need to do that. I think a lot of my problems come from the fact that I can never turn my mind off..my attention span is awful and so is my concentration. I think most of this comes from my viral encephalitis, I mean really bad. I was in a coma for 6 weeks and they thought I would die or be a vegetable. I was left with a "damaged" brain hence my screen name!lol I have an awful memory and I am only 29. My brain moves too fast, I sometimes jumble words, have a hard time understanding. I have made a miraculous recovery though and don't want to sound ungrateful. I am not disabled at all, I drive a car have a full time job, have a house and was making straight A's in school and am not on any medication. I just struggle a lot more because of the way my brain works. I want to relax, be centered, release stress and gain more awareness about my true self. I am more than my damaged brain! How would you recommend that I start? It is really hard to make my brain stop...I mean I worry about things that may or may not happen...years from now!lol

Sorry this is so long, I just have quite a story to tell. Any help is appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-14 10:07 PM (#103513 - in reply to #103510)
Subject: RE: I want to meditate

Please see an experienced teacher. I shall PM you also.
Damaged
Posted 2008-02-15 8:15 AM (#103526 - in reply to #103510)

Because of funds being low I a sticking to the free yoga classes at my gym, the books and DVD I ordered and practicing at home. I have done a lot of searching online and have found quite a bit of stuff written about yoga and meditation. I plan to keep looking. I want to take a more peaceful and happy approach to life. I rush through everything to get to the next thing and I am tired. While my brain is damaged, it can still do a lot more than anyone ever expected given the circumstances. I think that I put limitations on myself and that if I were able to truly be aware and know myself not just the brain and body but my spirit I think I could suprise myself with all that I could do.
tourist
Posted 2008-02-15 10:21 AM (#103538 - in reply to #103526)

Expert Yogi

Welcome Deandra - yoga will be very helpful for you, I am sure. The brain is remarkably resilient, as you know and since you are still young, you have a good chance to correct any wiring problems you still have. I noticed your email address on your profile. If you are still in the philly area, I would suggest that you contact our member, zoebird, who can help you locate a good teacher. Maybe even zoebird herself if you are close to her.
Damaged
Posted 2008-02-15 11:00 AM (#103542 - in reply to #103510)

I am still in Philly and I am very excited about getting start ed on this new chapter in my life. I wanna be more intune with my spirit. I know when I was younger after I had come out of the hospital my parents were told not to let me push myself to far cause my brain was still healing. I could only go to school half days and I just stopped if I felt tired. It's like now I am trying to catch up on all that I missed by thinking about 4 and 5 things at once, sometimes worrying myself to headaches. I don't know if my brain is still healing but I don't think I should push it so hard. Physically I am in pretty good shape, I try to work out 4 times a week and I want my mind to be as healthy as my body.
Dreamoftheiris
Posted 2008-02-16 12:32 AM (#103561 - in reply to #103510)

[URL]http://home.att.net/~meditation/MeditationHandbook.html

Check out that site. It has some good tips on meditating.
Damaged
Posted 2008-02-17 9:35 AM (#103615 - in reply to #103561)

I will...I will check out as much as I can. I got a book and have been doing a lot of reading online. Very Excited!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)