YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Torn Hamstring
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Ori
Posted 2008-02-12 3:32 PM (#103331)
Subject: Torn Hamstring

Hi everybody,

...getting up at 6am to practice in a cold room, without a proper warming up and hearing my Iyengar teacher's voice at the back of my head (more more more), and of course not to mention my insensitivity to my body and its limits, I pushed too much and now I have torn hamstrings, both. It has been more than a month now that I don't practice any standing postures, having pain, using the RICE method and well the doctor said that there is nothing she can do.

I believe that I already had scars in the muscles before, according to the symptoms I have heard (painful when sitting for a long time, a little bit of pain just where the legs start off the buttocks etc.), which scares me even more, because i didnt hear the ¨puph¨ sounds everybody is talking about, but rathar just pain.

at the moment, i try to rest as much as i can. whenever im not working (i work part time as an English teacher), i try to lie down. Although, i do practice a bit of sitting Asanas (nothing of forward bends of course).

I was hoping that someone would know more about it, and might be able to give me an advice.

I am very scared that I would have to live with it all my life (because I read in some sport Forums that many people suffer from it over 10 years).

Does anyone have an exprience with such an injury?
Please any idea would be very appricated!!!!

Thanks,
Ori
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Orbilia
Posted 2008-02-13 5:09 AM (#103363 - in reply to #103331)
Subject: RE: Torn Hamstring

I still have some issues with my right hamstring since injuring it two years ago just from using the dustpan and brush! Mainly it that it's a little stiffer than the left one. Gentle stretching has gradually brought back function as has seeing an osteopath and sports therapy masseur. The biggest improvement came from doing a standing forward bend (uttanasana) at the wall under assistance from an advanced level Iyengar teacher though. She alternated pushing my back further down the wall with rolling my sitting bones up and then pinning them into position with her hips.

Fee
Ori
Posted 2008-02-17 6:23 AM (#103613 - in reply to #103331)

to answer some of the questions.. well, i guess I didnt do a proper warm up. Basically, i did the daily program that i was told to do as part of the pre TTC of iyengar, which consist of Uttanasana as the first asana of the practice. so that´s what i did. Only without any intelligence, as my Iyengar teacher hinted me when he heard on my injury.
Tourist, i thought that you could be right about the infection, so im taking now anti inflamers- Ibuprofeno, 3x a day. Will take for about a week, it was advised by my doctor as well.
and well, i guess ill have to see.
But the biggest confusion from my torn hamstring is actually that i don’t know if i want to continue now with the TTC. im thinking that since im such a vata, and do enjoy more fluid or softer yoga...than maybe I need a different sort of yoga. I have never studied with Donna Farhi, but god I love her books. I would have loved to study with her.
But on the other hand, I do believe that Iyengar method it’s the most serious one, especially if you want to continue later on doing therapeutic yoga, isn’t?
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-17 10:02 AM (#103618 - in reply to #103331)

Unless you are totally invalid, the torn hamstrings will automatically start healing and will come to NON TORN mode if you give them rest and take proper nutrition.

TORN HAMSTRING need only one exercise: = Relaxation.

If that is not clear, please visit me for Private Class.

Ori - 2008-02-12 3:32 PM

Hi everybody,

...getting up at 6am to practice in a cold room, without a proper warming up and hearing my Iyengar teacher's voice at the back of my head (more more more), and of course not to mention my insensitivity to my body and its limits, I pushed too much and now I have torn hamstrings, both. It has been more than a month now that I don't practice any standing postures, having pain, using the RICE method and well the doctor said that there is nothing she can do.

I believe that I already had scars in the muscles before, according to the symptoms I have heard (painful when sitting for a long time, a little bit of pain just where the legs start off the buttocks etc.), which scares me even more, because i didnt hear the ¨puph¨ sounds everybody is talking about, but rathar just pain.

at the moment, i try to rest as much as i can. whenever im not working (i work part time as an English teacher), i try to lie down. Although, i do practice a bit of sitting Asanas (nothing of forward bends of course).

I was hoping that someone would know more about it, and might be able to give me an advice.

I am very scared that I would have to live with it all my life (because I read in some sport Forums that many people suffer from it over 10 years).

Does anyone have an exprience with such an injury?
Please any idea would be very appricated!!!!

Thanks,
Ori
hnia
Posted 2008-02-19 2:28 PM (#103729 - in reply to #103331)

I would run away from this teacher fast.

holding uttanasana in a cold room as the 1st posture is a bad way to start class.

You should modify uttanasana, walk and keep moving.

Resting too long will not help.

Let us know,
kittylemeu
Posted 2008-04-02 1:05 AM (#105740 - in reply to #103331)

Hi Ori,

I tore my hamstring last summer. I was sitting in an office all day and went to the gym after work, as usual. I am extremely flexible and just took it for granted that I could go right into a split....my hamstring disagreed. I heard popping noises..stretched a little more..heard more noises...I've never torn a muscle and had no idea what was going on. I felt no pain. but I have a high pain threshold. I went to class. I told my teacher my thigh was numb and he told me to just take it easy. I continued....more popping.

So, I REALLY tore my sh*t up and I still struggle. I obviously handled it poorly, but I took a long time off resting and I am trying very hard not to push it to the extent of my other thigh. But, I get so frustrated. How long will this take. What can I do to help the healing process? I'd love to share information with you. Massage helped me a little with the scar tissue. Hot yoga is also more appreciated than ever.

Let me know if there's anything you've leaned that can help me.

XXX

Kittylemeu

Posted 2008-04-02 12:37 PM (#105758 - in reply to #103331)

When you tear a muscle, you need to continue to move and stretch that muscle as it heals or it will form scar tissue that will be problematic later. The important thing is that you stretch the muscle on a regular basis but stretch it VERY VERY GENTLY so that you don't re-injure it.

If you feel pain, your body is telling you that you are hurting yourself. Don't let your mind become a "control freak" that trashes your body! Treat your body with love and respect. It is who you are as well as where you live. Just like beating your children does not make for happy healthy children, beating up on your body doesn't make a happy healthy body. Listen to your children and love and respect them. Listen to your body and love and respect it.

The body and the mind are NOT opposing forces. Mind cannot conquer the body. Your mind and your body are one and the same. We only perceive them as separate. One cannot exist without the other because they are a single entity. Find harmony within your body, mind and spirit.

Posted 2008-04-02 3:59 PM (#105776 - in reply to #103331)

I have never felt comfortable with teachers of yoga who engage or come close to engaging a process of "pushing". IN boot camp yes. At MIT, sure. At Microsoft, push. But it does not, to me, suit yoga teachings.

That having been said, and risking correction from Nick somewhere down the line, the body takes action into muscle first. The secondary support structure is the connective tissue. When you go beyond the parameters of muscle you move into the domain of tendons and ligaments. This may be why you are feel it near the hamstring attachments proximal to the sitting bones or ishial tuberosities.

As Neel points out, you will heal presuming you allow your body the requisite time in a parasympathetic or resting mode. This is the mode of the nervous system where healing is optimal. Your diet and lifestyle may support (or not) your body's process in this regard.

Thoughts of fear and despair will not be helpful so consider working diligently to shift your thoughts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)