YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi dies
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

jonnie
Posted 2008-02-06 1:35 PM (#102954)
Subject: Maharishi Mahesh Yogi dies

The Maharishi Mahesh Yogi died yesterday.

There is an interesting debate on his legacy on the BBC news website:

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=4230&edition=2&ttl=20080206183141

How important a figure was the Maharishi?

Did he help over-stressed Westerners to relax and connect with a spiritual dimension?

Or was his Transcendental Meditation movement just a way of making plenty of money?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-06 2:31 PM (#102958 - in reply to #102954)
Subject: RE: Maharishi Mahesh Yogi dies

I bow down to Maharshi Mahesh Yogi and pray for this peace. Regardless of his details which all I do not know, I am sure he did lot of positive work.

OM ShanitH
tourist
Posted 2008-02-06 6:34 PM (#102966 - in reply to #102958)

Expert Yogi

I for one probably started to be interested in yoga because the Beatles popularized it. Hey, I was 14! So I owe a great deal of gratitude to Maharishi. *Bows down in memory* I also took TM training several years before I started Iyengar yoga classes. Though I no longer practice it, I feel it was an important step for me toward yoga again.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-06 7:56 PM (#102970 - in reply to #102966)

Expert Yogi

Oh Tourist,

That sounds like my Bikram experience, I'm touched

I wonder what the catalog that I receive from time to time, with all their goodies for sale will look like. Do you think they'll mention his passing?? I just wonder. I just found out not too long ago that Osho has been died for quite some time now. He's a myspace friend of mine and posts these beautiful blogs...I thought he was still alive...my bad,

Okay, Om Shanti Shanti Shanti may Maharishi Mahesh rest in peace and thanks for enlightening the Beatles and bringing Yoga to the minds of the Western world...God knows we needed it.
jonnie
Posted 2008-02-07 12:11 AM (#102978 - in reply to #102954)

Yes, I began with TM as well. I think the technique is very good.

I should point out that those three questions in my orginal post were not my thoughts. They are the intro which accompanies the link.

I don't want to appear like I am being disrespectful.

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-07 6:46 AM (#102989 - in reply to #102978)

Dear Brother Jonnie: That was quite clear. Nobody should think you made up them. Actually, I am thankful for your giving the news to us. Now a days I am in a NewsLess environment. I watched Inconvinient Truth last night and amazed at HOW xxxx AMERICANS ARE. Sorry to say this, I love them, but they are xxxx.

jonnie - 2008-02-07 12:11 AM

Yes, I began with TM as well. I think the technique is very good.

I should point out that those three questions in my orginal post were not my thoughts. They are the intro which accompanies the link.

I don't want to appear like I am being disrespectful.

Jonathon

Edited by kulkarnn 2008-02-07 6:47 AM
jonnie
Posted 2008-02-07 7:19 AM (#102991 - in reply to #102989)

Thank you Neel. I know you understand me well, though I wanted to be clear.

The Inconvinient Truth is a very thought provoking and powerful film. It amazes me how people can still choose to ignore it's message. Not just in the States, but the world over. Per capita, Dubai is one of the most wasteful countries on the planet.

Jonathon
Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-07 8:53 AM (#102998 - in reply to #102991)

Expert Yogi

NB,

Now that you have seen "An Inconvenient Truth"....you should also watch CNN's documentary that Anderson Cooper and Sanja Gutpta (and some other guy) did called "Planet in Peril". It was very responsible journalism and very well done.

These movies should not be an attack on Americans. It's a wake up call for ALL of us. These little governments in other parts of the world are also to blame for their greed, corruption and lack of human rights. Every one is responsible for our situation.

Don't even get me started on these big corporations that left America to go overseas to pollute Asia, because they were cheap and didn't want to follow the "responsible" environmental laws that were put in place. No, instead they went to Asia where they could get away with anything they wanted...now, look who's paying the price. I can't wait till they go under and out of business.

Edited by Cyndi 2008-02-07 9:00 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-07 9:16 AM (#103002 - in reply to #102991)

I feel ashamed when I learn that people in Haiti are eating bread made of soil due to lack of food, while other countries are throwing food. OM ShantiH.

jonnie - 2008-02-07 7:19 AM

Thank you Neel. I know you understand me well, though I wanted to be clear.

The Inconvinient Truth is a very thought provoking and powerful film. It amazes me how people can still choose to ignore it's message. Not just in the States, but the world over. Per capita, Dubai is one of the most wasteful countries on the planet.

Jonathon
jonnie
Posted 2008-02-07 9:34 AM (#103003 - in reply to #102954)

I spent three months in Haiti and saw poverty there worse than I saw in India or Africa.

What was really incredible were the mountains (and I mean mountains!!!) of American house hold rubbish that is shipped over there to be 'stored'.

Unfortunately, like many other societies, the rich in Haiti are very rich and the poor are very very poor.

Jonathon
SCThornley
Posted 2008-02-07 8:28 PM (#103080 - in reply to #102954)

This is from my buddy Joe.
Joe is my first and best teacher.

"It started off with the Beatles before I was even born, and then for 3 decades, trickled into so many other areas of cultural influence: his own university, his own political party, cardiology treatment protocols, quantum theory contributions, contributions to the medical literature, millions in government grants to study complementary medicine, inspiration to countless artists and entertainers; and the foundations for things like the PhD program in Positive Psychology at U of Penn, the Global Consciousness Project at Princeton, and to some degree, the most recent yoga boom - and that's just in the United States. The list goes on.

One could even say he left an impression on the Universe. Given that there are billions of suns in the universe, NASA hedges its bet on the possibility of other life out there. The day before Maharishi died, they beamed the aliens a song the Beatles wrote during their time with Maharishi, Across the Universe. In a few light years when the aliens Google the chorus "Jai Guru Deva", they will learn the line refers to paying gratitude to their guru Maharishi. Now that's an impression.

But then there's another side to his legacy, most notably financial, sex, death scandals. And collaterally - treatment centers and counseling practices built on treating ex-members of his movement.

He leaves behind a confusing impact on myself, the family of a friend that committed suicide over this, the world, and the universe.

Here's an obit or two:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/06/world/asia/06maharishi-1.html?ex=1202878800&en=1cc645f1b32d9253&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7229597.stm

Some insider stuff:
http://tmfree.blogspot.com/

A photo I took of his Ashram when I was in Rishikesh last year - cursing and paying homage at the same time.
http://flickr.com/photos/bonobojoe/380590619/"

Edited by SCThornley 2008-02-07 8:31 PM
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-02-08 9:30 AM (#103103 - in reply to #102954)

This is totally unrelated, just wanted to say hi to Steve, and how you doing? It's been a while, hope everything goes well with you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)