YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm back
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2008-01-24 9:45 AM (#102372)
Subject: I'm back

Expert Yogi

Bonjourno,

Italy is so wonderful! I really miss being there. However, I did bring me this little expresso maker pot home and some Italia cafe....it's very nice. I'm hooked on Cafe Machiato's.

Michele, my brother-in-law taught me how to make traditional Italian Lasagna...Oh my god, it is soo good. That's what's for dinner tomorrow evening along with a nice bottle of Vino.

Anyway, Italy was sooo much fun. I have so many things to say but am so overwhelmed right now. My body has no idea what time it is. It was very difficult to come back home, because I really love the Italian culture (it's the best!!) and my relatives. The entire trip was totally cool. Sometimes it was very intense with me and my husband and the fact that I know nothing about Hindu culture and the daughter-in-law role....which I think most of it is BS. However, Thank God my MIL is the most perfect Brahmin that walks the planet. She told my husband that there was no way that I should have to learn this culture and that I only needed to know the important things. She's so modern and incredible!!! She stood by me and supported me through the entire ordeal. It'll be interesting in the future to see how my relationship with them and my husband develops. One things for sure, I'm definitely an all American Country Girl and proud of it dammit!! Seriously, I wish that Americans would take some lessons from Italians and Europeans in general. It would be the perfect world I think!

Back to important stuff....the bathroom situation....and those toilet sinks.....and I just adore those radiant heaters, they are so awesome. You can wash your underwear (or in my case, get it wet from the toilet sink, heehee - I need lots of practice with that one!! I just don't understand why you just can't jump in the shower and wash your butt) and it will dry in a matter of a few minutes...those were really cool! I'm looking into finding these for my home, and I want the gas type, not the electric ones.

Most Italians are very eco-friendly. That was favorite part. The olive oil is incredible and my skin has never looked better. I managed to bring home a couple of bottles of the really really fresh light green, thick oil for eating straight from the bottle. I so wish I had a resource for this type of Olio in the states...Zoebird?? Are you reading this???

Well, this is my report for now. I have lots of things to tell and I have some cool photos of Orvieto, Baschi and Guardea where we stayed. Orvieto is the most incredible place and it's so old and historical. If you ever go to Italy, this is a must place to visit. Orvieto is an old underground city and the people are so cool.

Ciao - Ciao,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2008-01-24 9:54 AM (#102374 - in reply to #102372)
Subject: RE: I'm back

Hi Cyndi,

Welcome back. I've been away for a while as well.

Italy is a beautiful country. I knew you would love it.

Jonathon
tourist
Posted 2008-01-24 10:02 AM (#102376 - in reply to #102374)

Expert Yogi

Welcome back Cyndi and Jonnie! Cyndi, you sound so much like my DD after her Italy trip. It certainly seems to be a country to fall in love with. Did you have any Vin Santo? It is a lovely sort of raisin wine that reminds me of sherry that you sip from tiny glasses. We are just about at the bottom of the bottle she brought back for us.

Posted 2008-01-24 10:03 AM (#102378 - in reply to #102372)

welcome back.

yes, i love european culture a great deal. it's why i'm always on about denmark.

we use bionature and spectrum extra virgin olive oils. they're green. well, both eco friendly and green-colored.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-01-24 10:24 AM (#102379 - in reply to #102376)

Expert Yogi

No, I didn't have the Vin Santo....but I did bring back a bottle of Grappa. It's 42%, and it comes from the bottom of the barrel. It's some wicked stuff to add to your cafe lattes`, heehee

Jonnie, its good to see you too! Yes, you were totally right. I am planning another trip soon. Although, Europe is very expensive and my poor US dollars, Italy is definitely a special place. I especially like the witches festival. (there are lots of witches in the region I was staying in). It's mainly for the children. They went around spraying the town with Silly String and Confetti. It was so much fun. Ya'll know how much I love Halloween here in the states, so you can imagine how much fun this was for me! There was some sort of festival at least once a week going on.

ZB, I know those Olio's you mentioned....it's not the same...trust me. Did you know that Olio is considered a fruit?? I've heard things such as the reason we can't get this oil here in America is because of the process and the way it is NOT refined - go figure right? I guess it'll be worth the $100 shipping fee to mail 6 bottles over a few times a year. My skin sure does love this and I do believe it has helped with my digestion and elimination system as well. I feel lighter and my stomach feels cleaner. It's hard to describe, but its really some good stuff. I ate it every day on panini, pasta and ensalada.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-01-24 10:43 AM (#102384 - in reply to #102379)

Sounds like an emigrant in the making to me :-)

Read Extra Virgin by Annie Hawes and then you'll really be home sick for Italy.

If you haven't already got an on-line photo album, use Picassa (you'll then also be able to link to mine), it's great.

We want to hear ALLLLLLL when you've run off the jet lag.

Didn't follow the family stuff so I want all the gossip there too

Psst! Olives ARE a fruit

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2008-01-24 10:44 AM

Posted 2008-01-24 10:52 AM (#102385 - in reply to #102372)

in philadelphia, we have a great italian market. imported olive oils from italy--the really good, traditional kinds--typically cost $100/bottle or more.

since i use a lot of oil, it's out of my price range, so i go with what i can afford.

my friend who is a multi-millionaire did a tasting party of oils in his home. he had oils from italy, spain, greece, north africa, and turkey (i think). my favorite was a greek oil made from the furit of trees that were over 1,000 years old.

it cost $400 per bottle.

yes, exceptional oil--but beyond my price range.
Butterfly71
Posted 2008-01-24 1:54 PM (#102388 - in reply to #102372)

Where in Italy did you go? My father is Sicilian and we spent last spring break in the eastern coast of Sicily...it was incredible! We also bought some olive oil that I wish we would have bought a case because I can not find anything comparable to it here.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-01-25 1:00 PM (#102439 - in reply to #102384)

Expert Yogi

Orbilia - 2008-01-24 10:43 AM

Sounds like an emigrant in the making to me :-)

If you haven't already got an on-line photo album, use Picassa (you'll then also be able to link to mine), it's great.

I need some serious help with this. I'm clueless Fee

We want to hear ALLLLLLL when you've run off the jet lag.

Didn't follow the family stuff so I want all the gossip there too

OMG, I'm afraid I failed in the Hindu Daughter-in-law department. I guess the old saying, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is somewhat true. At this point of my life, I keep asking myself...do I really need this, is it worth it?? I felt totally, totally abused mentally. I honestly felt like I was in a torture chamber...the only thing that saved me was the food and the Vino...and my long walks with my sweet, pure Mother-in-law. I'll fill you in on details later, I'm still traumatized by that part it.

Psst! Olives ARE a fruit

I tried eating one off the tree, it was pretty nasty...not like the kinds that came out of the jar! wonder why??

Okay, here's some photo's for you guys.

(Cyndi in Baschi.jpg)

(Cyndi in the Olive Garden.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cyndi in Baschi.jpg (73KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments Cyndi in the Olive Garden.jpg (76KB - 40 downloads)
Cyndi
Posted 2008-01-25 1:27 PM (#102443 - in reply to #102439)
Subject: For BruceBhai

Expert Yogi

I tried to find you and you were NOT at home BB!!!

(Via S. Antonio.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Via S. Antonio.jpg (82KB - 49 downloads)

Posted 2008-01-25 2:10 PM (#102448 - in reply to #102372)

Glad you're home safe lady--did you lift the marker up to see if I was under it?

Cyndi
Posted 2008-01-25 2:43 PM (#102452 - in reply to #102448)

Expert Yogi

Of course I did...silly,
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-25 11:34 PM (#102477 - in reply to #102372)

Cyndi- the Southern girl in you is too cute to be the perfect Hindu daughter-in-law! I'm of the mind that you need to be exactly who you are! I really enjoyed your company while you were here! I'm with your Mother in law on this one!

I'm glad you had a good time! I know what you mean about the olive oil- my uncle used to press his own before he passed away. He had a large barrel of it in his cellar that he'd ladle out- it was soooo amazing! I've, to this day, never had anything like it!

Oh yeah, olives off the tree are NASTY!! Sooo bitter! I tried curing my own from fresh olives once- I realized that the expense and pain in the a$$ to make my own was not worth the $5 jars at the grocery store! The store bought ones tasted SOOOOOo much better. And took a lot less time than the 2 weeks it took to cure my olives.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-01-26 7:54 AM (#102481 - in reply to #102372)

I'm glad to hear it went well, and you enjoyed it. How could you not, those pictures are beautiful. Oops, and I know nothing about olives, except that those trees look kind of like gnarly little apple trees. Do they flower, and if so, do bees flock to them?
Orbilia
Posted 2008-01-28 5:59 AM (#102524 - in reply to #102481)

Useful url for Picasa :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picasa
http://picasa.google.com/

You can either install the whole thing on your PC or simply use the cut-down version via the internet. I think you may need a Google e-mail account to use it as Google's tools are all integrated. If so, drop me an e-mail and I'll send you an invite memo.

Olive trees are usually quite knarly as many are literally hundreds of years old in Italy. The photos above really remind me of my own trip a couple of year's ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Orbilia/InSabinaMarch2006

Try to ignore the pics of me as these are from before I lost weight, bah!

The question is, of course, did you get your bottom pinched?

I've just realised that you're in the same state as another pal of mine. I met Zelda through a chat site for the Korat cat. I met her when she was in Alpine, CA. She's now in Lexington, NC. I wonder if it's feasible to meet up with you as well when I go visit Zelda. I haven't anything planned yet as Egypt comes first in March but, funds permitting, I'm thinking maybe next Autumn.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2008-01-28 6:06 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2008-01-28 9:07 PM (#102566 - in reply to #102524)

Expert Yogi

Yes, I know Lexington. It's only 5 hours away. I'd love to meet up, that would be very cool Fee.

No, didn't get my bottom pinched, but...I saw some real hotties. Italian men are soo sweet. I love how they treat women, it was so refreshing and nice to see that.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-01-29 5:39 AM (#102579 - in reply to #102566)

That's great :-)

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2008-01-30 2:10 PM (#102685 - in reply to #102579)

Expert Yogi

You know Fee, what would really bee cool is for you guys to meet me in Asheville, NC. It's only 2 hours from Lexington. Then there is Salisbury, NC that's pretty interesting too, next door to Lexington. Just don't try to sleep in that town...those friggin trains will wake you up before the crack of dawn, Then there is Charlotte, NC....which is not my favorite city - at all. You will enjoy Asheville much better. I can take you to the Biltmore Estate, or the Blue Ridge Parkway is always fun. We can drink wine and have a picnic on top of Mt. Mitchell...shhh (don't mention the wine to anyone though, ), the park rangers are funny about wine...can't imagine why??!
Orbilia
Posted 2008-01-31 5:40 AM (#102714 - in reply to #102685)

Cyndi, Zelda mentioned Asheville as the main mountain town and finding a meet halfway between you and her is a good idea. I think you would like Zel a lot....... she's fond of the odd glass of vino too :-)

I'm used to the trains. I have a railway embankment at the bottom of my street. They move slowly so the trains themselves aren't too noisy. It's the freakin' train washers that can get on your nerves in the summer (when the windows are open) as the trains bleep when reversing. God alone knows why they're fitted with a reversal warning.... if you don't hear a train heading toward you, you're not any more likely to hear the ***** bleep!

Zel's just e-mailed to ask what town you're in?

Would you like me to introduce the two of you in e-space (i.e. swop e-mail addresses)?

Zel's recently taken the chair of a cat rescue organisation and shares her home with three Korats, hubby, and has an assortment of feral/homeless cats who visit her porch for shelter/food.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2008-01-31 5:46 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2008-01-31 7:49 AM (#102715 - in reply to #102714)

Zel's just asked me if you're near Brasstown?

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)