YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need objective opinion
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2008-01-08 8:52 AM (#101653)
Subject: Need objective opinion

Expert Yogi

OK, this is going to seem shallow but it's about my hair. My hair is such a part of who I am and it shouldn't be.
I've had my hair long for 18 years. Lately, because of teaching and the wt, I have been wearing my hair either in a ponytail, braids or a bun. It's rare I wear it down. It is always in my face.
I started the process lat week. I cut my hair. Not a lot to the naked eye. The girl layered my whole head (great cut actually) and it feels so light. But I think I want the top more layered.
Tomorrow I go in to finish it. It takes me forever to get my hair done. 2 hours for a haircut.....that's crazy. So it'll will probably be about 4 hours tomorrow.
I want to go dark with some random highlights. I want the coloring and layering on the crown of my head to be more like the first picture. I might even go darker thatn the base color here.
I went dark about 3 years ago. That only lasted for about 2 months. I loved it but everyone, and I mean everyone including my parents didn't like it. My sons hated it.
This is when I was dark (second pic)
I'm really nervous and excited about the change. It is reflective of my attitudes and life experience. It's time for anew.
I know my students will need time to adjust.
OK, what's your opinions? Please be completely honest. Even you Gordon because you met me.
Sorry, had trouble loasing pics.
1. me with dark hair ( hub took this pic of me)
2. what my hair is cut like now
3. I want my length but would like to frame more around my face like the third cut, plus I love the coloring. Want just a few chunks of lighter hair.
The last time everyone was so negative. I'm going to embrace it. But I am a bit nervous.

Edited by mishoga 2008-01-08 9:03 AM

(1a (2).jpg)

(Layered-Straight-PIP_03.jpg)

(new doo 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1a (2).jpg (16KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments Layered-Straight-PIP_03.jpg (33KB - 45 downloads)
Attachments new doo 2.JPG (30KB - 51 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mishoga
Posted 2008-01-08 9:35 AM (#101657 - in reply to #101653)
Subject: RE: Need objective opinion

Expert Yogi

This is what my hair has been like for 18 years. That's a long time.
Time for change!!!
I want to know what you think.
If you think I suck, then say
"Mish, I think you suck!"
Zoe, you went through a transformation not that long ago. How was it for you?

(me&Rodney.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments me&Rodney.JPG (26KB - 52 downloads)
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-08 10:05 AM (#101658 - in reply to #101653)

Unfortunately, this question is addressed to ladies. Otherwise, I shall request BBB's personal opinion.
tourist
Posted 2008-01-08 10:06 AM (#101659 - in reply to #101657)

Expert Yogi

Mish - the great thing about hair is that it keeps growing and you can always change it. Going lighter is almost always a good choice (except for extreme light - bleach blonde) for women shall we say, over 35? Darker is too harsh and ends up making you look older. As far as cut, shorter almost always is better too, as too much length draws the eye downward and gravity is already doing that for us! Which is why you typically notice really fabulous, elegant looking older women have short hair or wear it up all the time.

I really feel that women who have the exact hair cut and clothing style as they have had since high school (and have never changed - some do go back to something like their old style simply because it suited them) are either emotionally "stuck" somehow or have a very outdated self image. I saw a woman the other day with full 80's clothing (shoulder pads, pleated pants with tight ankles) and the bangs "pouf". She was clearly over 50 and it was clearly not a case of money or whatever. I am not a slave to the up-to-the-minute fashion, but when certain things are well over 20 years in the past, we really do have to move on!

Anyway, my advice is to go ahead and cut and colour and have fun. It is just hair and you can always change it. Your stylist will be happy to have great hair to play with, too!
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-08 10:06 AM (#101660 - in reply to #101653)

Hey Mish- Here are my thoughts...

1. I think maybe slightly darker- not as dark as you went the first time. That looked a little too dark for me- too dark and you lose some of your sparkle- I made that mistake myself before. But maybe to a light brown (honey/caramel brown- think Tyra Banks or Beyonce's hair color).

2. I like the long layered look- but if you are feeling adventurous, the short cut is really cute too! Just remember that with a cut that short, you won't be able to put it back at all for class- so you are talking headbands and barrettes- because the long pieces will still fall into your face.

3. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the chunky highlights.. I like the more natural look of the highlight/lowlight combo. But again, that's a personal preference thing. Some people LOVE them and look great in them. I think they look better on teenagers myself...

Also, talk to your stylist if you trust him/her.... I love mine and went in prepared to cut my hair to my shoulders- mine is just almost as long as yours and I suffer from the "always in a bun/ponytail" syndrome. I was going to donate my hair to locks for love. Anyway, I went in and told him what I wanted him to do--- but also said DON'T do it if in your honest opinion you can't give me a short haircut that will look good on my face. He ultimately refused- saying that it was for selfish reasons because he liked my hair too much and it was too nice to cut short (awwww- how sweet! ) But, he also said he was worried about making it look good without me having to do a lot to it. I'm a wash and wear kinda gal. I have fine hair- just LOTS of it.

There is a website called hairstyler.com.. where you pay for a 3 month membership. In it, you can load a picture of yourself and then "try on" 1000s of different hairdos and haircolors. It's like $15 to sign up.. it was worth it for me!

Good luck and post a picture when you have your look!
mishoga
Posted 2008-01-08 10:12 AM (#101662 - in reply to #101653)

Expert Yogi

This question is adressed to all here.
I ask because I have been so attached to my hair. That is not good. I guess my Buddhist studies are influencing my decision for detachment and change.
Everyone loves my hair. I do too but I have to simplify. I don't know why I need to do this but I do. I just hope it's accepted. I want to transition slowly to natural. I don't like manicures and pedicures much anymore. I am even minmal in makeup.
New year, every day is new, every breath is pure...........what is truly important?
I will follow the calling!
Either way I'm doing it.
I'm really digging that last pic with the chunks but I would never go that short. I want that cut with long hair. My hair right now is cut like the second pic. That was huge enough for me. I'm quite surprised I want more off.

Edited by mishoga 2008-01-08 10:18 AM
tourist
Posted 2008-01-08 10:23 AM (#101665 - in reply to #101662)

Expert Yogi

Mish - don't worry too much about it being accepted by others. If it is really the wrong way to go, like the dark apparently was, then you can change it later. Generally, I hear a lot of women worrying about how the man/men in their lives won't like shorter hair and honestly, most men do not care nearly as much about it as they make out. They don't like CHANGE as a rule and they want YOU to stay they way they have you slotted into their lives. But if you look and feel great, they will adapt very quickly. Honestly, if your hair is up in a ponytail or bun all the time, they are seeing the equivalent of extremely short hair, right? They might need time to adjust, and that is fair enough. When Mr. Tourist got rid of his mustache years ago it took me about a week to get used to it. I actually thought there was a stranger in the house a few times! But it was the right move and I am sorry I objected to the change previously.

Post your photos and we'll tell you how great you look!

Posted 2008-01-08 10:53 AM (#101669 - in reply to #101653)

truly, if you like it, and you like yourself, then others will like it and you.

my nose piercings never hold me back. there are times when i realize that other folks (older folks in particular) might have a strange reaction to them, but i forget that they're there, you know? and well, i start being myself and talking (say we're in a long line at the grocery store) and they brighten right up and smile and it's very cool. i know that at first they're thinking "oh my goodness, this strange (and some people think "angry") girl!" but then i'm just me and everything is totally cool.

anyway, about hair.

first, i really like that third picture. it's a really fun, funky hair style. i like the second one too--it's very pretty and sophisticated, but not as "funky" as the third picture.

i think that you could easily "pull off" the third picture, no problem. No one has to like it except you, and you can tell them that. If they are negative, you just keep your positive "i really love it!"

when i got my locks, everyone was totally accepting. i was just SO happy to have them. I was glowing and excited and I knew it was what i wanted.

people couldn't help but accept them.

it was harder when i got them cut off. i was disappointed, i wasn't sure i liked the new style (guess, what, i just got my hair cut to match what my hair looked like in october, which you can see in the autumn retreat pictures on my web site). turns out, i really like it this way--it's cute, fun, easy, and it looks sophisticated too. . .it suits me.

so, i'm happy--everyone is happy.

so, if you really like that third picture (and i think it's a really great cut/color), then get that and be happy.

and i know about things taking forever. 5 hours to get locks in, 6 hours to get them out!

Posted 2008-01-08 11:22 AM (#101671 - in reply to #101653)

Mish, your female comrades have given you some lovely responses...you scared Beloved Brother Neel

I have a dear local friend who, being an actress and dancer, thought her hair defined her and that she was also too attached to it. When she became a yoga teacher she shaved her head. I met her initially in this state and only knew her that way--and I loved her. Her young daughter (with lovely blond curls like you) recently asked her mother to grow her hair back. And she did. Know what? I still love her and so does everybody else. I think you did/will look amazing in whatever head 'o hair you decide on. It's just an adjustable frame for that lovely face and beautiful essense. OK, gotta go, need a haircut.

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-08 11:40 AM (#101672 - in reply to #101653)

Dear Beloved Sister Mish: Thanks for giving me a chance to speak. In my opinion: Your hair is most beautiful and so are you. Your hair is divine and your first pictures on this post are a divine gift from God to you. There is nothing to prove that you are attached to it. You shall be attached to it only if when you get older and the hair turns grey you feel bad about it. Or, you feel bad when you get hair loss. Then, it shall be attachment.

But, while you already have such a beautiful hair, to purposely cut it will be ONLY stupidity. If a person has a beautiful things given to them by nature such as your beautiful hair and also appearance, Elizabeth Taylor's beautiful face, Buddha's calm and serene appearance, a musician's beautiful voice or music, they are NOT supposed to Tarnish or Damage it in the name of Detachment. That will be only a violent action.

The great Gautam Buddha shall never advise any such a thing. I can guarantee you.

Any gift given to you should be used for your own good and that of the society. Therefore, you should look beautiful and also encourage your yoga students to do the same. And, let your family including your husband, who is my brother in law, enjoy that beauty.

Only when you satisfy all above, you shall automatically feel detached to your beauty without having to cut hair and such stupid act. Later, your mind will be peaceful from such unnecessary thoughts such as that of hair, and clothes, etc. And, you can meditate peacefully, while still having a beautiful hair.

Peace

Posted 2008-01-08 4:49 PM (#101686 - in reply to #101653)

I like that second picture. I like more subtle highlights than the third picture usually, but you should do what you like! It's just hair it grows. Just remember that all the layers can be a pain, they're pretty when your hair is down but if you do want to pull it out of the way you could have all sorts of bits and pieces to deal with. Maybe the person cutting your hair can take that into account.

I've gotta do something. I used to have really long hair but I've had a short curly thing for years now. Kind of sick of it and my hair doesn't seem to like it anymore either. Maybe you'll inspire me to do something about it already.
tourist
Posted 2008-01-08 9:34 PM (#101704 - in reply to #101653)

Expert Yogi

karmann - yes, I should say too dark is the issue, not darkness itself. Nothing sadder than a 60 year old with blue/black hair and white roots.... And yes, a great colorist is a joy forever. My last hairdresser was not an amazing cutter, but her colours were so amazing. And my current one is just as good. I rarely hear "nice colour" but often get "did you just get your hair cut?" or "you look great!"
mishoga
Posted 2008-01-09 5:51 AM (#101711 - in reply to #101653)

Expert Yogi

Karman, I had trouble loading the pics in the order I meant to.
That frist pic of me with dark hair was from 3 years ago. Only lasted 2 months (or so) because everyone hated it. Funny thing is, I am that dark naturally but have had blond streaks most of my adult life that no one realizes it's my true color, including my children. My little guy hated me with dark hair and told me so everytime he looked at me.
The second pic is how my hair is cut now (not that coloring)
The third, love the coloring and the style. I want to trim my crown to look similar to that but keep the length of the second pic. Actually my length is a little longer than the second pic.
I'm going at 10:00 a.m. today. If I have time between having my hair done and my class tonight I will post a pic otherwise I'll post it in the morn. Wish me luck. This is major for me.
BTW, not one student said a word to me about my cut. That's about 125 students. I'm wondering if that means they don't like it already. Oh well.............
I've got to be me!

Edited by mishoga 2008-01-09 5:53 AM
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-01-09 7:03 AM (#101716 - in reply to #101653)

I would love to get in with that Nick guy on What Not to Wear. He does amazing work, and makes sure the client can handle the hairdo before they leave. Usually it's a much simpler do than they had in the first place. That would be fun to trust someone, and say just do what you think is best. I don't see that happening to me though.

My experience with hair people has been they want it to go a certain way. Like curling my hair. My hair doesn't curl, and my head is too big for all that anyway. Somehow it makes me look like George Washington with the big curly wig on. It's not a good look for me, and I've been staying away from hair people. Until the Nick guy becomes available that is.

Mish, I think you looked totally beautiful and striking with dark hair. I think you look beautiful as you are. If you shave it, I'm sure you'll still be beautiful. You should choose which pleases you the most, and if you're pressed for time, take into account how much styling the do takes. Is your hair naturally curly? Straightening must take quite a while with a lot of hair like yours. You could pick a style that you can wear curly also, when you don't want to spend that much time. Have fun, it will grow back anyway, Shelly

Edited by bstqltmkr 2008-01-09 7:06 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-09 10:03 AM (#101721 - in reply to #101653)

I am sorry that I understood the Hair Story not exactly. I thought the original pictures were all Mishyoga's ones. Anyway, I still want to give my message about 'detachment from hair' as I already stated.

Posted 2008-01-09 10:35 AM (#101724 - in reply to #101721)

BBN, I heed your hair advice always as, juding by your pictures, you are expert in "detachment from hair." 

Posted 2008-01-09 12:21 PM (#101729 - in reply to #101653)

What's the question? LOL

Really? What hair style you should have? What hair style do you want? I personally never study with a teacher who has more hair than I do, much to Neel's joy I am sure.

Please do not confuse a haircut with as much concern as you have for it as some transformational leap off the bungie bridge. It's a haircut. A four hour one, yes, but a hair cut none the less. If there are lessons of attachment tied to it for you then it IS an opportunity for processing but then it matters all the less whether it is actually cut or left alone.

It sounds traumatic for you.
It would be good to check in with hubby and sons if those are views you are likely to consider. I would not give us or your students a voice in your hair because YOU have to wear it. I personally cut my hair when I feel like it. Some don't like it and some do and others don't care. But it's my waste product not theirs.

"Cutting hair is less about perfection and more about connection!"

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-09 12:40 PM (#101730 - in reply to #101729)

I love that. And, "Growing Hair does not bring any attachment if one is really spiritual".

purnayoga - 2008-01-09 12:21 PM

"Cutting hair is less about perfection and more about connection!"

Posted 2008-01-09 1:53 PM (#101734 - in reply to #101653)

I'm not sure if you'd listen to me; the newbie at this forum but I've got an opinion too, and I guess my opinon is objective (that's what you want, right?).
First of all; it's your hair and you should do what ever YOU want to do. I'm tired of my long hair and asked my boyfriend if he would mind if I cut it short, he didn't like the idea just because he is used to my hair long (I'll keep it long until February, and then I'll cut it off!). What you do to your hair is your business, if you look good you will also feel good (a simple trick I learned from my psychologist when I suffered from depression).
Second; I love the second picture, the third one too, actually; but I like highlights of the second pic much better than the third. The nice thing about having a haircut is that you can tell the stylist which length you want, than you can try a mix of the two
Third; Have fun!!! There is no better thing to do in life than enjoy!
Fourth; will you post a pic when it is all done? I think that quite a few of us reading this forum would like to see the result...
Good luck!
mishoga
Posted 2008-01-09 2:39 PM (#101735 - in reply to #101653)

Expert Yogi

here it is. Hopefully I can upload these pics.
I know this might not seem different but it is much more than the picture shows. Already my oldest son told me he likes it the other way
I'm such a chicken. Next time I'm going to cut some more length off.
ML, let's see it!!!!

Edited by mishoga 2008-01-09 2:41 PM

(haircut1.JPG)

(haircut2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments haircut1.JPG (19KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments haircut2.JPG (17KB - 35 downloads)

Posted 2008-01-09 2:44 PM (#101736 - in reply to #101653)

I think Stacy & Clinton would say, "Only wear bib overalls if you're slopping the hogs." I love that "What Not to Wear Show." I've submitted every yogini I know--no joy so far.
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-09 2:50 PM (#101737 - in reply to #101653)

Mish! I love it! I think it's a huge change and looks great! You don't seem swallowed up by your hair- as can happen with long, thick hair. I'm actually leaving for my appt now.

Bruce- SUBMIT ME! SUBMIT ME!! I think the people that fight to keep their crappy wardrobes when they get $5000 to get new ones are just silly. I'd be the best person on that show ever! I'd be like, here, take it all! Whoohooo!! I've been telling my staff for years to nominate me!!
mishoga
Posted 2008-01-09 2:55 PM (#101738 - in reply to #101653)

Expert Yogi

Youngest son just walked in from school and looked at me and said "What's up with your hair?"
He said he doesn't like it. Same thing happened last time My Boys are funny!

Bruce, you making fun of my overalls. Those are a staple in my wardrobe, especially when I'm feeling a bit plump, like after the holidays

Edited by mishoga 2008-01-09 3:18 PM

Posted 2008-01-09 3:30 PM (#101740 - in reply to #101738)

I know what you mean Mish--I have my first post-Christmas modeling gig next Thursday and I'm on a severe diet & tanning regiment. In your case though, I think, like your hair, it's the attachment to that weight that won't let it go

And Stacy & Clinton are fashion yogis, they won't let you get away with feeling fat, "You must except how you are at the time and dress to highlight that fabulous figure."

Butterfly71
Posted 2008-01-09 3:51 PM (#101742 - in reply to #101653)

It looks lovely! I am the other extreme. There was a time that I would change hair color non stop (red, blonde, black, brown) then I would grow it and then cut it and then change it. My son is so attached that he cried the last time I cut my hair, but I hope that I help to teach him impermance and that "mommy" is there no matter what I look like.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)