YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Baby Update..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

Chilly_Breeze55
Posted 2008-01-29 5:09 PM (#102638 - in reply to #102594)
Subject: RE: Baby Update..

joscmt - 2008-01-29 7:02 AM

They should come with many warning stickers!! One across the butt that says "caution: spontaneous combustion!"

I fell off my chair laughing!!!!
true...so very true lol

Congrats on a beautiful baby!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-29 5:18 PM (#102639 - in reply to #101300)

we had one of those at my folks' house! The poop was EVERYWHERE- up her back, on her onesie, her sleeper, her shoulder... made it's way to her arm by the time I got the onesie off! It was all over the place! Thank heavens my bro and SIL live down the street- they were over at the time and just had a new baby girl as well. We sent my bro to go get a borrowed outfit from her new cousin!

It's amazing what come out of them!

Well, her appt went ok. She isn't gaining like they want her to... despite our feeding schedule...

so, I have a new game plan from the doc- 15 min only per boob (so she learns to suck productively), no stretches longer than 4 hours (which she only does at night, so I'll have to wake her in the middle of the night), and to take better care of myself..... meaning that I need to keep up my food intake so I can make the milk she needs. Overnight, I'll find myself going from 11pm- 1pm the next day without eating anything. No bueno... so my husband is going to help me in this dept. I just get so caught up with her that I'm not hungry during that time.. but 14 hr is way too long to go without food. I've been keeping my fluids up.. just not doing real great on the food.
For a few days, they also want me to replace 2 breast feedings with formula- I know, not ideal- but doc said it may only have to be for 3-4 days. I've been having to give her one already because she cluster feeds at night sometimes for 6 hours--- that's a lot on the boobies

So, for my own sanity, I do give her a bottle during this time. So, bottle #1 is supposed to happen at the beginning of the cluster feeding.... and #2 either the middle of the night feed or sometime during the day. .

We have another appt on Fir for a weigh in- at least she isn't showing any "failure to thrive" symptoms and she's in the 90% for weight and 75% for height
tourist
Posted 2008-01-29 7:35 PM (#102646 - in reply to #102639)

Expert Yogi

This is me, freaking out! Time limiting is a slippery slope. Yes, there are good reasons to time limit because some babies just want to stay latched on forever and that exhausts mom. BUT time limiting may very likely cause her not to get hind milk which is what you need to get the fat into her. For some moms and babies, actually going to one breast per feed is a better option, especially if they have a lot of milk, as they need to drain that breast really well to get to the hind milk. Frankly, if she is pooping that much, I am sure she'll be fine.

But yes, you do need to eat. Not so much to make milk (starving mothers make milk) but to keep your energy up so you don't wear yourself out making milk. Never sit down to nurse without a snack and a drink.

OK - I'll stop now......I think...
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-29 7:42 PM (#102647 - in reply to #101300)

no, Glenda, don't stop! I love the helpful info. FWIW, my boobs are soft after the 15 min. (or at least they have been today) Ruby seems to have been a little more productive on these last two feedings. We'll see how the night wears on!
tourist
Posted 2008-01-30 10:10 AM (#102668 - in reply to #102647)

Expert Yogi

Ach - I was so busy freaking out, I forgot to give you the info I meant to leave you with. Now, THAT's helpful...

Here is my suggestion - go ahead with the 15 min on side one, then let her linger on side two. Not for hours, but long enough so you both have a feeling you weren't rushed. One of the most important things to remember about breastfeeding is that it is a relationship, not just a feeding method. Bottles are like drive thru - it works, but there is no real connection between you and your server. In fine dining (hey, I picked the right analogy for you, didn't I? ) you have some relationship with your server and there is a conversation back and forth between you. So it isn't just a difference in the delivery method, it is a qualitative difference - like between "mcyoga" or gym yoga and a long term relationship with an authentic teacher.

The softness is only one indicator that the breast is not really "full." In fact, over time, that full feeling goes away completely and over an extended time (a year or two), even the larger breast size can disappear even if you are still nursing regularly. It is a bit weird, actually.

This is making me miss my La Leche League friends! They were such a great group of women!

A place for more info: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html

Posted 2008-01-30 10:35 AM (#102674 - in reply to #101300)

also, there is this lact-aid thingy. it's a pouch in which one can put formula or pumped milk, or a combo, and it has a thin tube that attaches down to the nipple, so that as she's breastfeeding, she's getting both. it's cool if bottles are working for you, but this might be an alternative if you want it.

also, do you have a LLL meeting near you? there's one very near me that meets twice a month. it's free. i havent' started going yet (it's just not the right time), but i'm glad to know that they're there so that they can help out.

and no worries, you're doing really well. it can take time to figure this stuff out (for her and for you!).
Cyndi
Posted 2008-01-30 2:22 PM (#102686 - in reply to #102674)

Expert Yogi

I always liked the idea of pumping your own breast milk into a bottle. It will keep in the fridge..not sure how long though. I don't understand why they want you to use forumula. What's the deal with that???

I'm so happy that I had a older pediatrician....we eventually had my son on Goat's milk. It was the only thing that he could tolerate. It was a God send, because he had such a hard time back then with so few choices and was 4-weeks premature. If only I could go back in time with the knowledge I have today...and the confidence too!

Oh yea, my SIL breast fed Arial. While we were in Italy I was with her quite a bit. It was so refreshing to be around her...it was such a natural thing and there was no covering up or being worried about anything. I remembered the thread we once had about breastfeeding here on the forum. I just chuckled alot,

Posted 2008-01-30 2:41 PM (#102688 - in reply to #101300)

mostly because formula is controlled.

and, you can freeze breastmilk and it keeps pretty much indefinitely.

Posted 2008-01-30 6:46 PM (#102695 - in reply to #101300)

ok, i think i'm confused. i wa thinking about those numbers. . .

if she's in the 90th percentile for weight, and 75 for height--she's above average in both, right? and why would that lead to concern on the part of docs/etc?

i'm just curious. because if she's in the top 10% of babies (greatest weight), then what is the concern?
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-30 7:33 PM (#102698 - in reply to #101300)

They said the formula will stick to her ribs more. Also, I am pumping for those two feedings I am replacing-- but more to help keep up my milk supply and to help build it as well. Breast milk will keep in the fridge up to 8 days and like zb said, in the freezer indefinitely.

zb- I think it's just a mile marker they like to hit- as in baby needs to be back at birth weight within 2 weeks. Once they told me the percentages, I meant to ask what the big deal was- so I think I'm going to ask on Friday. Seems to me, if she is in the 90% for weight then she's eating when she wants to and it good in size.. but I don't know. So I'm going to ask when I'm there.

Things have been MUCH better yesterday and today though, so I think we have turned a corner.

Cyndi- I'm still not comfy whippin' the boobies out in public... and I've tried a cover, but we aren't that coordinated yet- so for now, we are just going out in between feeds. Which at her age, is plenty of time out and about. We'll see how things go as I get better at this whole breast feeding thing!
tourist
Posted 2008-01-30 8:23 PM (#102703 - in reply to #102698)

Expert Yogi

Formula sticks to the gut more, which sometimes slows digestion enough for the baby to feel full longer. But seriously, breast milk is 100% the best. Every molecule of non human protein is a chance for an allergy to get going.

The pumps now are wonderful! So nice and easy to use. If you have electric you can feed on one side and pump on the other which speeds the process up a ton. That does take a bit of practice, though, like feeding in public. There is public and there is *public* - family and close friends are public enough for a month or so

Make sure the docs are looking at the new growth charts based on breastfed babies:
http://www.who.int/nutrition/media_page/en/index.html
They are down near the bottom of the page.
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-30 8:31 PM (#102705 - in reply to #101300)

The plan is (hopefully) after her appt on Fri to eliminate the formula- it was also an effort to try to get her to stop cluster feeding so she could eat on a more normal schedule... and, knock on wood, she didn't cluster last night...
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-01-31 7:56 AM (#102716 - in reply to #101300)

This is yucky:

http://tiny.cc/NQHH5

I remember how much it hurt when my nephew knocked me in the head with a glass baby bottle, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Posted 2008-01-31 1:09 PM (#102741 - in reply to #101300)

that's cool. i'm glad that it's working out well.

i think that she's probably well within normal and fine. and it sounds to me like you're doing quite well.
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-01-31 7:00 PM (#102758 - in reply to #102674)

zoebird - 2008-01-30 10:35 AM also, do you have a LLL meeting near you? there's one very near me that meets twice a month. it's free. i havent' started going yet (it's just not the right time), but i'm glad to know that they're there so that they can help out.

Have I missed some news here??

OrangeMat
Posted 2008-01-31 7:10 PM (#102759 - in reply to #102698)

joscmt - 2008-01-30 7:33 PM  I'm still not comfy whippin' the boobies out in public... and I've tried a cover, but we aren't that coordinated yet- so for now, we are just going out in between feeds. Which at her age, is plenty of time out and about. We'll see how things go as I get better at this whole breast feeding thing!

One of the smartest things that someone said to me about breastfeeding, as well as motherhood in general, is that while it's a natural thing, it doesn't always come to all of us so naturally.

I remember feeling so landlocked at home with my son, who I nursed exclusively for 6 months, before introducing solids (including the cereal mixed with breast milk, "frozen dinners" as we called them). I was nursing every three hours, and a feeding itself would take close to an hour, so there really wasn't much time in between to get out. Best day in the world came when I finally ventured out to a LLL meeting, knowing no one there aside from my 3 month old, and discovered the art (and freedom) of discreet public feedings.

With my daughter, I ventured out of the house much sooner. Feedings for her were every two hours, because the doctor said she wasn't gaining enough. Doctor's orders were to feed her every three hours 'round the clock. Uh uh, no way was I going to wake a baby at 2am who was sleeping 5-6 hours at a shot on her own already at 6 weeks. So I did every two hours, which she was glad to have, and bedtime was bedtime for all.

Enjoy your baby and trust your own intuition on these things. Like I said, it's a natural thing, just that it doesn't always come so naturally.

tourist
Posted 2008-01-31 7:32 PM (#102762 - in reply to #102758)

Expert Yogi

OM - you are soooo out of the loop! zoebird is pregnant!
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-01-31 7:50 PM (#102764 - in reply to #102762)

ZB is expecting?? Woohoo! That is so great!! Thanks for looping me back in, tourist. (oh and while you're at it fixing things for me, could you take care of that double post? thanks so much!)

Zoe, congratulations!! Enjoy every moment of this new adventure, as I'm sure you will... and I don't just mean the pregnancy. Feel good, and stay you.

Aaaaah, NOW I understand why you said something about grapefruit.

tourist
Posted 2008-02-01 10:23 AM (#102797 - in reply to #102764)

Expert Yogi

New babies make us feel very isolated in our culture. While I firmly believe in a "babymoon" phase where mom and baby cocoon and don't go out and about much, this works much better when there is a community of women to support them. Finding an LLL group helps create that little community. As a former leader, I can attest to the wisdom and helpfulness of these groups. Of course, in spite of their best intentions, there are a few leaders and not a few members who are a bit on the lllunatic fringe and many, many who seem really "out there" to those not comfortable with what we used to politely call "alternate lifestyles." Particularly out here on the the wild western frontier. But if you can find a group you like and ignore anything that goes strongly against your beliefs, they are a resource to be reckoned with and a real joy - a lifeline to the "real world" during that period when the world feels a bit unreal.
joscmt
Posted 2008-02-01 11:54 PM (#102829 - in reply to #101300)

we do have LLL meetings around here. I was thinking about checking one out. Getting places by a certain time, right now, is proving to be a challenge! Hahahaha!! We are having a good time just being together in the house and getting to know each other. We have made progress in leaps and bounds in the BF dept.! It no longer hurts or stings! Yippee! We have a consistent latch... AND............... at her doc's appt today...........she weighed in at 10lbs 2oz!! Up from 9lbs7oz on Tuesday!! So we get to try dropping one bottle and see how she does.

OM- I love what you had to say! Thanks!

I'm really believing in the babymoon as well. We just snuggle and cuddle together. Well, that's until the G-ma's step in and take her. But they need to have their time too!! And I'm happy to share her.
tourist
Posted 2008-02-02 10:05 AM (#102836 - in reply to #102829)

Expert Yogi

ML - take a good look at Ruby - that is how big my first was at birth. A family at work (both parents over 6 feet tall) just had a 12 lb baby the other day!
joscmt
Posted 2008-02-02 10:38 AM (#102839 - in reply to #101300)

Glenda- And I thought Ruby was big at birth!! And a 12lb baby!! That gets a double

There was a 12lb vaginal birth baby at the hospital where my niece was born. Said it was the biggest baby they had had in awhile.

Posted 2008-02-04 2:04 PM (#102890 - in reply to #101300)

i'm so glad that her weight is up and that she's doing so well and that your nursing relationship is going well.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)