YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Baby Update..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2007-12-31 6:14 PM (#101300)
Subject: Baby Update..

So, I went to the doc today for my 39 week appt. thinking he'd say "Any day now!".. instead, this is what I got:
1. Baby is huge! He checked my size.. and said, "Hmmm.. is it just me or is this a big baby?" I said, "well, 2 weeks ago they estimated her to be 7lbs already..so she's probably big" and after he palpated my belly a bit, he said- "wow, she's really big" <-- must've been the 'roids I was put on in the hospital back in Oct.

2. He checked her position- she is head down (good thing), but sunny-side up (not so great a thing- but not awful in the grand scheme of things)- basically, she's facing forward instead of backward....which is probably why, in my other post where I said she is planning on punching her way out through my bellybutton, it's not to far from the truth- she is punching me in the gut. Basically, she is smack-dab in the middle, head-down, all four limbs facing forward.

3. Then he checked to see if she was moving into place- Nope! Not a chance. He said "not even close". She hasn't even begun to engage yet. Which he said he didn't know if that was because she just wasn't ready OR if she is, in fact, too big to engage <-- which this is to be decided at a later date. My Mom's pelvis was too small for a baby to come through....so we'll see.

So, they are going to look again next week and see what's going on...if she goes over an estimated 10lbs- they would likely consider a c-section. But one thing I like about these docs, is that even though they are an OB office, they like to intervene as little as possible. They'd like to avoid induction or a c-section if possible. Today, he said that if they even TRIED an induction at this point, I'd end up with a c-section... so, no chance. He also said that barring the size issue, if nothing had changed by next week, then tough luck.. we'd have to go on to the following week. Which, is, of course, when my SIL is having a c-section (at a totally different hospital).... I said I'd like to avoid that date if possible just to make things easier on my family- my parents want to be at both births!

Anyhoo- that's where we stand yoga friends... No New Year's baby for us!

Edited by joscmt 2007-12-31 6:15 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ollie
Posted 2007-12-31 11:23 PM (#101305 - in reply to #101300)
Subject: RE: Baby Update..

sweet; she isn't born yet and already practicing ashtanga!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-01-01 9:45 AM (#101309 - in reply to #101300)

Thanks for the update, keep on taking good care of yourself. We can wait.

Posted 2008-01-01 10:35 AM (#101312 - in reply to #101300)

most weight estimates are well off, so be mindful if they give that as a reason for induction or section. similarly, babies can change position while in labor, and during the birth, and so even though she's sunny-side up now, it doesn't mean that she will be during labor or the birth. and, one can birth sunny-side up naturally, vaginally.

good luck with all of it. you're getting very close!
tourist
Posted 2008-01-01 12:11 PM (#101319 - in reply to #101312)

Expert Yogi

Ditto to what zb says. Also, sunny side up is not the end of the world, as you say. It usually means back labour but that gives dad a chance to work on his back massage techniques And remember, though there are definite family tendencies, you are not your mother. Unless you are one of those people who is practically a clone physically (I met a mom/daughter team like that last night!) your experience will not be exactly like hers. In fact, for individual women, each birth is often nothing at all like their other births (BTDT - mine were totally different in almost every way. Back labour for both though... ). So let this little person enter the world with her own story and don't burden her too much with family history yet. Plenty of time for her to gather that baggage after she is born.

Thanks for starting this thread. We expect at least daily updates!
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-01 10:54 PM (#101344 - in reply to #101300)

Oh, I know the baby can still turn... I'm doing my pelvic tilts as recommended by spinningbabies.com. ZB- FWIW, the particular OB I'm seeing doesn't like to intervene unnecessarily.. he'd rather me wait it out and see what happens. He doesn't believe in planned c-sections or inductions- unless I go past a certain point.
As for the size- the u/s can be off by 30%.. but with someone who is good palpating, they are a pretty good judge at size- not necessarily weight.. but length and size. My OB spent his training years in a poor village in Argentina and learned his trade without fancy equipment. It's actually pretty cool.
I'm also sending happy thoughts to the baby to flip over... I hope she will!

Tourist- don't worry- no family baggage here!!

All in all... I just want her here safe and sound- however it may be!! I do trust my group of docs completely. Well, there is one midwife I don't care for. Oddly enough, she's the only one who makes me feel like I'm in a baby factory! Interesting, no? The doctors are awesome and caring and another midwife is great... I just don't like this particular one.. oh well.. I'll keep you all posted!

Posted 2008-01-02 10:05 AM (#101360 - in reply to #101300)

personality conflicts happen, you know? hopefully, she won't be involved with you.

just out of curiousity, how long does the doctor feel is "too long?" and how long do you feel is "too long?"

Posted 2008-01-02 10:18 AM (#101362 - in reply to #101300)

If she's real big, maybe she can be a movie starĀ in Ghostbusters II (will I be in trouble for this?):

(stay_puft_marshmallow_man75.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments stay_puft_marshmallow_man75.jpg (7KB - 56 downloads)

Posted 2008-01-02 10:33 AM (#101365 - in reply to #101300)

that's what i feel like right now, due to stress-induced gas.

pranayama and meditation is helping, but i feel very puffed.
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-02 11:29 PM (#101402 - in reply to #101300)

Bruce- that's about right!! A little less on the thighs.. a little more in the belly!! And ankles.... LOL!!! A lady stopped me in the store and asked me if I was carrying twins!!
I think because I am so far along and haven't dropped one little bit.

zb- The docs don't really go past 41.5 weeks. I don't really have a time frame. I just want her to be healthy. I learned today that her fluid levels are really good as is her movement and heart tones. So, we are just going to continues to reassess each visit.
I went in today because I had A LOT less movement last night and today. So, I had a non-stress test and a peek with the ultrasound. She's back to whaling on me tonight though...it's so much more comforting when she's moving like nuts.

I've just, in the last few days, started feeling less comfortable- socks are a challenge.... but really, to just be feeling this way at 39.5 weeks isn't such a bad thing! I've known people to feel a lot worse a lot earlier. So far, it's really been great!

I'll have to post a pic for you all!! To see my "Mama Belly"
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-03 12:13 AM (#101403 - in reply to #101300)

Ok... don't pay too much attention to the super tired face... it's midnight and I've been out all day.

(me 39.5wks.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments me 39.5wks.JPG (44KB - 57 downloads)
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-01-03 8:47 AM (#101411 - in reply to #101300)

Wow, I remember being that big for my girl born in Feb. I didn't even need to wear a winter coat that year, my baby was keeping me so warm. Maybe you don't really need socks either? I'd probably stick to loafers.

Posted 2008-01-03 10:09 AM (#101420 - in reply to #101300)

other than looking sleepy, you look good. and yeah, she is riding high still.

i'm glad that your doctors go to 41.5 weeks. most cut off at 40, and many first-timers go at 41. according to the stats anyway.

and when is the new/full moon this month anyway?
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-03 10:18 AM (#101422 - in reply to #101300)

Oh, the next full moon isn't until what would be 44 weeks or something.. I already scoped that one out.. Don't think they'd let me go that far!!

Shelley- inside the house, I've stuck to my slippers and that same black nightgown- it's nice not having something restrictive around my waist all the time. Those maternity pants can get to you after awhile! As for the sock thing, I have a hard time doing shoes without socks unless they are sandals and flip flops.. BUT, I do have two pairs of slip on shoes (wool clogs and suede clogs) that are at least easy shoes to get on!!

I got a pedicure yesterday to pamper my dogs a little and the guy that did the pedicure was so sweet and put my socks and shoes on for me! It was a BIG help!! And hey, if I have to go another 2 weeks, I may be rethinking my whole shoe/sock thing!!!

The tricky little trick is that my SIL is having her c-section (she didn't want to try for VBAC) at my 41 week marker. At a different local hospital. My parents want to be there for both... so I'm hoping that it won't be the same day! I know my brother will want to come to the hospital for me as well..... which he won't be able to do if he is tending his own little girl's birth!! We'll see what the stars have in store for us!!

Posted 2008-01-03 10:36 AM (#101423 - in reply to #101300)

i think that's why people talk about "barefoot and pregnant!"

probably just easier than doing shoes.

my mother did these platform, high-heeled sandals because they were the only things that fit. how funny is that?
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-03 2:26 PM (#101437 - in reply to #101300)

zb- exactly!!! Especially on those days where your ankles swell larger than your calves- MmmmMmmm.... soo sexy!!!
Although, I have to say that I'm grateful that it is not August.... because this little one does turn me into a bit of a heater!!

Posted 2008-01-03 3:14 PM (#101440 - in reply to #101300)

that's what my one friend told me too. LOL

she teaches prenatal yoga, and she teaches at this hot yoga studio. they wanted to offer a class that was "gently heated," and it took a lot of work on her part to convince them to not heat it at all.

besides, the fact that heat can be problematic for some women who are not already acclimated (i think it's safe for women who are acclimated, if they want to do it), apparently you just get hot as things carry on.

whew!
tourist
Posted 2008-01-03 7:25 PM (#101458 - in reply to #101440)

Expert Yogi

"cankles" (calf/ankle combo) - I remember them well As someone who had an early September baby, the upside is that you can go swimming to cool off and you don't need all the extra outer wear. I could not imagine a coat big enough to go around me with that child! I also was asked if I was having twins on a fairly regular basis. When he was born and we found out he was 10 lbs, 1 1/2 oz. I realised that he really could have been twins - and good sized ones at that!

New moon is Tuesday. Let's go for that one!
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-07 9:54 PM (#101634 - in reply to #101300)

Well, we went to the doc's today... no change. Still high, no signs of me goin' into labor at this point. So, off to another week! I had a moment to be bummed out about it- because really I have felt alright up until the last couple of days. But these last two have been tough. Lots of pain in my sacro-iliac area... cramping... braxton-hicks contractions, etc... not to mention the carpal tunnel that has left the fingers in my right hand numb almost all the time.. and most of the time in my left hand.
Oh well, *****, moan, *****, moan.... after I did all of that, I realized that it's good for her to stay in there and "cook" for as long as she needs to. (Or at least until they induce me or realize that she's not planning on coming out on her own) As of right now, my induction date is set for next Tuesday- which, incidentally, is the same day my sister-in-law is having her c-section... Lots o' babies!!
mishoga
Posted 2008-01-08 6:00 AM (#101640 - in reply to #101300)

Expert Yogi

Are you nesting yet?
I can't believe you came to give a update. I was just coming on here to ask how you're doing. I have been gone for awhile, just at the point you announced you were pregnant and here I am back and it's about to happen any moment. I wish you all love and light. I can't wait to see the first pictures of your baby.
I know you have discussed this here but I haven't read all threads. Do you know what you're having? Do you have a namepicked out yet?
tourist
Posted 2008-01-08 10:13 AM (#101663 - in reply to #101634)

Expert Yogi

ML - the discomfort is a good sign. Things could be happening. I remember telling someone I was so uncomfortable with the weight and the BH contractions etc., I really didn't want to be waiting much longer. A few hours later I was timing contractions If your breathing seems to suddenly get easier, that means she has dropped and general discomfort may mean she is turning. Hang in there and enjoy the last days of being pregnant and special. Very soon most of the attention will be on the baby
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-08 10:23 AM (#101664 - in reply to #101300)

Mish- we are having a girl! And we have some names picked out... but we aren't tellin' until after she's born. We want to meet her first.

Tourist- I'm hoping some things are going on. I'm just takin' it easy, going for walks, doing my pelvic tilts.. and hope that she makes her appearance before the induction. Until then, I'm going to go to some movies, read some books, maybe a few baths, etc until she decides to come into the world. I'm feeling better today.. both physically and emotionally..

Heck, I may call my hairstylist and see if I can get in this week! Last week he was booked, and I didn't want to book anything for sure a week in advance... but maybe I'll treat myself. Last week, I went and got a pregnancy massage.. that was nice!
mishoga
Posted 2008-01-08 10:47 AM (#101668 - in reply to #101300)

Expert Yogi

ML- are you nesting? Do you know what nesting is? We all get it right before. Just as your ready to colapse and relax, WAHMMY! Either the water breaks or/and contractions start. I'm not talking about false alarms.
I am the crapiest speller and typer. Sorry for those that become irritated about this.

Edited by mishoga 2008-01-08 10:48 AM

Posted 2008-01-08 11:03 AM (#101670 - in reply to #101300)

sex often naturally induces, so if you're up for it, i say go for it.

otherwise, good luck with all of it. with prodomal labor (b/h contractions), the body is preparing.
joscmt
Posted 2008-01-08 8:02 PM (#101697 - in reply to #101300)

Mish- oh yeah! I've been nesting like crazy- although, I started awhile ago.. It's driving my husband a little bit crazy! Good news is that all the closets are cleaned out, all the laundry is done, things are cleaned out and clean! Except, it did dawn on me that I need to change our sheets- so I might wash my quilt and blanket as well!

ZB- yeah... we've been on that bandwagon..not all the time, because logistics are interesting LOL.. and, uh, unfortunately, pregnancy hasn't been the big libido enhancer that I heard about!! I think my sex drive went on vacation and, without getting too graphic, took my body's ability to do it with it! But I told my husband that we'd need to get it on this week!!

Oh yeah, and Mish, I did get that hair appt for tomorrow! My stylist, who is usually booked, had an appt open up for tomorrow!!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)