YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what yoga for pragnancy
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

anuj
Posted 2007-12-25 12:42 PM (#101072)
Subject: what yoga for pragnancy

hi all,
which postures are good for a eight months pragment lady. Is there any special program?
What kind of yoga is best suitable?

om......
anuj
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-25 3:20 PM (#101073 - in reply to #101072)
Subject: RE: what yoga for pragnancy

best yoga for 8 months pregnant: do simple meditation, eat moderately but high qualiy food, live happy times, go for walks, read good books, etc. take yoga exercise with experienced yoga teacher.

anuj - 2007-12-25 12:42 PM

hi all,
which postures are good for a eight months pragment lady. Is there any special program?
What kind of yoga is best suitable?

om......
anuj
anuj
Posted 2007-12-26 7:10 AM (#101081 - in reply to #101072)

can u plz suggest me name of some useful postures ans pranayama?

OM.....
Anuj
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-26 8:35 AM (#101082 - in reply to #101081)

Dear Anuj: When I teach or suggest postures, I have to know that person quite a bit. Therefore, I can not suggest online. But, in general, I shall suggest you simple deep breathing which is not strenuous in any way (I would not like to call it Pranayama. Because Pranayam has nothing to do with Pregnancy.), Vajrasana within your limit, suptakonasana, etc.

anuj - 2007-12-26 7:10 AM

can u plz suggest me name of some useful postures ans pranayama?

OM.....
Anuj
tourist
Posted 2007-12-26 10:42 AM (#101085 - in reply to #101082)

Expert Yogi

anuj - Patricia Walden and Linda Sparrowe's book, The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health, has lovely sequences for pregnancy. Some poses, like baddha konasana and supta baddha konasana are almost universally recommended, however I also hesitate to give a program without knowing the student better. I have had pregnant students who do extremely well with things like virabhadrasana III (with MUCH support) and others for whom that would be totally inappropriate. Even students I know very, very well, I monitor carefully during class, particularly late in the 3rd trimester.

Posted 2007-12-26 1:04 PM (#101098 - in reply to #101072)

The eighth month of pregnancy is a tough time to introduce one's self to yoga.
It can be done and it can have benefit but it is a bit "late in the game", if you will.

In the third trimester the basic premise is to prepare the mother for birthing. This means opening rather than containment. To randomly suggest poses (other than what Neel has outlined) would not do mother and baby any justice at all.
Please consider prenatal classes with a qualified teacher.
anuj
Posted 2007-12-27 3:44 AM (#101135 - in reply to #101072)

thanks a lot
OM........
anuj
diyyogini
Posted 2008-01-11 11:56 AM (#101839 - in reply to #101135)

I would add (as someone who is pregnant and teaching a prenatal class) that every pregnancy is different, and it's important to ask your doctor/midwife what specifically you should avoid.

Here's my general avoidance list: full inversions, deep backbends, breath retention, anything lying on our bellies, lying on our backs, deep twists, anything that compresses the abdomen, and any jumping or jarring movements.

But again, your doctor may rule out warrior 2 (virabhadrasana 2) for example because of weakness in the pelvic floor.

Posted 2008-01-12 5:33 AM (#101870 - in reply to #101072)

You haven't left her much LOL.

I am curious, is weakness in the pelvic floor an issue at 32 weeks?

Edited by purnayoga 2008-01-12 5:34 AM
diyyogini
Posted 2008-01-12 1:24 PM (#101876 - in reply to #101870)

purnayoga - 2008-01-12 5:33 AM

You haven't left her much LOL.

I am curious, is weakness in the pelvic floor an issue at 32 weeks?

Not at all, there's still plank (with knees on the floor as an option), chair (utkatasana), triangle (trikonasana), down dog, extended angle, warrior 2, janu sirsasana, tree, dancer (modified to not extend deeply into the backbend and having a wall to use for balance), squats, baddha konasana, modified crescent moon/lunges with the back knee on the floor, gentle seated twists, and more. You can even do chatturanga, but usually with the knees on the floor.

At 32 weeks, yes, pelvic floor stability is usually an issue, which is remedied by simply having students practice with a chair supporting the inner thighs, just like in a seniors class. However, pelvic floor issues can crop up much earlier for some women, or if they are carrying multiple babies.

This is why students MUST speak with their primary care giver about their unique needs throughout the pregnancy. We as yoga instructors are not qualified to do pelvic exams, so it's our job to ask them each week about any new instructions from the doctor/midwife.

Posted 2008-01-13 10:57 AM (#101904 - in reply to #101072)

i always design based on my experience, the experience of the woman in front of me, and my knowledge/experience of yoga.

that's it. no specific contraindications or asking for doctor's opinions. just her experience and my experience combined.

never had a problem, in fact, i've helped women solve problems that their doctors said could not be solved. go figure.
diyyogini
Posted 2008-01-14 10:41 AM (#101953 - in reply to #101072)

With respect zoebird, none of us can just look at a person and know if they are having high blood pressure issues, but knowing that means you will modify some poses for them. So the doctor's guidelines are very much valuable input.

For someone who has been practicing yoga for years and used to listening to their body, I agree that they along with an experienced teacher will know best. However, pregnancy often represents the first time in a woman's life that they start to truly take care of themselves. For example, in my current prenatal series, half of the women had never taken yoga before, but their doctor strongly recommended that they do so. So for them, without years of yoga experience and knowing how the body feels in various poses, we do have to take the input from the person most qualified to diagnose conditions such as gestational diabetes or pre-eclampsia.

Posted 2008-01-14 11:05 AM (#101954 - in reply to #101072)

typically, a medical diagnosis is part of a woman's experience.

i also recognize that many women are new to any sort of movement and particularly new to yoga while pregnant.

i generally have a problem with the idea that pregnancy is a "medical condition" that requires constant monitoring, and simply instead feel that pregnancy is a generally healthy condition that brings about healthy, and usually very specific, changes in the persons body.

understanding those changes and how yoga postures can positively and negatively impact those changes, understanding a person's basic level of health and fitness, and discovering what is accessable to them in regards to yoga pose. . .is the basis of any of my instruction of any person--pregnant or otherwise.

Edited by zoebird 2008-01-14 11:23 AM
diyyogini
Posted 2008-01-14 12:22 PM (#101959 - in reply to #101954)

zoebird - 2008-01-14 11:05 AM

i generally have a problem with the idea that pregnancy is a "medical condition" that requires constant monitoring, and simply instead feel that pregnancy is a generally healthy condition that brings about healthy, and usually very specific, changes in the persons body.

I agree. The view of child birth in the US especially during the 1950's was chilling - breast milk bad, drug the woman up, make her lie in bed, etc.

However, it is important of us as yoga teachers to recognize the limits of our advice and to realize that we are only part of a wellness solution for a pregnant woman (and there's a lot we do not know because we lack the training and the diagnostic equipment) and we need to respect what a midwife or doctor recommends to the woman, along with her own intuition and judgment.

Posted 2008-01-14 12:36 PM (#101962 - in reply to #101072)

while it is important to understand one's limits, it is also important to understand one's talents and abilities.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-18 8:51 AM (#208705 - in reply to #101072)

Regular

During pregnancy, you want to stay in shape and do what is best for your baby-to-be. Prenatal yoga is a wonderful way to do both. Whether you are new to yoga or already an experienced practitioner, you can enjoy the benefits of yoga while pregnant
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)