YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Warm wooly hats
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-22 10:20 AM (#101033)
Subject: Warm wooly hats

I was trying to write one day, and the power shut out on me. Then I rewrote, and duh, the power went out on me again. I'm going on and on, but if anyone is interested, things are quiet so I thought I'd post this.

So, here I am again, trying to share the story I’ve lost twice already. Okay, new chance, new attempt, new strategy. This time I‘m opening a file first. It was a story about how I was slacking off in the quilting department, and went on to create hats. Hats are a necessity here this time of year, so I felt no guilt in playing with hats. Okay, I was, and still am, feeling occasional twinges of guilt. Those quilts do have deadlines, and I do actually have a hat already. But still….

I had one I started last year, which never felt finished or comfortable. I found some yarn scraps and started playing. I ended up crocheting flowers with it. So, I sewed these on to the unfinished hat. Then, I found green felt from a sweater washed by mistake. Great mistake to make by the way, wool felt has so many possibilities. More possibilities than any sweater ever had. I cut leaves from the felt, and sewed these on too. Now I have a garden hat out of wool, I look kind of crazy in it, but it’s warm and cozy now. What more can you ask from a hat?

A lot apparently. The next day was a new day, and with it a new hat theory. I’m thinking I’m more sophisticated than crazy hat woman, and I need options. I need something black, but not somber. I found a nice thick piece of black wool I’ve been saving for just such an emergency. I found a good pattern I could work with, yes, the perfect black hat was well on it’s way. I cut and I sewed. I tried on. Too basic, the hat needed more character. I cut a band and sewed that. Okay, that’s better, but still not quite. Topstitching, yes, better. Ah, the perfect black beads, wonderful, I sewed these on, and on. The hat was perfect. Except all the sewing of the beads pulled the hat in a bit, now it’s just too snug. Maybe it will work out, if I force it on my head for a while, I can stretch it back out. This was how I was thinking at the time, but I didn’t, and it didn’t. I set it aside for later.

Then my sister came for a visit. “What have you been up to?, she asked. “Well, not too much,” I answered, “I’ve been playing around making hats.”

“I see that!”, she said, making a beeline for the black hat. “This is just the kind of hat I’m always looking for!….This is perfect! ….Oh, it even fits perfectly!” And it did. “It’s for you,” I said, “take it.”

And she did.

And so I needed a black hat again. Once again, I was thinking differently. I always do better with knit hats. I have a big head, so I think I need a bit of softness there. Hats with hard lines always end up making me look mean. That’s not what I want. I had no black yarn, but I still had that bag full of shrunken wool sweaters I’m calling felt. I went searching through there and I found treasure. Many treasures actually, but one thing at a time. I found a part of a black sweater that had been nicely felted. I had little more than a sleeve, and I wondered if I had enough. I cut it into about half inch strips, by eyeball, so I say about. Here and there it’s thinner or wider, because I eyeballed it, but it makes things softer and more whimsical, and so it’s a good thing. I had some black crochet thread, so I started crocheting the strips together, around and around like a soft basket for my head. It came out pretty cool, but it kept bunching up on top of my head. My sister called it a beehive. I think it was still a work in progress, because now I find myself back to work on it. I picked up a skein of yarn for my own little Christmas present, along with some sterling silver earring hooks so I can make myself earrings, but that of course is another story. Back to the yarn, I bought new merino wool with the intention of felting it. I’m crocheting loose rings of merino wool yarn in between the sweater felted strips. When I’m done, I’ll offer the hat up to the hat gods, and throw it into the washing machine. Hopefully the crocheting is done loosely enough that the hat will fit just right when I’m finished. If not, it’s back to hat making, and we’ll see who ends up with the other. I hope it’s for me, I really like it. I’ll keep you posted.

And don't worry Neel, I'm back to quilting. Shelly
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-12-22 10:53 AM (#101037 - in reply to #101033)
Subject: RE: Warm wooly hats

Expert Yogi

Great story shelly! This is one of the great benefits of knowing how to sew, crochet etc. i have been spending time on the Pattern Review message boards as I have been sewing a lot more since making DD's wedding dress and the folks there are really keen on felting and self made patterns. Making the hat first and felting after the fact is a giant leap of faith. I hope the hat gods are good to you! Oh - and we need to see photos of the crazy lady hat, for sure
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-23 8:04 AM (#101046 - in reply to #101033)
Subject: RE: Warm wooly hats

Making a wedding dress must be the ultimate confidence builder! The hat went through the wash with flying colors (even though it's black), and happily it's mine. My daughter even said it's the best hat I've made yet. Not sure if that's a good thing. Sorry our digital camera isn't working, if I can get pictures later, I'll be sure to do that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)