YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Swasthya Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-20 8:10 AM (#100972)
Subject: Swasthya Yoga

Dear Ale: There is NO Such a Thing as Swasthya Yoga or Another Yoga or Hot Yoga. Yoga is Yoga and it is a vast topic covering many things. You need to know a) what exactly you wish to learn in Yoga. b) Find place which teaches that thing. c) Then you need to know what you want to teach and why. d) Then find a place that teaches how to teach that thing you want to teach. e) If you are doing it for getting a specific number of teaching classes, specific expected income, etc., then you should find the possible places to teach where you are likely to teach. And, directly ask those places or research them to find what certification, what name, what style, they shall like you to have for such a job.

But, mind well, the world is dynamic, and the previously hot stock may not be that hot today.

Also, what previously satisfied you financially or socially may not later because of the contents.

Therefore, a) if you have good amount of money to spend, do not worry take whatever course, and then change later b) if you have limited money, but unlimited expectation (sorry for the joke), then meet actual experienced teachers around you and see what is going on. Do not assume. If you are in Virginia, definitely meet me. I shall meet you with 10 other teachers and give you a good picture without fees.

I wish you all the best. Swasthya in Sanskrit means = Well Being.

ALE - 2007-12-20 7:35 AM

Hi!
I've just registered 'cause I really hope someone could help me in finding an answer.
In January 2008 I'm planning to start a course in London to become a swasthya yoga instructor. The course should last approx 1 year & it's going to be a 1 2 1 type of course with a dedicated yoga teacher.
Everything sounds good but yesterday a friend of mine, who teaches a different type of yoga, warned me I have to make sure that swasthya yoga is an internationally recognized & registered type of yoga otherwise I will not be able to teach once I finish the course.
I've been searching for an answer or a list of yoga types that are recognized but I had no joy...does anybody know if swasthya yoga is internationally recognized & where in the world it can be taught?
Many thanks for your time & attention,
Ale
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ALE
Posted 2007-12-20 9:30 AM (#100975 - in reply to #100972)
Subject: RE: Swasthya Yoga

Thanks kulkarnn!
I wish i would be able to meet you in Virginia...
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to spend 'cause I also have to mantain myself in London!
Mainly because of the financial side, I was wondering if this investment for my future life will be good for me...immagine if, after spending 3.000 pounds (which for me is an important sum of money), I would discover that I can't teach! It would be very sad for me...
I really see my future in yoga, for the 1st time, since when I started practicing (only 3 months ago!), I've been able to meet other people that are living life with my same principles (it's more than 15 years i've been vegeterian, i don't drink/smoke,...) while, before meeting yoga, I was felling completely alone in this world -friends consider me a freak 'cause i don't eat meet/drink alcool!-
Thanks for your time! Ale.
tourist
Posted 2007-12-20 10:24 AM (#100982 - in reply to #100975)

Expert Yogi

Ale - oh! This thread is getting a little spread out... Now you have given us some more information, I can answer a bit more.

Just recently we had a thread where someone once again noted that they were changing styles after 2 years of practice. I have noticed over the years here (let's see...the profile says 2004, so I have been hanging out here for quite awhile!) that many, many students become disenchanted with their initial choice of styles (for a variety of reasons) after about 2 years. That alone is a very good reason to not begin teacher training too soon.

Secondly, I have grave reservations about anyone who offers teacher training to a student who has not been practicing for a good, long time, especially if they are charging the amount of money you are talking about. This suggests to me that they are not interested so much in turning out good, qualified and dedicated teachers, but more keen to make some serious cash. If this is going to be a financial stretch for you - do not take this training.

Finally, you have to look at what the organization you plan to teach with can offer on a long term basis. We get many new teachers here wanting help with lesson planning, how much to charge, how to get insurance and how to keep their own practice going etc. IMHO, this should all be included in the training PLUS there should be some sort of permanent teacher support group available to you to continue the mentoring process beyond the initial training. In my case, I am very lucky to have a large and energetic Iyengar community for support locally, however we also have a national and international organization that is available to us. Even teachers in remote, outlying areas like the Yukon have access to this resource. So do look carefully at this as well before committing yourself to spend time and money on training.

Bear in mind that I am not trying to talk you out of doing this. Just giving some points to consider before leaping in. Being a yoga teacher is a wonderful thing!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-20 11:01 AM (#100983 - in reply to #100975)

Dear Ale: I had one trainee in my Teacher Training who had done full 2 year full time course in London. She was already already certified, etc. ( I charged her less than 1/3rd of what you are paying. That is because she was able to pay in full. I have charged much less to others who had problems, and Nothing to some who could not pay as I already new them. And, I can tell you that I personally would not consider her 2 year full time course in London to be extremely great.

It is not how much you pay or which school is reputed only, see my post above again line by line.

I admire your wish to teach. But, you must not do it with the intention of making living out of it from the beginning. In that sense, if 3000 is too much for you, you must not risk spending it.

ALE - 2007-12-20 9:30 AM

Thanks kulkarnn!
I wish i would be able to meet you in Virginia...
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to spend 'cause I also have to mantain myself in London!
Mainly because of the financial side, I was wondering if this investment for my future life will be good for me...immagine if, after spending 3.000 pounds (which for me is an important sum of money), I would discover that I can't teach! It would be very sad for me...
I really see my future in yoga, for the 1st time, since when I started practicing (only 3 months ago!), I've been able to meet other people that are living life with my same principles (it's more than 15 years i've been vegeterian, i don't drink/smoke,...) while, before meeting yoga, I was felling completely alone in this world -friends consider me a freak 'cause i don't eat meet/drink alcool!-

Posted 2007-12-20 12:13 PM (#100986 - in reply to #100983)

ALE - 2007-12-20 9:30 AM

Ale,
Are you saying that you have only practiced yoga for three months? If so, you need to deepen your practice before starting a teacher training program or you won't get all that much out of it. Most reputable teacher training programs require at least two years serious practice before starting their program. Yoga is the practice of transformation. You cannot rush transformation. Do not force it; just let it unfold.
Namaste,
Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)