YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stiffness during meditation?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

xfault
Posted 2007-12-17 10:47 AM (#100837)
Subject: Stiffness during meditation?

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to meditate for a couple months now, I may miss a day here and there. My main problem is that after I find a comfortable position to try and meditate in, my body gets stiff after a while, no matter what position I try. If I try to re-adjust myself, it only gives temporary satisfaction, and eventually I just get annoyed and decide to give up and go to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-17 10:59 AM (#100840 - in reply to #100837)
Subject: RE: Stiffness during meditation?

Actually, it is very simple. If you answer my question below, I shall give the answer right away.

xfault - 2007-12-17 10:47 AM

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to meditate for a couple months now, I may miss a day here and there. My main problem is that after I find a comfortable position to try and meditate in, my body gets stiff after a while
===> How long?

, no matter what position I try. If I try to re-adjust myself, it only gives temporary satisfaction, and eventually I just get annoyed and decide to give up and go to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions?
xfault
Posted 2007-12-17 11:43 AM (#100846 - in reply to #100837)
Subject: RE: Stiffness during meditatio

About 15-20 minutes in.
Ram
Posted 2007-12-17 11:55 AM (#100847 - in reply to #100837)

xfault - 2007-12-17 10:47 AM

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to meditate for a couple months now, I may miss a day here and there. My main problem is that after I find a comfortable position to try and meditate in, my body gets stiff after a while, no matter what position I try. If I try to re-adjust myself, it only gives temporary satisfaction, and eventually I just get annoyed and decide to give up and go to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I too found myself very stiff when I first started meditating 12 years ago. I do believe there is an adjustment period to learning meditation. Try some hatha yoga exercises for the hip and back before you meditate. Over time you will find it easier to meditate because when you go into the state of meditation you dont really feel your body.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-17 2:02 PM (#100851 - in reply to #100846)

Good. Then meditate only 15 min at a single sitting and not more. If you wish to spend more time in meditation, then do it several times a day with 15 min at a time.

xfault - 2007-12-17 11:43 AM

About 15-20 minutes in.
xfault
Posted 2007-12-17 2:21 PM (#100854 - in reply to #100837)

Thank you, I will try to limit my sessions to 15 minutes and also try stretching and some yoga beforehand. I'm not very good at it, so 15 minutes won't get me very relaxed or in a meditative state, but I guess thats just something I have to practice.

Posted 2007-12-17 2:46 PM (#100855 - in reply to #100837)

People do yoga asana for lots of reasons now, but the original reason was to prepare for meditation, to help precisely with this problem. So definitely work on that. You don't have to be what you might consider "good" at it to get the benefit from doing it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-17 3:06 PM (#100860 - in reply to #100854)

Thus, original question is not complete. I mean you are not meditating for 15 min. Now, you have to PM me for personal instruction. And, I might advertise my instructional product if necessary.

xfault - 2007-12-17 2:21 PM

Thank you, I will try to limit my sessions to 15 minutes and also try stretching and some yoga beforehand. I'm not very good at it, so 15 minutes won't get me very relaxed or in a meditative state, but I guess thats just something I have to practice.
Spirittap
Posted 2007-12-18 12:17 AM (#100892 - in reply to #100837)

I find it strange that someone could be stiff during meditation. Meditation induces relaxation. If you are not comfortable sitting down you can always lay down.
Bala
Posted 2007-12-27 5:56 AM (#101139 - in reply to #100840)

when you are sit in meditation relax total body.
ways to relax:-
1.close your eyes
2.concentrate your every part of your body. first starts from head, right hand and left hand...and finally total body. Now you will get the relaxation.
3.during meditation you will be full of awareness. (keep little wet on your head hairs.)
4.now start meditation for 15 to 20 minutes.(see your thoughts, whatever it may be-just observe and experience it.)

Neobrahman
Posted 2008-01-12 11:58 AM (#101875 - in reply to #100837)

As a novice myself, I'll totally agree with Bala. I'll only add that when u feel stiff, try to concentrate on the stiff part of the body(hip,back etc.) and try to locate the stiffness itself, and "become one with it". It'll immediately bring relaxation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)