YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kundalini syndrome?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

namakemono
Posted 2007-12-12 6:07 PM (#100686)
Subject: Kundalini syndrome?

Good evening,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes:

I'm an agnostic, skeptic, never believed in energies or anything like that, so I've never practiced yoga or any kind of disciplined meditation. However I've always believed in reincarnation, it just makes sense. period. Also I believe in karma: do good things & good things'll happen, because I've experienced it myself.

But, at the end of november this year, I was at a job interview for THE job of my life (doesn't matter what I do for a living) and experienced something I've never felt before: a rush of what I can only describe as warm energy going from the base of my neck up to my head giving me a sensation of happiness & euphoria that I'd never felt before. I mentioned this to my girlfriend (she's indian spiritual) and she was reading a post about kundalini at a website she visits from time to time and the description fit my experience.

Since then I can call it up whenever I want to and I've practiced (if you could call it that) and now I can feel the energy coming from the base of my stomach all the way up to my head. Usually I use to go over that threshold of laziness. I also get migraines from time to time (had them all my life, runs in the family) and last time I got one (2 weeks ago) I concentrated that energy to make it reflect (yes, I am confused myself too) between my temples to relieve my migraine and, it worked, within 10 minutes my head stopped hurting (and I know when I migraine when I start to feel it!).

Also I've been able to focus jealousy & angry feelings into the base of my stomach & letting them go out through my mouth.

I think I haven't done any research cause I don't want to be mislead, I am confused and don't know what to do with this. And I wouldn't know where to start..... I do feel tired when I use it often, but that is one of the few things (if not the only one) that makes sense.

So my question was: am I just fooling myself? or there is more to this?

Again: I've never interested myself in any kind of spiritualism, anything I can't see or experience for myself I just don't believe... but I feel something that I thought to be impossible..... By the way, I got the job, you know, THE job of my life? ;)

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you very much in advance.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-12-12 6:20 PM (#100687 - in reply to #100686)
Subject: RE: Kundalini syndrome?

If Jesus appeared before me and told me to foresake all, stroll around naked with my finger in my nose and preach to lepers in trade for everlasting peace and a trip to heaven, I'd do it.

There's nothing more amazing than a miracle when you experience the results personally--as it appears you did. A triumph of the mind I think is such a miracle and what causes it is debateable--is it the internal force or a devine assist? I dunno but I think it's great what you related happened to you and that you so quickly have learned to manage it. Thanks for letting us know and chronicling the rest of the journey would probably benefit many.
namakemono
Posted 2007-12-12 7:20 PM (#100689 - in reply to #100687)

Thanks Bruce.

I will keep this post updated as I go through my research & talk to the properly literate people.

But to add to my previous post: is there a way that I could tell if I suffer from kundalini syndrome?

One thing I know for sure right now is that I have to do something about this quickly, (something inside of me keeps telling me that) as it's draining me when I over-use it. Some days it behaves, I can keep it at bay & call it up when necessary. Other days it's just pushing me around & at the end of the day I'm just battered...

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to take a leap of cautious faith ;)

Take care everyone & thanks.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-12-12 8:54 PM (#100693 - in reply to #100689)

I don't know what "kundalini syndrome" is, but I do know a bit about energy coursing through the body of its own volition. It's neither good nor bad, just like the electricity that powers a light bulb is neither good nor bad. It's what you do with it that matters. If you let it run rampant, or overuse it through uninsulated channels, you could get burned.

For most of us, spontaneous flow of energy just doesn't happen, but that doesn't mean that it can't ever. Your instincts that are telling you that you need to learn how to have control over this are correct, so it would be best to go to a professional that's well versed in such things. Hmm, maybe the phrase "have control over" isn't exactly correct... more like integrate it into you so it doesn't feel so separate, that would be a better way to look at it.

Good luck, and congrats on getting the job!

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-12 10:05 PM (#100696 - in reply to #100689)

Though you may be researcher and agnostic, I do not see much chance of your finding the end to this just by doing intellectual thinking and just calling it up (as you call it) and trying to know it.

Also, if you are not able to keep this under your control, that is if it is pushing you around, I think you are wasting your time.

I suggest the following:

a) Either take up a good Yoga Practice with experienced teacher and as a part of it address your situation.

OR

b) Focus on work at hand and other things until this experience leaves you.

OR

c) Depend on luck.

namakemono - 2007-12-12 7:20 PM

Thanks Bruce.

I will keep this post updated as I go through my research & talk to the properly literate people.

But to add to my previous post: is there a way that I could tell if I suffer from kundalini syndrome?

One thing I know for sure right now is that I have to do something about this quickly, (something inside of me keeps telling me that) as it's draining me when I over-use it. Some days it behaves, I can keep it at bay & call it up when necessary. Other days it's just pushing me around & at the end of the day I'm just battered...

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to take a leap of cautious faith ;)

Take care everyone & thanks.
namakemono
Posted 2007-12-13 4:46 AM (#100711 - in reply to #100696)

OrangeMat - 2007-12-13 2:54 AM

I don't know what "kundalini syndrome" is, but I do know a bit about energy coursing through the body of its own volition. It's neither good nor bad, just like the electricity that powers a light bulb is neither good nor bad. It's what you do with it that matters. If you let it run rampant, or overuse it through uninsulated channels, you could get burned.

For most of us, spontaneous flow of energy just doesn't happen, but that doesn't mean that it can't ever. Your instincts that are telling you that you need to learn how to have control over this are correct, so it would be best to go to a professional that's well versed in such things. Hmm, maybe the phrase "have control over" isn't exactly correct... more like integrate it into you so it doesn't feel so separate, that would be a better way to look at it.

Good luck, and congrats on getting the job!

Thanks for your comment OM, I was thinking about how to incorporate it into my being without it feeling so separate already.

kulkarnn - 2007-12-13 4:05 AM

Though you may be researcher and agnostic, I do not see much chance of your finding the end to this just by doing intellectual thinking and just calling it up (as you call it) and trying to know it.

Also, if you are not able to keep this under your control, that is if it is pushing you around, I think you are wasting your time.

I suggest the following:

a) Either take up a good Yoga Practice with experienced teacher and as a part of it address your situation.

OR

b) Focus on work at hand and other things until this experience leaves you.

OR

c) Depend on luck.

Even though everyone else seemed to understand what I mean by "research" you fail to, kulkarnn. By research I meant talking to people that know more about this than me, taking yoga lessons, reading books, experimenting with my body & mind, NOT hooking myself to some electrodes & measuring myself, I don't think the pure scientifical method'll do it for me on this one...

For an expert yogi you sure are a negative person. I do not think I'm wasting my time & i do not want to see the end of this, it's not a burden for me, it is more of a blessing.

However I do think that responding to your negative input is a waste of time, mostly because you fail to see what I mean.

Also, I don't believe in luck I believe in putting yourself in the right place in the right moment, luck doesn't just come a knocking.

Nevertheless, thanks for your input.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-13 7:31 AM (#100717 - in reply to #100686)

Darling Namakemono:

Your post says? Any ideas from anyone? Now, you can not listen to my ideas. Rather than reading my ideas and using them or not using them for your own sake, you are evaluating me. Also, if you re-read my response, several times, you shall find 'what is positive' and 'what is negatively positive' and 'what is positively negative'. I wish you all the best. But, now I want to add one more response to your question directly:

Q: So my question was: am I just fooling myself? or there is more to this?

A: Yes, you are fooling yourself.

namakemono
Posted 2007-12-13 10:07 AM (#100720 - in reply to #100717)

kulkarnn - 2007-12-13 1:31 PM

Darling Namakemono:

Your post says? Any ideas from anyone? Now, you can not listen to my ideas. Rather than reading my ideas and using them or not using them for your own sake, you are evaluating me. Also, if you re-read my response, several times, you shall find 'what is positive' and 'what is negatively positive' and 'what is positively negative'. I wish you all the best. But, now I want to add one more response to your question directly:

I'm not even going to bother with an answer. For a yogi master you are a very hostile person.

Posted 2007-12-13 10:28 AM (#100724 - in reply to #100686)

Miquel, Neel (kulkarn) is an authentic yogi with years of education and experience firsthand and in teaching others. On top of that, he's a genuine good man. His opinion on your experiences, as you acknowledged you requested, is straight forward. I appreciate his input when I ask and really value that it's not sugar-coated. In short, his take is objective and certainly not a personal commentary on you.
tweeva
Posted 2007-12-13 11:02 AM (#100726 - in reply to #100720)

Veteran

namakemono - 2007-12-11 4:07 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-12-13 1:31 PM

Darling Namakemono:

I'm not even going to bother with an answer. For a yogi master you are a very hostile person.

Congratulations on the discovery of something new in your life. If there is anything to learn from this, it would probably be just that: life is full of surprises.
I would strongly recommend to re-evalute Neel's words. He does have quite some experience in these matters. He might not be saying what you would like to hear, but he is saying what you need to hear. His style is quite direct and sometimes might sound a bit offensive, but his advice is sound.
Anyway, I would not jump into conclusions about all this. Neel's quite right in saying that it is futile to try to grasp this intelectually and you certainly won't find the answers you seek on public forums. Find a good Yoga teacher instead.

Tw
namakemono
Posted 2007-12-13 12:16 PM (#100733 - in reply to #100686)

I think there was a bit of miscommunication here.

I'm not trying to apprehend this purely intellectually or scientifically, but I do think that informing & schooling myself is important, so I am able to identify what I'm feeling. I'm not trying to control or put an end to it. I just want to know what's going on with me. My question wasn't if it's possible to understand it purely intellectually, but if what I feel is kundalini & not something else.

The way I understood Neel is that since I'm an agnostic it is futile for me to do anything with this. & I strongly disagree. But then again it might've been miscommunication, english isn't my first language either...

I also would like to know why Neel said that I am fooling myself.

I am however, going to seek help in the real world, not the internet.

Thanks everyone & apologies for any discomfort.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-13 12:19 PM (#100734 - in reply to #100686)

Dear Miquel: Look at it this way:

- Forget about Yogi Master and all that. That is a designation calculated on number of posts, etc.

- If you are taking an opinion on some item, would not you go to someone who has sufficient experience on it? Do you know many people who can say that they have the experience which you have. I mean from neck to head, energy flow, migraine resolution, etc. etc.

- If you have persons who have that experience, would you ask others who do not have that experience?

- And, if you do not have such people, would you think you will try to get correct opinions?

- Let me make it very simple in your case = The field of Kundalini is meant only for Spiritual Students, and not for Therapeutic Usage. If you are not interested in Spirituality, you should ignore the Kundality field. And, if you are interested interested in Kundalini field, you must go to a Kundalini Master and be ready to spend a life time with it. It is not something to be obtained by small discussion such as: If my head hurts while doing headstand, what I should do or if I can not touch my toes in forward bend, what do you suggest, etc.?

- You next immediate problem is going to be: To come out of the habit you developed and that shall happen if you take up a systematic Yoga practice.

Happy Holidays.
namakemono
Posted 2007-12-13 12:56 PM (#100736 - in reply to #100734)

kulkarnn - 2007-12-14 6:19 PM

Dear Miquel: Look at it this way:

- Forget about Yogi Master and all that. That is a designation calculated on number of posts, etc.

- If you are taking an opinion on some item, would not you go to someone who has sufficient experience on it? Do you know many people who can say that they have the experience which you have. I mean from neck to head, energy flow, migraine resolution, etc. etc.

- If you have persons who have that experience, would you ask others who do not have that experience?

- And, if you do not have such people, would you think you will try to get correct opinions?

- Let me make it very simple in your case = The field of Kundalini is meant only for Spiritual Students, and not for Therapeutic Usage. If you are not interested in Spirituality, you should ignore the Kundality field. And, if you are interested interested in Kundalini field, you must go to a Kundalini Master and be ready to spend a life time with it. It is not something to be obtained by small discussion such as: If my head hurts while doing headstand, what I should do or if I can not touch my toes in forward bend, what do you suggest, etc.?

- You next immediate problem is going to be: To come out of the habit you developed and that shall happen if you take up a systematic Yoga practice.

Happy Holidays.

Dear Neel,

Unfortunately, I don't know anybody that has (or had) this experience. And I'm not looking for therapy on my migraines at all, I've learned to live with them.

I came to this forum with hopes of finding someone that has experience with kundalini, to share experiences, not for a solution, I am aware that there are no quickfixes in spiritually.

I will look for a teacher here in the netherlands.

Thank you very much for your advise, I honestly appreciate it, not being sarcastic here :-)

And happy holidays to you too.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-13 3:10 PM (#100742 - in reply to #100686)

Dear Nama: I think now we are talking similarly. I am saying that a) you will rarely meet a person with Kundalini Masterly experience. Not total impossibility, but rarely. So, you can look for one if you wish or keep eyes open. However, in the meantime, you shall be in limbo. b) If you are interested in Kundalini field, you have to be interested in dedicated spirituality, which you wrote in the original post you were not. c) Also, until you resolve what to do with the spirituality, kundalini master search, or wait, etc. it is better to give up your practice if possible. If you still like it in a beneficial way, continue it. d) But, once you develop such nervous habits then it takes time to get rid of them.
tweeva
Posted 2007-12-13 6:11 PM (#100750 - in reply to #100736)

Veteran

Miquel,

Blijkbaar ben je Nederlandstalig?

mvg,
Tw

namakemono
Posted 2007-12-14 10:18 AM (#100767 - in reply to #100742)

kulkarnn - 2007-12-14 9:10 PM

Dear Nama: I think now we are talking similarly. I am saying that a) you will rarely meet a person with Kundalini Masterly experience. Not total impossibility, but rarely. So, you can look for one if you wish or keep eyes open. However, in the meantime, you shall be in limbo. b) If you are interested in Kundalini field, you have to be interested in dedicated spirituality, which you wrote in the original post you were not. c) Also, until you resolve what to do with the spirituality, kundalini master search, or wait, etc. it is better to give up your practice if possible. If you still like it in a beneficial way, continue it. d) But, once you develop such nervous habits then it takes time to get rid of them.

Hi Neel,

I said on my first post that i wasn't interested in spirituality, now I am interested in certain aspects of spirituality. & I agree with you, I'll have to look for a kundalini master. I've noticed that sometimes I obsess with the whole thing, call it up just to prove that I'm not deceiving myself. I've quit doing that, not healthy.

Wish me luck on my search of a kundalini master.

thanks for your advice.

tweeva - 2007-12-14 12:11 AM

Miquel,

mvg,
Tw

Eigelijk niet, ik ben een spanjaard die in amsterdam woont

tweeva
Posted 2007-12-14 10:32 AM (#100771 - in reply to #100767)

Veteran

namakemono - 2007-12-12 4:18 PM

tweeva - 2007-12-14 12:11 AM

Miquel,

mvg,
Tw

Eigelijk niet, ik ben een spanjaard die in amsterdam woont

Hoezo "eigenlijk" niet? Je kan toch Nederlands schrijven? Ben je in Spanje geboren?
Tw
namakemono
Posted 2007-12-14 10:36 AM (#100773 - in reply to #100771)

tweeva - 2007-12-14 4:32 PM

Hoezo "eigenlijk" niet? Je kan toch Nederlands schrijven? Ben je in Spanje geboren?
Tw

Ja, dat in inderdaad waar, ik ben nederlanstalig. ik ben in spanje geboren en woon in amsterdam al 11 jaar. :-)
tweeva
Posted 2007-12-14 11:16 AM (#100775 - in reply to #100773)

Veteran

Miquel,

Ik wil wel wat dieper ingaan op je vragen, maar vind een publiek forum hiervoor niet geschikt. Zullen we dit gesprek via email verderzetten? Liever in 't Engels of in 't Nederlands?

mvg,
Tw
Andre
Posted 2007-12-14 1:43 PM (#100785 - in reply to #100686)

Extreme Veteran

The way I understood Neel is that since I'm an agnostic it is futile for me to do anything with this.

I didn't get that. I identify as agnostic. But certainly not as a skeptic. That aspect may change by what spirit you may discover in yourself. By all means, look. The only thing I can add is this: don't be so linear, looking only to one branch (Kundalini in this case) for understanding. Walk down that path first, if so directed, but be willing to be lead in another direction.
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-12-29 12:28 PM (#101230 - in reply to #100686)

nama,
personally I have times where I experience some great things and I feel great for no reason, since starting yoga it has happened on many occasions, much more then in the past
normally when we feel bad we look for answers in order to get out of the "hole" my advice to you, when you feel you "best" it is then that you guard yourself. by doing this the holes we fall into will not be so deep. when you feel your best eat your best, sleep your best, speak your best. Normally when we feel our best we may think, "why should I eat well", we may speak words without thinking, we may say "I dont need much sleep, I have plenty of energy"
good luck
just do your best

seeker
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)