YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm new to the yogi life
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

rae rae
Posted 2007-12-05 3:27 PM (#100413)
Subject: I'm new to the yogi life

I've been interested in the Yogi life for a couple of months now and just recently have been putting my interest into practice. I was wonder... how are we supposed to eat? I hear we must be vegetarians from some, and that we can eat meat from others... and is organic prefferable? Please help me!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-06 7:04 AM (#100434 - in reply to #100413)
Subject: RE: I'm new to the yogi life

Hi Rachel, I'm glad to hear you're starting a practice, and making changes to take better care of yourself. There's a lot of diet advice out there, and if you try to follow it all you're going to end up very confused. I read Diet For a Small Planet years ago, and have been mostly vegetarian ever since. I eat eggs and fish on occasion, but not often. You have to figure out what works best for your body. Sometimes I eat a meal, and it feels like my body is just absorbing the nutrients. My body is telling me this is good for me. Pay attention to any messages you might be getting, read some books on diet, nutrition, and also some cook books are a wealth of information. You're going to have to help yourself by informing yourself and making your own decisions. You can do it, Shelly
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-06 8:46 AM (#100439 - in reply to #100413)

Expert Yogi

You don't have to be a vegetarian for Yoga life.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-12-06 8:47 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-06 10:26 AM (#100446 - in reply to #100413)

My suggestion is:

Follow your heart, or secondly follow your head. But, do not follow your tongue. Alas, most of us do follow the tongue.

In other words: Do what I say, do not do what I do.
sark
Posted 2007-12-06 4:30 PM (#100476 - in reply to #100413)

Follow what your body is telling you. I tried vegetenariasm and it backfired on me. I felt awful when I cut out meat. Now I eat meat, but in sensible (small) amounts and not neccesarly every day do I eat meat. Do what works for you.

Posted 2007-12-06 6:29 PM (#100481 - in reply to #100476)

The practice of yoga will make you more in tune with your body. Your body will tell you what works best for you if you listen. No matter what you eat, the fresher and less processed food is, the better it is for your body.

Posted 2007-12-06 6:38 PM (#100482 - in reply to #100446)

kulkarnn - 2007-12-06 7:26 AM

My suggestion is:

But, do not follow your tongue. Alas, most of us do follow the tongue.

Neel,
You are saying that we should follow YOUR tongue ("do what I say") not our own ("do not follow your tongue")! If I MUST follow a tongue, it will be my own! Do we have any choice in which body part that we follow????
jimg
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-06 10:26 PM (#100487 - in reply to #100482)

No questions allowed!!!

jimg - 2007-12-06 6:38 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-12-06 7:26 AM

My suggestion is:

But, do not follow your tongue. Alas, most of us do follow the tongue.

Neel,
You are saying that we should follow YOUR tongue ("do what I say") not our own ("do not follow your tongue")! If I MUST follow a tongue, it will be my own! Do we have any choice in which body part that we follow????
jimg
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-07 6:53 AM (#100500 - in reply to #100413)

Hi Neel, I was thinking after I posted that I should have said pay attention to the messages that you get from your body after you ingest food, NOT the message your brain gets from your tongue when you put food into your mouth. Thank you for that, Shelly
rae rae
Posted 2007-12-07 1:06 PM (#100513 - in reply to #100413)

Thank you! all your responses are very helpful
realmxofxnoise
Posted 2007-12-17 3:51 PM (#100867 - in reply to #100413)

Welcome to the Yogi life :- ) Personally, I'm fairly new to Yoga as well. In fact, I still don't do it as much as I'd like or should! That being said, I've followed a vegan diet for the past eleven years. Since I was 16 years old.

My eating habits have kept me so much more in tune with my body, and the planet. It's honestly made me continue to find more ways to better myself and others. It actually made look into Yoga.

All of that being said, vegetarianism/veganism or any other eating habits aren't required to be a Yogi. Like the others have said, you'll find what works best for you. Like another person said, definitely try to stay away from consuming too much processed food. Of course, you can't help wanting the occasional sweet, so indulging once and a while is fine. My wife is known for making dessert (vegan of course) a lot.

I also personally believe that you should try to turn your eating habits into a way of living. The term diet doesn't always sit right with people.

So - try different foods and ways of eating, and see what works for you. Someone else said vegetarianism didn't work for them, but personally - I feel it could work for anyone. Of course, like any other way of eating it has to be done correctly!

Good luck!

Edited by realmxofxnoise 2007-12-17 3:51 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)