YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Holiday Gift Ideas
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

UrdhvaMukha
Posted 2007-11-27 8:47 PM (#99934)
Subject: Holiday Gift Ideas

Does anyone have any ideas for holiday gifts for the yoga practitioner? I just began yoga this year and want to give my teachers all gifts for introducing me and supporting me. I know there are some here on the site, but I don't want to give my yoga teachers stuff to use for yoga, because they know so much more about that than I do, I want to give them something that's not quite yoga-related, but that they would enjoy as yoga people.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-27 11:18 PM (#99940 - in reply to #99934)
Subject: RE: Holiday Gift Ideas

PM me and I shall tell you what I have as Indian artifacts that you might consider.

Interesting: When I started my Yoga School in 1999 in an official way, I bought lot of things to keep in a sort of boutique by looking at boutiques in some other schools. Then, I learnt that I am not meant for such a thing. So, I gave gifts using these items. And, I still may have some left, preserved in my storage. And, also I may have some books, etc.

I am also thinking, due to Coach Al's suggestion that I should make most of my products half price for the month of December. All my products are made by paying in cash, without any loan, from the money I earned prior to making the product.
tourist
Posted 2007-11-28 10:16 AM (#99959 - in reply to #99934)

Expert Yogi

Hi UM - as a preschool teacher and a yoga teacher, I get a lot of little gifts at various times of the year. Some are great, some are not so great. I have several items with "namaste" on them - a mug, a fridge magnet, and a little etched stone. Those are nice. I love to get consumables (tea, chocolates) and not so fond of decorative things that may not fit my life. Wind chimes, for example. I do not like wind chimes at all. The one set I got years ago that I did like, I hung inside my house because I don't like the noise when they are outside. Scented things are a problem for many with allergies, so scented candles are not great. If you go all out and get Cyndi's pure beeswax candles, that is another story Things like scarves, gloves or whatnot seem great, but the receiver does feel some obligation to be seen by the giver to be using them, so that can be a problem, too. Sets of unusual or yoga-related greeting cards are wonderful, as they can be used over time. You just don't want to give things that will sit around in someone's house for years. When in doubt, contribute to a charity or non-profit group in your teacher's name and give him/her a card saying what you did.

Oh - and for everyone gifting this season - I just heard that one in four gift cards never get redeemed! So unless you know for sure your recipient will use a card right away, I would not go that route. Unless you are interested in just giving your money away to the Gap or Starbucks or whatever...
Orbilia
Posted 2007-11-28 10:20 AM (#99961 - in reply to #99959)

How about one of those charity gifts - I bought an African family a goat on your behalf sort of thing?

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-28 12:05 PM (#99977 - in reply to #99961)

That is fantastic.

Orbilia - 2007-11-28 10:20 AM

How about one of those charity gifts - I bought an African family a goat on your behalf sort of thing?

Fee

Posted 2007-11-28 12:17 PM (#99979 - in reply to #99934)

As an aside, my local yogi buddies get booze...sure, a bottle of wine seems to be welcomed for the holidays--either to be consumed or regifted.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-28 1:23 PM (#99983 - in reply to #99979)

Only an Irish brother can get such ideas.

Bruce - 2007-11-28 12:17 PM

As an aside, my local yogi buddies get booze...sure, a bottle of wine seems to be welcomed for the holidays--either to be consumed or regifted.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-11-28 6:00 PM (#100011 - in reply to #99959)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2007-11-28 10:16 AM

If you go all out and get Cyndi's pure beeswax candles, that is another story

You know what?? I've made a few new customers in my yoga class. We are doing candle lite yoga due to the time change and it getting darker. I donated the candles and they've really been nice. The beeswax smells so nice and is good for allergies and senstive persons. They actually clean your air. Sooo,

Yes, my canldes are great holiday gifts. If anyone is interested, I'm still taking holiday orders...however, I'm cutting it off around the 18h due to mailing and shipping purposes and my candles are custom hand crafted, they need to cure for at least a week before you burn them......also, I'm leaving for an entire month and am trying to get ready for my loong Italy trip.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-11-29 11:11 AM (#100053 - in reply to #99934)

Home Made Jelly

Home baked Bread

a card
UrdhvaMukha
Posted 2007-11-29 5:20 PM (#100073 - in reply to #99961)

Orbilia - 2007-11-28 10:20 AM

Fee

lol That's a great idea - I think I'll go with that one... ur, not the goat exactly but I know the studio I attend is very into eco-consciousness so I bet they would like a gift like that. I rented a film called Outsourced last night I think would also make a good gift - it was set in India and told a very sweet, funny and conscious story of an American discovering Indian culture.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-11-30 5:18 AM (#100106 - in reply to #100073)

Thanks for the film reference - might just answer a couple of my gift issues

Fee
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-11-30 7:55 AM (#100109 - in reply to #99934)

My grandparents used to give us fruit baskets every Christmas. Now they're gone, and my mother was asking what we wanted for Christmas. I told her we miss getting the fruit, and she could get us that. My grandparents I have with me in my heart.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-30 8:09 AM (#100113 - in reply to #100109)

You are lucky. Your grandparents are in your heart and are in your quilt and I shall soon take them to India. After all, they were Native Indians!

bstqltmkr - 2007-11-30 7:55 AM

My grandparents used to give us fruit baskets every Christmas. Now they're gone, and my mother was asking what we wanted for Christmas. I told her we miss getting the fruit, and she could get us that. My grandparents I have with me in my heart.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-11-30 8:24 AM (#100115 - in reply to #99934)

I'm very, very lucky, and having you for my friend is one of the reasons.
UrdhvaMukha
Posted 2007-12-01 6:23 PM (#100190 - in reply to #100106)

Orbilia - 2007-11-30 5:18 AM

Thanks for the film reference - might just answer a couple of my gift issues

Fee

Heh, no problem. Outsourced was really good, I'm surprised how much it's sticking with me - especially this scene where the main female character (Indian) is teaching the main male (US) character about the temple of the Shiva lingam. The movie mostly sticks to well-known (and sometimes stereotypical) facts about Indian culture, only looks at them with a very unique sensibility, I can't really describe it. I looked up the website for it is outsourcedthemovie.com.

One of my yoga teachers was talking at class about looking into switching her food source from Whole Foods to a local farm, I was thinking of offering to buy her 6 months worth of a subscription to a local CSA... but it's kinda not something I feel comfortable surprising her with even though I have distinctions in nutrition.
asananow
Posted 2007-12-02 9:09 AM (#100197 - in reply to #99934)

Nice thread, lots of good ideas. I think one of Neel's cds would make a great gift for myself.

Just an fyi, http://www.heifer.org is the organization that comes to mind for 'giving a goat'. They have a lot of really cool programs and it is so nice that the goal is to give a sustainable, lasting, life changing gift.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-02 11:45 AM (#100207 - in reply to #100190)

Expert Yogi

UrdhvaMukha - 2007-12-01 6:23 PM

One of my yoga teachers was talking at class about looking into switching her food source from Whole Foods to a local farm, I was thinking of offering to buy her 6 months worth of a subscription to a local CSA... but it's kinda not something I feel comfortable surprising her with even though I have distinctions in nutrition.

Actually, here in Western NC we have these. I think? I believe a CSA is where you get a selected amount of local produce for x amount of months from various participating farms. I think these are great...if anyone bought me one of these, I'd be eternally grateful and would love it, love it, LOVE IT!! Although....a gift certificate to Whole Foods ain't a bad idea either. BUT, my beeswax candles are much better quality than the ones from Whole Foods.

Posted 2007-12-02 12:35 PM (#100212 - in reply to #99934)

cyndi:

i'm getting stocking stuffers together. can you give your web site to get the candles again? i think i have about 5 stockings to stuff.

so far, the list is this:

locally made soap (named Happiness--smells awesome)
locally made lotion (made with honey raised locally too)
vicco toothpowder (thanks for that insight. i finally found some!)

locally made chocolates
sugar plums (again)
almond-stuffed dates (again)
christmas cookies (chocolate chip and short bread)

and i think a candle (home made) would be nice too. Thoughts on that?

I'm sending one to my SIL in nevada too. i wanted to give her a "fun" gift, but we don't know what she would consider fun, and her mom recommended a gift certificate for "Marshalls" and so we're going to do that plus a stocking. I got a cute, knit stocking at the craft fair (held at the same time as the holiday parade on friday! i taught the yoga with life music class at 7, when the parade started, but got into town at 6, and enjoyed the craft fair and talked with santa. and then, while the class staretd, the parade went right by the studio, and we were facing out, and we saw all of the fire trucks and the band, and hte angels and it was SO cool and we were waving as they went by. . . .).

anyway, i love doing stockings. and i think the candles would add that extra touch.

oh yeah, and i'm making small bags of lavendar bath salts and giving lavendar sachets that my friend made from their home-grown lavendar. . . .

yeah, nice.
UrdhvaMukha
Posted 2007-12-02 3:15 PM (#100221 - in reply to #100207)

Cyndi - 2007-12-02 11:45 AM

UrdhvaMukha - 2007-12-01 6:23 PM

Actually, here in Western NC we have these. I think? I believe a CSA is where you get a selected amount of local produce for x amount of months from various participating farms. I think these are great...if anyone bought me one of these, I'd be eternally grateful and would love it, love it, LOVE IT!! Although....a gift certificate to Whole Foods ain't a bad idea either. BUT, my beeswax candles are much better quality than the ones from Whole Foods.

Yes - CSA stands for "community supported agriculture". I belong to a local one. It's good to hear that's a gift you'd like. I noticed last time I visited Whole Foods that they had holiday gift baskets, but... that just seems too commercial and boring for some reason. I did end up ordering a couple copies of Outsourced so that's a start. These ideas are all great! It's helping me with the rest of my holiday list too.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-02 6:19 PM (#100228 - in reply to #100212)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2007-12-02 12:35 PM

cyndi:

i'm getting stocking stuffers together. can you give your web site to get the candles again? i think i have about 5 stockings to stuff.

Hey ZB,

I've been really terrible about updating my website. My DD broke her laptop screen. She did my website using her Mac software. Anyway, we are back up and running...however, due to time issues and the fact that I have someone who is interested in helping me get my shopping cart and possible a new design layout...I'm lame...I admit it, I'm more interested and have somewhat been distracted by my Italy trip than the website BUT, I've been right on time with all my orders and that's the most important factor as far as I'm concerned. Website will be a different story when I get back.

Sooo, anyone interested in beeswax candles...go to my website either at the bottom of the screen or it's simplybees.com If you send me a request email, I'll be happy to send you a price list. I take credit cards and paypal. I am no longer doing hand-rolled candles....the quality is not as nice as the poured pillars. I have these solid tapered candles that are totally awesome and burn 10 hours. My sister and I used these for her Thanksgiving table...the natural beeswax gold color was very appropriate and beautiful. For Christmas I'm recommending these in red and gold...like you can stagger the colors. I will also sell these in multi-colored pairs...another words instead of 2 pair the same color, I'll sell 1 of the natural color gold beeswax and 1 red or green, cranberry, etc. - customer's choice for the color... for the same price as the pairs. All my candles are custom hand crafted.

anyway, i love doing stockings. and i think the candles would add that extra touch.

I have these cute little tealight candles...or the skeps are nice too. All my candles are great stocking stuffers.

oh yeah, and i'm making small bags of lavendar bath salts and giving lavender sachets that my friend made from their home-grown lavendar. . . .

I've been playing around with Lavender Soy Votives for my personal holiday gift baskets. I had a request from a yoga studio for these and they've turned out really nice. They are actually a pastel Lavender color using ECO friendly dye, along with pure Lavender Essential Oil. I haven't decided on how much to charge for these, but if you're interested...I can do these as well...and I can do these in tea lights too. All my tea lights are in clear cups. They look so much nicer. Lavender is sooo soothing, it's my favorite EO and its sooo universal for everything!!

Posted 2007-12-02 9:38 PM (#100234 - in reply to #99934)

tea lights would probably be the perfect thing.

Orbilia
Posted 2007-12-03 6:36 AM (#100244 - in reply to #100190)

I don't suppose you have a link for where I might get the film, Ousourced, do you? Amazon UK threw up several finds but none of that seemed to be the film you mention.

Thanks,

Fiona
tourist
Posted 2007-12-03 10:36 AM (#100254 - in reply to #100221)

Expert Yogi

UM - one thing to add to this is not to make any gift too extravagant. I don't know how much your CSA's cost, maybe to just sign up for it is not too expensive, but I would feel awful if I thought a student spent more than $5 or $10 on a gift.

Posted 2007-12-03 2:52 PM (#100284 - in reply to #99934)

a csa share, here, would not go amiss.

but a share costs anywhere from $350 to $600 at the farms near us (depending upon what the CSA is about).

i certainly don't expect it from m students. though some give me a nice christmas bonus (private clients do).
tourist
Posted 2007-12-03 7:53 PM (#100298 - in reply to #100284)

Expert Yogi

I need me some private clients.....
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)