YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sinus congestion and neti pot
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

random
Posted 2007-11-18 4:14 AM (#99601)
Subject: sinus congestion and neti pot

Hi. I'm new here so i'm not sure if its ok just to start a thread on this. i'm aware there are other threads on neti potting but i was after more specific responses to my issues.

i've had sinus problems for a long time, you could probably call them chronic. i've recently starting using a neti pot (about a week now) in an attempt to solve the issues.

it has helped somewhat, but there are just a few things i'm not sure of.

1. the water sometimes just doesnt seem to want to flow. and when it does, it will start with a big flow, then slow down to a trickle then stop. is that meant to happen??

2. my left nostril is still currently blocked, yet water flow seems to occur more when i hvae the neti pot into my left nostril (and flowing out of my right)

I tried this thing yesterday where with the neti pot in my right nostril, i block the hole on the top of the neti and blow out of my left nostril if no water is flowing. it clears a lot of junk and water starts to flow very well, but then stop again. and i mean it clears heaps of stuff. i did it last night, but today when i did it it felt alot of water was going to my ears so i relaxed on it abit. is this a good thing to do or dangerous to the ears? right now my ear feels a tiny bit blocked but nothing major, clears when i yawn. my left nostril is however still blocked

3. i seem to be having trouble clearing water out after using the neti pot. not so much clearing the water out, but more knowing if i've done it properly or if theres any water still in there? sometimes my nose is still blocked after neti potting so it makes it harder?

the way ive devised, i'm not sure how good it is, is to block both my nostrils and blow, and if i feel any water in my ears then i need to clear more. is this a good thing to do?

any responses will be appreciated. i feel like its worth persisting with because at the moment even though my left is still blocked at the moment, my right is clearer than it has been in a long time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-18 9:09 AM (#99607 - in reply to #99601)
Subject: RE: sinus congestion and neti pot

Since you wrote any responses shall be appreciated, please see ===> below.

random - 2007-11-18 4:14 AM

Hi. I'm new here so i'm not sure if its ok just to start a thread on this. i'm aware there are other threads on neti potting but i was after more specific responses to my issues.

i've had sinus problems for a long time, you could probably call them chronic. i've recently starting using a neti pot (about a week now) in an attempt to solve the issues.

===> Totally wrong thing to do and therefore anything associated with this practice in your case shall go wrong.

it has helped somewhat, but there are just a few things i'm not sure of.

===> What has helped is not real help, but only a symptomatic feeling.

1. the water sometimes just doesnt seem to want to flow. and when it does, it will start with a big flow, then slow down to a trickle then stop. is that meant to happen??

===> This should be learnt from an experienced Neti teacher in person. I am not suggesting that you should learn and do it that way. But, if you are having this question and you do yourself wish to learn neti, in your own case, you should learn it from the experienced teacher.

2. my left nostril is still currently blocked, yet water flow seems to occur more when i hvae the neti pot into my left nostril (and flowing out of my right)

===> Same as abo ve.

I tried this thing yesterday where with the neti pot in my right nostril, i block the hole on the top of the neti and blow out of my left nostril if no water is flowing. it clears a lot of junk and water starts to flow very well, but then stop again. and i mean it clears heaps of stuff. i did it last night, but today when i did it it felt alot of water was going to my ears so i relaxed on it abit. is this a good thing to do or dangerous to the ears? right now my ear feels a tiny bit blocked but nothing major, clears when i yawn. my left nostril is however still blocked

===> Same as above.

3. i seem to be having trouble clearing water out after using the neti pot. not so much clearing the water out, but more knowing if i've done it properly or if theres any water still in there? sometimes my nose is still blocked after neti potting so it makes it harder?

the way ive devised, i'm not sure how good it is, is to block both my nostrils and blow, and if i feel any water in my ears then i need to clear more. is this a good thing to do?

===> Same as above.

====> Anecdote (? spelling): Once one computer consultant girl came to my class. She said, she wants to learn Neti. On discussion with her, we concluded that : she wants to learn neti only because her grand father in India does it and she does not want my other opinions on it. So, I accepted. I said she needs one or two private classes at 60 per hour. She accepted to try one first. She has tried all things before to learn and did not work. So, when she came to my class, I walked to an Indian Grocery store opposite to my school and purchased a copper pot with a trunk (I think this is called Spout in English. ???) which is used for Puja in India. I told her she has to pay me for the pot as well. She agreed. Now, the class was for one hour. I told her she has to do exactly what I do, without using her thinking for the part of the class. No questions and no thinking, just do what I do.

For the first 45 min, I taught her all yoga exercises which I wanted to teach her such as Backbends, etc. etc. also some meditation. Then after 45 min, I brough the copper pot with the water in front of her and told her to do some things. She exclaimed in surprise that she had actually drunk water by one nostril and left it by another. She thought she had accomplished great deal in 5 min. She paid my 60 dollars cash plus 20 dollars for the pot.

I felt I had accomplished a great deal due to a) my being able to teach her 45 min of Yoga Class and b) getting 60 dollars for my service.

===> The above is a true incident, not a made up story.

any responses will be appreciated. i feel like its worth persisting with because at the moment even though my left is still blocked at the moment, my right is clearer than it has been in a long time.
random
Posted 2007-11-19 9:14 AM (#99635 - in reply to #99601)
Subject: RE: sinus congestion and neti

thanks for your response but all you have given me is negativity without reason.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-19 9:43 AM (#99637 - in reply to #99635)

Dear Random: I wish you well. The positive part of the above response is copied below:

===> This should be learnt from an experienced Neti teacher in person. I am not suggesting that you should learn and do it that way. But, if you are having this question and if you do yourself wish to learn neti, in your own (particular) case, you should learn it from the experienced teacher.

random - 2007-11-19 9:14 AM

thanks for your response but all you have given me is negativity without reason.

Posted 2007-11-19 11:46 AM (#99647 - in reply to #99601)

If you will describe your Neti process from craddle to grave then I will provide some additional feedback.

If you choose to do this please cover:

the mixture you are using and it's ratio.
where and when you are doing the neti process
from what source you have found neti information which you are folllowing
and any specifics about you and your health

Cyndi
Posted 2007-11-19 11:57 AM (#99649 - in reply to #99635)

Expert Yogi

Random,

You really should listen to Neel. The neti process is NOT something that can be learned from a book or online. There is an art to practicing Neti. It is really, really unhealthy for your sinus's if you continue. You've already stated that you are having problems. Do you have an Ayurvedic practictioner you can go to?? If you live near Neel in VA, I'm sure he'd be happy to assist you.

drragsthomas
Posted 2007-11-20 5:38 AM (#99686 - in reply to #99601)

hi , random i too have this called deviated nasal septum for this Ent doctors recommend operation i have tried this netti with an oldest yoga expert in india rite in front of him , he recommended using cooking salt to be applied on a long tube that they provide and then introducing that tube through your right nostril and pulling out throuh your left and in the midtime doing some count of 10 to 12 pulls with one end of the tube coming out through the nostril and the other end through the moouth and this process has to repeated in the next nostril i got sneezing a lot while practised in the earlier days then the nose blocked was cleared a lot and it was easier to breath then oneday i had bleed while inserting that tube inside my nostril then i got lazy to ask him what to do next and then i abandoned the technique now after an year that nose block has come back a bit any feed back on this ......
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-20 11:22 AM (#99696 - in reply to #99601)

Thanks for telling your experience. Neti is not as great as it is thought and its purpose is wrongly understood. It has been turned into a commercial tool of selling pots. That is why I taught the above girl using NON NETI Pot. And, also advised her to do other things than Neti, which are more critical.
random
Posted 2007-11-21 6:02 AM (#99722 - in reply to #99647)

purnayoga - 2007-11-20 3:46 AM

If you will describe your Neti process from craddle to grave then I will provide some additional feedback.

If you choose to do this please cover:

the mixture you are using and it's ratio.
where and when you are doing the neti process
from what source you have found neti information which you are folllowing
and any specifics about you and your health

the neti i use and the information i am following is in here: http://www.rhinohorn.com.au/userguide.htm

i think the pot fits 300ml, and the spoon that comes with it is for 2.7 grams. i use sea salt.

as well as the site above i have also read snippets on other websites and on wikipedia. as with all self research i have taken things from all things ive read..

ill paste the directions i use, and i will also mention which variations i make and which parts i have trouble with.

1. Pour one Rhino Spoon (= 2.7 gr.) cooking salt in the nasal cleanser. This should not be salt substitutes or iodized salt, but regular cooking salt.

2. Fill the cleanser with moderately warm water (37° C). Shake the cleanser so that the salt dissolves.
Salt and Water
Rinsing the Nose

Follow the next steps closely. Should there be a problem, read further for help with possible mistakes you may be making.

3. Place the tip of the spout in the nostril which feels most open - from the side, not from the front - and press lightly up into the nostril so that the nostril closes tightly around the tip.

4. Breathe through the mouth. It is not possible to breathe through the nose at the same time as water is running through it.

5. Bend slightly (not much) forward from the hips so your head is over the sink. Keep your chin tucked in towards the body. Do not stick your chin out.

6. Turn your head a little so you are looking to the side (NB: remember to keep your chin in). The water will flow in through one nostril and out through the other.

7. When about half of the water has run through, raise your head up and remove the cleanser. A little water will run out of your nose, and you can empty the nostrils by closing one at a time and blowing gently out. Do not blow so hard that it makes the ears pop.

8. Pour the remainder of the water through the other nostril now.

All Water Must Come Out

Make sure there is no water remaining in the nose and sinuses after nasal cleansing. It is not good for the mucus membranes to have water there for long periods - especially in the winter. There may be no water left inside, but check in case some remains:

9. Bend forward so the top of your head is hanging down. Turn your head to the side, close the lower nostril with one finger and blow gently, not hard, through the upper nostril. Hold some tissue paper in front of your nose.

10. Move your head to a horizontal position, face towards the floor and blow out of the same nostril. Blow a couple of times in each position. If necessary, you can repeat steps 9 and 10 several times.

11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 to the other side.

12. Stand up and blow a few times in and out of each nostril to «dry» the nose. (If you practise Yoga, Headstand, Sirsasana, and the breathing technique Bhastrika may be done after nasal cleansing).

the end bit, clearing the water, is the the bit where i have trouble with. i'm not too sure if it clears properly or not.

the main variation i have been making the past few days, one which seems to be working for me, regardless of whether its right or wrong, is that if a nostril isnt passing water, after trying on each side once or twice, i go back to the side that isnt flowin through (ie, nothing coming out of my left usually, so i take the neti to the right nostril), and i block the hole of the neti pot, and i blow out of my nostril. it is pretty much like im blocking my notsril cause no air is coming out of the right nostril, and as i blow a lot of stuff comes out of the left. and i mean heaps of stuff. when i stop blowing the water flows freely, usually for around 10 or so seconds and then stopping to blow again clear more stuff, but at times it just flows until i decide to stop it, or until water runs out.

its more often then not the right nostril that doesnt flow water out (that is the neti pot in the right nostril flowing water out of the left.)

for some reason when i try this on the opposite nostril, block the pot and still blow out, the nostril doesnt seem to be blocked and just air comes out, i probably put this down to technique?

anyhow since making the first post i do seem to be clearer. its not also not always the left nostril thats blocked (which is was the case for months), not its usually both noses pretty clear, maybe with a bit of congestion but nothing major (that can't be cleared with a good blowing of the nose)

as for specifics about my health, i'm a hay fever sufferer, although i must say since i started the neti potting, and about 1-2 weeks of horse radish/garlic tablets, i dont seem to be suffering much at all... i dont really have any health risks that i know of, dont smoke or anything... I have had a bit of a phlegmy cough lately... thats about all i can think of.

the first time i used the neti i sneezed and a pretty big (well bigger than any ive seen before) thick piece of phlegm came out. it was disgusting, but id much rather it out than in.
random
Posted 2007-11-21 6:04 AM (#99723 - in reply to #99601)

oh and im from australia........
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-21 8:18 AM (#99732 - in reply to #99723)

Thanks random.

as for specifics about my health, i'm a hay fever sufferer, although i must say since i started the neti potting, and about 1-2 weeks of horse radish/garlic tablets, i dont seem to be suffering much at all...

===> These are all symptomatic reliefs using some kind of medications. This effect can be achieved by many other ways such as taking an allopathic antihystemin injection.

i dont really have any health risks that i know of, dont smoke or anything... I have had a bit of a phlegmy cough lately... thats about all i can think of.

===> Not smoking is great. If you are happy with your condition, then be so it. If you wish to improve, you should 'Think Beyond Neti'.

random - 2007-11-21 6:04 AM

oh and im from australia........
okidoll
Posted 2007-12-19 12:20 AM (#100927 - in reply to #99601)

Sorry to raise up a month old post, but I've had a really bad cold for the last few days, and I've been using salt water (table salt) in warm water. I don't have a Neti pot but am using a stopper bulb like you clean your ears out with. I just haven't been well enough to get out to find a pot, and my sinus cavities are killing me. This seems to work great. It really does reduce the sinus pain. It even feels like the pain was in my teeth. I guess I could try a funnel?

Oprah had a show on the Neti pot Monday I think or Friday or last week. Dr. Oz had a woman demonstrate it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-19 10:10 AM (#100949 - in reply to #100927)

From what you have described, in your case, NETI must NOT be done.

okidoll - 2007-12-19 12:20 AM

Sorry to raise up a month old post, but I've had a really bad cold for the last few days, and I've been using salt water (table salt) in warm water. I don't have a Neti pot but am using a stopper bulb like you clean your ears out with. I just haven't been well enough to get out to find a pot, and my sinus cavities are killing me. This seems to work great. It really does reduce the sinus pain. It even feels like the pain was in my teeth. I guess I could try a funnel?

Oprah had a show on the Neti pot Monday I think or Friday or last week. Dr. Oz had a woman demonstrate it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)