YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

food, how much do we need?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

tubeseeker
Posted 2007-11-16 9:14 AM (#99529)
Subject: food, how much do we need?

in the wild, horses and cows only eat grass I believe, manatees eat only vegatation, birds could survive on only one type of seed, etc.....
in the animal kingdom many big, strong animals may eat lesss then 5 different foods their whole life. Do we humans really need to eat fruits, vegtable, nuts, grains, legumes, etc.... or could we survive on just one type of food, like apples?
just thoughts
seeker

Edited by tubeseeker 2007-11-16 9:16 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-11-16 10:09 AM (#99535 - in reply to #99529)
Subject: RE: food, how much do we need?

Expert Yogi

Humans are probably overpopulating the earth because of our brilliant omnivorous abilities. Eating and surviving on only one thing is probably very possible, but a) not a brilliant move for the species in evolutionary terms (think of what is happening to the pandas, for example) and b) it would only be surviving. My youngest brother spent a significant amount of time in his toddlerhood eating only skim cow's milk and bananas due to some sort of bowel disorder and he is pretty much fine at 45 or so. Then there are those who think that staying very thin will lengthen their lives - I forget what they call their movement, but it now appears a good number of them are actually anorexic. And there are the advanced yogis/spiritual people who live on air and sunshine. I remain seriously skeptical about those people. Anyway, it will be an interesting discussion, I'm sure!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-16 11:25 AM (#99552 - in reply to #99529)

1. Very good quality milk is sufficient for a person with Real Yogic Life Style.

2. Bananas are extremely good and valuable addition to 1. above.

3. However, that depends on whether a person is a Real Yogi (that means his whole life is surrounding on the concept of Meditation, not as defined in Mindful ness, Living in the present time, and such, but actually practicing full time Yoga stuff. ) and whether they are leading that life style.

4. As a part of 3. , it shall depend on whether the mind of a person has already reached that state. Otherwise, think of meat and eat fruits, think of women and practice celibacy, etc. etc. You know what I mean.

5. Also, it depends on what the goal is. If the goal is to get a perfect body, then only milk is not enough. Perfected Yogis do NOT always have Perfect Bodies.

6. And, living on Air and water is a Siddhi, it is NOT a normal thing. And, there are rare occurences of such Yogis. And, even the Yogis who have such a siddhi do not practice it that way in order to mingle with society.

Edited by kulkarnn 2007-11-16 11:27 AM
SCThornley
Posted 2007-11-16 2:04 PM (#99564 - in reply to #99529)

we can certainly live on less, and in an overflowing bounty of never ending food and clean water, how in the world could you want?

I'm over joyed with the free time I have to contemplate
Cyndi
Posted 2007-11-16 10:42 PM (#99575 - in reply to #99529)

Expert Yogi

tubeseeker - 2007-11-16 9:14 AM

in the wild, horses and cows only eat grass I believe, manatees eat only vegatation, birds could survive on only one type of seed, etc.....
in the animal kingdom many big, strong animals may eat lesss then 5 different foods their whole life. Do we humans really need to eat fruits, vegtable, nuts, grains, legumes, etc.... or could we survive on just one type of food, like apples?
just thoughts
seeker

Actually, that is not exactly true. Animals in captivity eat these things. In the wild, believe me there are so many things that animals eat. Unfortunately, most animals are not wild anymore, they eat what they are given and what they can get by on and survive...by human interference. Most wild animals eat berries, insects and a a variety of other leaves that have a purpose and meaning for them to survive.

In today's world....all wild animals are almost extint...yes, all of them. The rate that humans are consuming the earth, the pollution, lack of forested areas...alot of animals will be gone. In fact, it's already happening now at a very alarming and most disturbing rate. Almost, there is really no such thing as wild for an animal anymore. It really sucks too!! Look at all the animals that have health issues these days?? Nothing is pure and sacred where they are concerned.

As for humans and food....I don't think we require that much as far as quantity goes, However, "quality" is better word for how I feel about the subject. I think a healthy diet is one with a variety of healthy foods - 95%, then the other 5 % is for all the junk food and eating on the road/on the go, when healthy is not an option or when we really want to eat a "sinful" dessert....or that Thanksforviging feast that we are all fixin' to endure. I'm not eatin turkey this year...only cornbread dressing, gravy with lots of cranberry sauce. Then there is Christmas....a month later and I don't do Christmas food...except I eat a lot of peppermint bark and healthy christmasy stuff. There are so many healthy ways to eat Christmas. Thanksgiving is really already a healthy feast...at least mine is. The bad thing about thanksgiving is that it tastes so good that its hard to not OVER EAT. My cornbread dressing from the South is the very best and totally DIVINE.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-11-16 10:43 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)