YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

finally took an Iyengar class
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-10-30 6:53 PM (#98877)
Subject: finally took an Iyengar class

But unfortunately I doubt I'll be going back to that studio. Turns out it's on the verge of closing. The owner and founding teacher (a junior intermediate III level according to the website) doesn't even teach there anymore. I had known about this studio for about 2 years now, but had never gotten there before this morning. Too bad I had waited that long.

Anyhow, it was a beginner level class, which was the only class that worked with my schedule to attend. Which was fine, because even with the other yoga experience I have, I figured I couldn't go wrong trying things out from the bottom up. But I don't know, something just didn't gel there for me. Maybe it was the fact that the teacher never asked if I had any injuries or previous conditions. He did ask if I had yoga experience, which I said I did, though didn't give any details about until after the class was over. Is that not something that's done in Iyengar classes (asking about conditions, etc.)? I figured if anywhere, there would be the place that would be the most mindful of my issues. Maybe I expected too much. It's possible.

As for the practice itself, it really was beginner and quite basic, and that was fine. Tadasana, Virabhadrasa I, Trikonasana, Parsvakonasana, Prasarita Padottanasana, Sirsasana with blocks, Halasana with feet on the wall, Salamba Sarvangasana on three blankets but feet in the air, Setu Bandhasana on a block, Savasana on blocks as well. I think that's it. It was only an hour. So my question to all who know, is this typical of a beginner's class? There were two others in the class who seemed to be regulars, and then only me.

Interesting, my hips felt like they needed opening after the class, now that I think about it. I guess pigeon pose or any other sort of hip-opener is not part of the beginner curriculum? I don't know, I just felt I needed that to level me out. Maybe I will go back, try it again, but with a different teacher if I can get the schedule to work out. We'll see.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
scotlfs
Posted 2007-10-30 10:13 PM (#98881 - in reply to #98877)
Subject: RE: finally took an Iyengar class

OrangeMat,
Well from a beginner's persepctive, which I most certainly have, I don't think pigeon is exactly a beginners's pose. I just happen to know what that pose is, because I started using it for stretching when forward splits weren't enough to stretch my quads. (edit: A martial arts friend showed it to me, and I didn't know it was yoga at the time). I also don't feel it is as much of a hip opener as some other techniques which I cannot name, but I did one or two in the first class.

Anyway, I might be way off since I have had a grand total of yoga 1 class now, but that's how I see it.

Too bad about the school closing on you, hopefully you can find another. Luckily there is enough yoga studios/instructors here that if I really like it, and the more I think about it the more I do like it, that I can find someplace to fit it in if I REALLY had to. Hopefully I will like this class a lot because it is extraordinarily convenient.

Scot McPherson

Edited by scotlfs 2007-10-30 10:36 PM

Posted 2007-10-30 10:44 PM (#98884 - in reply to #98877)
Subject: RE: finally took an Iyengar cl

was the teacher iyengar certified?
perhaps since you said you had previous yoga experience, the teacher assumed you knew how to navigate any tender areas.

there are many hip openers in the beginning iyengar curriculum. however, in one class (especially in a one hour class) there isn't time to address every movement in the body.
i find those standing poses you mentioned to be quite hip opening.

it is typical to do many standing poses.
what i do find peculiar is the inclusion of headstand in a beginners class.

additionally, in the iyengar method, students are expected to be doing the bulk of their practicing at home (whether that actually happens or not is another story), so perhaps the class was aimed at something other than hip-opening.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-31 10:20 AM (#98901 - in reply to #98884)
Subject: RE: finally took an Iyengar cl

Expert Yogi

OM - not asking about injury may have been an oversight. I am guilty of that, especially in a one hour class where I really just want to get moving. It is not much time. We typically don't do headstand with pure beginners, but the teacher may know this as an advanced or continuing group. Yep, standing poses for hip opening and no pigeon. I have heard senior teachers discuss this pose and they are adamant that having all the body weight on a non-active bent knee is very unsafe for knees.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-31 12:54 PM (#98907 - in reply to #98877)

IMHO: To understand a particular style, teacher and teaching one has to spend a considerable time with these three. Of course, that depends on the background of a student also. However, one should give enough time and effort before giving a final analysis.

Actually, a particular teacher of a particular style, or no style, is not always an example of that style or that no style.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-10-31 3:27 PM (#98913 - in reply to #98907)

kulkarnn - 2007-10-31 12:54 PM IMHO: To understand a particular style, teacher and teaching one has to spend a considerable time with these three. Of course, that depends on the background of a student also. However, one should give enough time and effort before giving a final analysis. Actually, a particular teacher of a particular style, or no style, is not always an example of that style or that no style.

That's my viewpoint as well, which is why I had been holding off going to this studio in the first place. While I believe it's good to experience many different styles, for me, I'd prefer to be very clear and well-versed with one style of yoga before going to investigate another.

I had been practicing at my first teacher's studio for at least two years before I had ever ventured out to another studio. That was an Integral studio, my teacher's original background, so that made sense to me, to see where she had come from. I took a couple of asana classes there, as well asĀ spent some time in the presence of theĀ guru there for lectures during my training last year.

And now that I've been practicing at the Anusara studio for about nine months, I decided to sample a bit of Iyengar, just to see the origins of that style. There are about a half a dozen other studios in my area, all different styles (ashtanga, heated vinyasa, bikram, you name it). I'd much prefer to continue in that investigation, but as I said, the original teacher of this Iyengar studio doesn't teach there anymore. The teacher I took class with, I get the feeling he isn't a certified teacher of Iyengar, in spite of his 20+ years of experience. I'm sure I'll give it at least one more shot, and hopefully in a different level class. Maybe I'll even track that original teacher down, since she was the one I had first gotten recommendations for.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)