YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What should I expect?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

scotlfs
Posted 2007-10-29 1:06 AM (#98782)
Subject: What should I expect?

Ok, so now that I have gone through my first class, which one can read about at http://yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25933&posts=15 if they really want to, what should I expect? I know that each teacher is different, but I really don't have yoga experience. I believe I am a bit more flexible than a teacher was expecting from a newcomer, so I am not sure where it will go. I don't know the first thing about yoga really, and I would like to learn more. I know there are book one can read, and I am sure I will pick one or more up as continue if I continue, but what can I expect as a new comer for the first few weeks or months?

Thanks for the help as always,
Scot McPherson

Edited by scotlfs 2007-10-29 1:06 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-10-29 6:48 AM (#98788 - in reply to #98782)
Subject: RE: What should I expect?

Honestly, everyone's experiences are different, and I think that relates directly to their level of expectations. This isn't a vacuous standard reply I'm giving you, because Yoga is very much about how one deals with their expectations of things, as well as their reactions to things. When I first started training clients privately (fitness training, mind you), I would tell them to try to not take stock of their progress for at least six weeks, to just immerse themselves in the process and sensations of the effort and movement they were experiencing. Usually that advice fell on deaf ears and they'd move on to other more traditional minded trainers (go for the burn!). Needless to say, now that I'm teaching yoga, my audience is much more receptive to this sort of advice.

Take more classes, notice how you feel about them, but try not to judge. That in itself is the practice of Yoga. Hopefully you'll find a teacher (situation, etc.) that will make you feel happy. That too is the practice of Yoga. Good luck, and enjoy the ride!

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-10-29 6:51 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-10-29 10:17 AM (#98795 - in reply to #98782)

Expert Yogi

Scot - this is a lunch hour class, right? Is it in your workplace? I ask because a lunch hour in-office/job site class will generally be different from a studio/gym class in that it would focus on stretching out desk/work related kinks.

One of the main themes of Iyengar yoga is aligning the body and bringing the muscles, bones etc. into the optimal alignment so that when you move into the pose, everything is balanced and there is awareness everywhere, not just in the moving part. For example, some folks are great at forward bends and can touch the floor with no effort at all from standing. They relax their upper bodies, soften the backs of the legs and flop forward in a "rag doll" manner and feel very relaxed and happy there. They will make "progress" in this pose only by stretching the connective tissues in the backs of the legs and lower back and very possibly one day put their back "out" by coming out of the pose without proper awareness. In Iyengar yoga, we teach using the legs strongly for these poses. You should be taught how to place the feet well and lift the arches, how to engage the quads by "lifting the kneecaps", and how to lift the upper body and lengthen forward into the pose. In the beginning, the instructions should be fairly general, but over time (years...) the details go deeper and at some point you literally will be told how to move your baby toe in the pose

Enjoy your class and tell us more about how it goes!

Posted 2007-10-29 12:17 PM (#98801 - in reply to #98782)

Based on your previous posts Scott you may likely learn Yoga is not stretching. You may learn it is not about flexibiity of body but rather flexibility of mind and stability of body (and mind too!).

There's really no point to expectation around a Yoga practice. It might be prudent to simply opt for the experience however it might deliver itself, with no superimposing by your rational mind whatsoever.

As a teacher I'm not concerned about how flexible my students are or are not. I simply take that as it comes. I'm not surprised nor do I make a big deal about students who are supple or those who are stiff. Both may encounter Yoga fully and equally. If your teacher was surprised by your flexibility that is fine. But move along from it. Don't dwell on it. Otherwise you're likely to receive only frustration to process. And while that is a very good thing to bubble up for processing you may not be "expecting" to have to process such a thing.

As the teacher begins to see the student more often, as the student begins to receive the teachings, as the student begins to accept the teacher and commit to their own path and practice then the practice itself (in class and out) will change. The teacher will likely alter what you do, ask more (OR LESS) of you depending on how they assess you as a being, a soul, a spirit, a lump of bendy flesh. So you can expect more (or less) as you progress.

I tell student that some of them have the volume of their lives too high and others have the volume too low. My job is to encourage those with high volumes to lower their "noise" AND to encourage those with no volume to turn it up.

Over the next few weeks if you have the opportunity to try other teachers in the same venue or lineage, do so. You will, over time, find the teacher(s) that most speak to you.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-10-29 12:20 PM
scotlfs
Posted 2007-10-29 5:44 PM (#98816 - in reply to #98782)

I hope no one will take this the wrong way, because it is not meant to be taken any other way except as honest.

I "am" taking yoga right now for flexibility training, even if that isn't yoga's primary focus. Does that mean I am throwing the rest out with the garbage? For heaven's sake no, its just not part of the "why".

Does this make it wrong?

Posted 2007-10-29 6:31 PM (#98820 - in reply to #98816)

There is no primary yoga focus. There is only your primary focus. Yoga is a tool. If you choose to use it to improve your flexibility, great. Although that is your current interest, yoga is valuable on many different levels. As you get into it, your interests may or may not change; yoga has the ability to do a variety of different things. Yoga is similiar to martial arts. Just as you can use martial arts to get in shape, to learn how to defend yourself, to refine your focus and reaction speed, to learn better self discipline, or whatever goal or combination of goals you currently have, you can also use yoga for a variety of different purposes depending on your current needs.

Edited by jimg 2007-10-29 6:34 PM
tourist
Posted 2007-10-29 7:05 PM (#98823 - in reply to #98816)

Expert Yogi

Scot - BKS Iyengar (famous yogi, wrote the "bible" of yoga and still alive and teaching) used yoga for health and fitness when he began. It is a perfectly reasonable and logical goal to start with and I don't think anyone would judge you there. But be clear that, even talking just the body, asana will do more than increase flexibility. And in Iyengar yoga you will be asked to build strength, stamina and stability as well as flexibility. I don't think I have known anyone who has lost flexibility with Iyengar yoga, but some have been surprised that their flexibility does not make them a "star" pupil. In an Iyengar yoga pose we are asked to corral and harness all the cells of the body and bring them into their utmost expression of the pose.

I don't know about the other teachers here, but I would be interested in having you in my class!

Posted 2007-10-30 1:43 AM (#98839 - in reply to #98823)

NO! I want him in my class.
scotlfs
Posted 2007-10-30 7:36 AM (#98847 - in reply to #98839)

Ha Ha !!

You guys are so full of it.
Barney
Posted 2007-10-30 8:38 AM (#98849 - in reply to #98782)

Scott,

Good to see all discussions. It is best to know that Yoga develops a person to a integrated personality as a end result. I was also a starter when I started the yoga learning. Similarly anyone who wish to start Yoga can by all means do the same following the basic tenets described as essential. As you tread through the path over the years , you experience it. When I say an integrated personality, it means with Physical and Mental together. You can continue doing the same learning from a good teacher(there is a thread of discussion for a Good teacher..... in this forum too...). Best Wishes...
tourist
Posted 2007-10-30 6:39 PM (#98875 - in reply to #98847)

Expert Yogi

No, seriously, Scot. Martial arts folks are very interesting to have in class. Their balance of strength and flexibility is great, typically, and they bring a different perspective to the practice. So if you are ever in western Canada...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)