YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Period problems- really bad!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

angryunclemarti
Posted 2007-10-28 9:30 PM (#98779)
Subject: Period problems- really bad!

Ok, so I read somewhere on this site something that had to do with periods, and that someone here has a lot of knowledge about them, so maybe someone can help me out. I've been having periods that don't stop- they'll go on long past a week, stop for a day or two, and then start up again full charge. It really really sucks, and I also have really really bad acne which I usually don't have. I have kind of bad skin, but not this bad. I'm 23 and way beyond the age of having acne and irregular periods, and I've never not had a period- I've always had more than one a month, and a couple years back, I had one that lasted for over a month straight. I've never been to an obgyn nor am I willing to go. I don't know if anyone here could help me out or knows anything that I don't about what is happening to me. I cannot and will not go to a doctor about this, so if I'm dying, I'd like to know just so I know, not that I'd go to the doctor even then. I just find it really humiliating and embarassing and cannot imagine anyone looking at me down there and living through that, and therefore, I cannot go to a doctor unless they can find out what's wrong without me having to take any clothes off. If anyone has any knowledge about what causes too many periods, what I could be doing differently, or obviously, since this is a yoga site, how that could maybe help me, I would be more than appreciative. Also, I'm 6'0" and thin- I don't know if that info helps at all, but just in case, there it is. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-28 10:44 PM (#98780 - in reply to #98779)
Subject: RE: Period problems- really bad!

Gee. You have put too many conditions on yourself. You do not wish to go to doctor but you want some help from us. This is the help I can give:

- advice: really really take an opinion from Gynaecologist, if possible a woman one. If she also does Yoga, that is even better. You may to find such a person by searching, perhaps.

- suggestion: meet experienced yoga teacher and health teacher and take their opinion.

- you shall have to consider your life style entirely perhaps to get what you want.

Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-29 7:12 AM (#98789 - in reply to #98780)

You MUST go see a doctor. Irratic, irregular, abnormal periods can be caused by a huge array of problems, some life threatening. Sorry to be harsh but do you really want to risk putting your life at risk rather than overcome the embarrasment of having to disrobe in front of someone who's seen so many naked bodies that they barely register them any more? In my experience, most doctors are very aware of the embarrasment factor and treat you with the utmost respect regarding the indignity of it all.

Ok, lecture over!

Most menstrual issues are caused by stress, statistically speaking so this may not be anything to worry about, HOWEVER, you DO need to get checked out.

The first tests a doctor would do would be from a simple blood test without any physical exam normally (unless they suspect something critically wrong with you), especially as the acne may very well indicate a hormone imbalance.

Any physical exam is done with minimal disrobing, occurs behind a screen and there's often a blanket over your hips/waist to provide a psychological barrier between you and the doctor. Much of the exam involves pressing on your stomach are through your clothes and only a little is done as an internal. Detailed pelic exams may include ultrasound whereby gel is placed on your stomach and a sensor pressed against it. Frankly however, the only way most gynae issues can be ruled out is via very minor surgery whereby a small camera is inserted into your womb under general anaesthesia. That is, you would be out cold and dreaming.

Regards,

Fiona

Edited by Orbilia 2007-10-29 7:31 AM
joscmt
Posted 2007-11-02 8:43 AM (#98973 - in reply to #98779)
Subject: RE: Period problems- really ba

I'm going to ditto everyone here and say get to a gyno. Trust me, I was mortified the first time I went (and I was much younger).. I closed my eyes and just did it. Once it was over, it was no big deal at all. Remember that docs have been around the block- they know women don't like pelvic exams and most are really, really kind and gentle especially if they know you've never been before. Ask some friends for references.. or call around. If you tell them this is your first visit, most will walk/talk you through every single step of the process. Don't take advice on these boards for something that could be a serious medical condition.....

Edited by joscmt 2007-11-02 8:44 AM
Butterfly71
Posted 2008-01-05 7:52 AM (#101515 - in reply to #98779)

Yes I agree with everyone else. You need to see a gyn who is compassionate and patient. Your condition could be something that is easily treated and why go through all of this suffering? Health professionals do not see the naked body the same way you do. For them they are simply focusing on their job and trying to heal you. Also, please explore second chakra issues, If you are interested I could post a link to some good questions and exercises for this area. The second chakra corresponds to the sexual organs, creativity, creation (not just having a baby). Also to explore why you don't want someone to examine you and how you perceive your body. I wish you good luck and health.

Posted 2008-01-06 7:40 AM (#101533 - in reply to #98779)
Subject: RE: Period problems- really ba

I was 19 the first time I went to a gynaecologist, but he was very nice, at first I was scared, but he talked to me all the time; no embarrassing pauses, or anything. He knew I preferred to go to his female colleague but she was ill that day (or something like that so tat I had to go to this man's office). Anyway, it was not as bad as I thought it would be.
I got a prescription for a birth-control pill which took away my period pains in only a week, and he gave me some homeopathic drops to put in my water that got rid of my acne.
It's worth a try!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)