YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A passion for life
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

springroll
Posted 2007-10-21 8:53 AM (#98345)
Subject: A passion for life

If there is one regret that I have in life, a regret that would be pacing my mind on the death bed in my final moments, it is probably my lack of passion and motivation in life. Its this lack of exuberance that I have been in a social cacoon for much of my life and not be able to successfully persue any of my goals due to a stagnating sluggishness that has plagued my life.
I’ve been interested in many hobbies, from music, to art to writing, only to lose my interest mainly due to a lack of willpower. Sometimes I find it hard to connect with others, mainly because I can’t be bothered, although Im sure shyness has much to do with it- A consequence of being in a social cocoon. It has also affected my buddhist practice which is an important part of my life. I can be too lazy without thinking much of the consequences
Alot of the time, I find myself situated on a couch or the bed, surfing the internet or watching tv, forever dwelling in my comfort zone, which of course spans the size of a pinhead.
Now I don’t know how to approach this problem, which is why I’ve come to ask for some help. How does one become more disciplined/passionate/motivated and inspired to live my life, the way I want to and not because I am secluded, lazy or shy.

All comments are welcome.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-10-21 12:23 PM (#98353 - in reply to #98345)
Subject: RE: A passion for life

I have lack of motivation sometimes, but lately I've been much more productive. I have to keep that good feeling of accomplishment in my mind when I'm slowing down on a project. I have to remind myself constantly how good it will feel to have another finished project. As for my yoga practice I have to remind myself how much better I'll feel afterward. And then afterward, I have to keep reminding myself I feel so much better now because I was able to get on my mat and practice. I always have to keep my mind focused on the positive, and then break through the inertia. The last time I couldn't motivate myself to do anything, I said at least go for a walk. I could make myself do that, and then I felt much better, and was able to move on to something else.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-21 12:44 PM (#98359 - in reply to #98345)

Expert Yogi

springroll - I have spent years in a similar mind/emotional state to what you describe. As bstqltmkr says, one of the simplest and effective things is to go to "at least do...xyz" whether that is going for a walk, rolling out your yoga mat or meditation seat, washing the dishes or whatever. For me, it is usually laundry Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-21 5:55 PM (#98368 - in reply to #98345)

Let me give you step number 1. First do that for 3 months min. And, then we go to anything else from my side.

Step1: Get rid of the TV completely.

Posted 2007-10-24 3:52 PM (#98578 - in reply to #98368)

kulkarnn - 2007-10-21 2:55 PM

Let me give you step number 1. First do that for 3 months min. And, then we go to anything else from my side.

Step1: Get rid of the TV completely.

ABSOLUTELY!

We stopped TV about 15 years ago because we thought that it was a negative influence on our young daughters. Without TV, we have more time, are all happier, healthier, more creative and have more joy in life. TV dulls the mind and saps your energy. TV is the opiate of the masses!
ollie
Posted 2007-10-26 2:52 PM (#98704 - in reply to #98345)

I sometimes get depressed (not in the clinical sense) when I look at my life and found that I've accomplished nothing; I've excelled at nothing, and I am good at nothing.

It seems as if I spend too much time screwing around and goofing off.

But, someone who HAS accomplished a great deal (author Kurt Vonnegut, who died this year) said: "I am convinced that we were put on this Earth to "fart around".

That usually makes me feel better.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-10-26 5:57 PM (#98712 - in reply to #98704)

And so it goes.

In my training as a yoga teacher (as well as a yoga student) I learned that we, as human beings, tend to equate our sense of perceived success in life by our quantified accomplishments. Doingness is valued much higher than beingness. Or rather, beingness isn't really valued much at all, on its own. And even though I know that, I still forget and fall into that trap, and the depression and lethargy comes. It was really bad about 5 years ago, the depression, that is. Don't know if it was clinical; never got enough initiative to find out.

Removing television from my life has been part of my practice of pratyahara. It's incomplete, however, because I still spend way too many hours on the internet. I'm best when I'm doing some sort of movement (yoga, walking, running, etc.), and preferably out in nature. But as I said, life gets in the way and I forget. I get sucked back into thinking that because I didn't DO anything today, my life wasn't of any value today. My rationale for still spending so much time on the computer is by coming to forums like this one, I tend to remember. There's strength to be gained by sharing in a community. Would be better if it weren't a virtual community, but hey, baby steps.

Kilgore Trout, what a guy.

AKBrooker1
Posted 2007-10-27 12:02 AM (#98733 - in reply to #98345)

To maybe over-simplify one answer to your perceived problem, a quote by William James; "If you want a quality, act as if you already had it." I have no idea who William James is but I have often thought this quote is the equivalent of using props in a yoga class. As sometimes your body has to feel what is possible to know how to get there, maybe your psyche has to pretend to have a quality so that it knows what it feels like to actually have it. Once knowing--and practicing--it, it begins to become our nature.
Ram
Posted 2007-12-01 4:00 PM (#100185 - in reply to #98345)

I work as an RN in the hospital. I have been with many people who have died. I also love to comptemplate death. Its a very healthy practise and I encourage others to do so.

I doubt very much it will matter what kinds of goals you accomplished when and if you manage to make it on a "death bed". I think what might matter more is your readiness to transition to other planes of existance. If you have lived your life through your senses and worshipped your physical body your going to go out screaming. If your comfortable and you have already transitioned to your own consciousness to some degree you will accept death more and mabe even invite it. The transition to death can be a beautiful time filled with a lot of love.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)