YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Travelling Advice and Anything
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-25 10:50 AM (#98616 - in reply to #98253)
Subject: RE: Travelling Advice and Anything

A thought occurs to me that might back all the above somewhat clearer, a list of the sequence of events!

- Arrive at airport
- Print off e-ticket if necessary
- Find appropriate check-in desk
- Check-in your hold luggage
- Need to provide tickets, passport, visa.
- Need to confirm who you are travelling with
- Need to confirm you packed your bags yourself
- Need to confirm you're not carrying anything for anyone else
- Will get baggage weight and labelled
- Will get fined if overweight/size or asked to junk items until within weight.
- Will get luggage receipt, often stuck onto your ticket stub.
- Will get seat numbers (if not already done when buying the tickets). May be able to choose.
- Will get boarding card(s).
- Use loo, eat, whatever as some airports have this boarding side but not check-in side of the barriers, others do it the other way on!
- Go through security
- Need to provide passport, tickets, visa
- Need to have hand luggage fluid and electronics in a clear plastic bag
- Need to take shoes off in some airports
- Place hand luggage, plastic bag, shoes on provided plastic tray
- Get contents of tray X-rayed
- Pass under metal detector arch
- Remove metal objects from your person
- Go under arch again, praying you're clear this time as that Alsation looks hungry
- Put all your belongings back together
- Find a view screen with the departure information on it. Confirm the gate number for your flight and where to find the gate.
- Relax until the flight is called
- Go to the departure lounge for that gate
- Will be called by seat number range to board
- Need tickets, passport, boarding card, visa
- Board.
- Find seats, get out book, etc, and stow hand luggage in the overhead lockers
- Sit down/stand up repeated times to allow other passengers to get into their seats
- Latch seat belt, find out it's too short, die of embarrasment asking for the extension piece
- Make sure seat is fully upright.
- Die a thousand deaths waiting for the take-off slot :-)
- Get served drink, food, ear-phones, duty free, some free, some paid for.
- Travel
- Get ready for landing
- Put seat back into upright position
- Makes sure safety belt is latched
- Find stomach as that's still at 30,000 feet when you're at 20,000
- After landing
- Wait until told to leave the aircraft
- Use steps, portable corridor or hopper bus to get to the terminus
- Go through security, usually after a five mile hike through the terminus
- Will need passport, tickets, visa, patience of a saint
- Will get quizzed on purpose of visit etc.
- Use overhead screens to determine which carousel your luggage will pop up on
- Die of boredom
- Wonder what that funny smell is
- Wonder if your luggage is now in Frankfurt
- Die of relief when you finally spot your bags
- Get elbowed out of the way as you try to grab it
- Finally succeed in grabbing your bags on their 12th circuit
- Swear as you notice one wheel's been snapped off in transit
- USUALLY ARRIVAL BACK IN YOUR COUNTRY ONLY :
- Go through customs, picking the correct channel,
- May get stopped and questioned in Green, will be in Red.
- May need to pay tax / dump forbidden goods
- Leave airport wondering why the hell you ever left home in the first place until you get pinched on the arse by some hot totty for the first time in Rome

Fee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-25 5:03 PM (#98641 - in reply to #98616)

Expert Yogi

Fee, I think you and I must be soul sisters!!

Okay, I need some time to absorb all this....it's just too much....funny, funny,
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-25 11:29 PM (#98662 - in reply to #98253)
Subject: RE: Travelling Advice and Anyt

I think one of the huge plusses for you will be that you will be with family. That makes SUCH a big difference. I have to say this though... I LOVE ROME!! Now, I've had some sketchy experiences there... but I tell ya.. it's a beautiful city. So is Venice. Naples I could have left behind.. but the surrounding area is gorgeous.
Creepy man story in Rome- I was 19 (or 20) and travelling with my friend. We hopped on a bus from our hostel to the Vatican (which will take your breathe away even if you aren't Catholic)... it was standing room only and we were both wearing dresses.. modest dresses, but dresses nonetheless. Well, the guy standing next to my friend kept trying to scoot her dress up her leg pretending that he was doing nothing. I was standing and holding the vertical pole in the bus. A nasty, sweaty, older man was standing next to me. No biggie- he was holding the overhead bars and besides a good smelly armpit- was ok. Then, he grabbed the bar with his other hand so he was straddling me and started to grind his groin all around me.. he was breathing hard and sweaty. I just gripped the pole tighter until I couldn't take it anymore and threw him a fast, hard elbow to his big gut! I yelled "Stop it" as loud as I could in Italian... well, then the old ladies on the bus took over for me and it became a little mini-riot. We just zoomed off the bus as soon as we could and walked the rest of the way!!
I was also walking through Brindisi to the port to catch a ferry to Greece when I was 15.. some guy grabbed the back of my head and messed with my hair...
and the list goes on... and I was a shy young-un who didn't instigate any of this.... and I even look Italian! I tell you though, with my Italian cousins, I've never, ever had a problem!
It's just a matter of being smart- the same way you would be if you were hanging around NYC or another big city.
You're going to have the best time!! While you are travelling up to Venice, try to get across the country and travel up the Adriatic..it's a lot less touristy and the coast is so beautiful!
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-26 5:40 AM (#98674 - in reply to #98662)

*LOL* Oh I do so love those Italian Mommas!

Fee
tweeva
Posted 2007-10-26 6:18 AM (#98675 - in reply to #98616)

Veteran

Please note that a lot of airports are currently secured at their entrances as well. So you actually have to go through the security screening procedure twice: once when entering the airport, and once again before boarding.
This is especially true, the nearer you get to the middle east. I don't know about Rome.
Tw
tourist
Posted 2007-10-26 10:22 AM (#98682 - in reply to #98675)

Expert Yogi

My DD just got back from Italy and didn't say anything about extreme security. She also brought back wine, which I haven't got yet. No stories about scary men, but she probably had her brand new DH pretty close at all times, and she does look Italian-ish Her worst travel story was buying long distance phone cards that wouldn't work - $20 or so lost The good news - wine under $2 a bottle all the time and always good
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-26 10:36 AM (#98684 - in reply to #98682)

I use the following web site for buying phone cards. Use their comparison widget and they'll give you a list of suitable cards, best value first. The details get e-mailed to you and to your mobile (if you want that) after you pay by card.

http://www.planetphonecards.com

Oh, and don't forget to top-up your mobile before you go if you're on pay as you go. My provider lets me text for top-up as I've registered a card with them.

Fee
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-26 10:39 AM (#98685 - in reply to #98253)

After all that serious stuff, I wanted to send you a little something from that gorgeous Italian Patrizio Buanne to get you in the mood. It won't attach (too big?). Send me your e-mail in a PM and I'll mail it to you.

Otherwise, see his web-site :

http://www.patriziobuanne.com/site.php

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-10-26 10:47 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-26 11:07 AM (#98689 - in reply to #98685)

Expert Yogi

Orbilia - 2007-10-26 10:39 AM

After all that serious stuff, I wanted to send you a little something from that gorgeous Italian Patrizio Buanne to get you in the mood. It won't attach (too big?). Send me your e-mail in a PM and I'll mail it to you.

Oh yea, Oooh Baby, baby...he's a cutie. I'm supposed to be a married woman. Italy is going to be a dangerous territory for me,

Hey Fee,

Just click on my email address on the little toggle below each one of my post. You should be able to send it right on over. Thanks

Edited by Cyndi 2007-10-26 11:09 AM

Posted 2007-10-26 6:00 PM (#98713 - in reply to #98253)

loose teas, honey, wine, etc should be able to come and go fine on the checked baggage. but don't be surprised if it's not in your luggage once you get back--as i said before, theft happens. it's not a security issue at that point, it's simply the issue that your bag isn't locked (security reasons), and people snatch things. one of my dear friends travels very frequently, and he said he ships everything that he wants to keep home, because anything in the checked luggage that is "cool" is often gone once he gets where he's going. bummer, but it happens.

as for carry on stuff, it has to be a certain size (it's pretty standardized across all air ports--for example to get carry on lotion into the carry on, it had to be a certain size in UK, DK, NZ, France, and the US. so, as long as you know what size that is, then you're good to go.

carry-on food stuffs that are home made will have to be dumped before getting into a country (going through customs), but foodstuffs that are packaged and opened most likely will not. this has been my experience in various countries. i found that a lot of my unusual, non-packaged carry-on dry goods were heavily questioned because of the concern that they might be drugs, contraband of some sort, or simply seeds or some sort of plant/mold material that could harm the ecosystem of the country to which i was traveling. for example, US customs let me carry on a small amount of herbal toothpowder that was home made, but NZ made me dump it because it couldnt' be identified or verified.

which was fine, because i found vicco when i got there.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-26 7:00 PM (#98719 - in reply to #98713)

Expert Yogi

When I went to Eastern Canada a few years ago, I packed horrible "power gel" energy goo (in it's own foil packaging) and soy protein powder in little foil pouches and stuck them all inside a big Nalgene bottle. I saw security looking at it a bit strangely and then realized how it probably looked I'll bet if it was an international flight I would have had to dump it all. And here's a separate tip from that journey - do NOT mix protein powder with water! Bleahhhhh!
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-17 10:57 AM (#100839 - in reply to #98719)

Expert Yogi

Hey guys...well, it's getting to be about that time. I've backed out of this trip twice and now I'm back on again. I guess I should seeing as how my plane ticket is NON-refundable!! The stress level has been extremely high due to Philadelphia woes and just making it all happen. However, I'm in my packing mode now, I've deleted holiday stuff from the schedule and I've simplified even more than normal....so, it looks promising. I think I'm going to use Zoebird's packing list...but, ZB, please update this list...they have snow in Italy right now and its extremely cold. I think I need some more clothes to wear, and some boots too
Orbilia
Posted 2007-12-17 11:04 AM (#100841 - in reply to #100839)

I had been wondering if you had dumped your hubby in favour of some Italian Stallion and run away from home given how long it's been!

Yep, take layers for sure. When I was in Italy, it was March. Rome was delightfully pleasant but just an hour's train journey north in the foothills of the Alps, there was a perishingly cold wind.

Bon Voyage

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-12-17 11:06 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-17 11:12 AM (#100843 - in reply to #100841)

Expert Yogi

Fee, you have no idea,
Orbilia
Posted 2007-12-17 11:18 AM (#100844 - in reply to #100843)

World getting a bit much Cyndi?

Altogether now.... deep breath.... Om..... Om..... Om!

Alternatively, here's a large glass of vino Italiano!

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-17 2:04 PM (#100852 - in reply to #100841)

I could not understand this sentence. If possible, I would like to, if not I can manage not knowing it.

Orbilia - 2007-12-17 11:04 AM
I had been wondering if you had dumped your hubby in favour of some Italian Stallion and run away from home given how long it's been!
Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-17 2:51 PM (#100856 - in reply to #100852)

Expert Yogi

NB, this is a girl's talk. It's absolutely best that you remain un-knowing this time. Trust me, everything's gonna be okay...eventually, when all this karmic BS plays itself OUT!!

Meanwhile, I'll refrain from Fee's tempting advice...I do love those Italian Stallions though!!! They're such beautiful horses,
joscmt
Posted 2007-12-17 2:57 PM (#100858 - in reply to #98253)

yeah, Neel, you might want to stay away from that one! They are nice horses tho'!!

I was just wondering today if you had left yet, I couldn't remember the date you are taking off...
Orbilia
Posted 2007-12-18 5:20 AM (#100900 - in reply to #100858)

*LOL* Probably for the best Neel

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-18 9:53 AM (#100902 - in reply to #98253)

I thought the only thing Italy was famous was Olives and Olive Oil! The addition of horses to these two, makes it interesting.

Posted 2007-12-20 10:21 AM (#100981 - in reply to #100839)

i tend not to travel in winter, but when i do, here's what i do:

boots--i choose a pair that can be worn around town and out on the town.

garments--it's still all about layers, and in the winter, the first layer is warm woolens or silks. these come in a variety of lengths and neck lines. if the boots are high, then capri-length leggings are good, and i recommend long sleeved shirts with a scoop or v-neck so that i can wear various tops without the undergarments showing.

i would then take thinner fabric shirts and sweaters (long sleeves), and also a jacket that is fitted/thin and yet very warm. ll bean has various varieties that fit this bill and look nice and slim.

of course, scarves, hats, and gloves, good socks, are important, and you can then bring pants and skirts (jeans, long skirt, nice dress pants that can go with the boots) and go from there.

i don't think it's much more:

undergarments: 3-4 underwear/1 bra; woolens/silks (two sets); socks

outter garments: skirt, jeans, pants; 2-4 shirts; sweaters (1-2); coat (1-2); hat/scarf/gloves

everything still mix-and-match. bring a pair of casual/comfortable shoes for wearing indoors, too. that way, when you're around the house, you're wearing something comfortable/warm (or just wear your socks).

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)