YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ashram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

walkyourdreams
Posted 2007-10-12 1:28 AM (#97735)
Subject: Ashram

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum.

Presently, I am seeking for an ashram to stay from one - three months. And I am seeking one, preferably in India or Sri Lanka. This is the 1st time if I am going to an ashram.

I am wondering if anyone can provide me with some information on the following:
- what to look out for
- where to go
- the amount of fees i should be paying

I hope to grow more spiritually and learn meditation, and to find inner balance.

I would appreciate any information provided to me.

Thank you.

Regards,

T
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-12 8:38 AM (#97744 - in reply to #97735)
Subject: RE: Ashram

There are NO Ashrams left in India or anywhere in the world which conform to the meaning of the word "Ashram". So, when you say ashram, you have to know what you mean by ashrama. For example, if you are reading a story of Shree Rama (around 5000 B.C.) and thinking of Shree Vashishtha's ashrama, then there is NO single ashrama of that kind left now.

If you think Ashram means any place where you can learn Spirituality and Yoga, then there is NO need to use the term 'ashram' as you can get this in better form from many other places.

Thus, you have to know what you want to achieve and then choose what shall satisfy your goal. Your goals stated in the OP do not require you to go to any Ashram, as they exist today.

I can give you some suggestions but they shall be based on your own particular situation. For example, if Marilyn Manroe asks me the same question, I shall give very different suggestion as I know her vulnerability considering her beauty and such (fortunate or unfortunate) and if Bill Gates asks me the same question, I shall give different suggestion based upon his financial status (I mean pour into donations!).

I wish you best in your journey.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-12 9:57 AM (#97748 - in reply to #97744)

Expert Yogi

Neel - I think I understand what you are saying about the ashrams as many monasteries and convents in western traditions (where people also went to learn and study) have changed over time as well, but what would you call the places now that teach yoga, meditation etc. in a residential setting? Yoga schools? Retreat centres?
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-12 10:21 AM (#97757 - in reply to #97748)

You can also try reading the travel book, Yoga School Dropout for places in India.

Fee
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-10-12 12:03 PM (#97760 - in reply to #97735)

I say this with a loving heart
why do you feel the need to go to an ashram, what if the ashram is currupt, will it help you find God? what at home is hindering your search/path.

you said "I hope to grow more spiritually and learn meditation, and to find inner balance."
find inner balance, is balance found within, Are you ready to meditate, how is your home meditation going, what is meditation. for some meditation is the absence of thought so how can you be taught the absence of thought?
the answers to these questions are not important for you to tell me, they are important for you ti find within yourself. But then again maybe these questions pertain more to my life then they do your life.

good luck in your search
a hopefully humble,
seeker

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-12 12:16 PM (#97762 - in reply to #97760)

This is a fantastic response. I love it.

tubeseeker - 2007-10-12 12:03 PM

I say this with a loving heart
why do you feel the need to go to an ashram, what if the ashram is currupt, will it help you find God? what at home is hindering your search/path.

you said "I hope to grow more spiritually and learn meditation, and to find inner balance."
find inner balance, is balance found within, Are you ready to meditate, how is your home meditation going, what is meditation. for some meditation is the absence of thought so how can you be taught the absence of thought?
the answers to these questions are not important for you to tell me, they are important for you ti find within yourself. But then again maybe these questions pertain more to my life then they do your life.

good luck in your search
a hopefully humble,
seeker

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-12 12:21 PM (#97763 - in reply to #97748)

Yes, I shall call it Yoga School, Yoga Institute, Meditation Institute, Yoga Studio, etc. if it is actually meant for giving instruction in the core. If it is meant for people to come and enjoy comfortable life with massage, spas, beautiful scenery and also have a few yoga classes in it, I shall call it Retreat, Holiday, Vacation, etc.

Each of these can be associated with a suffix or prefix which can contain qualifications such as:

SaeeTech, The Authentic Yoga School

Ramamani Iyengar Yoga Institute

Himalayan Yoga Institute

Sachidananda Ashram, Yogaville

To repeat, one can add "Ashram" in their own Yoga Place name. But, the person who goes there should know what "Ashram" means to them.

Peace

(which offers few Yoga Classes).
tourist - 2007-10-12 9:57 AM

Neel - I think I understand what you are saying about the ashrams as many monasteries and convents in western traditions (where people also went to learn and study) have changed over time as well, but what would you call the places now that teach yoga, meditation etc. in a residential setting? Yoga schools? Retreat centres?

Posted 2007-10-12 12:23 PM (#97764 - in reply to #97760)

You can only grow spiritually, learn meditation and find inner balance right here, right now. They cannot be found later or over there, wherever "there" may be.
seeker
Posted 2007-10-12 3:03 PM (#97783 - in reply to #97735)

walkyourdreams - 2007-10-12 1:28 AM

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum.

Presently, I am seeking for an ashram to stay from one - three months. And I am seeking one, preferably in India or Sri Lanka. This is the 1st time if I am going to an ashram.

I am wondering if anyone can provide me with some information on the following:
- what to look out for
- where to go
- the amount of fees i should be paying

I hope to grow more spiritually and learn meditation, and to find inner balance.

I would appreciate any information provided to me.

Thank you.

Regards,

T

It's a good decision. There's no peace or wisdom without living in an ashram. The world is not the place for sensitive souls. I suggest you try Aurobindo Ashram, or perhaps some of the ISKCON temples, where you can live and do some spiritual work. You don't have to pay hefty fees in these ashrams.
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-10-12 4:12 PM (#97790 - in reply to #97783)

seeker - 2007-10-12 3:03 PM
It's a good decision. There's no peace or wisdom without living in an ashram. The world is not the place for sensitive souls.

if you dont mind can you please clarify the above statement? your statement states absolutes, personally I dont agree with the absolute statement of there being no peace or wisdom without being in an ashram. I have achieved peace if only for a moment, and achiveing peace, if only for a moment, is pretty wise if you ask my opinion. I am not saying it makes me great, it is wisdom for myself to know i can achieve peace.

Thank you for your kind words neel

the balance of humility is not always easy
on the journey
seeker

Edited by tubeseeker 2007-10-12 4:14 PM
seeker
Posted 2007-10-14 5:22 AM (#97848 - in reply to #97790)

I have achieved peace if only for a moment, and achiveing peace, if only for a moment, is pretty wise if you ask my opinion. I am not saying it makes me great, it is wisdom for myself to know i can achieve peace.

Hi TS,

How is it wise to achieve peace for a moment? What good could come out of it? Anything that lasts for a short span of time is worthless. Would you like to be a millionaire for a second? Obviously not, because duration is most important, next only to permanence.

Suresh
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-14 9:39 AM (#97856 - in reply to #97848)

Darling Seeker:

What do you mean? ARe you getting all your life's salary in one shot or you are getting it every paycheck?

Do you get all your knowledge in any subject part by part or you are getting it in one second everything?

Did you write your following post word by word, letter by letter or all in one shot?

If TS is getting peace even for a moment, that is most fantastic. This way, he shall experience peace and not only have to talk about peace. Once he is able to get it for more than one moment, he is going ahead. And, soon he shall be getting it permanently. I am sure that is because Peace is what he wants.

seeker - 2007-10-14 5:22 AM

I have achieved peace if only for a moment, and achiveing peace, if only for a moment, is pretty wise if you ask my opinion. I am not saying it makes me great, it is wisdom for myself to know i can achieve peace.

Hi TS,

How is it wise to achieve peace for a moment? What good could come out of it? Anything that lasts for a short span of time is worthless. Would you like to be a millionaire for a second? Obviously not, because duration is most important, next only to permanence.

Suresh

Posted 2007-10-14 7:41 PM (#97872 - in reply to #97856)

Life is new from moment to moment. Death is static and permanent. We will all be dead soon enough. Let's enjoy and make something of these fleeting moments!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-14 9:49 PM (#97876 - in reply to #97735)

Well that depends on what is the underlying philosophy of a practitioner or the one who wants to make maximum of the fleeting moments. For example:

kramaanyatvam parinaamaanyatve hetuH.

kshanapratiyogii parinaamaaparaanta nirgraahyaH kramaH.

etc. are statements in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.

If one is holding to another philosophy, then one is not using Yoga Sutras. And, that is why a confusion of phiosophy should not be made by a student.

When Life is new moment to moment, One's own definition becomes new moment to moment. That means the one I was in the past moment is differnt from the one I shall be in the next moment. So, one does not have to worry about other moments. And, in that way, one moment is what one shall feel full. And, then if one gets peace in that moment, one shall have achieved the purpose. Who cares about the past and future moments. TS then shall be doing a wonderful momentous job, and shall get credit for permanent peace.

tubeseeker
Posted 2007-10-15 11:52 AM (#97900 - in reply to #97848)

seeker - 2007-10-14 5:22 AM

Hi TS,

Suresh

how is it unwise to achieve peace for only a moment. what bad could come out of it? With all humility I ask that If you have the answer on how to achieve peace permenently, please share.

I achieved peace again this morning, the next moment I fell asleep

The good that can come out of a moment, a moment can last a lifetime, a moment is a lifetime. The only moment we have in this lifetimes is the moment. Right now I am pretty content in this moment, that is all that matters, if I worry of loosing it in the next moment, I may be worrying for nothing because the next moment is not sure to come.

enjoy your journey seeker,
seeker as well

Posted 2007-10-15 1:07 PM (#97908 - in reply to #97876)

kulkarnn - 2007-10-14 6:49 PM
When Life is new moment to moment, One's own definition becomes new moment to moment. That means the one I was in the past moment is differnt from the one I shall be in the next moment. So, one does not have to worry about other moments. And, in that way, one moment is what one shall feel full. And, then if one gets peace in that moment, one shall have achieved the purpose. Who cares about the past and future moments. TS then shall be doing a wonderful momentous job, and shall get credit for permanent peace.

Excellent!

Peace only exists in the present moment! The present moment is reality. The past and the future are only memories and desires. This life thing is really cool!!!!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-15 2:43 PM (#97919 - in reply to #97908)

That is why my name is Cool-karni!!!

jimg - 2007-10-15 1:07 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-10-14 6:49 PM

Excellent!

Peace only exists in the present moment! The present moment is reality. The past and the future are only memories and desires. This life thing is really cool!!!!
Ravi
Posted 2007-10-15 9:05 PM (#97943 - in reply to #97735)

All the guy wanted was a suggested place to go in India for personal insight..... I find it troubling that this discussion has to get philosophical over someone asking a simple question..... if i came upon this in the beginning of my journey I would have been frustrated and moved on....

and yet his question was never answered.

My suggestion is to go to rishikesh, india my brother...... you shall find what you seek

Metta,

Ravi

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-16 12:17 AM (#97951 - in reply to #97943)

Hey Ravi:
namaste. his question is actually answered if you see the responses. i think the problem is with the word 'ashrama' which he has used. So, it is necessary to clear his terminology. Since you suggested Rishikesh:

my suggestion is: Do not go there in Summer and Rain. You will not like it in general. Of course, if you adjust and learn, you will love it.

Ravi - 2007-10-15 9:05 PM

All the guy wanted was a suggested place to go in India for personal insight..... I find it troubling that this discussion has to get philosophical over someone asking a simple question..... if i came upon this in the beginning of my journey I would have been frustrated and moved on....

and yet his question was never answered.

My suggestion is to go to rishikesh, india my brother...... you shall find what you seek

Metta,

Ravi

seeker
Posted 2007-10-16 7:31 AM (#97953 - in reply to #97900)

Hi TS,

A moment's peace lasts, well, a moment, so it's unwise to pursue it. Logic dictates that we go after something that lasts a while, so that we could hang on to it, perhaps enjoy for longer durations. It's that simple.

Suresh
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-16 8:35 AM (#97957 - in reply to #97953)

Suresh: I think I misunderstood your past post. But, I think I know what TS is stating. This is what I think:

Suresh is stating that while seeking one should seek for permanent peace in mind, not momentaary. And, what TS is stating is that even if he gets one moment of peace, he feels accomplished.

I personally agree with both of you.

seeker - 2007-10-16 7:31 AM

Hi TS,

A moment's peace lasts, well, a moment, so it's unwise to pursue it. Logic dictates that we go after something that lasts a while, so that we could hang on to it, perhaps enjoy for longer durations. It's that simple.

Suresh
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-10-16 8:39 PM (#98010 - in reply to #97953)

Hi TS,

Suresh

and for something to have any durations what is the minimum amount of time it must last?

a moment

fun discussion
seeker
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-10-16 8:46 PM (#98011 - in reply to #97735)

ravi, I find a lot of things troubling and normally when I trace it back to where the trouble actually is, I find one person, one being, one accountable, Myself.
maybe we got off topic, hopefully the OP has some food for thought that is helpful, maybe we are on topic with what the OP needs, maybe not. Whom shall judge? Sometimes I wish I had all the answers.

life can be confusing
seeker
Neobrahman
Posted 2007-10-18 5:44 PM (#98160 - in reply to #97735)

I think both seeker's and tubeseeker's arguments are equally important to grasp. As Neel has said, one cannot get everything in a single shot, so a moment's peace,when otherwise u have none at all, would be like finding a treasure. On the other hand, eventually one would like to increase his potential to grasp the divine more firmly as his or her yearning increases. In my opinion, this is the most natural way to grow in all aspects of life as Neel has pointed out with so many wonderful examples.

Sorry I again digressed from the original question(I actually have no input to give on that one)...

Best,
Neobrahman
P.S: As it happens to be the period of the festival of the Goddess Durga in India, my best wishes for everyone on this occasion.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-18 9:30 PM (#98172 - in reply to #97953)

Expert Yogi

Hi TS,

Suresh

I don't know Suresh...I'd like to think that even though a moment's peace may last only a moment, believe me...as a super mom, retired corporate america person....that moment, that little itty bity moment is what saved my life sometimes...in fact, it is why I am where I am right now. Now, I have lots of peaceful moments...in fact, I now have more peaceful moments than non-peaceful ones. Just because I was able to have a tiny glimpse of peace, I was able to find peace. The glimpse is all it takes. Logic?? I didn't know there was such a thing,

For what it's worth...I've never been to India, ever. Although....Asia sure has come to me. First it was China, then Tibet, then Taiwan, Singapore, then Nepal, then India. Oh my my my. I do believe that when the student is ready, the teacher does appear...wherever you may be.

Although...some people like to travel. I'd like to think of it this way...some people NEED to get out of their country and as far away as possible to make the self-discovery...they really need to do that, it's quite necessary. Whereas, some of us, myself included, did not. It's all in your karma.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-10-18 9:34 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)