YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginnings of the nursery..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2007-10-11 10:16 PM (#97729)
Subject: Beginnings of the nursery..

Hi all,
My friend started the mural in the nursery.. thought I'd post some pics.. after the mural, we lay the floor.. then the furniture goes in (which most of it is residing in my living room at the moment!) and voila! Nursery done! I hope the ultrasound was right when it said a girl!

(mural1.JPG)

(mural2.JPG)

(mural3.JPG)

(mural4.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mural1.JPG (16KB - 40 downloads)
Attachments mural2.JPG (17KB - 45 downloads)
Attachments mural3.JPG (16KB - 42 downloads)
Attachments mural4.JPG (13KB - 35 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-11 10:18 PM (#97730 - in reply to #97729)
Subject: RE: Beginnings of the nursery.

Oh yeah... the walls are a pale lilac.. just a shade or two off of white.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-12 5:36 AM (#97738 - in reply to #97729)
Subject: RE: Beginnings of the nursery..

Wow, what great artwork! No worries if it is a boy after all - just add some creepy crawlies to the mural :-)

Fee
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-10-12 7:42 AM (#97742 - in reply to #97729)
Subject: RE: Beginnings of the nursery..

That's looking great. You must be getting so excited.

Posted 2007-10-12 9:05 AM (#97745 - in reply to #97729)

i would add creepy crawlies anyway. they're cool. besides, you can show where butterflies come from.

i think it looks great!
GreenJello
Posted 2007-10-12 9:31 AM (#97747 - in reply to #97729)

Wow! Cool pics, I'm sure your girl (or boy) will really get a kick out of them.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-12 9:58 AM (#97749 - in reply to #97747)

Expert Yogi

Love it, ML! What flooring with you be putting in?
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-12 10:11 AM (#97754 - in reply to #97729)

We will be adding some creepy crawlies-- well, pretty crawlies- butterflies, dragonflies, maybe lady bugs. I'm leaving it up to my friend.. we said if it's a boy, we'll just have to add some warty toads to the shot... maybe a race car driving over the garden! I think we are going to add my cat, Cotton's face into the garden somewhere.. because he lives outside in my garden!

The floors are going to be wood laminate- except I'm getting a large carpet remnant for the nursery. I just didn't want carpet all over my upstairs- we are finishing a hallway and a landing as well. Besides, the only carpet that fit our budget was the cheapest stock carpet from home depot- scratchy and icky! Typically, I'm not a fan of laminate.. but in this case, it's affordable, has a 30-yr warranty, and the new laminates look pretty good...
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-12 10:17 AM (#97756 - in reply to #97754)

Laminates are also pretty child-proof.

I must've seen about 70 houses two years ago when I was looking to move and the number of puke/juice/poop stained carpets I saw was amazing. I couldn't believe how many folk could live with such minging rags let alone not replace them when trying to sell their home (ew!!).

Fee
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-12 12:33 PM (#97765 - in reply to #97729)

joscmt
Posted 2007-10-12 12:34 PM (#97766 - in reply to #97729)

Exactly! Carpets just get soo nasty. Not to mention the dust that no matter how much you vacuum, they still are dusty.. at least with a remnant carpet, I can replace it easily if need be.

Posted 2007-10-12 4:03 PM (#97788 - in reply to #97729)

i love my laminate floors. they were perfect with the october j, and ryan and i--who are messy. and, they look great. people think that they look like new hardwood. i like them a lot.

and, a lot less expensive than hardwood.

Posted 2007-10-13 7:29 AM (#97809 - in reply to #97729)

ours was a $10 k difference between hardwood and laminate.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-13 10:03 AM (#97813 - in reply to #97809)

Expert Yogi

I am sure the next generation who owns our house will be ripping out all the "disgusting" laminate, but it works for us. Most of the main floor is hardwood because our neighbourhood is such that we could never resell for a decent price if we put laminate all through the house and because it does look better. But the studio, office, spare bedrooms have laminate because it was much cheaper (the really good laminates are indeed as much as hardwood) and we could lay it ourselves. The studio and office are on the concrete slab as well, so they would need to not be solid hardwood anyway. My dream would be in-floor heat in the studio, but it generally needs to be under tile or other hard surface, which would suck for yoga or for ballroom practice I love/hate sweeping up all the dust, hair, food bits and insect parts I find on our floors now. Love getting it up off our floor but hate the idea of what was actually residing in those 15 or 20 year old carpets we pulled up! ML - one of the great things about an area rug, even a carpet remnant, is that you can take it out to get cleaned, so it is more like washing something in a washing machine than just wetting it down on the floor. I have been amazed to see what a good cleaner can do with a rug.

Posted 2007-10-13 10:55 AM (#97817 - in reply to #97729)

well, i do live in a condo.

as far as property value goes, my house is in the lower end. it's considered in the 'starter home' family, and it's not 'that' well made. i know that there are condos that are very high end (i looked at some recently in a reclaimed factory building that are GORGEOUS and starting at $500,000), but ours is not that.

so, hardwood would have been out of place. and we did get high quality laminate. if i had what i wanted it would have been a much different place because i like to go with sustainable product.

we're talking about renovating the kitchen now, which should only cost about $1000 for floors walls (they were wallpapered, not by us!), and counter tops. we don't need new appliances or cabinetry--those are quite nice. when we talked to a kitchen person at a shop about getting new countertops, he recommended stone or whatever...but i like that DuPont Corian stuff.

i think it's a better investment. I mean, i prefer the natural stone, and also the various recycled products out there (that are mixes of glass, stone waste, and recycled plastics that look like stone), but these are way too expensive for the type of house we have, the neighborhood we're in, etc.

now, if i am able to get the house that i love that just went on the market (go ryan go!), then i'd redo the kitchen entirely--it's completely designed weird with a mixture of very expensive and very cheap fixtures. . .and i would go ahead and get the stone, the nice cabinets, and so on.

but this little condo. . .which i plan to use as a rental. . .i want to get something that will last, that isn't too fancy for the house (meaning it's more of an investment than is necessary), and that also gives me a look that i like. . .

it makes sense to go with another kind of product. the house we want is hardwood throughout the main floor, upstairs and finished basement (including in bathrooms! a look i love), but burber carpet in the two master bedrooms. i'd have to get that replaced to hardwood. . .

yeah, i think it really depends upon what one is doing. . .with a space, the value of the house, etc. . .

joscmt
Posted 2007-10-13 2:00 PM (#97828 - in reply to #97729)

I liked the idea of being able to lay the floor ourselves. My husband could've done the hardwood (we were looking at bamboo), but it would have taken him a lot longer. We have soo many projects going on right now, we'd rather just get it done. We went to lumber liquidators and the bamboo floor was the same price as the high-end laminate. The rest of our house is hardwood (all but the addition was built in the '20s)... but I think it'll look really good. Our neighborhood is definitely of the granite counters/wood floor genre. We bought our home from my folks for much less than market value.. but most houses in this area are ridiculously overpriced. It's all location, though. A small town feel less than 10 min out of DC.
Eventually, we'll redo our kitchen and upgrade the counters (mainly because I'm not a big fan).. but that's down the line.
Right now, we have nursery/upstairs, big fish tank, baby to be, restaurant, and a few smaller projects... I think the kitchen is fine right now!
tourist
Posted 2007-10-13 9:13 PM (#97836 - in reply to #97828)

Expert Yogi

Whoever thought of wall paper in kitchens... Yes, you really have to match your neighbourhood to a certain degree and I would personally put wood everywhere for everything if I could. I have a bit of a thing for wood. One grandfather was a logger, one was a carpenter and my dad was a carpenter as well. The smell, the feel, the look. I love it. There is even some guy near here who makes sinks and bathtubs out of wood, which, in crazy made-of-money world, I would have for sure! The norm here is for ceramic or other tile in the kitchen, but I find it very cold and hard on the feet, so I think we'll eventually just throw some more good vinyl on it or a kitchen laminate that looks like tile. Not nuts about some of the stone countertops, either. Things break when they fall on something that hard. I like corian as well. But again - crazy made-of-money land? I would go for something like you said, ZB. Reusing old materials combined with wild modern stuff. I can see our make-believe house. It would be sooooo cool!

Oh yeah - back to the nursery...
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-14 10:26 AM (#97861 - in reply to #97729)

wallpaper is a nightmare! I'm so happy I don't have any of that. We do have wood floors in our kitchen.. and they work well there- I get worried with the different spills.. but it's been alright. I love the feel of corian as well.. and there is a composite material that I really like as well.

Posted 2007-10-15 12:24 PM (#97903 - in reply to #97729)

yeah, we can't install anything to save our lives. . .so we have to hire people. . .and where they source their materials is usually up to them. . .

there's no way we could do projects like fish tanks, murals (i might be able to do the mural part), and so on.

btw, i told my mom that we are officially TTC, even though we're officially on hiatus until november. we tired in september. mom's thrilled. i'm surprised. i thought they would be disappointed, but both mom and dad did well with t he news and seemed even excited.

of course, earlier in the week, when i mentioned it off hand, she said "don't have a baby!" but then by saturday, she was all supportive. i think it just needed to soak in a bit.

oh, and because they're moving, we'll get one of their queen size beds in may, which is awesome. we needed to get a bigger one (ryan wanted a king--particularly if we're cosleeping, which we are), but i figured a queen would be enough. and this one is free.

not just the bed, but the furniture too--two bed-side tables with drawers, one large dresser, and four-poster bed that i love. weee!

so, we're going to "redecorate" the "baby's room" with my mother's furniture which i have wanted for years (she bought it after i showed her what i liked, and she could afford it. . .and it's been 'her bedroom' for a while now). . .but it will be all mine!

how greedy. LOL!
SCThornley
Posted 2007-10-15 1:13 PM (#97910 - in reply to #97729)

very nice
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-15 6:44 PM (#97934 - in reply to #97729)

TTC! Yeah!! that's awesome! Just a question though.. earlier in a post you mentioned that you weren't going to tell any grandparents when you are expecting... so why tell them that you are trying? Have you had a change of heart? I'm glad your mom came around... Mom's can't resist!

FWIW- we recently upgraded from a full size to a queen... and it's a WORLD of difference! I never thought a few inches would be so noticeable (Bruce, Nick- keep your dirty minds outta this! )
Now, we both have tons of room AND when the dog sneaks in.. he's hardly noticeable.

Well, we ended up getting hardwood... we went out to lumber liquidators and the laminate we liked before wasn't on sale anymore... BUT, a beautiful hickory flooring was on sale for $1.99/ sq ft. ! Which is actually cheaper than the laminate we looked at. YEA! So, it's a little more work for my husband, but he really liked the floor as well..

That's one thing that is really cool.. my husband is really handy- electrical, carpentry, drywall, plumbing..you name it, he can do it. I think most it came from building the restaurant and helping his Dad out when he was younger. And if there is something he can't do.. my Dad can, so we call him up and he teaches my husband what to do.

My stuff is all the crafty things.. I made the crib bumper, the window seat pad, I'll probably do the curtains.. I've been crocheting a baby blanket- I did one ( it was my first and shaped a little like Utah ) but my second one is coming out much better!

Edited by joscmt 2007-10-15 6:46 PM

Posted 2007-10-16 9:15 AM (#97958 - in reply to #97729)

the hickory hardwood sounds really lovely. I love different kinds of wood grains. so beautiful!

you really are blessed that both of you are so "handy" in different ways. It's a tough learning curve for ryan and i. his dad did a lot of projects like those, but never really included ryan (he would "get in the way") and while both of his parents have asserted that they'd help with different projects--getting them to actually commit to it, to come and do the work, is next to impossible.

so we finally just decided to hire people. LOL i can paint pretty well, but i just get too lazy to do it. it's so much easier to go to scandinavia while someone else does it. LOL

as for change of heart, i would say it's more of a change of mind. when i sat down and really thought about what i wanted, and how i was behaving was inhibiting that (on topics outside of this one). . .well, i had to change it. and so i'm experimenting.

here's the thing that i came up with--which i have mentioned before.

my typical pattern when someone is negative towards me is to simply "shut down." (it's the opposite online. instead, i usually engage it). what i mean is, i just go silent and i dont' agree or disagree. the person speaking to me thinks that i agree with them. and then when i go and do exactly what i intended to do anyway, then it's seen as rebellious and it's very frustrating to that other person.

what i discovered is that i wasn't really allowing for intimacy because i was avoiding the discomfort of disagreement. in order to relate, i figured out that one has to become "comfortable" with discomfort--just like doing a yoga pose, no? at a certain point, you just have to let it be what it is, let people have their say, and assert your part.

so, i've been experimenting on different topics and bringing things to conversation that are rather controversial. i listen, and i ask for clarity, and then i assert my position in a calm way. what i've found is that i'm treated with much more respect by those older than me.

my ILs for example have really started treating ryan and i as adults. it's been a total change. Now, next week, it could be completely different, but the last few times we've hung out with them, visited them, it's been really, really good. there are still issues about Opie that we speak up about regularly that causes a lot of strife, but beyond this, everything has been pretty good.

so, we started to talk about TTC seriously, and we looked very seriously at money in particular--what we can afford right now, what we can't, what we want/need to do as far as insurance, etc goes. we realized that we can do pretty much everything on our own. we don't need financial support from either side of the family (which is important to us), but we also realized that they may both be interested in "helping out."

as everyone knows, i have very strong ideas about what sort of help i do and do not want. HA! so, i knew that i would have to be clear about everything from the beginning, get people used to certain ideas, and on board with things.

beyond this, we've also had some practical changes internally--for instance we decided to have a midwife for "back up." we noticed that a lot of first-time UCers end up in the hospital because after laboring for a long while, they get scared, tired, or need some kind of support. often, they go to the hospital and there's no medical need for intervention--they just needed that great nurse to say "oh, you're doing well!" and so in a way, they could have stayed home. others go into hospitals and end up with a series of unnecessary interventions, and some go for real emergencies--and of course, some just stay with their UCs at home. We still want to UC, but we'd rather that a midwife be our "first line of defense" rather than a hospital--should we feel that we need help.

And of course, the midwife connects us to everyone else. My mother and MIL have brought up needing doctors and hospitals, not just midwives, and i asserted that i'm happy with the midwife, if we need emergency care, we'll get it, and that we're going with the bare minimum of care--which right now is two prenatal visits, post partum care, and two post natal visits. They're not happy, but i have provided them with a lot of information from the midwife, from my own reading, and i'm 'open to answering questions.'

but what i've really been open to is exposing who i am and what i want, asserting that it is my choice to make and that they don't have to like it, and becoming comfortable with their discomfort.

so, maybe i grew up a bit.

sorry that was so long.
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-16 10:02 AM (#97962 - in reply to #97729)

Wow! ZB- that's awesome! Sounds like you have done a lot of soul-searching and thinking about all of this. Sometimes you may find yourself surprised at those you have pre-determined thoughts of... for instance, you may be really surprised at how your parents and in-laws react to you and Ryan as parents. You'll always get unsolicited advice.. but we have a couple of sayings in program that I really hold dear- they are:

take what you want and leave the rest
be true to yourself (meaning let others deal with their own feelings and emotions- you just need to stay true to who you are) You can only control your own actions and reactions- not others.

Sounds like you've made some powerful decisions.. and I think having a midwife around "for good measure" is a good idea... that way you don't have have any unnecessary worries..

Oh yeah, and about the wood- we love the different wood grains as well. Dan and his father got our cradle put together yesterday. It's a cradle that Dan's dad made for him when he was a baby. Literally, from scratch. He chopped down the walnut tree, milled the wood, and used the wood for the cradle. It's beautiful. I'll post a picture of that later this week. It's the first piece of baby furniture put together in the house.. really brought everything home for me! Yesterday was my 12-week mark until my due date! That's nuts!! Now... if I can just kick this bronchitis!

Posted 2007-10-16 10:37 AM (#97965 - in reply to #97729)

i do want to see a picture of the cradle.

ryan's mother has an antique high chair and ryan's cradle (made by his dad). she said that we could use them; i told her i would only use them if we could give them back to her when we were finished--and she was so pleased with that (she loves to hold onto her things). we also suggested that she keep the lego sets and various toy's she's kept for her grandkids in her home, so that when they visit her, they can enjoy the fun things with her that ryan enjoyed with her (he talked about his favorite little-boy memories with his mom and dad).

i'll be honest, the ILs and parent's aren't taking to our ideas very well at all, and we are finding that there is a good deal of resistance. and, there is also a bit of disapproval in there as well. . .but, we just keep an open face (soft gaze, attentive, smiling), and open language, and just keep asserting our process with it.

and ultimately, we've decided that they don't have to like it--which i was seeking to avoid by avoiding.

i learned a lot about how armored i am with a lot of things. it's probably my greatest weakness. it sounds a bit nuts. but i'm very strong and independent--but it can be a weakness to be too protective, too independent. . .KWIM?

so, i'm learning to be less armored, but it's very difficult for me to be both vulnerable (very uncomfortable, even dangerous!) and also to be assertive (having to deal with the discomfort of disapproval, dislike, etc).

it's a strange spot. i think i'm realizing just how weird i am. LOL
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-17 9:21 AM (#98044 - in reply to #97729)

Here's the cradle:

(cradle1.JPG)

(cradle2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cradle1.JPG (51KB - 29 downloads)
Attachments cradle2.JPG (51KB - 30 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)