YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Terrible cough- what can I do?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2007-10-11 9:06 AM (#97686)
Subject: Terrible cough- what can I do?

Hey all,
I've had this miserable cough for almost 2 weeks now. In the mornings and evenings, I cough up mucus (sorry if TMI)... BUT, since I'm pregnant my docs won't give me meds (which I usually don't like anyway) and my nutritionist is nervous about herbs... I'm at the point when I cough it hurts my head, my belly and my throat because it's been so persistent for so long.
HELP!!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-10-11 10:00 AM (#97687 - in reply to #97686)
Subject: RE: Terrible cough- what can I

hot water, lemon, and honey? chamomile? peppermint tea?

these may not help with mucous, but they may be calming and help sooth the throat and other muscles.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-10-11 10:03 AM (#97688 - in reply to #97686)
Subject: RE: Terrible cough- what can I do?

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, how about breathing some steam? Maybe some spicy chili will break up the mucus? Hope you get some relief soon, Shelly
Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-11 10:17 AM (#97689 - in reply to #97686)

Expert Yogi

Geez Marylisa, your're asking a loaded question about coughing. You do know there are a zillion types of coughs don't you??

There's the blood-tinged sputum cough, chronic, dry, hacking, chronic with yellow mucus, with cold signs, with heat signs, summer heat symptoms, and of course, the worst one of all...the unproductive cough.

When in doubt...my favorite Chinese medicine remedy when herbs are not available, is cooked pears with honey. The problem with pears in your case is this....Excessive, use of pears during pregnancy may cause poor fetal development and miscarriage. Notice the word "escessive". That does not mean you cannot eat pears, it means you should not eat alot of pears.

Another alternative would be to eat Turnips (good for resolving mucus and other damp conditions, relieves coughing) and Black Soybeans for the cough resulting from weak kidneys. Also, Hot Lemon/Lime drinks with HONEY is always good too, especially for the "hacking" type cough.

For what its worth, this is the autum season which is related to the Metal Element and Lungs. I always think its very interesting to watch people go from summer to fall. Everyone always has lungs problems. Most people think they caught a cold from someone else, but if you understood how our body relates to the earth and the elements, its very simple. We are constantly being attacked by germs and such - all the time. It's so silly when people say, "I caught a cold from so and and so"...because, its really not about "catching" something from someone else, its about our own body being OUT OF BALANCE. It's all about immunity. Sure, there are some really strong flu's that mutate and get going around, but my feeling is that instead of worrying about these things, best to balance my body and make it strong. This is the time of year when you should be eating more root vegetables and sauteed food. Concentrated foods and roots thicken the blood for cooler weather ahead. Most people are basically totally unprepared for fall. There's alot of "dryness" issues going on. The lungs are also related to the emotion - grief. It is also related to the colon, so therefore, in the fall, these issues are automatically there (whether we are aware or not) and it effects our bodies. That is why we should eat more "pungent" type foods. The colon plays a really important role in the elimination process that works with the function of the lungs.

Anyway, best of luck. Eat more Honey and you'll be alright,
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-11 10:33 AM (#97691 - in reply to #97689)

My GP always tells me to boil a kettle once an hour when I'm off work with a stinking cold as he says that's enough to keep the air moist, so reducing irritation of the airways. You could try this and/or steaming as I think just water ought to be safe for the baby, no?

You'd need to check the safety, but I find elderflower and lemon tea helpful. The lemon's antiseptic and the elderflower is an expectorant.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-10-11 10:35 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-10-11 6:44 PM (#97713 - in reply to #97691)

Expert Yogi

My MIL swears by onion juice. You chop and onion and put sugar on it (I know you don't do sugar, but this is medicine...). The juice that comes out is taken by teaspoon like cough syrup. I have honestly never tried it and forgotten all about it until this minute

Anther good and surely safe thing I do is use heat on the chest/diaphragm. A hot water bottle or "magic" bag works really well. My grandmother used disgusting mustard plasters which basically created heat on the chest. I still can't eat hot English mustard
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-11 10:12 PM (#97726 - in reply to #97686)

Thanks for all the suggestions.. unfortunately, I can't do honey.. I know, it sucks. But it's the way it is.
Cyndi- I only know bits and pieces of TCM.. I know there are a million different coughs.. mine sounds like a smoker's cough.. raspy with yellow phelgm- lovely, I know..

I've been doing some tea.. and warm liquids.. maybe I'll try the warm compress. And look over the suggestions again..

Posted 2007-10-12 6:51 PM (#97792 - in reply to #97686)

The better demulcent would be Slippery Elm (tea).

It sounds as though the mucous is already loose otherwise you might want to use some camphor, eucalyptus, or menthol either as a rub on the chest or as an inhallant.

Since you are pregnant I am assuming you are consuming quantities of dairy product. Perhaps you can shed some light on the current diet and mention how many weeks along you are please. This will help me to counter balance asana for the chest with contraindications for pregnancy.

You can try Yin Chiao, a Chinese medicinal if it passes through your M.D. and personal filter. I take something called Alpha 20C but it is not available in the standard retail markets.

Obvious to say that one should avoid environments where there is any sort of air pollutants - smoke, chemicals, etcera.

Coughing up mucous is okay. It is the bodies way of purging the phlegm from your system. It's either that, spitting, or having a runny nose. Warm fluids will keep things loose as well.

This too shall pass.

Posted 2007-10-12 8:11 PM (#97796 - in reply to #97792)

Slippery Elm is a favorite with singers and actors.
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-14 10:18 AM (#97859 - in reply to #97686)

As far as I have read, slippery elm in contraindicated in pregnancy. So, I'm not sure that one is safe or not.

Gordon- as for diet, I was wondering about the dairy thing. I do eat some yogurt mixed with cottage cheese for breakfast (along with oatmeal, nuts, and an apple)- I mix it all together. I would say beyond that, I do eat about 2 oz of cheese throughout the day. It's 4oz of yogurt and 4oz of cottage cheese. I don't drink cow's milk- but I use rice milk... I don't know if this counts in the dairy dept- since it's rice....

It was funny that Cyndi mentioned cold foods- because the only veggies I had been able to stomach had been raw veggies. This week, I switched over to braised mixed veg. and other cooked veggies. I also did quite a bit of broth as well. I am not vegetarian, so I do consume some meat- probably around 5-7oz/day

I don't eat fried foods, white potatoes, pork, caffeine, sugar, or alcohol (and haven't for 2 1/2 years)
I work with with a nutritionist and eat off of a food plan based on the diabetic exchange system. If you want more details, I can post my food plan. I just don't know if you are familiar with the exchange system so it may not make any sense.

I do try to avoid smoke, chemical inhalants, etc at all costs- mainly because I don't want to introduce more risks than already exist in a healthy pregnancy.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Posted 2007-10-15 1:23 AM (#97881 - in reply to #97686)

what trimester please?
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-15 9:16 AM (#97889 - in reply to #97686)

Sorry... I forgot to add that part.. just a week into my third trimester.. I'm 28 weeks today.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-15 9:22 AM (#97890 - in reply to #97686)

Dear Marylisa:
The answer to your situation should come from:

- an experienced teacher

as well as

- someone who knows your entire life style, and daily routine

Collecting information in pieces and making a mix based on your thinking is called Research. You shall need to do this experiment for a very long time to arrive at the conclusions.

Do not you know that 5000 + years of scientific research has not given a final cause and solution for Cold and Cough?

joscmt
Posted 2007-10-15 12:42 PM (#97905 - in reply to #97686)

well, I woke up feeling miserable this morning.. so I went back to the doctor.. turns out, I have Bronchitis. I was actually given meds this time seeing as how I've been sick for 2 1/2 weeks now.. and getting worse, not better. So, we'll see what happens.

And Neel, I agree with you.. but I was at desperate measures feeling so bad..
Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-16 10:22 AM (#97963 - in reply to #97905)

Expert Yogi

Marylisa,

Yogurt is the WORST thing you could be putting in your body right now.

Now that you know what your problem is...best to keep a very simple diet of soups and lightly cooked vegetables. My chinese chicken soup recipe is still the best for these things. SIMPLE diet is the best diet. You should go back and research our conversations about "Congee", which is very good for times like these.

Sorry you're feeling so bad. Take a rest.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-16 1:39 PM (#97979 - in reply to #97963)

Expert Yogi

Here's an article I stumbled upon when looking for something else today. I thought I would share with you guys. It pretty much sums up everything I'm always "trying" to convey,

http://www.qi-energy.com/tcmdiet.html
tourist
Posted 2007-10-16 7:20 PM (#98005 - in reply to #97979)

Expert Yogi

The great thing about chicken soup etc. is that it is not contraindicated for anyone and seems to work extremely well as an adjunct therapy to whatever other type of treatment one goes in for
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-18 9:19 AM (#98127 - in reply to #97686)

My mama made me some chicken soup today He soup is chock full of love... no turmeric, but lots of love.

Unfortunately, food was being weird for me yesterday because I had to go for my glucose tolerance test to check for gestational diabetes.. for someone who hasn't had sugar in 2 1/2 years... a bottle of glucose "juice" did some weird things.. not immediately, but as the day progressed.

I napped at Mom's house for a couple of hours too.

I feel worse today than I have all week.. we ended up calling an OB close friend of my Dad's and asking him what I could do for relief.. he gave me a temporary protocol and said that if I didn't feel better by friday to head back to the docs.. **** I get sick of western meds.

THIS is why I keep such a strict, healthy diet! I haven't been this sick in YEARS!!!! I know that right now, my immune system is suppressed to protect the baby. Apparently, if it's full-blown, the "mom body" will attack the "baby body" as a foreign object. So, nature suppresses the immune system to shut down that response.. unfortunately, it makes getting sick SUCK!!! BUT, at least the baby is still kicking away in there!!

Edited by joscmt 2007-10-18 9:19 AM
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-10-18 9:35 AM (#98130 - in reply to #97686)

It seems it's always something close to the end that makes it tough on the mama. The last two months really drag on, but when it's all over, and your little miracle is in your arms, you'll look back and see your pregnancy as the blink of an eye. For now though, time is going to pass really slowly for you. That last trimester is a real time warp.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-18 10:12 AM (#98135 - in reply to #98127)

Expert Yogi

Wow, ML - I didn't know they did that particular test during pregnancy, at least unless there was a clear indication that it was necessary. That would be a big shock to the system. I think there is far too much routine testing going on these days And what exactly will they do if they find out you have GD? They'll put you on the exact diet you were already on!

Are you nearly done at the restaurant? It seems like your body is telling you it is time to rest now...
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-18 3:22 PM (#98155 - in reply to #97686)

Hey Glenda- it's a pretty standard test these days. Mainly because GD can come on with no family history of diabetes. And even with a restricted diet, many times, insulin is still needed. There is plenty of diabetes in my family anyway... I think there are other complications that come along with GD- I read them at some point.. but my brain isn't functioning right now, so I can't remember them.

Of course, they never believe me when I tell them about my diet. Once, when I had a big weight gain, the nurse told me to lay off the cakes and pies! Ha! I told her that I don't eat sugar... so she told me to cut back on my sugar! Oh well, I just let her blab and went about my business.

As for the restaurant, I was off yesterday, am taking today off, and maybe tomorrow as well. My husband is being really sweet. We have cut back my duties and hours quite a bit, but we both want me there as long as possible- because he'll have to pick up most of my slack. Especially after the baby is born... so I want to help him out as much as I can beforehand. BUT, for now, I'm up in bed in my pjs.

I went to my chiro today and he helped open up my chest a little- he's also trained in homeopathy and he gave me some advice there... I just had to go to my alternative docs.. the other ones were just too much!

Posted 2007-10-18 3:38 PM (#98157 - in reply to #97686)

that test is so bogus. it doesn't work properly, or as they say it will. of course it's going to show a sugar spike.

i'm so sorry that you felt you had to go through it. you could definitely have refused that test, and it's not a common test in other countries. as g mentioned, usually it's given after secondary symptoms have been diagnosed.

remember, you can refuse any test--even if it is "standard." i went for my preconception appointment (the insurance company likes documentation), and talked with the midwife about everything that i would be refusing. . .which is basicly everything. she offers pretty much everything an OB does, including that level of monitoring (man, you sure do spend a lot of time on tests and appointments when pregnant! i never realized until i talked to her!), but she's cool with me just refusing everything and asking for what i want as we go along.

i can only imagine what that test did to you on so many levels. . .so frustrating!
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-18 6:31 PM (#98164 - in reply to #97686)

I didn't feel like I HAD to go through with it.. I did a bit of reading on it beforehand. Do I wish there was another way to monitor the way my body processes sugar? Yea.... I asked about it.. and there isn't at the time. So, it was only one day.. what's had me in misery and tears is this bronchitis!

Basically, they have you drink the syrup and then after one hour, they draw your blood. Since I get bloodwork done regularly for my nutritionist, I have a really good idea of where my blood sugar is normally- which, to be honest, isn't that low for someone who doesn't eat sugar (it usually hovers around 95).. and, like I said, my maternal grandmother and aunt both had diabetes- not to mention I was obese for quite sometime- In fact, preventing diabetes was one of the reasons I got my act together and lost 75lbs. I've been a bit of a worry-wart for this pregnancy anyway.. so anything I can do to put my mind at ease makes me feel better.

Food wise- I'm feeling better today.. my stomach is a little icky- but I think that's the mucus heading into my stomach when I can't get it out of my mouth..

Man, I am just more gross everyday!
tourist
Posted 2007-10-18 7:07 PM (#98166 - in reply to #98164)

Expert Yogi

joscmt - 2007-10-18 3:31 PM
Man, I am just more gross everyday!

You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Have some (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) and feel better soon
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-18 10:34 PM (#98194 - in reply to #97686)

Thanks Glenda!

One of the first things my OB told my husband is to be prepared to learn more about me than he ever thought possible! He's going to be in for quite a shock when we go to the birthing class at the hospital!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)