YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buddishm Worship - as promised
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-07 11:44 PM (#97535)
Subject: Buddishm Worship - as promised

As promised to Cyndi, I am giving the following report. I attended a very formal Buddhist Worship (of Theravada kind, but there were leaders of other branches such as Mahayana, also present) with 9 Buddisht Incharge Monks presiding and many other devotees in attendance yesterday. I am sure I watched the entire worship very carefully, though chanting Pali was only somewhat close to Sanskrit.

And, I can make the following statement safely:

The entire worship, with negligible difference, was IDENTCAL to that of any worship a Hindu Conducts. I mean started with opening invocation, then abhisheka of the idol of shree Buddha, then chanting of names, then chanting of prayers, then chanting of well being for all, and then offering of flowers, Arati (prayer using gongs, flame, etc.), and bowing down to the priests. The only difference I can state is:

In Indian or Hindu worship, there is a different deity depending on the worship such as Shree Ganesha, Shree Laxmi, etc. And, in this the deity was Shree Buddha himself.

They even put a thread on my wrist exactly same as my Hindu temple priest does. The difference being, the thread in Hindu temple is somewhat read, and the Buddhist thread is White.

I am glad that I went there and found the Unity of both religions there. Now, I am sure I can also perform the same worship of Shree Jesus and Shree Moses if I wish to. And, I am sure, I shall get the same result.

OM ShantiH.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-08 9:34 AM (#97543 - in reply to #97535)
Subject: RE: Buddishm Worship - as promised

Expert Yogi

Good morning NB,

I too have witnessed the similarities. I guess its easier for me to be objective than say, someone who was "cultured" in Hinduism all their life. Which is why several years ago I decided to do comparitive religious studies. It's been very interesting to say the least. The Vedanta studies have held me the longest though....its never ending,
Kaos
Posted 2007-10-08 12:56 PM (#97553 - in reply to #97535)

kulkarnn - 2007-10-07 11:44 PM

Now, I am sure I can also perform the same worship of Shree Jesus and Shree Moses if I wish to. And, I am sure, I shall get the same result.

OM ShantiH.

Eastern religions, notably Hinduism and Buddhism tend to have a more relaxed attitude towards these. Technically and strictly speaking, Christianity is a monotheistic religion.

Eastern religions on the other hand, can be monotheistic, polytheistic, theistic or even atheistic.

For Christians, their First Commandment states : "I am the Lord thy God; thou shalt not have any other gods before Me."

Remember, that for a Christian, this is a commandment, and not merely a precept or guideline.

Although, some people may claim to be both Christian and Buddhist, technically speaking, one cannot be Christian and Buddist at the same time.

Christianity teaches belief in a Creator God and the existence of a soul.
Buddhists reject the existence of a creator god and deny the existence of a soul.

Edited by Kaos 2007-10-08 12:57 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-08 1:16 PM (#97554 - in reply to #97535)

Thanks for this valuabe addition. But, the interesting thing is each of them Worships Physically SomeOne, whether Buddha, Krishna, or Jesus or someone. And, this way I like that they are worshiping someone they like and hold high. The only thing is: They should continue focussing on their own form, and forget the other ones unless of course they want to do both.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-08 6:11 PM (#97569 - in reply to #97553)
Subject: RE: Buddishm Worship - as prom

Expert Yogi

Hi Kaos - haven't seen you for awhile! I don't usually wade into these discussions, but I think one could be a "Christian" and a Buddhist, but perhaps not a church-going Christian. Or at least, not a Christian who is defined by the dogma and precepts of a particular church?
Kaos
Posted 2007-10-09 4:10 PM (#97616 - in reply to #97554)

kulkarnn - 2007-10-08 1:16 PM

Thanks for this valuabe addition. But, the interesting thing is each of them Worships Physically SomeOne, whether Buddha, Krishna, or Jesus or someone. And, this way I like that they are worshiping someone they like and hold high. The only thing is: They should continue focussing on their own form, and forget the other ones unless of course they want to do both.

Namaste Kulkarnn,

Yes, I agree. Practicing something positive points to the right direction.

However, when Buddhists worship, pay respect, pay homage to the Buddha image or statue, it is not actually to the Buddha, but to their own true nature.

Christians on the other hand are commanded obviously to worship Christ as God only.

Eastern religions have a more liberal, relaxed attitude towards these:

Perhaps, we can say, in essence, the core of all the major religions point to the same direction.

The Hindu Vedas proclaim: EKAM SAT, VIPRAH BAHUDHA VADANTI
The Truth is one, sages proclaim it by various names.

Rig Veda

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-09 10:25 PM (#97632 - in reply to #97535)

Wonderful Kaos. As for me, there is no problem in consider Jesus as God only. And, I do not see too much difference in Hindus considering Shree Ganesha as God only (tvam brahmaa tvam vishnus tvam rudras tvamagniH tvam suuryas tvam chandramaastvam brahma bhuurbhuvassvarom.. Shree Ganesha Puraana). And, Buddists worshipping Buddha.. buddham sharanam gachcchami.. and 'you are the great one, you are the gorgeous one, etc. etc. 100 names of Shree Buddha'. If they but just do that I think they shall reach the goal, no I am sure they shall reach the goal.

But, the problem is when "They want others to do that, and either by conversion/by force/or by war". That is where the Eastern Religions differ.

ekaM sat sadvipraaH bahudhaa vadanti.

Kaos
Posted 2007-10-10 8:08 AM (#97647 - in reply to #97632)

But, the problem is when "They want others to do that, and either by conversion/by force/or by war". That is where the Eastern Religions differ.

Namaste Kulkarnn,

Yes, I agree. This is where Eastern religions differ. They are more open and tolerant of the diversity which is creation, this universe itself.

When the veil of maya is lifted, the Truth is revealed.

OM

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-10 8:49 AM (#97649 - in reply to #97647)

I love your avatar. Send me your address so I can send you a Shree ganesha gift.

Kaos - 2007-10-10 8:08 AM

Namaste Kulkarnn,

Yes, I agree. This is where Eastern religions differ. They are more open and tolerant of the diversity which is creation, this universe itself.

When the veil of maya is lifted, the Truth is revealed.

OM

Butterfly71
Posted 2008-01-22 3:34 PM (#102299 - in reply to #97535)

It is so beautiful, eh? I have practiced Tibetan Buddhism for a long time and now when I hear some yoga philosophy talks I get it so quickly because it is so similar to Buddhism. The prostrations that they do is a form of yoga in my opinion. Hands are in prayer and you are standing in mountain pose and then you put the hands on the forhead, then throat area and finally heart (body, speech and mind; also the chakras) and then you come down and stretch out completely face down and come back up to repeat.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)