YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I crashed....but okay!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-03 5:13 PM (#97363)
Subject: I crashed....but okay!

Expert Yogi

my four-wheeler today. Instead of breaking I hit the gas and went over the edge of my front deck. My daughter said she's never seen anyone fly like I did today. You know what?? I contribute my flexibility and the fact that I didn't kill myself, to my yoga practice. If you guys saw what I did you would of freaked!! The four-wheeler ended upside down at the bottom of the bank, hitting my storage shed building, knocking off my canoe that sat up on a stand attached to the building. I went the other way up the bank. All my hostas are ruined...but, they'll come back next year and were fixing to get froze soon by our first fall frost. I ran over a glass top table and several, some large, potted plants. When I landed, I lost my shoe in the air, then landed on the ground after I did this funky twist. OMG, it hurt like hell. Dear Daughter immediately came to my rescue and massaged my ankle, while I could barely breathe. BUT, thank God I knew how to recover. It's really interesting when you apply yoga principals of breath, how powerful the healing can be.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be broken, just sprained. I'm taking Chinese herbs for the Stasis, and I'm soaking in Turmeric and salt water. Dear Daughter is being so kind, she's my new massage therapist..(I am not kidding!! She is very good!) she even made me a nice cup of chai.

Oh well....

I did manage to get my tickets booked for my Italy trip today. I cannot wait. We'll be in Italy all of January...Yippee, I get to spend the new year in Italy. This is going to be a blast!

Thank goodness most of all my fall chores with the bees are done. I just got to figure out how to drive....it's my right foot dammit!

Oh yea, I was just informed that the idle was set too high and throttle was possibly stuck. Although....I do remember not being able to grab the brake for some wierd brain freeze reason/moment and hit the gas instead though. Dumb blonde moment I guess,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
joscmt
Posted 2007-10-03 7:03 PM (#97373 - in reply to #97363)
Subject: RE: I crashed....

Holy crap, Cyndi!! Thank God you are alright!

Although, I have to say.. that you probably looked pretty bad a$$ in you Dukes of Hazzard moment!! You crazy mountain people!! LOL!

I flew my '67 Mustang across an 8-lane road when I was 17! Scared the crap out of me.. but the people watching thought it was pretty cool. A few even stopped to comment after my car broke down because I busted out the oil pan!

In terms of hitting the gas instead of the brake, once I was scraping down a mixing bowl at the restaurant- the 20quart mixer.. I had a brain fart and turned the mixer on while my hand was still in it. The paddle smashed my hand! Thank God it hit between two knuckles and not on a knuckle..

Glad you are ok!!
AKBrooker1
Posted 2007-10-03 8:48 PM (#97381 - in reply to #97363)

4-wheelers and snowmachines are a staple of living here but I can no longer count the number of injuries suffered by friends and acquaintances--some serious and some fortunately as yours, a true highlight blooper video. The power of these machines is ever increasing, and although I imagine you are experienced in their use, often they are in the hands of those unprepared for such. Your same fall in someone less physically in tune may very well have been quite serious.

I often encourage my students in that there is no loss of time due to a yoga practice. The time you expend practicing will be returned to you somehow--whether it is less sleep required, less time being ill, or less time being injured. Maybe yours is a good example of this thought.

I have had falls off my bicycle that have often left me wondering how I was able to unclip from the pedals and land on my feet. In less graceful dismounts I have also fortunately avoided injury. I know I no longer have the quick reflexes granted us in our youth so I look to other sources of protection. Certainly flexibility has been a saving grace and as you point out, surely using breath and yoga to restore as well. Amazing how our practice infiltrates all areas of our lives!

May all your future landings be smooth and your trip to Italy inspiring.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-03 9:21 PM (#97382 - in reply to #97381)

Expert Yogi

Thanks guys.

Yes, if it had been anyone else, it would of been a very serious accident. I don't play around when I'm riding this machine. Today was a total freaky mishap. This isn't the first time I've rolled it, however, I've never rolled it down a steep bank. Yikes! Usually I'm on flat ground when I've rolled it in the past.

Also, after recapping the events that took place. Early this morning I came down to the kitchen to find a Buddha picture that had been hanging on my wall, in the same spot for a couple of years, on the floor, broken. I didn't think much about it until later after my accident.

All I know is that the God's were watching over me today. I feel very blessed that I didn't have that four-wheeler land on top of me and/or squishing me up against the storage shed...cause DD could no way lift that thing off me...although....she very well might have, you never know. She's always surprising me.

Tomorrow will tell everything if I'm going to make it or not, without the heavy duty Motrin 800 tablets that I had from my root canal last November, that is. I only used 1 then. Haven't touched them yet,
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-03 10:29 PM (#97387 - in reply to #97363)

Well, the good thing is CB is ok and DD is with her. I could not understand, how she got out of the car while it was flying. It may be that her horse remembered her.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-04 5:18 AM (#97395 - in reply to #97387)

Bloody hell Cyndi! Thank heavens you're ok even if the same can't be said of your home!

I loved the Dukes of Hazzard analogy above :-)

Fee
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-10-04 8:01 AM (#97396 - in reply to #97363)

Wow, I hope you're still feeling okay about it, after the adrenaline wore off that is. That must have been quite a rush. I hope you get to relax today, and take care of yourself.

Posted 2007-10-04 9:26 AM (#97402 - in reply to #97363)

i'm so glad that you're ok!

one of the things that i think is so important, beyond your being ok, the yoga connection, and all that good stuff, is how you talk about the 4wv. you talk about it as "the machine" and that you don't "mess around" on it. so many people i know talk about the "toy" and how they "mess around" on it.

one of our friends keeps refering to our new car as a "toy"--it's not a toy, it's a tool. and we treat it like a tool. we dont' take it for granted at any level!

i think that prevents most injury! freak accidents happen (the machine was a bit messed up, huh?) and thankfully, most who are mindful and prepared walk awaay with little injury!

i'm very thankful that you're ok!
GreenJello
Posted 2007-10-04 9:49 AM (#97404 - in reply to #97363)

Wow! That's some crash Cyndi, I'm glad that you're okay.

I think ZB's comment about people's level of respect for their tools is interesting, I hadn't really thought about it like that.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-04 10:29 AM (#97410 - in reply to #97404)

Expert Yogi

I had to edit your title Cyndi. It was worrying me every time i saw it! Glad you seem to be on the mend. You'll have to explain ATV's to Neel
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-04 10:33 AM (#97411 - in reply to #97363)
Subject: RE: I crashed....but okay!

Can someone kindly tell me how Cindy came out of her car during this crash?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-04 10:35 AM (#97412 - in reply to #97402)

Expert Yogi

NB, what am I gonna do with you??? NO, I wasn't in the car. A four-wheeler is a big machine that looks like a motorbike, but has four wheels It's also a semi-automatic, so therefore, it does not need to shift gears like the regular motor-bikes like GJ has. DD was a by-stander watching this entire event.

DD said that everything happened in slow motion. It was wierd, because I too felt it all happened in slow motion. It's like time and each second slowed down and I was able to make each decision during the accident, with a sense of "knowing-ness" and "clarity". We were discussing this last night. Most people would of stayed on the machine, holding on for dear life. This machine is big and weighs over 500 pounds. Then, they would of been pinned under the machine and slammed against my storage shed (which has no damage...just knocked the canoe stand off the side of it). One rule I have about this machine, even when my kids ride it, is to jump off if something goes awry, your life and safety is more important than the machine.

Anyway, today I am feeling just fine. My ankle is NOT purple and black..horray! It is swollen a little bit though. I have a slight headache cause I am in the third day of my monthly cycle and my body has been slightly traumatized. Nothing that a good Cosmo can't handle, right girls? Just kiddin'.

So yesterday, I was doing fall chores, getting things ready for winter. I had this notion that I would park the 4-wheeler under my front porch on the deck out of the elements. I just recently brought this machine back from the horse farm. It's an interesting machine as you can do just about anything with, very useful. The horse farm used it to til up the fields. You can hook a trailer and all kinds of attachments to the hitch and tote things around, it's almost as powerful as my SUV or as ZB mentions...it can be used as a toy for most people. I've had this machine since the year 2000, it's a Yamaha Big Bear. I used to ride it with my ex-husband on these ATV trails (aka old logging roads) up here in the mountains. In fact, that's a great place to learn how to ride and gain experience. It was fun and we discovered some really beautiful places here in the mountains. It was one of the things that inspired me to get out of the city and downsize/simplify my life. Then, I quit doing the ATV trails because there were lots of other people doing this same thing, but they didn't have respect for the environment and tearing up the trails. I heard recently that they were going to shut some of it down, which I am so glad. I think they should turn it into hiking trails instead. So, YES, I do have alot of respect for these farms tools, cause that's what they are tools, not toys. Hell, you can hurt yourself on a wheelbarrel if you're not careful.

That reminds me ZB, I'm teaching my daughter how to drive. I want her to have the same respect for the car..it's not a toy. I think she's got that part down pretty well..especially after yesterday. Even though I'm teaching her to drive, her Father and I have decided that she is going to wait until she is 18 to drive legally.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-04 10:38 AM (#97413 - in reply to #97410)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2007-10-04 10:29 AM

I had to edit your title Cyndi. It was worrying me every time i saw it! Glad you seem to be on the mend. You'll have to explain ATV's to Neel

I wondered about that. If it makes you feel better Tourist,
jonnie
Posted 2007-10-04 10:40 AM (#97414 - in reply to #97363)

Wow Cyndi, that's pretty crazy.

I glad you're ok.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-10-04 11:41 AM (#97420 - in reply to #97363)

cyndi:

yes, i wish more people respected their tools because then they would be more cautious around others too. it's a lesson i learned early on while driving, and it's really stuck with me.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-10-04 12:06 PM (#97422 - in reply to #97363)

Maybe this will help Neel understand what we're talking about. Probably not the exact same model, but close.

(4 wheeler.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 4 wheeler.jpg (19KB - 55 downloads)
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-04 1:43 PM (#97428 - in reply to #97363)

That means CB is wiser than I was about to think! I am glad.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-10-05 4:54 PM (#97477 - in reply to #97428)

Expert Yogi

Well GJ, you were close...but mine is Green, not Red.

Oh yea, and I did add some "Mud Bug" tires and wheels later...to do some serious mountain riding...and is probably another reason why I didn't kill myself..the tires are wider, with more traction for down hill climbing,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-10-05 4:58 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)