YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

symbolism help needed
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

tourist
Posted 2007-09-28 9:02 PM (#97157)
Subject: symbolism help needed

Expert Yogi

What is the symbology of the thumb? I know it has significance in mudras and perhaps in TCM, Cyndi? The reason I ask is that I seem to have developed a habit of gripping my thumb in my hand, especially the left hand. It is weird because I catch myself doing it and it HURTS! I seem to be pulling on it as if I wanted to remove it from my hand. Very strange and rather uncomfortable. If anyone knows of any sorts of symbols or psychological stuff that might help, I would be very happy to hear about it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-28 11:42 PM (#97162 - in reply to #97157)
Subject: RE: symbolism help needed

Dear SisTourist: I do not wish to go in a complete explanation, but:

- the habit you have does not happen only with thumb, it can happen with other parts of the body as well.

- so, studying what is the role of Thumb will not be much help. Each organ which can develop such habit shall have their own role. If one is doing academic study, then this study will be very relevant.

- the good part is that you know that you have this habit. now, your job is to remove that habit. And, since it is a habit, your practice has to be mental, I mean the method to remove the habit has to be mental method. The actual method depends on a person and their entire enivironment, whcih can only be taught in person.
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-29 7:09 AM (#97167 - in reply to #97157)

tourist, I have a habit that has lessoned a lot and is almost gone. things I find that assist for helping to eliminate my nervous behavior are.
eating better, and normally when behavior is there I am not breathing effeciently and when I find myself wanting to do it I just focus on the breath and free the breath. The desire for the behavior subsides drastically but not always completely. Over time you may build up to elimination at about the time you let go of worrying about the behavior, how ironic Chopra actually has a few pages that I found really interesting about "addictions" in his perfect health book.

As far as the thumb, maybe you have an energy block there, or maybe you have an energy block where the thumb represents. you know how some say you can massage a certain area of the foot and aid digestion, maybe the thumb is linked to another issue in your body. Do a google search on pressure points and see what you come up with, at the very least you will learn more about the body, or maybe you will learn the exact answer you seek
enjoy the journey
seeker

Edited by tubeseeker 2007-09-29 7:15 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-29 10:06 AM (#97170 - in reply to #97157)

Expert Yogi

Hey Tourist,

Well, I don't believe this is a habit, I too believe in blocked and stored energy. Perhaps you've had so much stored energy in this area that you have developed a habit of rubbing it and such because it really bothers you. This could be really significant considering what you just went through in surgery and all. You'd be really surprised.

Large Intestine Meridian, point #4 of 20: LI4, Hegu:

This point is located on the back side of the hand between the thumb and first finger. The dominant uses are to relieve pain and to treat constipation or other bowel disorders. However, this point is also utilized in the treatment of inflammatory and feverish diseases which have symptoms in the throat and head, because the large intestine meridian runs from the hand to the face. Another key point on this meridian is LI11 (Quchi), located at the elbow. It is used for many upper body disorders, such as sore throat, eye pain, lymphatic swellings, rashes, and difficulty moving the arms, and for intestinal disorders, such as diarrhea and intestinal cramping.

You should study all the meridian points if you're interested in this sort of thing. Also, try to study about how each organ functions within the human body system. To give you an idea..here's a couple more that could be useful. Actually, all these are very common acupuncture points.

Pericardium Meridian, point #6 of 9: PC6, Neiguan:

This point is located on the inner arm, just above the wrist. Like other points on this meridian, it is useful for cardiac disorders, such as heart palpitation and angina pectoris. It is also useful for nausea, vomiting, spasms, and convulsions.

Heart Meridian, point #7 of 9: HT7, Shenmen:

This point is located on the outer side of the wrist. It is used in the treatment of a variety of mental disorders, such as absent mindedness, insomnia, disturbing dreams, hysteria, depression, agitation, and mental illness. It is also used in the treatment of heart disease and fatigue.

Triple Burner Meridian, point #5 of 23: TB5, Waiguan:

The triple burner is considered to be a special type of organ system that spans the entire torso. This point on the meridian is located on the outer side of the arm, above the wrist. It is mainly used in treatment of disorders along the pathway of this meridian, that is, of the fingers, hand, arms, neck, ears, cheek, and top of the head.

tourist
Posted 2007-09-29 10:13 AM (#97172 - in reply to #97167)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Neel and TS. I actually am not worried about how to get rid of this little habit. Since I know about it now, I can relax the hand and make a mental note. I usually say something like "you don't need to do that right now" and "relax this hand." I am thinking along the lines of energy blockage as well. I was just wondering if I knew the symbolism if I could get to the root of this strange habit more quickly.

Swami Radha's method of looking at symbols (and this just popped into my head as I type) has little to do with what others say the symbols represent. She would suggest the person do a series of inquiries to basically ask myself to find the symbolism. Like: what is a thumb, what is a hand, what do I do with my thumb? What shape is the hand making and why? And so on.... I have already noticed that my hand is being made into a fist when I do this, so I have to look at what a fist means and if I am angry and wanting to punch something/one. Or I could go a whole other way and think about what my hand would look like without this thumb (as I seem to be trying to pull it off) and look at the idea of giving (with the right hand, yes?) and receiving and how I am feeling about those things. All very fascinating...
tourist
Posted 2007-09-29 10:20 AM (#97174 - in reply to #97170)

Expert Yogi

Ah Cyndi - our posts crossed. Yes, it sure could be about digestion! My body is delighted to be off the acid suppressors and I once again have tummy grumbles and all sorts of fun things like that. It seems to be taking some time to reset all the different fluid levels. It could be that I am trying to help my body along. Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)