YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fasting
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-25 10:44 AM (#96877)
Subject: Fasting

I really didn't see a better place to put this, philosophy and religion just didn't seem absolutely correct, but neither does diet and nutrition........

Has anyone else done much fasting?

If so, why do you fast, for how long, what dangers, benefits are you familiar with when it comes to fasting?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-09-25 11:22 AM (#96878 - in reply to #96877)
Subject: RE: Fasting

i think we talked about this recently in this very forum.

i fast predominently for spiritual reasons. it is a discipline that has many benefits physically and spiritually. i can hardly explain about it, i just like it.

typically--though not currently as we are TTC--i fast weekly or biweekly. it depends upon the scheduling for the week. one day, i take an early meal and a late meal (what's called a day fast), and i spend much of the day doing yoga, prayer, meditation, and contemplation with study.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-25 11:30 AM (#96881 - in reply to #96877)

ya, I know--but I wanted to do it again........

what is TTC?

I've been considering it a s physical and spiritual cleansing exercise, however I think there's more to it and am trying to focus on that.........with other's input maybe I'll see it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-25 11:35 AM (#96883 - in reply to #96877)

Brother SCT: Please try to meet me in Northern VA. I want them to see a handsome guy!

I shall like to tell you about fasting in person. Do it Fast.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-25 12:33 PM (#96888 - in reply to #96877)

I will be in Southern Maryland, October 4, for the evening, that's the soonest I'd be within 100 miles of you, Neel.

Maybe that evening would be good?

Posted 2007-09-25 12:43 PM (#96889 - in reply to #96877)

TTC is 'trying to conceive.' in general, fasting is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women. i assume that since i wouldn't necessarily 'know' for two weeks past ovulation, it would best if i didn't fast during this time.

also, i would recommend starting with day fasting. it's a good thing to start once we have our 'fall back'--shorter days. breakfast before sun up (small simple meal) and dine after sundown (also, simple meal). tea and water in between, if you'd like. then, focus on meditation, etc, during the day.

Edited by zoebird 2007-09-25 12:44 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-25 1:43 PM (#96894 - in reply to #96889)

zoebird - 2007-09-25 12:43 PM

TTC is 'trying to conceive.' in general, fasting is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women. i assume that since i wouldn't necessarily 'know' for two weeks past ovulation, it would best if i didn't fast during this time.

also, i would recommend starting with day fasting. it's a good thing to start once we have our 'fall back'--shorter days. breakfast before sun up (small simple meal) and dine after sundown (also, simple meal). tea and water in between, if you'd like. then, focus on meditation, etc, during the day.

AHH!

Thank you.

Have fun with that, it's one of the things that the wife and I have had the most fun.

Took nearly three years before our first was made, but in those three years we got to know one another a lot better, now 13 years later, we know each other much better.

So, Fasting.........

any pointers?

Posted 2007-09-25 1:55 PM (#96895 - in reply to #96877)

i just gave you pointers on day fasting.

i typically recommend that it be on a 'day of rest' where you won't be terribly active. it's fine to do yoga, family stuff (that's not too active), but it's necessary to take time away for meditation, contemplation, etc.

and as i said, i recommend a day fast first. it's a short duration of time, easy on the body-mind, and a good way to get started.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-25 2:03 PM (#96898 - in reply to #96888)

Yes that is Fast Enough! If you come to me, I shall make you a nice dinner. Also, bring your family. I am jealous of your kids as they got a Dad Like You.

SCThornley - 2007-09-25 12:33 PM

I will be in Southern Maryland, October 4, for the evening, that's the soonest I'd be within 100 miles of you, Neel.

Maybe that evening would be good?
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-25 2:09 PM (#96899 - in reply to #96895)

zoebird - 2007-09-25 1:55 PM

i just gave you pointers on day fasting.

i typically recommend that it be on a 'day of rest' where you won't be terribly active. it's fine to do yoga, family stuff (that's not too active), but it's necessary to take time away for meditation, contemplation, etc.

and as i said, i recommend a day fast first. it's a short duration of time, easy on the body-mind, and a good way to get started.

Well, actually I'm into one right now, and I'll be coming on 48 hours tonight........

I'm not absolutely sure I'm doing it for one reason, but all around spiritual and physical cleaning may come closest to why I'm doing this right now.

Neel,
I'd only have my oldest and youngest two with me, I'm not sure what shape we'll be in at that time, however, we'll play it by ear. We'll be coming to my parents that day, maybe we'll all come together, but the younger two don't stay awake much past 7 pm, unless everyone else wants to deal with their fussiness.

The oldest and I will be leaving for Pittsburgh the next day, so it can't be a late night.

Posted 2007-09-25 3:05 PM (#96909 - in reply to #96877)

well, the way i see it, since you're already doing it, then keep doing it, until you stop doing it, and then figure out what you did.
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-27 8:58 AM (#97060 - in reply to #96877)

I fast on sundays from tv and computer. some people beleive that just as the digestive system can use breaks from time to time, the things that stimulate us are good to take breaks from as well. The first time I did this I wanted to watch tv and go on the computer, now I dont really miss it on sundays.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-27 9:03 AM (#97062 - in reply to #97060)

Expert Yogi

The way I see it...Fasting is a good tool for balancing - anything,
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-27 9:18 AM (#97063 - in reply to #96877)

ya,

I broke after 72 hours of not eating.

At first when I decided that I should break, I felt defeated.

Then I felt better and had a bite to eat.

It took me 72 hours, I guess, to start to feel really hungry. That's when I couldn't stop thinking about when I would eat again.

I don't know exactly all that happened during the exercise, but I did go through periods of feeling stronger, cleaner, weaker, balanced, unbalanced, dirty---overall I thought it was a good exercise, and I'll do it again.

It wasn't till I started talking about it, that I realized I was going to shorten my fast. It was a very private experience for the first 24 hours, once I confided in others what I was doing I have to admit that I was a bit ashamed, I don't know why.

I think that the next time I fast I'll hold my cards a bit closer, and delve a bit deeper into what's happening 'upstairs'.

At right around 36 hours, that's when I felt a real clarity that I'd not had much of recently. It was a very good experience overall.
tourist
Posted 2007-09-27 10:32 AM (#97072 - in reply to #97063)

Expert Yogi

SCT - sounds like you had some interesting learning going on! I would suggest (not that I am any expert in the field at all....) that you might not want to leave the next fast open ended. Set a time limit and maybe extend it purposefully to another limited time. Knowing a little about your personality, I think it might be easy for you to overdo. I'm right about that, aren't I? Also, it eliminates the feeling of failure or giving up and gives a satisfying end point where you can feel a sense of completion to your project.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-27 11:18 AM (#97075 - in reply to #97072)

Expert Yogi

This is the reason I HATE these "white" knuckle fasts. I think they do more harm than good. Fasting is an art and should handled with the upmost care.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-27 11:37 AM (#97080 - in reply to #96877)

I wouldn't describe it as going white knuckle, I mean come on, I had water at my finger tips at all times and could have broken the fast at any second, and when I needed to break more than I needed to continue I did.

I just want to be honest with myself about what was really going on, and share.

thanks, Tourist, much insight spreading the light.

Edited by SCThornley 2007-09-27 11:40 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-27 12:25 PM (#97085 - in reply to #96877)

I am proud of you brother SCT. Great Job Man.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-27 12:27 PM (#97086 - in reply to #97075)

What! White knuckle fast? What is that? Is it a fast without Water?

A fast without water is BAD in every respect Physical Mental and Spiritual. If it is a short term fast then it might have some good Mental exercise. Otherwise, no good without water.

Cyndi - 2007-09-27 11:18 AM

This is the reason I HATE these "white" knuckle fasts. I think they do more harm than good. Fasting is an art and should handled with the upmost care.

Posted 2007-09-27 1:03 PM (#97091 - in reply to #96877)

i agree with tourist about setting time limits.

when i teach fasting (as a spiritual discipline), i suggest day fasting to start it out. the duration really doesn't have all that much meaning from a spiritual perspective unless it's a directive of the spiritual teacher/school/etc. it's the process of fasting and how that time during fasting is used that is important from a spiritual perspective.

and, i think that you get better "results" from an 'experimental' perspective. it makes sense that many experiments run in a specific amount of time, and then results are gathered. i think that you gathered a lot of information from this fast, and i think that if you try a shorter one, different kinds of fasts (such as consecutive day fasts like ramadan and so on), you'll have even more information to discover what is going on for you while fasting.

and of course, there are people who shouldn't fast due to any number of health concerns (physical, mental, and spiritual health concerns).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)