YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

a thought about constipation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-25 8:38 AM (#96869)
Subject: a thought about constipation

when constipated, something is stuck. so if we eat more would we just get more stuck? a thought I had is when constipated it would make sense to have no solids but only liquids to flush out the constipation and then once it has come out then eat.
just thinking
seeker
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-25 9:41 AM (#96874 - in reply to #96869)
Subject: RE: a thought about constipation

Wrong. When you take more liquid in this case, it comes out of Urine and still leaves the constipation in place. If you drink too much, you become sick due to

a) constipation

b) drinking too much.
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-25 11:57 AM (#96885 - in reply to #96869)

so I am wrong, but yet you offer no insight as to help steer me in a direction. Tell a child they are wrong and do not help them would not make much sense either. So only liquids do not work, are there certain foods that are beneficial. such as eating only fruits and nuts? I am aware that postures, breathing exercises, etc... may be of assistance also. so when you are constipated what things food wise would be good to help with this? I am not asking you to drive my car, I am only asking what are some streets that I may want to turn down and explore.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-25 12:23 PM (#96887 - in reply to #96885)

Expert Yogi

Tubeseeker,

Constipation can be caused from various reasons. Mostly it is due to heat in the body, and from not getting the right nutrition. If you're on a fat, greasy, oily diet, you are going to have major problems. You should eliminate fried foods period...then add whole grains, fiber, small legumes in the form of lentils and chickpeas, fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables to your diet. Taking a tablespoon of Flax Seed Oil in oatmeal every morning is a good start. If you are a meat eater, eating steamed pork is really good for moistening the intestines - but, not too much and only in small amounts...less than 3oz. per meal. Apricot and their seeds is the BEST way to elminate constipation, however, you still need to change your lifestyle. Finding apricots and their seeds is not an easy task in this western world. Walking every day to get the intestines moving is another good thing to do as well.

When constipation sets in, it can be very challenging to balance it. It takes time and getting yourself on a habitual routine with exercise and diet...mostly diet. No sugar and no desserts..those are bad. Along with the fried foods...this includes french fries.

If you can't cook and make food for yourself...find a Whole Foods Market or Earthfare. Eat a little bit of everything from their buffet. Then you'll get some ideas for yourself about what is good and the things you like. Best wishes!

Edited by Cyndi 2007-09-25 12:24 PM
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-25 12:49 PM (#96890 - in reply to #96869)

cyndi, thank you for your reply, I appologize for not adding more insight into my original post.

I only eat eggs on fridays, my cheat day, no other meat products at all for a couple of months
I eat on average about 2 pieces of fruit a day, 3-4 servings of vegtables a day
I cook vegtables in oil usually, almond or olive oil, 3 tablespoons of oil
I eat oatmeal and a piece of fruit for breakfast, big meal at lunch, small meal at dinner
rarely eat 3 hours before bed

I have done my morning practice everyday for 7 weeks, it goes from an hour to 90 minutes, without missing a day and only a handful of times have I done the shortened version but I still did it. sun salute, twisting poses, forward bends, and leg lifts are in my poses

basically when I get stuck it is because I have eaten something a little off my regular eating habits or because of stress. I believe I may have gotten stuck the other day when I ate while being stressed, from what I have read food is not digested as well when this happens and it was an evening meal. I have been much better lately at not getting stuck and right now I am only stuck a little, a day and a half and not completely, but I have put in more then has come out. so assuming this is there a modified diet for a day that will help to balance out the stuck, should I take a little oil straight, etc..? I will look into flaxseed oil for morning oatmeal, I had been putting almond oil in there.

thank you for you time and patience
seeker
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-25 9:09 PM (#96928 - in reply to #96890)

Expert Yogi

Hey Tubeseeker,

You sound like you have a nice diet.

I totally believe environment plays a big role in how we digest our food. I will not eat when certain persons are either present or when I'm on the phone. The main 2 people are my son and my ex-husband. The other times, I will not have knowingly un-pleasant phone converstations or business transactions near the time I eat. Some examples of a knowingly un-pleasant phone conversation are, but not limited tooo, like when I have to deal with the phone company, direct-tv, any US govt. office, the bank!!, etc. get my drift here???

Personally, when I travel, I always scope out a "meditation/bathroom" spot. That's really important. I have been known to take a crap in the woods in lieu of public bathrooms!! Especially when I'm on the road!! I'll never forget once when stuck in 5 o'clock traffic in Baltimore, Maryland with 5 Tibetan Monks. I just simply pulled over and went behind this government building thingy....I didn't care, I had to go pee pee, The monks laughed and we had so much fun with that. Then of course, they started doing it too!! Oh well. I know I gave you a load full. I was trying to make a point. It's not easy in today's world to find a peaceful spot to do a very natural thing. Everyone is always in a hurry, rushing around to meet deadlines and work from someone else's time schedule. If you don't make the time for these things, you can really mess up your body's natural time clock and the rythym...it's really important to have a bowel movement every day...and if you're one of the lucky ones...2 or more is good too. My husband can poop all day long...he never holds any thing in. But, he's also very active and is a body builder.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-09-25 9:10 PM
fechter03
Posted 2007-09-26 12:17 AM (#96937 - in reply to #96928)
Subject: RE: a thought about constipati

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2007-09-25 9:09 PM
I totally believe environment plays a big role in how we digest our food. I will not eat when certain persons are either present or when I'm on the phone.

i agree with the environment thing...i really hate when i'm having lunch in my cubicle and someone comes over to talk about work or put more work on my desk..that's supposed to be my time. its hard to tell them anything..i might just isolate them...they already think i'm a weirdo 'cause i cook ALL my lunches and am not a drinker..

at my previous job i used to actually go out into my car to have lunch to get away from everyone...but that was in a more tropical climate to say the least..
fechter03
Posted 2007-09-26 12:20 AM (#96938 - in reply to #96887)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2007-09-25 12:23 PM
Constipation can be caused from various reasons. Mostly it is due to heat in the body, and from not getting the right nutrition. If you're on a fat, greasy, oily diet, you are going to have major problems. You should eliminate fried foods period...then add whole grains, fiber, small legumes in the form of lentils and chickpeas, fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables to your diet.

i've actually found that adding lots of fibre/beans/lentils/etc. makes me significantly more gassy and noisy (makes me "regular" which i really like but the noisy stomach is embarrassing.. ).
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-26 9:09 AM (#96951 - in reply to #96869)

thank you cyndi and fetcher, I can relate to both of your posts.
thanks
seeker
Orbilia
Posted 2007-09-26 9:41 AM (#96955 - in reply to #96951)

Many folk find citrus is a good 'shifter', eg oranges. Often, it's a lack of soluble fibre that's the problem rather than fibre in general. Also, insuffient hydration and/or hormonal issues, e.g. some women get a little 'backed-up' prior to menstruation.

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-26 10:02 AM (#96964 - in reply to #96885)

Hey Tube: You are NO child, you are a wise A$$ ( I bow down to BBB!) I only answered your question. As for your next question, the Street is: Find the cause of your constipation (this is different for different people) and address that cause.

tubeseeker - 2007-09-25 11:57 AM

so I am wrong, but yet you offer no insight as to help steer me in a direction. Tell a child they are wrong and do not help them would not make much sense either. So only liquids do not work, are there certain foods that are beneficial. such as eating only fruits and nuts? I am aware that postures, breathing exercises, etc... may be of assistance also. so when you are constipated what things food wise would be good to help with this? I am not asking you to drive my car, I am only asking what are some streets that I may want to turn down and explore.
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-26 12:11 PM (#96987 - in reply to #96869)

maybe you need to go back to your guru and meditate for six hours a day until you find enlightenment, the posts coming from you have been arrogant and rude from the begining to say the least. Yes I am a wise @$# as you say, I know it and I admit it, thanks for the insight. if I had been so enlightened as yourself I do not think I would have 6 million posts on yoga forums. I would be doing something better with my time then to run around giving "I am so high and mighty" remarks on forums. You have let yourself be angered and thrown out insults, I am not suprised. I accept that I have been rude to you, I can admit it, but maybe you need some type of wake up call, or maybe the phone has been ringing for a long time and you never answered. I dont care who you are or what you think you know. Dont care how much time you have spent with GOD, Nothing you have done in your life impresses me, all I know you from is how you have acted towards me and humility is not a way to describe it. do you disagree? Have I been completely humble, no I have not
good luck in the journey for obviously you are not done searching
seeker

Edited by tubeseeker 2007-09-26 12:13 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-26 1:09 PM (#97001 - in reply to #96869)

hey Tube: You do not know me. If you were here, I would have kissed you. The term I used 'Wise A$$' was used with a humor and bowing to BBB means Big Brother Bruce, who is my Guru in that term. While reading the previous post, you have two choice:

- take the term 'wise A$$' with wisdom, I mean lightly.

- or ignore that sentence and read the rest, I mean take rest.
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-26 3:17 PM (#97013 - in reply to #97001)

spin things whatever way you want and rationalize things in your own mind, what I have written is my observation and maybe you deserve it, maybe you dont, that is up to you to decide, not me

with my posts to you you can take it three ways

find what you think is wrong and use that as evidence to discredit the rest,
find what you think is right and discredit the rest

or find what is right and wrong, observing from a place of neutrality

good luck in your search
wise a$$
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-26 6:24 PM (#97023 - in reply to #96869)

Darling Tube:
You are the original poster of this thread. You have asked a question and your goal should be to find answer to your question. I answered your original question. Then you asked me another question stating that my answer is NOT enough. So, answered that question (see the answer again). During that second answer, I added a term "Wise A$$" to mean that you were not childish as you quoted for yourself, but you were quite inquisitive. Then, you forgot your original question, and my second answer to that, and you are stuck with "how I am", "how you are", and "how everything else other than your question and my answer is".

So, do not worry about these things. Just focus on "what the cause of your constipation" is and work on that.

And, everything (I mean the constipation part) shall be fine.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-26 7:20 PM (#97025 - in reply to #96938)

Expert Yogi

fechter03 - 2007-09-26 12:20 AM

i've actually found that adding lots of fibre/beans/lentils/etc. makes me significantly more gassy and noisy (makes me "regular" which i really like but the noisy stomach is embarrassing.. ).

Oh yea, I know about that. I try to get all my gas out in the morning upon arising, another words...I'm a morning farter, It takes time for your body to adjust to eating legumes if you are not used to it. Even if I take a break from them, they are hard for me to digest sometimes, especially the larger variety...anything over a Black-eye pea size, that is!! Which is why I add cumin seeds to all my legumes. Cumin dissipates the gas and helps the digestion process. Cumin is also known as the "herb" of the stomach, it is a digestive stimulant and appetizer.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-26 10:31 PM (#97033 - in reply to #96869)

Dear fetcher: You should eat fibre only in the quantity you can handle. If too much gas is caused, it causes loss of energy and you shall definitely find this in your energy level. Gas should be only in the amount it is relieved without distress and any external stimuli.

This is very very important for a student of Yoga Exercise.
kedar
Posted 2011-12-16 5:55 AM (#209630 - in reply to #96869)
Subject: Re: a thought about constipation

I think Vajrasan helps with constipation issues.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)