YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Meditater
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Trev
Posted 2007-09-21 11:12 PM (#96737)
Subject: New Meditater

I have recently discovered the art of meditation. About three days ago actually hehe.

Well I am by no means even an avid meditater but the last two times I meditated something strange happened.

My legs and waist felt numb, like a tingly numb. But it was just my legs and waist, nothing above my waist felt out of the normal. Also I am almost positive I heard a noise, or felt a noise. However the more time that elapses from the time I meditated, the less I believe I heard/felt it.

Am I crazy or is there an explanation?

Also when I end my meditation I feel disconnected from reality, like things feel new and strange as if I was born again. Like nothing feels real...

Advice?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dreamoftheiris
Posted 2007-09-21 11:46 PM (#96739 - in reply to #96737)
Subject: RE: New Meditater

Sometimes that happens to me. It's normal, just the process of meditation. The noise thing is very common, some people even report voices. The leg thing was probably just poor circulation in the legs. Nothing to worry about.
tourist
Posted 2007-09-22 9:57 AM (#96755 - in reply to #96737)

Expert Yogi

Trev - our standard advice here is to be sure you are learning from someone very experienced and qualified to teach meditation. Are you learning on your own? From a book? What is your practice? Meditation techniques appear simple, but there is a great deal of complexity involved and, as you have seen, many things can arise that need the advice of a teacher.
Dreamoftheiris
Posted 2007-09-23 7:01 PM (#96795 - in reply to #96737)

You are your greatest teacher, there's no need to look outside yourself.
southernyogi
Posted 2007-09-26 10:24 AM (#96971 - in reply to #96737)

I am new to slient medatation. I try to meditated 5-10 each morning. I've taken guided medatation and reading some wonderful books.
Just a few moments every morning helps me to remain grounded.
I also take aside a few moments to send blessings.
I am very new to this, it is a wonderful addition to my moving meditation with Ashtanga.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-26 3:08 PM (#97011 - in reply to #96795)

Everything in the world is always learnt from an outside Teacher. Only Realization is one's own. This includes Galilio Gallie who learnt from Copernicus, who got some ideas from elsewhere. ETC.

All the persons on this board learnt the words Yoga and Meditation from somewhere else. After pratcing them they shall learn their Self, which they realize themselves.

Without External Internal has no meaning.

Dreamoftheiris - 2007-09-23 7:01 PM

You are your greatest teacher, there's no need to look outside yourself.
Dreamoftheiris
Posted 2007-09-30 10:17 PM (#97232 - in reply to #96737)

Surly there must be some form of learning from an outside source, but you can only go so far with it. J. Krishnamurti taught that "that truth cannot be reached by any path, religion or sect. To find it, the seeker must strive to ascend to it through his discovery." To truly find out the Truth you have to go deep within yourself.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-30 11:09 PM (#97233 - in reply to #96737)

Dear Dream: I understand what you are stating. However, outside learning has to be present prior to an internal one, except of course exceptional cases. And, whether external or internal, one has to reach a point of Trust or Comfort Level, to start the practice. And, without the practice, nothing is reached. And, the philosophers those who did not practice but just stated various logic neither reach themselves anywhere, not take others anywhere, except leading them to confusion.

Therefore, it is important in the Yoga study to try to learn from an experienced teacher and also to practice. Or, at least practice if one feels one has learnt to a Trust point, whether internally or externally. And, when one has reached a point of doubt, of course, one has to see external experienced teacher.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-01 10:14 AM (#97243 - in reply to #97233)

Expert Yogi

Some things look easy and it causes people to think they need no outside help. For example, many people who take up running feel that it is so simple they can just lace up their $3 running shoes and start running. They might even be smart enough to know to start with short mileage and increase gradually. But then one day they get a pain in the foot or their shoes wear out or they find they can't get faster even though they have tried and tried. They get guidance. They come online and ask questions, but the running forum they go on know nothing about their age, fitness, type of terrain they run on, their shoes, their motivation for wanting to run in the first place. They can get some help, but if they went straight to a good running clinic and spoke to a (trained and qualified) coach, they would do much better, much faster and avoid injuries and pain along the way.

But many people seem to go into meditation with an approach equivalent to running a marathon in bare feet and no training. They come and ask how to levitate (or whatever) and want to do it right away with just a bit of help from folks online. Sounds dangerous to me.......
ReddyKilowatt
Posted 2007-11-09 10:36 AM (#99270 - in reply to #97011)

Without External Internal has no meaning.

Although from the context I understand what you are intending, in the long run, I think it is the other way around: it is the internal that gives meaning to the external. ;-)

We learn certain things from outside, but the verification always comes from within. We should never under-estimate our own potential. In other words, learn from others, but true knowledge is experienced in the inner laboratory.
drragsthomas
Posted 2007-11-22 12:13 PM (#99770 - in reply to #96737)

hi , this is in reference to that saying that "dream " quoted that to find ourself we have to go deep within ourself i need some clarification on this deep with ourself how deep? and inside deep of what ? and what we are supposed to e seeing along the way and at the end of the depth ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)