YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Global Mala
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-13 3:36 PM (#96187)
Subject: Global Mala

Is anyone doing 108 Sun Salutes this year? We are doing ours on Bayshore Blvd in Tampa Florida, 8:00 a.m., Sept. 23.
http://www.globalmala.org/

Never done it before, but I think it will be great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-13 6:17 PM (#96194 - in reply to #96187)
Subject: RE: Global Mala

I am not challenging, but:

I do not uderstand how 108 sun salutations shall help World Peace. And, I feel that if one does 108 salutations when the body is ready only for 12 or 24, it will be a violent act.

What do you think?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-13 8:52 PM (#96201 - in reply to #96194)

Expert Yogi

NB, that makes perfect sense to me!
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-14 12:16 AM (#96212 - in reply to #96194)

kulkarnn - 2007-09-14 2:17 AM

I am not challenging, but:

I do not uderstand how 108 sun salutations shall help World Peace. And, I feel that if one does 108 salutations when the body is ready only for 12 or 24, it will be a violent act.

What do you think?

Hi Neel,

I agree with you completely, though it's not just about the 108 Sun salutations.

The main purpose of the event is to unite the world wide Yoga community so that they may form a 'symbolic' mala around the planet on the UN International Peace Day.

Each group is encouraged to offer their Yoga Mala according to their yoga tradition, so they may offer 108 Sun Salutations, 108 rounds of a specific mantra (such as the Gayatri mantra), 108 minutes of meditation or kirtan etc.

If a group decided to practise the Sun Saluations, not everyone needs to do all 108.

Depending on their ability, maybe each student could attempt 10 rounds each, which totals 108 or some variation as long as the total collective effort achieves the target.

The important thing is to do something.

The day is really about using Yoga to create awareness and to raise money for charities such as:

Global warming (Trees for the Future)
Children refugees of war (War Child)
HIV/AIDS (YouthAIDS)
Aids in Africa (RED and The Global Fund)

Or any seva projects that the practitioners may be supporting.

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-14 9:43 AM (#96230 - in reply to #96187)

I see. Now, I have one more question. Actually, these questions are genuine, because there may be something I do not know or understand. So, plese input you all.

- Why is an activity of some people doing whatever number of asanas, mantras, etc. necessary for those who want to donate to a particular cause? For example, if I wish to donate 25 dollars to a victim of war, I do not need anybody to do any number of sun salutations. Oh, I see. This is because I am aware. Yes, but I do not want anyone to do any sun salutations to make me aware. What I then want is: They should make me aware by telling me: What a war means, what a war vicitim means, and what they are suffering from and how my money shall be used by them, and what qualification they have in that activity. In my case, I am going to go with my heart, not because they made me aware.

- Also, in my personal case, I tend to help the one whom I see. For example, I feel bad for the war kids. But, I never donate anything to their cause. I do not know them. If my neighbour's kid is not able to get admission due to fee shortage, I shall like to give whatever I can right away. I am not saying that others should do what I am doing. But, I feel weary of the Organization.

- However, in the case of extreme emergency such as Floods, Second World War, etc. I tend to deviate from my policy.

- I wish all the best to the Global Mala, though.
Phil
Posted 2007-09-14 10:23 AM (#96237 - in reply to #96230)

Hi Neel,
Could not agree with you more!
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-14 10:29 AM (#96239 - in reply to #96237)

Expert Yogi

Me three, NB!

It's almost worse than and borderlining the Christian movement about preaching the gospel of YOGA. It's not suppose to be this way. Oops, I forgot...yoga is now a business here in the US, not a spiritual practice.

Phil, I LOVE your avatar..he's sooo cute,
Phil
Posted 2007-09-14 10:40 AM (#96243 - in reply to #96239)

Thanks Cyndi,
It's very strange how Yoga is such a commodity in the world today, I'm not sure it's a good thing?
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-14 10:43 AM (#96246 - in reply to #96187)

Yes Neel, you're right.

I suppose it's an ego thing (in the Western sense of the word) where the person is saying if I can achieve X then you pay my charity Y.

I don't know about India or the States, but the sponsorship concept is very big in the UK with all the major charities encouraging people to climb a mountain or jump out of a plane etc while collecting money for charity. The girl guides and scouts do it all the time with sponsored walks and similar activities.

If it raises people's awareness of the benefits of Yoga and brings attention to the plight of the world's less fortunate, then I think it's a good thing.

Jonathon
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-14 10:43 AM (#96247 - in reply to #96230)

I'm just trying to remain positive about it. You can do 27 or 54 instead of 108.. whatever you are doing...

I think the idea is that yoga students do have a point of view about the world and if you share this view, this gives you an experience and opportunity to take the personal into the community, into the state/country/world. The sun salutes to me are a gesture of bowing and giving ones self to something greater. So it makes sense to me. I hardly see it as violent.

I like to participate in heartwalks for charity and I've been selected many times to help organize fund raising campaigns at my job.

Edited by TampaEric 2007-09-14 11:08 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-14 10:59 AM (#96249 - in reply to #96247)

Expert Yogi

I still don't understand why people feel they need to raise the awareness of Yoga?? What is this point? I'm telling you, this is very similar to the Christian movement of preaching the gospel, winning all souls, and converting everyone. I think that is BS and the wrong approach. Traditionally, this is not how yoga is practiced.

If you're going to raise money for charity...do a walk-a-thon. I've done lots of those. Anybody want to do a hike-a-thon here in the mountains?? I'm minutes away from the Appalachain Trail. I'll lead the way,
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-14 11:01 AM (#96250 - in reply to #96246)

Just to clarify.

In Tampa, the Sun Saluations are a free event. There is no money involved in what we are doing. (whether you do 1 or 10 We are not fund-raising.

Following the sun salutes two studios.. "mine" and another one are hosting two classes that will all go to charity. This is important, because the two studios are joining together and donating to the same charity.

In fact, the owner of our studio is very active in rehabilitation of war veterans. She works with soldiers that have suffered loss limbs and other trama and is using yoga to help them heal. She travels to Washington to a center there on a regular basis.

Best to everyone.

Eric

jonnie
Posted 2007-09-14 11:08 AM (#96251 - in reply to #96249)

Cyndi - 2007-09-15 6:59 PM

I still don't understand why people feel they need to raise the awareness of Yoga??

Hi Cyndi,

If a person is experiencing high levels of stress in their life, if they are diabetic, stiff, have a bad back etc, then practising Yoga will surely help them (and that's only mentioning a few of the physical benefits). How will people know if their is no awareness?

I agree that much Yoga advertising is unessessary but not all of it. How did you 'find' Yoga if no one made you aware?

Jonathon
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-14 11:23 AM (#96253 - in reply to #96249)

It's kinda hard to talk about something that I haven't done yet.

I don't want to get into the discussion on the christian movement. I do believe there are good people in all faiths.

One day I would like to hike the Appalachain Trail. My cousin did it one summer and had a blast.

Nick
Posted 2007-09-14 2:00 PM (#96262 - in reply to #96253)

Hi there,
In that case, is it wrong to observe a minute's silence, as we do in England, for those fallen in the first world war? I personally have no obection to that, and don't see the sun salutes as any different.

Nick
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-14 3:01 PM (#96264 - in reply to #96262)

Hey Nick,

I don't think the question was directed at me. Because I don't know what to say.

I wouldn't be the person to ask about moments of silence. I don't have a problem with it.

Eric
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-14 3:04 PM (#96266 - in reply to #96187)

FYI:

Firstly, I did not know what was going on. I had the same question about walk-a-thon or running for funding for Health Society, etc. My only question was: What does that activity (such as sun salutes, walks, running, etc.) have to do with some one else donating. I would be more happy if the donating person also does sun salutes, walking and running. Also, I said Violent because of the number 108. Why should there be some target such as 108, 5 miles run, 100 miles walk? Once there is a target, a person shall try to meet it even if that is much beyond their capacity, and that is Violent, and giving WRONG awareness of yoga, running, and walking.

If someone wants to increase awareness of something good such as Health, Yoga, Devotion to God, I do not find a problem as long as their own awareness is definitely present. But, then there should be NO fund raising, etc. I am still not clear.

If I go to the open air and perform Sun Salutations in a Florida weather (as indicated by Tampa) each day, day after day, that shall automatically raise the awareness of myself and others who see me. There is not much beyond that is necessary.

But, if someone is doing something good with good intentions, I am not having any problem. I am not party to that. If they give me a good cup of chai, I might visit.
Ravi
Posted 2007-09-14 3:06 PM (#96267 - in reply to #96187)

I think the mala project is great idea........ it isn't promoting awareness about yoga, that would defeat the whole purpose of yoga and what it represents.

I see it as raising awareness for all of these horrible inflictions that have burdened our society............

Same thing as a moment of silence, song, or prayer..... all of which are encouraged on this special day..........

If anything we can see that it is through our practice we can become humble and compassionate to the suffering of others, dedicating some spare time to raising awareness, not because we are doing Surya Namaskar.

To see this just as an act just of physically doing the asanas is inept.

Metta,

Ravi

Ravi
Posted 2007-09-14 3:17 PM (#96268 - in reply to #96187)

The purpose of the Global Mala is to unite the global yoga community from every continent, school or approach to form a "mala around the earth" through collective practices based upon the sacred cycle of 108 on Sept. 21st and 22nd, Fall Equinox as the yoga world's offering to further the UN International Peace Day. Each center offers their form of a Yoga Mala according to their yoga tradition and inspiration:

• 108 Sun Salutations (or variations of 27, 56)
  • 108 rounds of mantra such as the Gayatri or Maha Mrityanjaya
  • 108 rounds of a kriya
  • 108 minutes of meditation, kirtan, movement meditation

To think of everyone gathering in the name of peace is such a wonderful thing....

Mucho Metta,

Ravi

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-14 5:54 PM (#96272 - in reply to #96187)

Dear Ravi:
OM namaH Shivaaya. Please note that I am not opposing the event. I am only expressing my concern.

Last year, I was asked to give a FREE Yoga Philosophy class at one studio. I thought only 2 or 3 shall come as to my regular class. But there were 50 of them. It was a chain of classes ncluding exercise classes. So, I verfied the attendants were in fact coming for Philosophy and not for exercise.

Now, I gave this class free and all. But, few of them were lying down on the ground listening to me. I think one went into Shavasana.

If it is my class at home, my hands shall soon go to cane. But, it was another persons's studio.

Anyway. What I have seen is: This kind of gatherings occured in oppositions of war, etc. But, there was not much effect. I feel.

Anyway, I shall do something 108 in terms of raising the awareness.

joscmt
Posted 2007-09-14 8:33 PM (#96276 - in reply to #96187)

Several studios in the DC area are getting together and putting on an event downtown..

http://www.dcglobalmala.com/

Not sure I can make it though...
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-14 10:18 PM (#96280 - in reply to #96276)

Expert Yogi

Ya'll don't get me wrong here..I'm all for world peace and a better planet and anything else good that could happen. I really don't mean to be a "downer" about this. However, I still think that these things are not helping the situation. There's too many people out in the world doing way too much preaching and NOT being the example. Have you ever noticed how many friggin CHURCHES are in America??? It's blows my mind sometimes. You would think that with all the churches in our country that we'd be really spiritually minded people. Using Yoga to make a political/spiritual statement is kinda not right in alot of ways, especially when everyone goes back home and nothing changes, the lifestyles don't change...even the yoga practitioners themselves are making slow advancements into the practice, but not much. It's going to take a MAJOR event to change this human condition. We are all on a spiral downhill slide. The whole thing is just too "preachy" to me. I grew up in a Southern Baptist family...I know how this goes. Same concept, same story...with a slight twist...it's yoga and new thought in today's world.

Anyway, it's not the same as paying tribute to the War casualties...that has an entirely different meaning.

Okay Eric, come on up and let's go hike the AT..I'm always ready for that!!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-14 10:44 PM (#96282 - in reply to #96276)

I went to this site. A very interesting Agenda, indeed!!!!!!!!!! No representation from Shree Shivananda Yoga? Anyway, something better than nothing!

joscmt - 2007-09-14 8:33 PM

Several studios in the DC area are getting together and putting on an event downtown..

http://www.dcglobalmala.com/

Not sure I can make it though...
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-15 12:23 AM (#96289 - in reply to #96280)

Cyndi - 2007-09-15 6:18 AM

Using Yoga to make a political/spiritual statement is kinda not right in alot of ways, especially when everyone goes back home and nothing changes, the lifestyles don't change...even the yoga practitioners themselves are making slow advancements into the practice, but not much.

Hi Cyndi,

Yes I agree with you on this.

Jonathon
Nick
Posted 2007-09-15 6:30 AM (#96293 - in reply to #96264)

Hi Eric,
The comment wasn't directed at any body But what I was trying to say was that when I observe a minute's silence for the those killed by war, I am also observing a minute's wish for world peace, and that in this way, the two ceremonies are linked-for me, at any rate

Nick
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)