YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When to eat?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

strazin
Posted 2007-09-12 1:27 AM (#96100)
Subject: When to eat?

I was reading about the Ayurvedic system of diet, and aparrently I am a very heavily Vatta type. I was amazed to see how precisely my personality and lifestyle habits fit the Vatta description. The source I am reading says that breakfast is highly reccomended for Vatta. What does this mean? Should I eat right when I wake up? When is the best time to eat breakfast? The problem is that I also practice meditation and asanas in the mornings, which takes a couple hours.

I'm generally confused about how to space out my meals and how often to eat. I went to a Sivananda Ashram recently, where we only ate twice per day, strictly vegetarian. But based on what I am reading, it sounds like the Vatta type should eat more often. Some types of meat are even reccomended as healthy for Vatta -- chicken and turkey, for example.

Also, where can I learn more about the Ayurvedic system? Is there a good book? Or a good online resource? Is anyone on this forum an expert?

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-12 9:57 AM (#96116 - in reply to #96100)
Subject: RE: When to eat?

What Shivanandashrama is telling you is Yoga System in their style. What the book is telling you is Ayurvedic System. Both may have some commonality, but they are different and their goals are different.
fechter03
Posted 2007-09-13 9:15 PM (#96203 - in reply to #96100)

Extreme Veteran

a book i just got is "Ayurveda: Life, Health and Longevity" by Svoboda.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-14 9:57 AM (#96231 - in reply to #96203)

Expert Yogi

Hey Fechter,

That's a very good book. It's the first book I ever read about Ayurveda. It was recommended to me by an Indian woman several years ago. I refer to this book alot. I've read it several times due to the intensity of information in it. I learn something new every time I read it. Take care,
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-14 10:19 AM (#96234 - in reply to #96100)

Expert Yogi

strazin - 2007-09-12 1:27 AM

I was reading about the Ayurvedic system of diet, and aparrently I am a very heavily Vatta type. I was amazed to see how precisely my personality and lifestyle habits fit the Vatta description. The source I am reading says that breakfast is highly reccomended for Vatta. What does this mean? Should I eat right when I wake up? When is the best time to eat breakfast? The problem is that I also practice meditation and asanas in the mornings, which takes a couple hours.

It's not about eating when you first wake up and things like that. You should develop a morning routine and keep it pretty simple. For instance, you should not eat when you first wake up. You should stretch your body and have a glass of water. Wait for 15-30 mins. Then eat breakfast. Personally, I drink chai in the mornings and eat a simple breakfast of either oatmeal or toast. If you're going to meditate and practice asanas....definitely don't eat first, water is okay and should be the first thing you do. Water helps stimulate your circulation and helps the body flush toxins that are stored during your sleep. For persons with a strong Vata dosha, its really best to space out everything you eat and do. Avoid doing too much at one time. This is a habit that every one should develop for best of health.

I'm generally confused about how to space out my meals and how often to eat. I went to a Sivananda Ashram recently, where we only ate twice per day, strictly vegetarian. But based on what I am reading, it sounds like the Vatta type should eat more often.

That's right. However, you have to eat the right things and the right quantity in order for your body to be satisfied. I don't agree with eating throughout the day and the 6-8 small meals concept. That's just going to make you fat and is not realistic. I do agree with eating smaller portions and eating nutritious food items that satisfy your body. I also agree with putting yourself on a schedule and sticking real close to that schedule. No eating at night unless it is an occasional thing that can't be avoided. The best way to determine this is to experiment with what works best for you. If you need help with that, find an Ayurvedic practitioner that can assist you. It's hard to do reading from the books...even the one that Fechter and I were referring to. That book has a lot of good information in it, but its not good for a beginner to read and start practicing. I worked with a TCMD for several years learning and getting to know my body and the best foods for my body type. It's really important to learn this.

If you want a really good book, I HIGHLY recommend Paul Pitchford's book, "Healing with Whole Foods, Oriental Traditions and Modern Nutrition". He dedicates a section of this book to Ayurveda concepts as well as TCM and the Holistic approach. It's the perfect read for a beginner and its a great book to keep handy in the kitchen. Lots of recipes and good information on specific meats, produce, grains, herbs, etc.

On page 214, there is a dedicated section about "Meal Schedules". It shows the body's time clock and teaches you how to eat properly. It also teaches you about the nature of one, two or three meal options.

fechter03
Posted 2007-09-14 11:45 PM (#96287 - in reply to #96231)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2007-09-14 9:57 AM

Hey Fechter,

That's a very good book. It's the first book I ever read about Ayurveda. It was recommended to me by an Indian woman several years ago. I refer to this book alot. I've read it several times due to the intensity of information in it. I learn something new every time I read it. Take care,

Cyndi,

i actually got it based on your suggestion some time ago..don't remember which thread exactly..
fechter03
Posted 2007-09-14 11:49 PM (#96288 - in reply to #96234)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2007-09-14 10:19 AMIf you want a really good book, I HIGHLY recommend Paul Pitchford's book, "Healing with Whole Foods, Oriental Traditions and Modern Nutrition". He dedicates a section of this book to Ayurveda concepts as well as TCM and the Holistic approach. It's the perfect read for a beginner and its a great book to keep handy in the kitchen. Lots of recipes and good information on specific meats, produce, grains, herbs, etc.

On page 214, there is a dedicated section about "Meal Schedules". It shows the body's time clock and teaches you how to eat properly. It also teaches you about the nature of one, two or three meal options.

alright, Cyndi, how many other good book are you hiding up in the mountains??
kedar
Posted 2011-12-16 5:57 AM (#209631 - in reply to #96100)
Subject: Re: When to eat?

If you have ever fasted for more than a day, you would know that the best time to eat is when you are really hungry. When you are desperate to eat something.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)