YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Colony collapse disorder
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

Nick
Posted 2007-09-07 2:39 AM (#95832)
Subject: Colony collapse disorder

Hi there,
Bee stuff, honey lovers!

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2007/s2026614.htm

Nick
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-07 8:43 AM (#95841 - in reply to #95832)
Subject: RE: Colony collapse disorder

Expert Yogi

Hey Nick,

This report is not accurate. As usual they've jumped the gun on this one. They're grasping for straws.

Fact is, this virus is not the only cause of CCD. They have discovered that this particular virus before, and it has been found in healthy bees too, with no problems. In fact, there's lots of virus's that bees are exposed to - I can name several types that are devasting to bees. Just like someone catching a cold or flu....some get it and some don't. The bottom line here is the immunity issue and the lack of beekeeping management practices. Americans and Europeans are killing their own bees by the way they keep bees - period. They don't really understand the nature of bees. The bees have less and less areas to forage for the flowers and plants they need to keep the colonies alive and healthy. Instead they bombard and manipulate the hives with chemicals and things that bees don't need and that are very harmful. Over a period of time this lowers the entire colony's immune system. It's very simple. Its the same practice they do with human beings.

Thank God I'm a country girl here in the mountains with all my bees and honey,
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-07 11:40 AM (#95857 - in reply to #95832)

There is no need of any reports to understand that 'Honey is a food made by flowers for bees to pollinate trees, and bees gather it for their own consumption and later human beings use it for their own consumption'. This process comes with a price.

Coffee was NOT created by GOD for me to drink. But, I do, of course with a price!
Nick
Posted 2007-09-07 11:48 AM (#95859 - in reply to #95841)

Hi Cyndi,
I've been making a ponf recently so that frogs have a place to live in London-they are facing much the same problem as bees over here.

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-07 6:57 PM (#95891 - in reply to #95859)

Expert Yogi

Hey Nick,

That's really great!! I have a pond too. Although, it's hard to get the frogs to stay...we have a big river down below and they seem to go back and forth. The frogs here are having a very hard time - even in the countryside It's wierd, in the summer months you can be riding along with your windows down. Sometimes you'll come to an area and that's all you'll hear are the frogs. It's like they move around, but they have their favorite spots. I wonder sometimes how many frogs there are to make that particular sound. It sounds like thousands of them, but in reality, it's probably not. So many colonies have been literally wiped out mostly due to human destruction of their habitats. It's so sad because I love hearing them. My husband says the Nepalis say the frogs are praying for rain. I like the ones that sound like they are playing with sticks,

Just make sure you have a way for them to exit....the toads seem to get stuck. I had a big fat one die cause he couldn't get out. I didn't even think about it until it happened. I thought all frogs could jump...HIGH. Oh well.

Best wishes with your endeavor. Frogs are so important to our environment.
Nick
Posted 2007-09-08 1:51 AM (#95901 - in reply to #95891)

Hi Cyndi,
My first frog moved in the other day-he/she is called Hubert I did a but of research on British wildlife ponds before I started builing it. So it's got shallow areas for frog spawn, it's three feet deep, it's got sloping sides, it'll have moss and grass and small stones on the sides, flat stones for them to bask on, piles of wood near the pond to hibernate in, a bog garden next to the pond, and I'm probably going to put in a water sprinkler or something which detects movement to scare off cats-my two love to kill them and then leave them on the path to show me-they did it at the last house.
So it's froggy heaven-lots of pond skaters just turned up, good frog food I think!

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-08 10:05 AM (#95908 - in reply to #95901)

Expert Yogi

I'm training all my 9 cats not to eat my frogs. So far, they listen to me. Now if I can stop Pygmy Puff or "Puff Girl" as I call her, from chasing the big beautiful butterfly's and dragonfly's....I will be happy. She's such a little biatch cat!

Okay, I have to ask...what is a pond skater?? I hope your not going to say mosquitoes?? Although...if they are mosquitoes...I hope the frogs hurry up and eat them,
tourist
Posted 2007-09-08 10:25 AM (#95912 - in reply to #95908)

Expert Yogi

They are big on ponds and bogs in the UK, aren't they? I have a cousin who volunteers with a group that builds them in various places.

I once spent a night in the spring at a B&B that had a frog pond. OMG what a racket!
Nick
Posted 2007-09-08 11:13 AM (#95914 - in reply to #95912)

Hi all,
A pond skater is one of those little flys that can stand on the water:

http://www.rampantscotland.com/visit/graphics/pond_skater_clyde_muirsheil7269a.jpg

Yes, there is a movement to protect and build ponds-but obviously this is in reaction to the number of ponds being reduced-land reclamation and so on. I guess roads also increase the hazards for frogs.

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-08 6:04 PM (#95929 - in reply to #95914)

Expert Yogi

Oh yea, I have these. I've never heard them called that. I call them water spiders. I didn't know frogs ate them though?

In the higher elevations here in mountains, in the small creeks, these spiders are huge. I mean really huge like 3" in diameter. They're really cool. This is in their natural habitat which is what I consider the "pure land"...untouched by humans pureland,
joscmt
Posted 2007-09-08 6:19 PM (#95930 - in reply to #95832)

We have those little suckers all over our creek and pond out in the Shenandoah... I always called them water skeeters..
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-09-08 10:50 PM (#95937 - in reply to #95832)

In the slow moving parts of the river here we have a bug that skims across the surface of the water. I don't think they have legs like that though. My husband always says watch out for the water bugs, they'll sew you up. He says they'll sew your fingers and toes together. Be careful people.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)