YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Supta K vs. Yoganidrasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Spring Haze
Posted 2007-09-04 9:21 PM (#95658)
Subject: Supta K vs. Yoganidrasana

Ok, I still cannot get myself into Supta Kurmasana when practicing at home alone. I have also never been able to bind my hands in the past. Yesterday, I decided to try Yoganidrasana instead of Supta Kurmasana (I had had better luck with it in the past).

I had almost no trouble getting my feet behind my head...AND, although I couldn't fully bind, I could touch my fingertips.

Any thoughts of the benefits of Yoganidrasana vs. Supta Kurmasana? I think that I might just skip Supta K for a while and work on Yoganidrasana.

I always feel like my shoulders get kid of "stuck" behind my legs in Supta K, but they just sort of "pop through" if I am on my back. It's almost like the floor is holding me back...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-09-05 2:34 AM (#95663 - in reply to #95658)
Subject: RE: Supta K vs. Yoganidrasana

Hi Gretchen,
How about practicing yoganidrasana, and then afterwards do supta-that way, you can see how the first posture is warming you up and gradually improving your attempt at the second posture.
You could do his every session, or every few sessions.
I would guess that you are finding the yogandrasana easier because you can flex your spine much more easily in this posture-although in both postures, you actually wasnt to get the spine as straight as you can-once you get your legs behind your head, try to pull the pelvis back down to the floor-this increases the benefits for both the spine and the hips.

Nick
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-05 9:02 AM (#95673 - in reply to #95658)
Subject: RE: Supta K vs. Yoganidrasana

Yoga sleep is much easier for me too.

I've been binding one arm at a time in Supta K. Then I touch my fingers together as you do...I really feel the secret is a strong Uddiyana bandha. I might try what Nick is suggesting..adding it as a research posture.

Another thing that can help is adding Baddha Konasana C. Bringing the feet forward and fold with a rounded back.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)