YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mysore vs home practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

jpg
Posted 2007-09-03 8:25 PM (#95581)
Subject: Mysore vs home practice

Can someone explain the Mysore concept? I understand that the instructor advances you to the next pose only after you've mastered the preceding ones. Am I doing "something wrong" by just jumping into a full primary series DVD and trying to make it through the whole thing?

In other words, is it really an Ashtanga practice if you self teach it, as opposed to the one pose at a time system?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-03 11:59 PM (#95592 - in reply to #95581)
Subject: RE: Mysore vs home practice

The main ways to practise Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga are in a taught class (where the instructor instructs), a counting class (where the student is expected to be familiar with the practise and the sequence and the instructor counts out the vinyasas), a Mysore class (where the student works at their own pace and the instructor walks around giving individual instruction and adjustments) and self practise (where the student works independently with no teacher).

So, technically, Mysore and self practise are very different practises.

If you self teach you are still practising Ashtanga, though in an ideal world you would follow the above sequence of instruction.

Jonathon
Nick
Posted 2007-09-04 1:41 AM (#95595 - in reply to #95581)

Hi John,
I think Jonathon summed it up nice and succinctly-might have to borrow that mate, well done
Personally, I cannot see any good basis for not allowing students to deviate from a sequence-it doesn't make any sense, anatomically, or educationally. if you want someone to learn something, you tailor the education according to their physical and mental make-up. In Victorian times, The teacher may have got the students to repeat a sentence or sum after them, and then beaten them if they couldn't do it in the manner prescribed (the good old days ).
So for me, mysore is just a control mechanism whereby students are made to feel stupid and inferior, or clever and superior, by virtue of nothing more than genetics and luck.
So you carry on, don't be subordinate to a form of teaching which is outdated and wrong!

Nick
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-04 7:29 AM (#95602 - in reply to #95595)

Nick - 2007-09-04 9:41 AM

I think Jonathon summed it up nice and succinctly-might have to borrow that mate, well done

You're welcome. Borrow away. I taught your core strength routine this morning at an Iyengar teachers gathering, which impressed everyone and I gave you no credit at all.

I agree that there is really no need to stop a student at a specific pose in the primary series.

What with my recent lack of practise (and sleep) due to baby Charlie, I'm lucky if I can achieve Paschimottasana C on a good day

Following the traditional rules, that would be one short primary series for me

Jonathon
Nick
Posted 2007-09-04 11:29 AM (#95616 - in reply to #95602)

Hi Jonathon,
I'd do you for patent violation, but unfortunately I didn't invent it Oh well. I'll get you if you tell any one about the sleeping baby trick though

nick
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-04 11:58 AM (#95619 - in reply to #95581)

so now would be a bad time to tell you about my new website then:

www.jonniesbabytips.com

Nick
Posted 2007-09-04 12:32 PM (#95620 - in reply to #95619)

TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-04 1:08 PM (#95626 - in reply to #95581)

Hey Jpg,

I would say this: In Mysore style the instructor will do everything possible to help you get into the posture. You can even repeat it. so, they are trying to get you through the series.

Usually you sign up for one month at a time and are expected to do the series 6 times a week. So, by not doing the full series right away your body gets used to doing this series slowly.

Mysore is the ashtanga method. Anything else is an offspring.

They do teach led classes in Mysore, India on Fridays and Sundays. this is taught to ensure that people are using the correct number of vinyasa for each posture.

I learned full series when I started, but now I'm leaning more towards the mysore method.

Hope this helps,

Eric

tmarques
Posted 2007-09-04 1:20 PM (#95628 - in reply to #95581)

Now I'm curious about Nick's core strenght sequence, but I can't find it - which forum was it posted in?
Nick
Posted 2007-09-04 3:09 PM (#95639 - in reply to #95628)

Hi Thyago,
Here it is-stop with any back pain, or feeling of tightness in the low back-iy usually means you need to tilt your pelvis to flatten the low back.

Assume the basic plank position (elbows on the ground)
Hold this position for 60 seconds
Lift your right arm off the ground
Hold this position for 15 seconds
Return your right arm to the ground and lift the left arm off the ground
Return your left arm to the ground and lift the right leg off the ground
Return your right leg to the ground and lift the left leg off the ground
Lift your left leg and right arm off the ground
Return you left leg and right arm to the ground
Lift your right leg and left arm off the ground
Return to the basic press up position (elbows on the ground) - as in the picture above
Hold this position for 30 seconds

jonnie
Posted 2007-09-04 3:24 PM (#95642 - in reply to #95581)

It hurts my abs even reading it
Nick
Posted 2007-09-04 3:49 PM (#95644 - in reply to #95642)

Hi Jonathon,
Muscle memory?

Nick
tmarques
Posted 2007-09-04 5:18 PM (#95652 - in reply to #95639)

Grazie - I have two classes to teach later, but I'll try it tomorrow before my own practice.
Nick
Posted 2007-09-04 5:32 PM (#95654 - in reply to #95652)

Hwy there,
In all likeleyhood, what will happen intially is that you won't be able to keep your pelvis and shoulders parallel to the floor, so that your spine will twist. Try to develop the ability to keep them parallel, and this is where the exercise really comes into its own. When this happens, you will develop the ability to practise yoga postures with the same aim or ethos-the ability to demonstrate perfect spinal posture under great duress, with the added benfit of extra flexibility of the shoulders, arms, hips and legs. Have fun in the morning! Although, I don't think the fun happens until your can keep those hips and shoulders parallel to the floor and the spine in neutral!

Nick
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-05 1:00 PM (#95685 - in reply to #95639)

So, it's right arm, left arm,
Child's pose
Right leg, left leg
childpose
etc...
Nick
Posted 2007-09-05 1:26 PM (#95691 - in reply to #95685)

Hi Eric,
I wish!

Nick
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-05 1:44 PM (#95692 - in reply to #95691)

I will try these.

Thanks for posting.

When you do plank. Are you reaching through your heels? Or are you pressing into the toes/ball of the foot? Are the shoulders over th wrists? Or in front of the wrists?
Nick
Posted 2007-09-05 1:55 PM (#95693 - in reply to #95692)

Hi Eric,
The elbows are on the ground, so the hands are in front of the shoulders-as for the foot bit, I'm not familiar with your terminology, but if you are saying what I think you are saying, the feet are at right angles to the calves, and the toes are at right angles to the feet-in other words, the tips of the toes are facing the backs of the elbows. To make it harder, I often try to pull on my elbows, as though trying to slide my forearms back towards my toes. This should make it harder on the abs

Nick
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-05 2:08 PM (#95694 - in reply to #95693)

That answers my question.
Nick
Posted 2007-09-05 6:00 PM (#95708 - in reply to #95694)

Hi Eric,
Good stuff-now hit those core muscles with a baseball bat

Nick
tmarques
Posted 2007-09-05 10:18 PM (#95729 - in reply to #95581)

hey, Nick. Had a chance to try it today. I think I managed to keep my hips aligned for the most part, but my knees and shoulders wanted to give up LONG before my abs, so I must be doing something wrong. I'll have to try it for a few more days.
Nick
Posted 2007-09-06 1:44 AM (#95746 - in reply to #95729)

Hi Therago,
You aren't necessarily doing it wrong-it's a core stability exercise, but core stability is basically a myth! On this planet, the stability of our 'periphery'-the arms and legs-is equally vital-in tree pose, doesn't matter how functional your core is, if your ankle has been injured, you will fall over. In a handstand, if your wrist is less than functional, you will fall over.
So, assuming you are doing the exercise correctly, the strain on your knees may be perfectly normal, and the benefits of the posture will still come-in fact, your attention is being drawn to areas of yuor body which you may not have even realized were weak, and the exercise is therefore increasing your awareness, and removing weaknesses. I remember I fell off my bike and for about a year, the left knee always got tired first, which I'd twisted in the accident.
The truth is, though, I've never met anyone who is capable of doing the exercise without fault-I'm sure they exist, but I've never met them. And if I met someone who could do the exercise without fault, then I could easily make it harder-a hip belt with weights attached to it, pushing against parts of their body which I can see are beginning to weaken, even putting one or more limbs on a balance board. I might do this kind of stuff if I was training an olympic athlete.
It would be possible to write a book about this exercise, and preparations for it, but one piece of advice would be to try to sweep the arms and legs away from the ground-a common mistake is to lift them straight off the ground. For instance, with the arms, try to slide your hand forwards over the floor, so that your arm is straight before you lift the hand off the ground. For most people, this would be a good starting point-to leave the hand on the ground, and gradually reduce the body weight on that limb. So make gradual transitions. This is a good way of feeling the abs-often, our alignment is kncked off, and the abs skate out of the way, so they don't tense up-exactly what happens in yoga postures, so I feel that many people do not have bandhas that are functional.
In my ideal world, we would have children doing this exercise a few times a week at school, or variations of it. The experts are now doing balance exercises like this in children with dyslexia and developmental problems. Rather than making it to adulthood with a body that is going to be injured by doing exercise, you've got a body which can withstand the punishment-so hopefully, you would have more adults enjoyng keeping fit.
Hmm, I can sense another book taking shape, and I haven't finished the first one-over and out!

Nick
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-06 10:42 AM (#95767 - in reply to #95746)

Nick - 2007-09-06 9:44 AM

it's a core stability exercise, but core stability is basically a myth!

Now you tell us
Nick
Posted 2007-09-06 11:15 AM (#95772 - in reply to #95767)

Hi Jonathon,
Hee hee-well, maybe not a myth, but there's some people making a lot of money out of promoting the abdominals as the be all and end all-conveniently forgetting that we have a neck and limbs. So they veil the truth, which is far more complex, and go on about transversus abdominus like it was some kind of holy grail-you know who I'm talking about It also allows them to be less knowledgeable.

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)