YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Desire
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-31 7:02 PM (#95474 - in reply to #95464)
Subject: RE: Desire

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2007-08-31 4:24 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-08-31 3:30 PM

I shall trust in you after you get married.

I'm working on it. Frankly, I'd rather live in a cave and eat nettles than date, but I'm working on it.

GJ, you're caving into the wrong things....you should be caving into the girl. Marriage is such a sacrifice to single life and the perfection of living alone. You're never going to find perfect, but what you do have to find is COMPROMISE. I think men have big issues with that lost art. Women really are more open to it than you think they are.

I'll never forget this one guy I dated a long time ago. He drove me nuts. Everything had to be so perfect. He even complained one time about the tube of toothpaste that I didn't straighten back out. I said forget it. Of course, now days...my toothpaste is perfectly shaped, He just didn't give me a chance, Oh well.....just thought I'd mention that.

I am so done with desire. It's probably the most disappointing emotion for humans that I can think of. Although....hmm I kinda desire to win that big lottery tonight...it sure could make a lot of people in my life very comfortable. I'd open up the biggest yoga studio ever...it would be one of a kind,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2007-08-31 9:20 PM (#95480 - in reply to #95474)

Cyndi - 2007-08-31 7:02 PM
GJ, you're caving into the wrong things....you should be caving into the girl. Marriage is such a sacrifice to single life and the perfection of living alone. You're never going to find perfect, but what you do have to find is COMPROMISE. I think men have big issues with that lost art.

No, actually I'm not, and if you knew the whole situation, I'm sure you would agree with me. Attempting any sort of compromise is the wrong approach. You don't compromise with the tiger that wants to eat you, and I don't want to compromise with the last girl I dated. It would be a very bad thing.

So I'm struggling with the dating thing as a result, and I have in the past. One day a woman worthy of compromising for will show up, until that time I'm going to keep on keeping on.

I'll never forget this one guy I dated a long time ago. He drove me nuts. Everything had to be so perfect. He even complained one time about the tube of toothpaste that I didn't straighten back out.

Sounds pretty bad. I must admit I can be that guy from time to time. Recognizing that in me, and being will to compromise has made it harder to deal with people who really shouldn't be compromised with.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-31 9:52 PM (#95481 - in reply to #95464)

I AM PROUD OF YOU. THOUGH YOU HAVE NOT MET ME YET!

GreenJello - 2007-08-31 4:24 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-08-31 3:30 PM

I shall trust in you after you get married.

I'm working on it. Frankly, I'd rather live in a cave and eat nettles than date, but I'm working on it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-31 10:00 PM (#95482 - in reply to #95467)

Dear Starzin:
I like your approach and goal. But, you must accept your limitations and work with that. You may reach the goal, but you must also be patient to reach there. If you find the limitations and the other goals you have such as work, income, etc. etc. are all becoming too much, you should consider one partner approach. Monisitic life is not for everyone. Anyway, that is my final input for you.

strazin - 2007-08-31 6:06 PM

What I will not do, however, is accept my sexual desire as a necessary side effect of my age. Many of you have said that it is natural for a young male to have strong sexual desires. I agree that this is true, but on the other hand it is also "natural" for people to be greedy, selfish, and afraid. Why should I give in to any one of these drives? I don't care if the desire is "good" or "bad". My goal is to be free of all of them.

strazin
Posted 2007-08-31 11:52 PM (#95483 - in reply to #95470)

jimg - 2007-08-31 6:12 PM
The goal to be free of desire is also a desire.

Yeah. I'm saving that one for last.
tourist
Posted 2007-09-01 12:44 AM (#95486 - in reply to #95483)

Expert Yogi

Well strazin, it is natural to have all that desire at your age, but you are absolutely right that you do not have to act upon it or let it rule your life. I was given a small box of chocolates the other day and I am looking at them right now. Part of me really wants to just eat them all right this minute, but for all those good reasons we both know, I will not do it, no matter how strongly they call my name...Did you know that dark chocolate has a louder voice than milk chocolate? Well, in my head it does, anyway
GreenJello
Posted 2007-09-01 10:22 AM (#95491 - in reply to #95481)

kulkarnn - 2007-08-31 9:52 PM

I AM PROUD OF YOU. THOUGH YOU HAVE NOT MET ME YET!

Thanks Neel. Let me know if you're going to be in Ohio again soon.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-01 11:43 AM (#95498 - in reply to #95491)

Expert Yogi

Well, this is interesting..this showed up in my mailbox this a.m. Here's a little blurp about desire and what HH Dalia Lama has to say. Very interesting.

"Attachment increases desire, without producing any satisfaction. There are two types of desire, unreasonable and reasonable. The first is an affliction founded on ignorance, but the second is not. To live, you need resources; therefore, desire for sufficient material things is appropriate. Such feelings as, "This is good; I want this. This is useful," are not afflictions. It is also desirable to achieve altruism, wisdom, and liberation. This kind of desire is suitable; indeed, all human development comes out of desire, and these aspirations do not have to be an affliction.

...when you have attachment to material things, it is best to desist from those very activities that promote more attachment. Satisfaction is helpful when it comes to material things, but not with respect to spiritual practice. Objects to which we become attached are something to be discarded, whereas spiritual progress is something to be adopted--it can be developed limitlessly, even in old age".

--from How to Expand Love by H.H. the Dalai Lama

tweeva
Posted 2007-09-03 7:06 AM (#95548 - in reply to #95467)

Veteran

strazin - 2007-08-30 12:06 AM

What I will not do, however, is accept my sexual desire as a necessary side effect of my age. Many of you have said that it is natural for a young male to have strong sexual desires. I agree that this is true, but on the other hand it is also "natural" for people to be greedy, selfish, and afraid. Why should I give in to any one of these drives? I don't care if the desire is "good" or "bad". My goal is to be free of all of them.

This surely sounds like a noble goal, but are you saying that you are trying to become free from your sexual desires by trying to suppress them?
Maybe you experience these strong desires so that you can learn something and grow. In fact, women can teach us men quite a lot in this particular area. In your original post you mention fear. What is the real cause of this fear, in your opinion?
What is your ultimate goal?

Tw

strazin
Posted 2007-09-03 1:40 PM (#95562 - in reply to #95548)

tweeva - 2007-09-03 7:06 AM

This surely sounds like a noble goal, but are you saying that you are trying to become free from your sexual desires by trying to suppress them?
Maybe you experience these strong desires so that you can learn something and grow. In fact, women can teach us men quite a lot in this particular area. In your original post you mention fear. What is the real cause of this fear, in your opinion?
What is your ultimate goal?

Tw

I am not saying there is anything wrong with sex. It is my attitude towards sex which I am trying to fix. I waste too much energy and time thinking about it, when I would prefer to focus on something else -- for example, if I am in a classroom, trying to pay attention to the lecture. I also experience too many negative thoughts when females are rude to me. I feel hurt, depressed, jealous, bitter, etc. My goal is not to supress the desire, but rather to be indifferent to it. I SHOULD think: If she likes me, great. If she doesn't like me -- also great.

You are right when you say that you can learn a lot about yourself from females. I am sure you can learn something from all of your desires (including greed, anger, laziness, etc.). That is a great attitude to have. But how many people actually have sex or fulfill a desire for "educational" reasons?

This reminds me of another question which I will ask in another post.
strazin
Posted 2007-09-03 1:52 PM (#95563 - in reply to #95337)

"Thoughts of passion and lust should be conquered by an earnest practice of Brahmacharya, by intense aspiration to realise the Truth, to know God, by meditating on the great advantages of purity."

- Swami Sivananda

I am not sure what this quote means exactly. In the context of the book, Swami Sivananda is explaining how a wrong thought can be fixed by thinking of the opposite "right" thought. For example, anger can be conquered by thinking thoughts of love; Pride can be conquered by thinking of the importance of humility, etc.

But how does a desire to realize the Truth relate to passion/lust? I don't understand how these are opposites. Also, how is purity related to passion/lust. And what exactly are the advantages of purity?

Ideas?
tweeva
Posted 2007-09-03 4:04 PM (#95569 - in reply to #95563)

Veteran

strazin - 2007-09-02 7:52 PM

But how does a desire to realize the Truth relate to passion/lust? I don't understand how these are opposites. Also, how is purity related to passion/lust. And what exactly are the advantages of purity?

Ideas?

I can't speak in Swami Sivananda's name, but he was a very wise man indeed. I wouldn't dare to alter or interpret any of his words.

I will give you a hint to show my viewpoint, though:
What is the main driver behind our sexual desires, and what is the natural outcome? How would you name this process?
We, "people of the West" are increasingly losing respect for this most sacred of all rituals (perhaps a Kali yuga effect). Hence my comments.

Tw

Edited by tweeva 2007-09-03 4:06 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-03 5:33 PM (#95574 - in reply to #95563)

Dear Starzin: This is a classical example of the fact that 'all knowledge can not always be gotten from the book'. The books are written with certain purpose in mind, with certain audience in mind, and certain background in mind. All these are NOT always spelt out. And, this is the situation with many books, including that of the great Swami Shivanandaji. Remember that these books were not written in the fashion of today's school books. But for certain audience, they immediately act or apply, and at least create passion of learning.

I was amazed (with pleasure) when I saw the American School books, as I started tutoring in Math. If I had that kind of book in India when I was a school boy, I can guarantee you that I did not need any teacher for my school course, and I would probably be a Mathematician today (I mean a Scientist!). Gee, these books are written so well, with background, objective, pictures, references, examples, etc. that I am surprised that a student comes to me for tutoring. And, when I ask they tell me they (students and teachers both) never read the book. But, they purchase it for high cost. Affluenza!

Anyway, to get back to your question, see below ===>.

strazin - 2007-09-03 1:52 PM
But how does a desire to realize the Truth relate to passion/lust?
===> To know the Truth in a ultimate way is for one 'who is ready to sacrifice everything else in the search of truth'. But, sacrifice does not mean giving up without thought. It means that giving up attachment and actually giving up the thing when necessary, not mechanically. This is an Intense Spiritual Practitioner as mentioned in my initial response. This is not one who does yoga exercise 1 to 2 hours a day, then take massage, then enjoys all other goodies, has a good job, enjoys with family, has kids, etc. But, this is the Monastic Student.

I don't understand how these are opposites. Also, how is purity related to passion/lust. And what exactly are the advantages of purity?
===> What happens is: The one who is not ready for such a path becomes frustrated and unsucessful by following the path of absolute celibacy. Not ready does not mean in the wish, but in the fact. There are many who think they are devoted students, and wish to be so. But, they actually are not.

But, for the one who is ready, the celibacy leads to 'an energy chemistry' called 'viirya' and that does definitely aid in the meditation and path of yoga, in an intense way. This is indicated by the Patanjaii Yoga Sutra ... brahmacharyapratishthaayaam virryalaabhaH... Note the word pratishthaa.. It means establishment. When one is established in the practice of celibacy (including other aspects as I mentioned in the initial post), one gets the virrya which has to be used in the meditation practice.

shraddhaa...****virrya****smrutisamaadhipradnyaapuurvak itareshaam.. Patanjali Chapter 1.

For those who are not that kind of student, celibacy means 'prayers, have only one partner, do not look at other women as your wife, and do NOT enjoy Candies'.

Peace

Ideas?
strazin
Posted 2007-09-03 7:41 PM (#95578 - in reply to #95574)

kulkarnn - 2007-09-03 5:33 PM
This is a classical example of the fact that 'all knowledge can not always be gotten from the book'.

Yes. I agree. Sometimes the truth can even slap you right across the face, and you STILL don't get it.

To know the Truth in a ultimate way is for one 'who is ready to sacrifice everything else in the search of truth'.

Okay. I am sure that this is true. But this idea is not something I can fully grasp at this point. I think my original question about purity is much simpler than this.

My goal is simply to put a positive spin on my desire to overcome my lustful impulses. Swami Sivananda advises us to get rid of negative thoughts by thinking of contrary positive, inspiring thoughts. For example, if you are depressed and gloomy, he reccomends to think of cheerfulness and bliss. Tell yourself, "I am full of cheerfulness. I am full of bliss." It is a wonderfully simple solution. Difficult yes, but you do not have to be an ascetic in search of the "ultimate" truth to benefit from this simple method of positive thinking.

Let me ask my question in a different way. What kind of positive, inspiring thoughts can I think about to replace my lustful thoughts? I have tried saying, "I am full of purity!" But I don't understand what is so good and positive about purity. I feel a bit silly asking about this, since purity should obviously be positive. Perhaps you could dumb it down for me. And I also don't understand why lustful thoughts are impure. A lustful person can not be pure? I don't understand why not.

I am not necessarily trying to become an ascetic and practice complete celibacy. I am simply trying to find a way to think positive thoughts when I am overcome by negative, lustful thoughts. What can I think about? If anyone has any other ideas for positive thoughts, affirmations, images, or qualities, I would love to hear it. I could use all the help I can get. Thanks.

And please, I know that there are many wise, experienced people on this board, and I really appreciate all of your wonderful help and advice. But please do not tell me that I am too young and "noble" and overambitious to resist my sexual impulses. I am determined to do this no matter what you say, so let's stop saying it please. And again, I am not trying to become an ascetic. One inch of progress is all I am aiming for, just ONE inch. Once I acheive that, then maybe I'll start thinking about the next inch. Thank you for understanding.

Edited by strazin 2007-09-03 7:42 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-03 8:32 PM (#95583 - in reply to #95578)

Expert Yogi

Hey Strazin,

The best thing you can do for yourself is get yourself a girlfriend, have some sex, and/or get married, become a householder. I'm very serious.

On the other hand......If you are even the slightest bit serious about your desire in relation to sex and think you are truly ready to give up all these aforementioned sexual desires for celebacy......best to go find a guru and follow his instructions to the "T". This I am being very serious as this is a very serious practice. Not one that should be embarked upon...ALONE, without a teacher/guru.

Best wishes.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-03 8:34 PM (#95584 - in reply to #95578)

Dear Starzin:
The key answers to your query is as follows:

a) You must develop respect and confidence for yourself. That means you must create a positive image of yourself.

b) Except your wife, or a definite fiance, or even a girlfriend whom you consider as fiance/wife (If I had a girl friend - what is that? - I would consider her as my wife only. What else?), all other ladies should be considered ONLY as: your sister, your aunti, your mother, your daughter, etc. This is the image you should develop to counteract your current lustful feeling.

Peace

strazin - 2007-09-03 7:41 PM

This is a classical example of the fact that 'all knowledge can not always be gotten from the book'.

Yes. I agree. Sometimes the truth can even slap you right across the face, and you STILL don't get it.

To know the Truth in a ultimate way is for one 'who is ready to sacrifice everything else in the search of truth'.

Okay. I am sure that this is true. But this idea is not something I can fully grasp at this point. I think my original question about purity is much simpler than this.

My goal is simply to put a positive spin on my desire to overcome my lustful impulses. Swami Sivananda advises us to get rid of negative thoughts by thinking of contrary positive, inspiring thoughts. For example, if you are depressed and gloomy, he reccomends to think of cheerfulness and bliss. Tell yourself, "I am full of cheerfulness. I am full of bliss." It is a wonderfully simple solution. Difficult yes, but you do not have to be an ascetic in search of the "ultimate" truth to benefit from this simple method of positive thinking.

Let me ask my question in a different way. What kind of positive, inspiring thoughts can I think about to replace my lustful thoughts? I have tried saying, "I am full of purity!" But I don't understand what is so good and positive about purity. I feel a bit silly asking about this, since purity should obviously be positive. Perhaps you could dumb it down for me. And I also don't understand why lustful thoughts are impure. A lustful person can not be pure? I don't understand why not.

I am not necessarily trying to become an ascetic and practice complete celibacy. I am simply trying to find a way to think positive thoughts when I am overcome by negative, lustful thoughts. What can I think about? If anyone has any other ideas for positive thoughts, affirmations, images, or qualities, I would love to hear it. I could use all the help I can get. Thanks.

And please, I know that there are many wise, experienced people on this board, and I really appreciate all of your wonderful help and advice. But please do not tell me that I am too young and "noble" and overambitious to resist my sexual impulses. I am determined to do this no matter what you say, so let's stop saying it please. And again, I am not trying to become an ascetic. One inch of progress is all I am aiming for, just ONE inch. Once I acheive that, then maybe I'll start thinking about the next inch. Thank you for understanding.
tweeva
Posted 2007-09-04 6:30 AM (#95600 - in reply to #95578)

Veteran

Dear Strazin,

I would like to help you further but I feel we are approaching the limits of this medium for communication.
You probably need face to face advice, so I suggest you find some proper guidance.
Perhaps Neel can help you further with this.

Knowing that it might be considered inappropriate for some on this forum, the picture at the link below illustrates my point of view.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/tweeva/linked/Woman.jpg
This was my final post on this subject. I wish you a good journey.

Tw
tourist
Posted 2007-09-04 10:14 AM (#95609 - in reply to #95600)

Expert Yogi

strazin - I hope you don't feel my comments are condescending or patronizing due to your age.(or any other reason). My comments were that your physical drive right now is as strong as a 1 year old's physical urge to learn to walk or my 50-ish self's hormonal drive to eat chocolate at certain intervals. These are built-in mechanisms that are strongly reinforced by social and cultural patterns. So what I am saying is not that the urges are impossible to curb, but that you are at the highest point of this biological/social drive, consequently the toughest time to reduce it.

Now, for turning negative thoughts to positive, this is another story altogether and perhaps not so difficult. Some people turn rejection against the person who rejects them- "oh, I didn't like her anyway, she is to short/tall etc." Not to mention rude. I would automatically reject those who were rude - why pursue someone with bad manners? Some become exceptionally choosy and have a wish list a mile long of all the attributes their ideal partner must have, automatically rejecting anyone who does not fall within those parameters. They tend to be lonely for a long, long time... I like Neel's example to treat every woman as though she were your sister or mother. This would automatically take away a lot of pressure and would likely make you appear quite likeable and approachable to others.
tourist
Posted 2007-09-04 10:18 AM (#95610 - in reply to #95609)

Expert Yogi

Here's an article I found from another news link:

Women 'choosier' over partners

Men placed a high store on beauty
Men look for beauty, while women go for wealth when it comes to assessing future partners, researchers say.

An Indiana University team looked at the behaviour of 46 people taking part in a speed-dating session.

They found that the men were more likely to go for the more attractive women, while women opted for those who could give the best financial security.

Men were also likely to want to date more women, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reported.

Speed-dating is becoming an increasingly popular way for singles to meet, involving scores of mini-dates whereby couples get a few minutes to get to know each other.

Men will often find themselves falling into relationships by default after starting off looking for sexual adventure
Dr Glenn Wilson, relationships expert

Researchers said speed-dating offered a good model to analyse the factors people take into account when choosing partners as it offered a "microcosm" of daily life.

During the research, participants were asked what they were looking for. The most common response was to find someone who was like themselves.

But once the speed-dating sessions began, participants began conforming to set patterns, according to the analysis of questionnaires filled in.

The report said men sought the more attractive women and the women were drawn to material wealth and security.

Furthermore, while men on average wanted to see every second woman again, the women wanted to meet only a third of men.

Choosing

Lead researcher Peter Todd said the study showed the public reverted to type when choosing a mate.

"While humans may pride themselves on being highly evolved, most still behave like the stereotypical Neanderthals when it comes to choosing a mate.

"Evolutionary theories in psychology suggest that men and women should trade off different traits in each other and when we look at the actual choices people make, this is what we find evidence for."

Dr Glenn Wilson, a relationships expert at the Institute of Psychiatry in London, added: "It is well known that men select women for fairly superficial reasons, whereas women think much more about the long-term and the qualities and resources needed to bring up children.

"Men will often find themselves falling into relationships by default after starting off looking for sexual adventure."
Orbilia
Posted 2007-09-04 11:00 AM (#95612 - in reply to #95610)

I read this article earlier.... another classic example of the scientific community researching the bleeding obvious!

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-04 11:07 AM (#95613 - in reply to #95609)

I got this from the Saints of India. However, when started, it does take a good amount of time to internalize. For example, when I came to USA, I did not much about Africans. In New Zealand, where I was before, there were almost none. I had a wrong idea of Africans due to whatever reading I had encountered before. When I started getting blacks in my Yoga classes, I found them to be different from what I was informed. I found them to be extremely intelligent, artistic, and beautiful. Not all, you know what I mean, they had many like this. Now, to change my view on them, I went to their homes, ate with them, and spent a lot of time with them. It took me long time to internalize my new finding. Today, I have at least 2 black women who are almost as as close as my blood sisters. Boy, that took a long time.

Whereas, with whites, it took much less time, and even I married a Hindu White woman, who is as Hindu as an Indian, perhaps.

tourist - 2007-09-04 10:14 AM
I like Neel's example to treat every woman as though she were your sister or mother. This would automatically take away a lot of pressure and would likely make you appear quite likeable and approachable to others.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-09-04 11:23 AM (#95615 - in reply to #95612)

I recently came across the following article. I'm not saying I agree with it necessarily, but it does include some ideas on your control concerns. Some build on what Neel has already said.

http://www.al-islam.org/m_morals/chap3.htm

Fee
strazin
Posted 2007-09-05 7:31 PM (#95714 - in reply to #95613)

Alright. It looks like nobody really understands my situation or my goals. We keep hammering on the same points over and over again. That's fine. I'm sure you all tried your best. But I am closing the discussion of this topic from my end. Thank you to everybody for the advice, suggestions, and ariticles -- and pictures.

By the way, Tweeva, that was a beautiful picture. But in the future, if I ever want a naked, tatooed woman to tell me why I need to have sex, I will just watch MTV.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-05 7:40 PM (#95716 - in reply to #95714)

Expert Yogi

Oh Strazin,

Relax. Somebody's bound to come along really soon and hit the nail on the head for ya. Hang in there!

I'm with ya on the naked tatooed woman picture..I didn't get it either,
GreenJello
Posted 2007-09-05 8:57 PM (#95725 - in reply to #95716)

Cyndi - 2007-09-05 7:40 PM
Relax. Somebody's bound to come along really soon and hit the nail on the head for ya.

Ya think that somebody's likely to nail him, wink, wink, nudge, nudge?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)