YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2 moons
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

raquel
Posted 2007-08-27 12:58 PM (#95162)
Subject: 2 moons

Have any of you seen the moon and mars encounter? I think its already happened in America. Mars is the closest its been to the moon in years and it will be another 200 years before it happens again, Apparantly you can actually see the red planet on the side of the moon, can`t see owt yet though, but will keep gazing
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-08-27 1:07 PM (#95163 - in reply to #95162)
Subject: RE: 2 moons

i'm pretty sure i did see it--like a big bright red star. it was cool. i could be wrong and just have seen mars in the 'normal' way though.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-27 1:09 PM (#95165 - in reply to #95162)

Well I think its a pretty rare phenomina, was it last night or night before?

Posted 2007-08-27 1:37 PM (#95171 - in reply to #95162)

week ago maybe? could have been yesterday? i have no idea. i have no concept of time.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-27 1:43 PM (#95174 - in reply to #95162)

At the moment I am an bit obsessed with the sky at night. In England because of constant cloud, I never got much regular viewing of the moon and stars, but here in Cyprus, I get a different picture every single night because there is never any cloud, (plus im sleeping on my balcony), and I am truely amazed.

Posted 2007-08-27 1:59 PM (#95177 - in reply to #95162)

beautiful, isn't it?

i love to be in places "in the black" without light pollution. it's really beautiful. I have had that experience where my parents live (though light pollution is starting to take over there), in africa, in NZ, and in other parts of N. America. it's really amazing.

i look at the sky a lot, even though there is so much light pollution here. i can still see the major constellations.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-27 2:10 PM (#95180 - in reply to #95162)

I know and the different positions of the moon as it moves around the Earth (which im a bit embarassed to say, never knew how it quite happened). It looks massive at the minute and so bright as if I could reach out and grab it, im mesmerised

Awsome power of nature!!!
jpk
Posted 2007-08-30 12:24 PM (#95393 - in reply to #95180)

raquel - 2007-08-28 7:10 PM

I know and the different positions of the moon as it moves around the Earth (which im a bit embarassed to say, never knew how it quite happened). It looks massive at the minute and so bright as if I could reach out and grab it, im mesmerised

Awsome power of nature!!!

(I've been on holiday so missed these posts but anyway..)

I'm with you there on the awesome power of nature, but now that you have woken up the resident astronomer I have to do the boring bit and say what's that about the Moon & Mars a few days ago? They were nowhere near each other - the Moon does get near Mars on Sept 4th, but it goes round the sky every month (near enough) so its not uncommon to go past each planet - and sometimes to pass in front of them [occultation - but not occult ].

To show the rough position of the planets against the background stars I made this little web page : http://www.mkas.org.uk/planetfinder.htm

All the best, and happy stargazing you lucky cyprus-dweller !
John
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-30 10:24 PM (#95417 - in reply to #95162)

The other night I was watching the clouds. It wasn't dark yet but the sun was setting, and the sky was tinged with pink and orange. I don't know the particular names for the different cloud formations, but the clouds were in straight rows through the sky. They were formed in a way that they looked like rows of angels viewed from the back, so that I was seeing angel wings all in a line across the sky. It was so beautiful, I had to sit outside with my dog and just look at them for a while. The sky is such a wonderful source of beauty and inspiration.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-31 2:26 AM (#95420 - in reply to #95162)

jpk - I was all geared up to see the 2 moons, but it all turned out to be a hoax, apparantly it did happen once on the 28th of august so now every year there is an email sent out conning evewryone into thinking it is happening again. I must say though I still got lots of enjoyment watching the sky and moon.
I have an outdoor bedroom at the minute because it is so hot indoors and I dont like sleeping with air con, the fans just make a loud noise and blow warm air, so I bought a bed for my verranda which leads out of my bedroom (equipped with mosquito net) Its the most amazing time im having. I fall asleep under the stars, I woke up the other morning at 5 it was still quite dark, the full moon was in front of me, and directly behind the sun was just beginning to rise. It gives me such an amazing sense of wellbeing,
Im dreading going back into my bedroom. I am becoming a ddicted to star gazing and moon worshipping!!! You just dont know its all happening quite so clearly in England.

Just quickly checked out your web site it looks great will use it as my main source of study, couldnt see the moon on there though, maybe not looking properly

bst gltmkr - I know what you mean, I love gazing at the sky. We have a salt lake in cyprus with mountains behind it, and the most glorious pink sunsets as the sun goes down behind the mountains, the pink flamingoes that inhabit there only add to the perfection of nature.

Edited by raquel 2007-08-31 2:31 AM
jpk
Posted 2007-08-31 12:23 PM (#95451 - in reply to #95420)

raquel - 2007-08-31 7:26 AM

jpk - I was all geared up to see the 2 moons, but it all turned out to be a hoax, apparantly it did happen once on the 28th of august so now every year there is an email sent out conning evewryone into thinking it is happening again.

Oh that one again, I remember it now

I have an outdoor bedroom at the minute because it is so hot indoors and I dont like sleeping with air con, the fans just make a loud noise and blow warm air, so I bought a bed for my verranda which leads out of my bedroom (equipped with mosquito net) Its the most amazing time im having. I fall asleep under the stars, I woke up the other morning at 5 it was still quite dark, the full moon was in front of me, and directly behind the sun was just beginning to rise. It gives me such an amazing sense of wellbeing,
Im dreading going back into my bedroom. I am becoming a ddicted to star gazing and moon worshipping!!! You just dont know its all happening quite so clearly in England.

Stop, stop - its torture reading this I'm so jealous!

Just quickly checked out your web site it looks great will use it as my main source of study, couldnt see the moon on there though, maybe not looking properly

You might have to scroll sideways to get the whole thing -depends on your screen size etc.

All the best,
John
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)