YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wedding
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

tourist
Posted 2007-08-26 11:50 AM (#95062)
Subject: Wedding

Expert Yogi

Well, my daughter got married yesterday and it was a wonderful day. The setting is gorgeous - a 3 acre property with flowers and greenery and a field where a lot of their friends set up a tent city. The ceremony was very nice (non-religious) and I managed to not cry through it, though my MIL and SIL apparently made up for it Another SIL broke any tension there might have been by sitting down on her lawn chair (it was on a slight slope) and promptly tipping backward and going a$$ over teakettle, luckily just before the majority of the people were there

The dress looked fabulous and I got lots of compliments, but frankly and with no modesty on my part, my daughter is nearly 6 feet tall and statuesque so she really made the dress. Not everyone could look as good in that sort of thing (strapless, very old Hollywood glamour) as well as she did.

The food was incredible, the speeches were generally short and sweet, nobody got sloppy drunk (or at least they waited past 11 pm when we left ) and nobody fell in the pool until long after the formalities were over. Actually, nobody fell in at all but the groom's sister pushed him and another fellow in, which I have to say, was pretty funny. She did wait until he was out of his new suit!

Funny stuff - they have chickens and apparently the rooster was crowing all through the ceremony, the weather was pretty good except for two or three little showers, one of which was enough to send everyone running for cover and madly stashing the gifts and guest book under tables and in odd places. Once that was over the sun came out and it was great the rest of the day and night.

Today is part deux where we go to see the gifts opened and have a champagne brunch. Her new in-laws apparently have endless energy and are hosting us all again - well, maybe not the entire tent city. They are going to need a serious vacation after this!

I will see if I can post some photos once people email them to me - especially the bride's maids for Green Jello
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-08-26 12:26 PM (#95064 - in reply to #95062)
Subject: RE: Wedding

Hi Glenda,
May they live long and prosper, as they say on the planet Vulcan Glad the day went well, well done for making that dress!

Nick

Posted 2007-08-26 2:43 PM (#95075 - in reply to #95062)

i'm glad that you had such a lovely wedding. i knew it was coming up--but i couldn't remember when it was. but, it sounds lovely. i look forward to the pictures.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-08-26 3:34 PM (#95077 - in reply to #95062)

This thread is useless without pics of the bridesmaids!!!!!!11!!!

Sounds wonderful Glenda, I hope your daughter has a long and happy marriage.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-26 3:51 PM (#95079 - in reply to #95062)

So they say rain on your wedding day is good luck! It seems your daughter had just the right amount of good luck, and not enough to ruin the big day.

Congratulations.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-26 11:05 PM (#95099 - in reply to #95062)

SisTourist is now MILTourist. Hurray! That is a great milestone in your household life. Congratulations!
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-26 11:54 PM (#95102 - in reply to #95062)

It sounds like a wondeful day.

You'll be a granny next

Jonathon
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-27 8:58 AM (#95135 - in reply to #95062)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2007-08-26 11:50 AM

I will see if I can post some photos once people email them to me - especially the bride's maids for Green Jello

I must be loosing it. I originally read this to mean that the Bride's Maids ate Green Jello,
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-27 9:00 AM (#95136 - in reply to #95135)

Expert Yogi

Oh yea, Congratulations Tourist for being a MIL. I suppose next year we'll be celebrating your Grandmahood, heehee
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-27 7:41 PM (#95195 - in reply to #95062)

Congrats Glenda! Glad to hear it went off well!!
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-28 6:13 AM (#95209 - in reply to #95135)

I tried to resist, honest I did, but it's just got to come out...... I think that's what GJ was hoping for!

Ok, I'm sorry..... I'm just off to perform a mala in repentence.

*wicked grin*

Fee

Cyndi - 2007-08-27 1:58 PM

tourist - 2007-08-26 11:50 AM

I must be loosing it. I originally read this to mean that the Bride's Maids ate Green Jello,

Edited by Orbilia 2007-08-28 6:14 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-28 6:15 AM (#95210 - in reply to #95209)

I'm glad your daughter's day went so well and that all enjoyed themselves.

You must be very tired but happy?

Fee

Posted 2007-08-28 7:45 AM (#95214 - in reply to #95062)

Congrats Tourist--glad it went so well (jealous too--my daughter's wedding was a disaster). And just so you'll be prepared for the next event, here's an avatar picture for you when you become: Glenda, the Good Grandma of the North.

(billieburke.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments billieburke.jpg (14KB - 65 downloads)
tourist
Posted 2007-08-28 10:38 AM (#95216 - in reply to #95214)

Expert Yogi

Hey, all that granny talk is making me nervous! I don't think that is in the near future, but probably at lest 5 years down the line. However they are off on a honeymoon in Italy tomorrow and it is a pretty romantic place, so you never know...

Posted 2007-08-28 11:07 AM (#95217 - in reply to #95062)

just because a place is romantic doesn't mean we forget how to use our birth control. LOL in fact, ryan and i become more extreme about it when we're in our favorite places. so, i wouldn't worry too much.

italy will be nice this time of year--though still very warm. so they can enjoy the beaches.
belle vie
Posted 2007-08-29 9:50 AM (#95290 - in reply to #95062)

Veteran

Congratulations Glenda on a wonderful wedding, both for you and for your daughter.

Do you, as one committed to yoga have any words or actions of wisdom to help keep down the stress of the preparations and the day itself? My daughter is getting married in some months--we hope--. She has some very definite ideas about what she wants--about all things in her life. Her desires for her wedding , small, simple, intimate (is that an oxymoron when applied to weddings?) meet with my total approval but how do I help her keep her equiibrium-- and mine -through the long months of decision making and delicate diplomacy

Posted 2007-08-29 10:05 AM (#95291 - in reply to #95062)

personally, the only thing that i found stressful about planning my own wedding was the chronic meddling of my MIL.

otherwise, the whole thing was quite simple. i made a list of what i wanted, researched it, made a decision, and went from there.

my MIL had the idea that a much bigger wedding would be necessary (she wanted to invite all of her friends). i told her she could invite 6 people total for her table (since the table sat 8 people total). that meant three couples.

when she complained, i told her that she would pay for additional guests on her own--at $89 per person (for the added table, flowers, dinnerware rental and meals).

my wedding had fewer than 50 guests (i would have prefered 25 or less, but my husband wanted about 50 total).

it was a nice, simple wedding that cost less than $7k all said and done. it wasn't at all stressful to plan (that took two weeks). and the only kink was MIL's bit about who she gets to invite.

beyond that, it's relatively simple. just stick with the original idea for the wedding, and go through each part piece-by-piece.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-29 10:58 AM (#95296 - in reply to #95291)

Expert Yogi

My advice is to have the whole thing at the other in-laws house, which is what my daughter did They are more able financially and paid for everything involving the house - tables, tents, glassware rental etc. So much was donated as gifts - the photos (professional in the family), food prep (professionals in the wedding party - helps to have a daughter who has friends from culinary school) etc. I made the dress and hemmed some suits. All of the women in the wedding party stayed at the home of a friend a few doors away from us, so we didn't have the "hen party" madness the night before. Mostly I just refused to get stressed The morning of the wedding I had a little bit of a speedy heartbeat and had a clear understanding of how some MOB's end up drinking too much on the day. I had a sense that if I just had half a glass of wine it would all feel so much better - and you can see where that all might lead! But the ceremony was at noon so there really wasn't time to go there even if I really wanted to!

Two fun things that people really enjoyed. 1 - the cake was all cupcakes. They were actually iced the morning of the wedding as the baker was from out of town. The grandfather-in-law brought the topper from his wedding cake. It would have been his 60th anniversary this weekend. Very sweet. 2 - the guest book was a scrap book. I borrowed the idea from someone else. Bought a scrapbook at the craft store (the kind where the pages insert into a plastic sleeve) and went NUTS on fancy markers and stickers - wedding stuff, cat stickers that look like their cat, things to do with their work and play. Everyone took pages back to their tables and the result is sooooo cool! Several families did a whole page on their own and groups of friends got together on some wild artwork, there are poems and all kinds of great things. They were still working on it the next morning. Plus they can expand the album and put photos in it when they get printed.

So my advice is no matter how much you are planning to do, make a list, be sure everyone knows what they are doing and keep checking in with them. When there is a choice, take the simpler one. Don't fall for drama - I worried a bit about the cupcakes but decided that if there was no cake, they would still be just as married My daughter has a similar philosophy, which helped. There are no wedding "disasters" (unless someone gets injured) just great stories to tell later
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-29 2:47 PM (#95322 - in reply to #95062)

That scrapbook idea is awesome.
belle vie
Posted 2007-08-30 10:49 AM (#95373 - in reply to #95062)

Veteran

Thanks for all the feedback and any others of you with wise thoughts. Actually ,you all sound a lot like my daughter, Maybe she is in better in control than I am. They( daughter and to be SIL), have set limits on the percentage of family versus friends already to alert all.They have the idea of a scrapbook (I like that idea too) and have sat (squirmed) through a lot of overly long ,complex weddings.

Actually, the wedding will be in the MIL,s town because the GMIL will be about 92 yeats old. MIL is a former caterer and now into interior design--what me worry . My worry is that she might take over. I live in France, my daughter on the east coast, FIL on the West Coast--a lot of emails A lot still remains to be decided. I'll keep you tuned in and thanks a lot.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-30 11:28 AM (#95385 - in reply to #95373)

Expert Yogi

The actual ceremony was less than 10 minutes. Not even enough time to think about fidgeting!
belle vie
Posted 2007-08-31 9:10 AM (#95433 - in reply to #95062)

Veteran

Ten minute ceremony sounds great, not enough time for my makeup to run since I'll be crying through the whole thing. Also, a good idea is to have the eats table nowhere in sight. If it is and the ceremony too long, you'll have a full scale rebellion on your hands.

I know from experience of speeches at French receptions, too long and too near the eats table. If you want to see the French lose their well known cool, stand far back and watch, unless you are part of the stampede
tourist
Posted 2007-08-31 10:42 AM (#95442 - in reply to #95433)

Expert Yogi

We also did away with the official speeches. My son MC'd and told some stories about his sister then invited others to come up and speak. We heard some great stories about the couple as kids - how his (the groom's) sibs used to trick him into getting into the toy box then sit on the lid, how my daughter met one of her best friends - that was one I didn't really know Both dads spoke a bit. It was fun
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)